Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Weekly Shonen Jump #52 (2021)
Dorondororon (New Series, Cover, Lead Color Pages)
My Hero Academa
One Piece
Witch Watch
Dr. Stone
Protect Me, Shugomaru! (Color Page)
Sakamoto Days
Blue Box
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page)
Ayashimon
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction
Black Clover
Undead Unluck
PPPPPP
High School Family
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle

Weekly Shonen Jump #1 (2022) - Information
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead Color Pages)
Dorondororon (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (Color Page)
Undead Unluck (Color Page)

Last edited:

Ike79

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hi all, I´ve been reading this thread for quite a while now and I think the new thread is a good opportunity for me to jump in and start participating. It´s nice to meet you.

Now for some predictions:
- Other than Chainsawman and Bokuben, no older series will end in 2021.
- A new One Piece film will be announced with the 1000 chapters anniversary, and multiple authors will draw celebratory images.
- HeroAca volume sales won´t noticeably increase with S5 and the film, but they will stay consistent.
- Black Clover anime will end this year, but a new season will be announced with the last episode.
- By this time next year, Mashle will sell 100k, Undead Unluck 80k and Yozakura 50k. Yozakura wont get any covers all year.
- Ayakashi sales will go down after volume 2, but the series will survive next year anyway and get an anniversary cover.
- The next serialization round will happen when Chainsawman ends, but it will happen later than most expect (late February). Agravity, Moriking, and Blood Oath will be axed with it. This will be despite Agravity finally showing growth with its fourth volume and Phantom Seer selling less than it.
- Only one of the Magu, Roboko, Niraikanai trio will survive the year. It won´t be Niraikanai.
- Miura and the Soma duo will begin new serializations in 2021. They will be updated versions of their one-shots from last year.
- Usazaki will start a new series in the summer. It will be written by Otaro Maijo. First volume will sell well.
- Blue Box will be serialized and be successful.
- Nakama Tadaichi will serialize Tokyo Grind Horror House. It will start in the same issue Chainsawman ends.
- We will get a surprise anime revival in Jump Festa. It will be a Morita adaptation.

savethecat

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I guess I’ll revamp my predictions from the previous thread

- Dr. Stone enters a final arc(doesn’t necessarily meanits ending next year though)

- New Dragon Ball Film is announced; either at Jump Fest, and released by the end of 2021; or announced sometime next year for an early 2022 release

- Furudate returns for a new serialization late in the year. If not in WSJ, in Jump+

- Komi also returns for a new serialization. Same deal. Either WSJ or Jump+

- Spy X Family anime gets announced

- Mashle and UxU get anime announced next year.

- Mashle gets a Toei adaptation

- Chainsaw Man anime announced after the final chapter

- Fujimoto quickly starts working on a new series. Maybe won’t start next year, but is at the very least teased

- Akira Amano’s Detective series actually sells well. Is added to English Jump app

- with Viz Originals in full effect, Viz announces some sort of English Jump branch experiment(this is really out there though)

- One Piece announces its final arc(which lasts for 5-6 years)

- Yozakura sees a decent sales boosts, and surprisingly gets an anime announcement by next years Jump Festa

- Phantom Seer gets axed 😔

- Blue Box gets serialized and does relatively well

- MHA has a 6months - 1 year time skip, with characters getting new costumes

- JJK has a super boost after the climax of the Mahito arc, OR at the climax of the tournament arc

- new Burn The With OVA is announced along with season 2 of the manga starting

- MHA receives a more noteworthy video game franchise

- Sakamoto Days mostly sits in the middle of the TOC, and doesn’t show signs of immediate success, but it pulls through.

- Build King doesn’t have the amount of success as expected, but gets at least a year run regardless

- Before the year is out a Full Colored Edition Of Demon Slayer is announced, as soon as the sales start to slow down for the series, and to no one’s surprise those have monster sales as well, and causes Demon’s Slayer’s reign to run over into 2022.

- Posuka and Shirai return for a new serialization, and definitely in WSJ

- Usazaki returns for a very well received One Shot. But it’s not serialized until at least late next year

- Hard Boiled Cop and Dolphin gets axed.

