Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Hi everyone! Wanna join the conversation.

Possible unpopular opinion: Mashle is fun and has a great art and characters (and I like it!) but... where is it going? Isn't the plot too simple at the moment?

I want to love it but for the moment I can't find anything exciting on the plot... just fights for the sake of fights
We are getting glimpses of what the potential main plot is with this chapter. Mashle has made itself interesting enough without a main plotline to get behind. I'm sure we'll get more as we go forward.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Nice follow-up chapter to last week that I certainly wasn't expecting. Seeing Ren get close with Naputaaku has been a pleasant surprise as well.
2. Undead Unluck - Fantastic chapter. I'm really interested to learn more about this development, and Fuuko was very cute in this chapter.
3. Mission: Yozakura Family - Cool battle, and some more interesting details were revealed. Hopefully these high rankings will keep up, and maybe it'll even join Mashle and Undead's campaign.
4. Ayakashi Triangle - The best chapter in a long time. The artwork was top-notch this chapter, and I can't wait to see what happens next week.
5. Mashle - Pretty good chapter this week, albeit a bit fast-paced with some of the developments. Looks like we're gearing up for another butt-kicking.

The best of the rest:
6. Me & Roboco - The parodies were pretty great this week, even though the chapter itself wasn't quite as funny as the last few weeks' chapters. I'm really curious to see what that color page will look like next week.
7. We Never Learn - Another pretty good chapter, but nothing has happened that's been mindblowing yet. So far, this is ranked smack-dab in the middle of the 5 girls' routes for me.
8. Chainsaw Man - To remain as spoiler-free as possible, some things never change lol.
9. Moriking - Some parts were a little funny, but these fight scenes have been pretty disappointing. They always get summed up into a single panel as just the aftermath, which is a bummer.
10. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - The first chapter didn't do anything for me really, but the second one was decently funny. The sister's not really funny, but the dad's one of the funnier characters.
11. Honomieru Shonen - This chapter didn't really do anything for me. It was a pretty dry, exposition-heavy chapter.
12. Agravity Boys - Yet another unfunny chapter.
13. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - The plot for these chapters is just so jarring and doesn't flow nicely from one to the next. This reminds me of how weird chapters of Yui Kamio felt.
14. Our Blood Oath - Dropped. This is just too painful.
 

c3pman

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 16, 2013
Messages
47
Reaction score
84
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I hope you are all right because Mashle characters and lore are great and have a lot of potential, if Koumoto adds some suspense it could become a hit.

About the Golden Future Cup entries: so far the 3 released oneshots had great art and looked interesting. I wish Mangaplus would translate it and let international readers enjoy them.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Recently I caught up to Mashle. I enjoy it, but for me it’s just that the entire series feels like an accumulation of a bunch of different things the creator likes. In a way this isn’t uncommon to manga, but for me with Mashle, it just never goes beyond being the “It’s One Punch Man meets Black Clover but at Hogwarts” elevator pitch.

I’d still recommend it and describe it as being a good series, but I just never get anything more than what I described above.
 
Last edited:

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,442
Reaction score
3,619
Age
26
Country
United States
I can't believe Roboco and Undead both had chapters about pitching manga this week, and it's even plot relevant in Undead's case! Overall I found this to be a pretty solid issue. Our Blood Oath has gotten to a point where I'd describe it as at least competent (a step up from the first few chapters) but it's still mostly pretty boring. If it ends up ranking well I hope that the author is able to get more focused, and if it gets axed I hope they can polish their craft more before a return.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Jujutsu Kaisen: You can't call yourself a Man among men if you are not ripping off your shirt. xD That guy's power is pretty interesting, more like a time-freeze ability than a healing ability. Just glad it ain't zero, there is still hope. The team-up gonna be epic in the next chapter's battle!!!

Dr.Stone: This was quite mathy and interesting. Those cool poses were so not needed though.^^;

OP: So basically the cooler version of Zombies? Get it? XD

Yozakura Family: Yae is really versatile, isn't she?

BC: Ain't reading it.

CSM: YES! YES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! Pretty cool reveal, can't wait for the Color Page curse to become real, Ponchita a cute and lol that ending. xD

Mashle: This school really is lawlessness. Even in Hogwarts you had at least the feeling that the teachers are trying to keep students out of danger or have some sort of safety net in order. Here it is might makes right, it is far more a delinquent magic school scenario ala Beelzebub then HP. I wonder if we will ever find a magician who can actually take on Mash because I doubt this rock-licker can.

