Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,516
Reaction score
39,595
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Highly doubt Phantom Seer or many of the exorcist manga in general are an answer to Demon Slayer. Exorcist manga have been popular for quite some time regardless
But the demand may have increased even more after the demon slayer.

So much so that I thought that after the end of Kimetsu and TPN the jump would go after the manga of this type.
But they focused on comedy manga.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Can you believe that? A Roboco chapter about ghosts and NO reference to Yuuna?
I guess Ghost Tits was too ecchi even for M&R to make a joke reference about.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
if honomieru shonen or Bokura no Ketsumei are well accepted (at least one of them), I will be satisfied.
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Comments on this week issue:
Phantom Seer was good. The art is great and I like the horror aspects. I hope the girl stay useful when power escalates. The writer is clearly using a pen name here so I wonder if we already have seem some of their works.
TPGW had a meh ending but at least it didn't feel like a wasted ride for me.
Mitama special chapter was very funny.
I'm only a skimmer when it comes to MHA, but is it ending? It has ways to go out of these developments without feeling dragged?
Nothing worth a note in the other things I read.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
The girl's name is Risa Abebetsu, it means "Separation from love" ... The pain of separation from loved ones.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Phantom Seer had great art and was competently made, but there's just nothing that stands out the content about it whatsoever, this chapter was just a basic as possible exorcist series intro with the typical 'useless girl stands around while the ultra-strong main character beats the monster with no effort' set-up that we get all the time.

I hope it can do something more interesting as it goes along.
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Phantom peer was a decent start and it did definitely pick up towards the end. The art is what draws me in and hoping the characters/story will do so later on.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
One question, between the cancellation of david kun and the beginning of mitama was how long ?
 

Pudazuka

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2020
Messages
62
Reaction score
163
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Phantom Seer wasn't bad, but not really good either. It just felt pretty generic and doesn't have anything that sets it apart from other shaman stories - at least for now.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was fine this week, felt kinda anticlimactic just mopping up all the enemies but the ending was interesting

Seeing Mitama again was great, and as far as a bonus chapter goes it was really fun. Crossing over with Pidgeon's other series was a treat and I liked how they referenced stuff from the series like Joh's crying mode, the spirit blast, spirit man, and playing basketball. I'll really miss this series

Agravity was pretty good, I liked seeing the other crew again and the banter was fun

Undead was alright, felt like it was kinda just checking boxes, but it was still fun

Mashle was alright, mostly action, but I do like the bits of character

Moriking was fine, felt like it was doing the usual formula but nothing really notable this time

Ghost Writer had a pretty standard happy ending. Not much to say that hasn't been already. Good first chapter, gradually falls apart with stuff like insane pacing and treating Teppei as too much of a martyr. Loved the art at least

Ayakashi was fine, no strong feelings

Magu was great, I do really enjoy the cast interactions. Would've liked to see Magu a bit more this chapter though

Dolphin was alright, mostly felt like a setup chapter

Roboco was pretty good, I liked quite a few of the gags, especially towards the end

BtW was pretty good as well

Phantom Seer was better than I had expected, but we'll have to see where it goes. Had a bit of a slow start but everything on the train was cool. Loved the art too. I liked the parallels between Iori and Riku too. I think it has potential, we just have to see where it goes with it.

MHA, CSM, and JJK were also great this week.
 

Blink22

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2019
Messages
660
Reaction score
1,432
Age
32
Country
United States
Phantom Seer had fantastic art and the color pages were super clean. The first chapter felt like a mix between Shaman King and D.Gray-man. I enjoyed the interaction between our two protagonists and the sister gave off extreme Kisuke Urahara vibes. The world building seemed a little bit small but okay for a starting chapter.

The premise isn’t anything new and it does feel like a standard Japanese exorcist series but as it’s been said repeatedly, it’s all about the execution. It was fine and I enjoyed the characters and interactions between them enough that I think they can carry the series until the author starts introducing more interesting plots in the future.
 