- HSF Surprisingly gets axed

- Me & Robocco has study growth and actually survives and becomes the main gag series

- Jump+ has a few more Moderate hits. Not necessarily SxF level hits, but big enough hits that their sales and popularity match what would be considered a successful WSJ series
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hi all, I´ve been reading this thread for quite a while now and I think the new thread is a good opportunity for me to jump in and start participating. It´s nice to meet you.

Now for some predictions:
- Other than Chainsawman and Bokuben, no older series will end in 2021.
- A new One Piece film will be announced with the 1000 chapters anniversary, and multiple authors will draw celebratory images.
- HeroAca volume sales won´t noticeably increase with S5 and the film, but they will stay consistent.
- Black Clover anime will end this year, but a new season will be announced with the last episode.
- By this time next year, Mashle will sell 100k, Undead Unluck 80k and Yozakura 50k. Yozakura wont get any covers all year.
- Ayakashi sales will go down after volume 2, but the series will survive next year anyway and get an anniversary cover.
- The next serialization round will happen when Chainsawman ends, but it will happen later than most expect (late February). Agravity, Moriking, and Blood Oath will be axed with it. This will be despite Agravity finally showing growth with its fourth volume and Phantom Seer selling less than it.
- Only one of the Magu, Roboko, Niraikanai trio will survive the year. It won´t be Niraikanai.
- Miura and the Soma duo will begin new serializations in 2021. They will be updated versions of their one-shots from last year.
- Usazaki will start a new series in the summer. It will be written by Otaro Maijo. First volume will sell well.
- Blue Box will be serialized and be successful.
- Nakama Tadaichi will serialize Tokyo Grind Horror House. It will start in the same issue Chainsawman ends.
- We will get a surprise anime revival in Jump Festa. It will be a Morita adaptation.
Any reason why you think Usazaki will team up with Ōtarō Maijō? Like him speaking on her work, or being a fan or anything?

Not saying there has to be a legit reasoning behind the prediction, or clues to anybody’s predictions. Just seemed such a specific and left field name that I was curious if there was a reason you came to it.

Ike79

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Any reason why you think Usazaki will team up with Ōtarō Maijō? Like him speaking on her work, or being a fan or anything?

Not saying there has to be a legit reasoning behind the prediction, or clues to anybody’s predictions. Just seemed such a specific and left field name that I was curious if there was a reason you came to it.
Oh, not any tangible reason, no. It´s a shot in the dark.

I was thinking that working with Usazaki would be a desirable opportunity for any writer (new or established) since her new series is going to receive a lot of positive attention due to the Act Age situation. So a lot of veteran writers that are working with Shueisha might want to push for a collaboration. Maijo just finished a series in Jump+ so he´s free at the moment (or a least more available than he was a couple of months ago, he´s still doing that ID:INVADED sequel, I believe), and I kind of like his stuff and would like to see him in Jump, hence my choice.

SiMidori

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
Hi for this new topic,
Jump series :
I'd like to see Phantom seer keep going
Blue Box serialisation and I wish for a success
Burn the witch comes back with season 2 (but I can wait)

Oricon :
KNY makes at least 30M
JJK more than 10M easily, (I feel like 15M-20M)
OP doing more than 2020 with the volume 100 hype and anime
Spy family keep increasing, anime to drop in 2022

KidaShikage

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Predictions and hopes:

Anime related:
  • Jujutsu Kaisen gets second season announced when the first ends.
  • Chainsaw-man starts airing in fall 2021, but doesn't get a boost.
  • Kimetsu no Yaiba, Yakusoku no Neverland, Boku no Hero Academia and Haikyuu get new seasons.
  • Black Clover ends with 200 chapters.
  • Dr. Stone ends with second season and doesn't get another announcement.
  • Mashle gets an OVA in Jump Festa.
  • Spy x Family and Summer Time Render get anime.

New series:
  • For granted, Burn the Witch comes back and its sales increase.
  • Ao no Hako gets serialization and becomes a hit.
  • Naoshi Komi and Numa Shun return.
  • Takamasa Moue also returns with something Galaxy Gangs-like.
  • There's at least one spokon per batch.
  • Compared to this year, not that many new series, about 10. Also no new U19.