OBO: We're Vampire Nazis now. Messy eating Vampire Nazis. Just waiting for the Human Vampires or some Werewolves who are also Vampires but furry ones. Also dang, mother! Shouldn't you as her parent make sure that your daughter did not forgot her blood thermostat?

M&R: HeroAcademica and Undead Unluck getting ripped off by Roboco, lol. She will fare much better at Ruri's student.^^

AT: So Ikons, Iyous and Jiyous ain't real ayakashi aka historical yokai you can find in fairytales and stories and such? Ninokuro being a bro and letting his kouhai having all the spotlight when he could have used his lighting speed to go rescue Suzu's thighs himself. xD I expect this fight to be over with next chapter and that guy to be a recurring ayakashi enemy. Gotta admit I hope we get past this damsel Suzu trope pretty quickly.

Kokosei Kazoku: Two chapters, first one was actually quite nice. I was worried how little sis will make genuine friends at school, but now she got one her age with a nice story behind it. And the dad is soooo useful, shame he sucks at the whole school stuff. :P

UU:
Lol, I did not expect this development though I feel like I say that often in regards to this series. That meta thing, man. I bet the criticism was what Tozuka had to listen to as well when he first brought in his One-shot. After all plenty people in this very forum did say the art was old-school or "bad". The ending was pretty interesting, makes me want to meet the author and the artifact she or he or it was using. Still, a 101 volume Shoujo manga with battles, tons of Sci-fi elements and lots of romance, this does sound like something even boys could enjoy.

PS: Creepy, I like it! And MC finally gets serious, nice.

WNL:
Sensei Fanservice does what Sensei Fanservice does best, providing fanservice. Have to say though so far I like Senpai's arc the most. Sensei gotta do more than just look sexy and act innocent to beat the previous arc.

Magu-chan:
That's one way to beat a cold, I guess. Also shipping wars next chapter?

AB: So does this mean we will see Chris nipples when this series end? AXE PLEASE! Jokes aside (or am I kidding?), the haikus were pretty good and dumb. How this brother could be so braindead to do this for ten years is beyond me but then again silly stuff is this series go-to explanation for everything.^^

HBC&D: Eeeeeeeeeh, this chapter didn't quite caught me. Felt bloodless.

Moriking: Yeah, this going to end in the next half a dozen chapters. Probably even before ch.30. The only one I gonna miss is Shoko, girl was a good straight man for the insects jokes. And Oka's habit of nomming other insects, that was also nice.

A few chapters in here which were damn nice to read (Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsawman, Undead Unluck), the rest above mediocre, mediocre or just bad to read (Hardboiled Cop & Dolphin, Our Blood Oath, Moriking). Think I might split my votes a bit more than I had done for last week,
 

Discomusic

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 20, 2020
Messages
623
Reaction score
1,697
Age
40
Country
Italy
1. Mission: Yozakura family: When I finished composing my list, I was like "Wait, Yozakura is first?". Not sure it would have made it in a different week, but I suppose it deserves a praise for being the M.I.P. of 2020. Nice fight, cool new character, clear motives with a tone of dark, its recent popularity is definitely well-deserved.
2. Me & Roboco: Have we learned more about how Jump works from Bakuman or from this chapter? Reference humour at its best.
3. Hard-boiled cop and Dolphin: I'll keep an eye on the lifeguard, something about him doesn't convince me at all. Apart from that, Samejima and Orpheus are cool as always and the scene of the girl surrounded by dolphins was great. How can I be the only one to love this, is beyond me.
4. Dr. Stone: This answers a question that was bugging me since a couple of chapters: "How did they know that particular detail?". They then proceed to take an entire chapter to explain how do they know that. Science is pure perfection.
5. Jujutsu Kaisen: A little lower than usual, mostly because not much happens apart dealing with Yuji's internal struggle, but good anyways. Very shonen-y in its motivation development.
6. Undead Unluck: Today is the meta-manga day! In perfect UU style this time. Unluck got a bit lucky in the end, though.
7. Chainsaw Man: Look who's back. I suppose there's something behind her final actions. It's not over yet.
8. Ayakashi Triangle: This one is improving, I have no problem in admitting it. The villain is the most devious we have seen in a while, it adds a lot to the story.
9. One Piece: Good old transitional One Piece chapter, setting up for something bigger. We are at the point where it's hard to remember who is where.
10. Black Clover: And the fight goes on. Not much else to say here.
11. High School family: First time I found a chapter actually funny! The first one, actually. The second one not so much, but I enjoyed it anyway because I like math.
12. Mashle: The talk of the week I guess. As much as I like that finally there seems to be a bigger plot going on, I'm just too tired from this arc and I'm in need for a change of scenario to appreciate it again.
13. Moriking: The part with Oki was a big Dragon Ball reference, right? Unfortunately, that's all I liked from this chapter.
14. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: Today's a big day for Jump and Dragon Ball references (but I may start to question a lack of original ideas). Apart from that, I loved the last chapter but this one underperformed for me.
15. Phantom Seer: Exposition is necessary, unfortunately, to set up what may turn out good in the following chapters. Most of the times though, the price to pay is a boring exposition chapter.
16. Our blood oath: Evil vampires arrived! They lack something for being really interesting. The fact that we see our hero as a delivery boy for vampires doesn't help. Also, 0.2% isn't that low of a percentage, isn't it?