NyanPower

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2019
Messages
360
Reaction score
773
Age
25
Country
Italy
Great great art for Phantom Seer. I found the chapter decent at most. It was good, but nothing special. It was literally the most standard 1st chapter I’ve read in a while. The art and the sister kinda saved the chapter
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
This is the first issue of WSJ where I'm up to date with every series in the magazine. Brief thoughts on the series I caught up with:
  • We Never Learn - I've been hurt before by the worst girl winning in Nisekoi so was resistant to read this, but since I looked into the multiple routes I gave it a go and (to my surprise) all the girls in this are pretty likeable though the series really suffered from an overlong filler middle and all the routes so far have been been a mix of highs and lows. In terms of the girls: Asumi > Fumino >> Rizu >>> Uruka > Mafuyu (having a teacher as a 'love interest' is just weird, guys).
  • Dr. STONE - Really wasn't fan of the Stone Wars chapters, but everything from Treasure Island onwards has been really fun. Wish I knew one of the major characters (Ryuusei Nanami) was bisexual because that's really cool, especially since he's such a fan favourite. Would have made me pick it up much sooner.
  • Ayakashi Triangle - I'm a completionist. I'm not the target audience for this, but I'm still gonna read.

The Great
1. Phantom Seer - Fantastic first chapter. While it is basically the same premise as Mitama Security and Ayakashi Triangle (high school girl who attracts spirits with a main character who exorcises them), instead of gags or fan service this plays up the horror. Both the art and comedy was improved from the one shot, it looked great. Hoping it manages to set itself apart from others of its kind in the coming weeks/months. I think having the shamans summon in combat would be nice though that seems more unique to the protagonist. High hopes for this one after a lot of lacklustre first chapters this year.
2. Burn the Witch - This is comfort food in manga form. It feels like I'm reading Bleach again, Kubo pacing and all.
3. Chainsaw Man - Makima... (-:
4. My Hero Academia - A+ action in the first half of the chapter but it felt so short.
5. Mashle: Magic and Muscles - Great end to a great fight. Definitely shifted from enjoying this series to being a proper fan now.

The Good
6. Black Clover - I'm a sucker for a captain meeting chapter. Curious to see how the new Vice Captain factors into things.
7. Dr. STONE - Well I guess Senku has a (temporary) girlfriend now then. Good chapter.
8. Jujutsu Kaisen - Nice double spreads this week. And that final kill in the chapter? Ouch.
9. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - After having this as my least favourite of the magazine since it started, this chapter was the first that I thoroughly enjoyed! Big fan of trading the crude humour for actual progression, actual villains, and a sense of direction. Much prefer this to the aimlessness of the previous chapters. This is what I wanted from Ryuhei Tamura.
10. We Never Learn - This is going to be the best ending, calling it. Senpai is the best girl. Loving that this all takes place in a time skip putting them both in their twenties and we don't need to fill in the gaps of the other girls.

The Decent
11. Moriking - Got a few chuckles from this but with the sudden dip in the rankings and less than impressive sales I can see the end on the horizon.
12. Mission: Yozakura Family - Enjoyable, but my main takeaway was that the art didn't really deliver the action scenes as well as they could.
13. Me & Roboco - Didn't reach my usual laugh quota this week.
14. Time Paradox Ghostwriter - Well that's a shame. Teppei gets away with plagiarising and succeeds with such ease that it just all feels a bit hollow. Rather than a crammed final chapter this one felt so padded, as if it only had six pages worth of content left. This is sure to disappoint a lot of newcomers.

The Rest
15. Agravity Boys - It might just be me accepting its eventual fate but I keep wanting the series to take itself in a better direction now that the series is likely not going to last that much longer but I don't think that's going to happen.
16. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - At least Magu was cute as ever.
17. Undead Unluck - No thoughts.
18. Ayakashi Triangle - This is probably going to be last place every week for me but at least it's a quick read.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Phantom Seer is missing a certain something that just leaves it in the "oh that was a manga, oh an hour or two later I've forgotten about it and it has left no impression on me" category.

Felt like its an answer to Hell Warden Higuma more than an answer to Kimetsu no Yaiba: Demon Slayer, especially when you consider tone of the series (it fits way more the Higuma aesthetic than the Demon Slayer).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top