Current roster sales and axes.
  • Kimetsu no Yaiba's boost will be there until May and then slowly stops. Rises again when second season starts.
  • Jujutsu Kaisen's boost is there all year and sells 20 million+ in yearly Oricon.
  • One Piece continues the same. Wano ends.
  • Boku no Hero Academia has a time-skip after this arc and the hype gives it a little boost.
  • Black Clover's sales decline after anime ends.
  • Chainsaw-man and We Never Learn end.
  • Yozakura Family gets many CPs and a cover for its second anniversary and manages to enter weekly oricon once.
  • Agravity Boys manages to survive most of the year without growing sales-wise.
  • Mashle and Undead Unluck continue growing. Mashle reaches 100k first week and Undead Unluck 100k first month.
  • Ayakashi Triangle grows fast, but stops growing after it surpasses 100k first week.
  • Magu-chan and Roboco stay for another year, but don't grow as much.
  • Niraikanai stays the same and ends up axed with about the same chapters as PekoMari.
  • Bokura no Ketsumei is the last U19 in a while. Ends with Moriking and 3 new series start.
  • Honomieru Shounen manages to surive all year. Its first volume doesn't get great numbers, but starts growing after that.
  • Koukousei Kazoku survives half of the year in the bottom, saving Agravity Boys again.
  • Both Build King and Sakamoto Days survive. Sakamoto Days has really good sales.

Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain

8 covers already. I wonder how many covers will JJK get in 2021. It ended being the Jump title with most covers in 2020 after One Piece (yet 3 of the 4 covers it got in 2020 came in last 10 issues).

ItsSamu

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Speaking of covers, what were everyone's favourite 2020 WSJ covers?

My top 5 would be:

1. #42 (Chainsaw Man) - It's a classic Orange/Blue combo done right. Aesthetically pleasing with a nice sense of depth, feel like I could show this to anyone and they'd know the exact vibe of the series.
  2. #17 (The Promised Neverland) - Emma/Isabella in the centre is just awesome. Love the strong orange hues.
  3. #52 (Jujutsu Kaisen) - The last one is a great one, big fan of the dark contrasting colours and composition.
  4. #47 (Jujutsu Kaisen) - Another good JJK, the halloween theme is fun.
  5. #16 (Haikyuu!!) - Mainly because seeing the Karasuno 1st years as 20 year olds all together is always my favourite thing.

Last edited:

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
1. #47 (Jujutsu Kaisen)
2. #42 (Chainsaw Man)
3. #12 (Act-Age)
4. #33-34 (One Piece)

5. #4-5 (Group)

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What's the quickest one shot to serialization period for Jump people are aware of? I know stuff like Build King which took 2 or 3 years isn't really the standard but I feel Ao no Halo (which ran in August) being serialized this year (potentially even the first half or even January like some predictions are saying) is far too early although I'm genuinely curious if there if I'm just making an off assumption here.

For all we know Miura only had this specific story with how it played out in mind and has to now come up with the full series (or at least how he'd alter it to be more than the one shot) which would take time.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
My top-5 would be:

1. 52 (Jujutsu Kaisen) Yep, last cover is my 2020 favorite one. The Akutami art in this one was superb.
2. 42 (Chainswman)
3. 43 (Jujutsu Kaisen)
4. 17 (The Promised Neverland)
5. 1 (Zipman). Yep, the series was trash, it got U19'd, but that cover was amazing.
---
6. 32 (Haikyuu)
7. 39 (Honomieru Shonen)
8. 47 (Jujutsu Kaisen)
9. 14 (Dr.Stone)
10. I'm between 3 (My Hero Academia) and 18 (Kimetsu no Yaiba)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

What's the quickest one shot to serialization period for Jump people are aware of? I know stuff like Build King which took 2 or 3 years isn't really the standard but I feel Ao no Halo (which ran in August) being serialized this year (potentially even the first half or even January like some predictions are saying) is far too early although I'm genuinely curious if there if I'm just making an off assumption here.

