Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2020] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #51 - VOTING!​

The poll for issue #51 is now open, vote for your favorite chapters of the week clicking HERE!

Alongside the release of Sakamoto Days, the extra series this week are:

-Dragon Ball Super 66
-Boruto: Naruto Next Generations 52
-Ghost Reaper Girl 10


Good Votes!
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Moderator Notice:
Henceforth, I will be deleting posts that complain about Weekly Shonen Jump having too many/not enough gag/battle/exorcism/sports/etc series.

These posts are not insightful, and do not meaningfully contribute to this thread. Also, this decision is not up for discussion, so posts discussing this decision will also be deleted.~ Halloween
 
Last edited:

Ryuusei

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2019
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
12,832
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
呪 僕 O マ ブ S C D 破 C B 夜 C 僕 あ 灼 ぼ チ 高 ア 森 A 仄 ぼ 次号カラー ヒロアカ アンデラ 夜桜 約ネバ 道産子 GIGA 岸本先生が描くコラボポスター 爆豪クリアファイル
Jujutsu Kaisen (Cover & LCP)
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Mashle
Black Clover
Sakamoto Days (CP)
Dr. Stone
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (CP)
Build King
Mission: Yozakura Family
Me & Roboco
Ayakashi Triangle (CP)
Shakunetsu no Niraikanai
We Never Learn
Chainsaw Man
Koukousei Kazoku
Undead Unluck
Moriking
Agravity Boys
Honomieru Shounen
Bokura no Ketsumei

Issue #1
Cover & LCP: My Hero Academia
CP: Undead Unluck, Mission: Yozakura Family, The Promised Neverland, Dosanko Gyaru wa Namaramenkoi

GIGA Preview
Collab poster by Kishimoto
Bakugou clear file
 
Last edited:

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Usually he is. But he's allowed to have an opinion and maybe he just thoroughly enjoys Dr. Stone as a manga right now.
I was more surprised because he said Dr.Stone started off dull and saying its the best thing since KHR... I love KHR but I don't hear it being glorified like that much.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I actually quite liked Blood Oath this week, it had some good world building with a new serious plot introduced that linked well to it and to the previous arc, a lot more cohesive than it's been up to now (which is what it needs since it has good ideas imo, held back by the bad storytelling).

Definitely feels like it's in the wrong magazine though, this is clearly a Jump SQ series that's gotten lost.
 

Azure Warrior

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
367
Reaction score
315
Age
32
Country
United States

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
1,218
Country
United Nations
(In order of reading, without seeing any other comments or spoilers.)

JJK: Somebody really HATES coming up with chapter titles.

OP: Still chaos.

BC: I was actually disappointed this chapter wasn't longer. Been a while since that happened.

Mashle: Another bad guy, with an attitude almost indistinguishable from the last. I'm bored.

OBO: Slice of life again? I guess it helps to flesh out the world, but it's not very exciti- I take that back. No wait, actually I don't. It's still not very exciting, just gratuit violence for the sake of shock. It doesn't even work to make the bad guys interesting.

Phantom Seer: ... I want to read that Sherlock Holmes spin-off. This is a series where I dislike most of the characters at first sight, but then change my mind about them as soon as I get to know them a little better. Really digging the mystery plot, too.

Dr Stone: Chrome being happy for Senku is the cutest thing. Boichi is a genius, being able to convey so much subtlety with just his art. And so is Inagaki, because this chapter of nothing but talking didn't bore me for a second.

UU: Whaa..? I mean, it's not that it isn't interesting, but that was a little too meta for me. (I guess they got really annoyed by people pronouncing the title wrong? But seriously, I'm getting Time Paradox Ghost Writer vibes here.) I also don't get the point, I mean, if you wanted to see the raws, why not just send a spy in there? You have a entire team of people with magical powers, this shouldn't be so hard. I don't mind an inside joke at times, but not when it feels like it's derailing the plot.

Cop & dolphin: I don't remember who half of these characters are and I don't care enough to look it up. But I hope we'll be getting an explanation for why the dolphins are helping the guy with the most boring motive ever.

WNL: ... Why do people like this character...? Nevermind, it's almost over anyway.