Binge update. Black Clover 1-200: Up to chapter 60. After reading the first chapter my thought was: "This is axe fodder!". Then came the Black Bulls to save the day. After ending an arc that stretched for too long (starting with some random kidnapping and ending with the most powerful forces until now colliding), at the point I'm in it seems interesting again. I can see now why Early Black Clover is so divisive among fans.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Btw, those two guys with the tennis rackets in the preview - are we getting a sport series about tennis in Jump or is this only a one-shot to test the waters for fresh sport series in Jump now that new spots are open in the magazine? Still hope for a sci-fi racing theme with transformer stuff in the racing car or BloodBowl in a fantasy world (saw a RAW Isekai manga recently where conflicts in the other world are solved by baseball and guess what our MC can do and how many girls are in his team, lol). Probably will never get it, but one man can dream and hope.

Hi everyone! Wanna join the conversation.

Possible unpopular opinion: Mashle is fun and has a great art and characters (and I like it!) but... where is it going? Isn't the plot too simple at the moment?

I want to love it but for the moment I can't find anything exciting on the plot... just fights for the sake of fights
It seems aimless but the goal has been told from the start, find a way to live in a society that is all about magic power aka reform it. Or just beat the crap out of it until they change their ways. We just haven't had a chapter yet where Mash could do that because he was so busy beating up students for trying to mess with him and/or his friends. We might get to that soon though.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Btw, those two guys with the tennis rackets in the preview - are we getting a sport series about tennis in Jump or is this only a one-shot to test the waters for fresh sport series in Jump now that new spots are open in the magazine? Still hope for a sci-fi racing theme with transformer stuff in the racing car or BloodBowl in a fantasy world (saw a RAW Isekai manga recently where conflicts in the other world are solved by baseball and guess what our MC can do and how many girls are in his team, lol). Probably will never get it, but one man can dream and hope.
It’s a GFC oneshot, if I’m right.

If a sports series is coming in the next batch, the safe bet would be Blue Box.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Dr. Stone is incredibly strong week after week now, its surprising how dull it start and how impressive it became. If the first "war" could be erased from the annals of manga history this would be the best manga in jump since KHR.
 

ItsSamu

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2020
Messages
651
Reaction score
2,890
Gender
Male
Country
Scotland
This wasn't my favourite issue. It felt like a there was a lot of set-up chapters rather than anything that memorable happening for most series, but there were a couple of surprising winners for me this week.

My enjoyment of Me & Roboco is nothing new, but this was easily the funniest chapter of the series, gave me proper belly laughs. All the Jump references were amazing. I can't decide what was my favourite gag - the parodies of other WSJ titles or Roboco's dread for serialisation? Actually, I think it's the 'Defeat Oda' panel. Some of my favs of the chapter are:







The other major shock of the week was Undead Unluck, which also had a meta manga chapter, except it managed to fit into the story! This is the most fun I've had with the series, which I've never fully bought into or got invested in, so count me surprised but impressed; I love when I get won over by a series that I didn't initially like. The only other major highlight of the week is once again Chainsaw Man with the return of a certain character and its usual anarchy.

Phantom Seer, One Piece, Black Clover, and Mashle were all good enough, but didn't stand out compared to their recent chapters. Hopefully they're all building up to something better. Jujutsu Kaisen didn't connect with me at all this week after a few stellar chapters, waiting for something massive to happen now. Similarly, this chapter of Dr. Stone was everything I dislike about the series - excessive sci-fi jargon that's no fun to read and all serves to reach the next plot point by the final page of the chapter. I know it's nothing new for the series but I much prefer reading Boichi flex his artistic muscles and witnessing some exciting plot developments rather than filling in these gaps with excessive dialogue. On the other hand Mission: Yozakura Family is making good strides with this current arc. Pair that with its current rankings and the series is in a good place right now.