For all we know Miura only had this specific story with how it played out in mind and has to now come up with the full series (or at least how he'd alter it to be more than the one shot) which would take time.
If I recall, both Undead Unluck, Bone Collection (DEP) and Our Blood Oath god quickly serialized, in a span of 7-8 months.

We know Ao no Hako has done a lot of impact, but I'm expecting My Little Mars first.

AbrahamOmosun

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
1 All Jujutsu Kaisen covers
2 Issue 4-5 (The snow based group cover)
3 Issue 38 (Burn the Witch)
4 Issue 16 (Haikyuu)
5 Issue 17 (TPN) / Issue 12 (Act Age)

Last edited:

101nemesis

Reaction score
Country
India
Looking back, it's been a relatively weak year for WSJ covers.

1. #52 - Jujutsu Kaisen
2. #47 - Jujutsu Kaisen
3. #42 - CSM
4. #43 - Jujutsu Kaisen
5. #4-5 - Group Cover

Jujutsu Kaisen covers towards the end were easily among the best ones for the year.

lazybones1717

Reaction score
Country
United States
What's the quickest one shot to serialization period for Jump people are aware of?
I believe that Cross Manage (which is sort of Ao no Hako-like) debuted about 4 months after its one-shot. At least according to the dates on AniList, which tend to be less reliable for older series.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
WSJ covers

1. All Kimetsu no yaiba covers
2. #39 - Honomieru Shonen
3. #52, #47 and #43 - Jujutsu Kaisen
4. #12 - Act Age
5. #02 - Agravity boys

BX-02BLODIA

Reaction score
Country
United States

Mind Assassin had it's one shot in WSJ in issue 32 of 1994, then the serialization started in issue 52 of 1994.

Smilzyy

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
My predictions:

- Demon Slayer Season 2 announcement
- Haikyuu!! S5 announcement and will air in fall 2021, winter 2022
- Jujutsu Kaisen S2 airs fall 2021
- My Hero Academia S6 announcement
- Chainsaw Man will get an adaption with at least 30 episodes
- UU and Mashle will get an anime announcement for 2022
- BC Spade Kingdom Arcs gets a good animation and pushes the manga a little, anime will end after the arc

- 2021 is the year of romcoms and spokons
- Ao No Hako gets serialized but is only a mid-tier manga
- OBO is the first U19 this year
- Moriking, High School Family, Magu, Cop and Dolphin and AB get axed
- Phantom Seer too :emocat
- Mashle and UU sales will grow, at least 100k per month
- Yozakura sales grow less than Mashle and UU
- Ayakashi sales grow more than Yozakura but less than Mashles and UU
- Sakamoto Days will be a success

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Predictions from last thread.

-No vets return next year for new series
-Hunter x Hunter returns for a volumes worth of chapters
-Yozakura gets 2 covers, one for 2nd anniversary, one general cover
-Undead and Mashle also both get 2 covers again
-Ayakashi gets 2 covers
-Chainsaw Man anime is announced and airs next year, Mashle get's announced for a 2022 anime adaptation
-Another classic Jump manga gets a new adaptation
-Ao no Hako gets serialized
-Against all odds Agravity continues to survive, but still ends in 2021
-There's a hit manga by the author of a previous failure

Rukasu

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
From last thread:

-CSM ends serialization, gets an anime adapting the whole story and start to become a global success even with non-anime watchers, in a way similar to Death Note and AoT
-Yozakura becomes 90% serious action arcs and 10% slice of life filler chapters, boosting its sales and ToC positions.
-Ao no Hako gets serialized and becomes as instant hit, with its first volume selling over 50k
-Undead Unluck's sales with continue to increase exponentially and it will surpass Mashle's,both of them selling over 100k
-Dr. Stone announces its final arc
-BC sales declines even more, not helped by the fact that its anime stops airing
-MHA continues to perform like it always does, 5th season will be more successful than the 4th one but won't cause any massive boost
-Jump desperately tries to find a spokon hit, two of them manage to survive
-Magu-chan, Roboco and Phantom Seer become mid-tier successes, Cop & Dolphin and ObO are canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.