High school family: This is sad. Reading this makes me feel sad. I feel bad for everyone in this series.

Me & Roboco: Another one? How did we end up with 3 Undead x Unluck manga in the same issue? And the TPGW vibes are even stronger here. Though I sorta gotta admire Jump for being okay with this level of self-mockery.

Moriking: What's with the references this week?! Was it Jump week or something? Was everyone encouraged to work Jump and its history into their manga somehow? They're not even trying to be subtle about it.

Magu-chan: Trope, trope, trope, trope, product placement, trope. Jump week it is.

AG: It was funny for, like, two pages.

Yozakura: Kind of disappointing after last chapter. The mystery is all gone, the father plot falls flat and Taiyo is completely on the defensive. What a shame.

AT: Another common trope story. Only this time I don't think it was the intent.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Bokura was quite good, that gore actually caught me off guard, didn't expected the brutality, i thought the structure of the chapter was well done and very easy to read, it flows better than the last chapters, new characters has some good designs, there's a lot of potential in the series, and i do wish is a success because i'm very curious to see what is the author's plan for the story.

Yozakura was great, the last double page was fantastic, Gondaira's art has been on fire lately.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I was more surprised because he said Dr.Stone started off dull and saying its the best thing since KHR... I love KHR but I don't hear it being glorified like that much.
What is KHR
 

DreamcastDazia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2019
Messages
792
Reaction score
628
Gender
Male
Country
England
Aaaah. I usually see ppl just call it Reborn. I’ve never seen it actually be referred to in acronym form until now
Its a weird one. I always forget people call it that. So it took mr a minutes to realise what he was talking about. I usually read KHR as Kingdom Hearts Recoded. So ur not alone :P
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Both High school family chapters got some good laughs out of me, I didn't enjoy this manga at first but iI'm starting to look forward to reading its chapters every week
Mary Taiyo got a new asspull power up future sight Haki it even came with his own Rayleigh training flashback, and a convenient second form for his gun too because why not
Roboco was pretty funny too, and this comes from the person that usually frown upon seeing reference humor, was the editor stealing the work of Roboco a TPGW reference or just a throwaway joke? because if it was intentional then damn that was brutal


the rest of jump is more of the same
on the Plus side of things I'm digging Ron Kamonohashi, I just hope they don't go overboard with Ron going full Shinso and brainwashing quirk
keep it typical detective stuff please, no need for supernatural elements
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Roboco was pretty funny too, and this comes from the person that usually frown upon seeing reference humor, was the editor stealing the work of Roboco a TPGW reference or just a throwaway joke? because if it was intentional then damn that was brutal
TPGW itself was a throwaway, so I think it was probably just a coincidence lol
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
the sad thing is TPGW might seems like a Jump axe fodder from the outside but its author was trying really hard to make us feel bad for Teppei
It definitely backfired in every way to me. The MC just came off as annoying and whiny. I couldn't sympathize with him whatsoever. Plus, TPGW having a character on its final cover that didn't even appear in the series has to be a legendary "screw this" moment to the remaining readers, maybe even more than Noah's Notes or Ziga's endings.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was more surprised because he said Dr.Stone started off dull and saying its the best thing since KHR... I love KHR but I don't hear it being glorified like that much.
Taiju isn't exactly the most interesting character, and the series just felt like it was trying to figure out what it was trying to be. While some of the hijinks in the village were interesting, they largely were interesting when it involved Senku making a name for himself and showing the glory of science to Chrome or outsmarting Gen. I largely skimmed much of that first arc and war when it didn't have panels or content I cared about.

Afterwards, well, it became something special.

Reminds me of KHR in that its 1st portion is pretty forgettable (only memorable when the anime vastly improved it) before it became a beautiful thing.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,517
Reaction score
39,604
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Tbh i think the Stone Wars, specially what was supposed to be the climax of it, was the worst part of Dr. Stone, personally because there was zero tension in everything, you just knew that literally no one would die or get badly wounded in that conflict because Senku with the power of science would make everything possible, even Tsukasa got away extremely easy, fortunately Inagaki was able to bring the quality up after that.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top