The usual suspects at the bottom continue to disappoint. In terms of which seem to be reaching their end, I wouldn't be surprised if Moriking ends in 2-3 weeks, and honestly I hope it does because I haven't been invested for months. Agravity Boys could wrap up whenever it wants, especially with this newly introduced villain seemingly dealt with already, though part of me hopes it manages to survive despite all odds. Magu-chan hasn't really established a clear direction for the series other than daily hijinks, so if it is in danger it could come from nowhere and might not need to be foreshadowed with a rushed narrative.

My ranking of the chapters compared to last week:
  1. (+7) Me & Roboco
  2. (+3) Chainsaw Man
  3. (+9) Undead Unluck
  4. (-1) Phantom Seer
  5. (-4) One Piece
  6. (+1) Black Clover
  7. (-1) Mashle
  8. (+1) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  9. (-5) Jujutsu Kaisen
  10. ( - ) Agravity Boys
  11. (+4) Mission: Yozakura Family
  12. (-1) Dr. Stone
  13. ( - ) We Never Learn
  14. ( - ) Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin
  15. (+1) Our Blood Oath
  16. (+3) Ayakashi Triangle
  17. ( - ) Moriking
  18. ( - ) Magu-chan: God of Destruction
Time to rank Jump this week. This has been a really good week. Yozakura Family has been surprisingly my favorite manga this week, it has been really amazing. You can notice the Haikyuu editor doing wonders in the manga.
Do we know when roughly Mission: Yozakura Family changed editors? Other than the fan submission chapter it's been on a steady incline with the last two arcs so if it's around there then things make way more sense now.
 
Last edited:

mangaman93

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 2, 2019
Messages
25
Reaction score
46
Age
32
Country
India
I really don’t understand whats going on with CSM anymore. I hope to read again someday in full when the series is done. An anime would be great too! But i wonder if we are getting that.
 

Minsel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2019
Messages
1,269
Reaction score
3,125
Age
24
Country
United States
I really don’t understand whats going on with CSM anymore. I hope to read again someday in full when the series is done. An anime would be great too! But i wonder if we are getting that.
probably unpopular opinion, but CSM peaked chapters 40-70 and now its in third act, and we know from Fire Punch fujimoto sucks at third acts
 

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Pretty weak and bland issue for me. Jujutsu Kaisen's chapter was the clear highlight by far, with Mashle and Phantom Seer being behind but not even close to being up there. Still enjoyable stuff. Me & Roboco surprised me with all the meta jokes, a blink and you could miss a reference but I'm glad I got all of them.

Chainsaw Man hasn't really done it for me for the past weeks, it's hit or miss everytime, which is sad given how much I've enjoyed the series but I hope Fujimoto gets back on track. While still not as good as I hoped it was, really glad Yozakura has been putting a lot of focus on it's main storyline now, which is something I've wanted from the start.
 

FireFantasyVI

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 10, 2019
Messages
235
Reaction score
455
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yozakura was alright this week, I like that they're fleshing out Tanpopo a bit more but the conflict felt a little random

Agravity was good, gag landed somewhat well. The bit about the time machines at the start makes me think the end is near

Undead was great, really creative non-combat focused chapter, and the series existing within itself is cool

Mashle was pretty good, nice action and most of the gags actually landed for me

Morking was okay, some decent gags but it can't get the stench of death off of it

Ayakashi was good, the antagonist was whatever for me but otherwise good chapter

Magu was alright, gags didn't really land and the resolution felt a little quick but nothing really bad about it

Dolphin was okay, not really sure where this arc is going, hopefully we learn more about the cult stuff

Roboco was great, funny how both it and UxU had manga chapters, on top of Roboco directly referencing it. Really good setting to use it's reference humor to the fullest

Phantom was alright, will have to see how this arc goes

The first HSF chapter was good, not super funny but it was wholesome, and the second might have been my favorite so far, landed really well for me

Blood Oath was hilariously edgy, really don't care about it anymore

OP, Dr Stone, CSM, and JJK had great chapters this week
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Dr. Stone is incredibly strong week after week now, its surprising how dull it start and how impressive it became. If the first "war" could be erased from the annals of manga history this would be the best manga in jump since KHR.
Are you trolling
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

This weeks best chapters in no order

OP, BC, JJK, CSM, Dr.Stone, UxU and HF. The rest bored me.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #47 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #47 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

These last months the number of voters has been quite low, specially in the comment ones, let's vote guys, it's super easy and a fun thing to do while also showing love for your favorite series! :super :^_^


The extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 65
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 51
-Jigokuraku 116
-World's End Harem: Britannia Lumiére 16
-Ghost Reaper Girl 8
-Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective 3


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top