Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion! | Page 471 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2024) - News and Discussion!

Your Favorite Chapters of Issue #34 - 2024 (5 Choices At Most)

• One Piece 1121

• My Hero Academia 428

• Mission: Yozakura Family 235

• Undead Unluck 215

• Me & Roboco 194

• Sakamoto Days 175

• The Elusive Samurai 165

• Witch Watch 164

• Blue Box 158

• Akane Banashi 119

• Kill Blue 62

• Nue's Exorcist 59

• Kagurabachi 42

• Super Psychic Policeman Chojo 23

• Astro Royale 14

• Kyokuto Necromance 13

• Psych House 11

• Yokai Buster Murakami 6

• Ultimate Exorcist Kiyoshi 5

• Hima-Ten! 3

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

iker_03

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #35 (2024)
My Hero Academia (Cover & Lead Color Pages; 10th Anniversary: Ending Next week)
Akane-banashi
SAKAMOTO DAYS
Kagurabachi
Blue Box
My Hero Academia: CONNECT TO THE DAY (Color Page)
Hima-Ten!
Jujutsu Kaisen
Nue's Exorcist
Me & Roboco
Astro Royale (Color Page)
Ultimate Exorcist Kiyoshi
WITCH WATCH
Mission: Yozakura Family
Kill Blue
Super Psychic Policeman Chojo
The Elusive Samurai
Undead Unluck
Kyokuto Necromance
Psych House
Yokai Buster Murakami
Absent: ONE PIECE

Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #36-37 (Preview)
Cover: Group WSJ
LCP: SAKAMOTO DAYS
Cp: My Hero Academia (End of Serialization); Kagurabachi; Kochikame

Last edited by a moderator:

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
GGG's biggest mistake is making Oga a woman.

Terasaka should have learnt from Kuroko or Prince of Tennis. AND also, it is not a wsj series but there is a reason why Windbreaker is one of the rising popular anime this year (and how many woman character it has?).

Broseph

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The lack of interest for GGG wasn't only a Japan issue. Even internationally it struggled to gain attention. The last chapter only had 18k readers on Mangaplus even less than Dear Anemone and only above 5 series: WW, Chojo, and Roboco (comedy series) and Elusive (hard to get into for non-Japanese readers) and Nue (disliked by the West).

The people who read GGG seemed to really love it but it struggled to build up a big reader base anywhere.
GGG ending is gonna hurt honestly. I'm used to manga I like ending but this one will stink. Hell I think the leads in this manga have more chemistry than the Blue Box duo and this isn't even a romance lol. Just a good story that's gonna stick with me for a while

Dongus

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I think the controversy will actually help psych house but it still looks dead.
If the controversy didn't exist then the engagement for it would disappear and nobody would actually be talking about it.
Could be good, could be bad. Controversy's a double-edged sword. They say bad publicity is better than no publicity, especially for a piece of media, same goes for here. For Time Paradox Ghostwriter, the controversy completely overshadowed the material, and led to it being sunk. As for controversy leading to something good, I think the Kagurabachi memes from the earliest points were done in bad faith, expecting it to be a subject of mockery, but it won its fans over and transitioned into a genuine following. That's not really a controversy, though... I can't think of any specific cases where some early bad press somehow turned into a success.

I praised it till the end, Goatyuyu will be missed 🙏
Defensor, you don't appear to be sharpest tool in the shed, but your loyalty to your convictions, and your ability to hold onto those convictions without conflict is commendable. In your darkest days, where you feel the world is against you, please know that I appreciate you.

GGG's biggest mistake is making Oga a woman.

Terasaka should have learnt from Kuroko or Prince of Tennis. AND also, it is not a wsj series but there is a reason why Windbreaker is one of the rising popular anime this year (and how many woman character it has?).
I think "pandering to x crowds" by having the lead a certain gender or another is becoming obsolete as an argument, especially when Shadow Eliminators hard pandered to fujoshi with negligible effect. Even if Oga was a dude and everything was written the same, I think the end results wouldn't change much.

For me, I go back to that interview I saw where an editor said, "The main character has to be someone the reader would want to be friends with." As much as I like Yaesaki as a character, I can honestly say that I wouldn't like him as a person. He has way too many vices, is driven by envy and can be downright pathetic sometimes. I like these flaws and watching him grow. But the general reader wouldn't enjoy things the same way I do. While no one would say they hate him, it's pretty damn hard to latch onto him or anyone in that sort of, parasocial kind of way.

defensor_de_boruto

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Defensor, you don't appear to be sharpest tool in the shed, but your loyalty to your convictions, and your ability to hold onto those convictions without conflict is commendable. In your darkest days, where you feel the world is against you, please know that I appreciate you.
:crying :crying:worship:worship

monstera11

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Could be good, could be bad. Controversy's a double-edged sword. They say bad publicity is better than no publicity, especially for a piece of media, same goes for here. For Time Paradox Ghostwriter, the controversy completely overshadowed the material, and led to it being sunk. As for controversy leading to something good, I think the Kagurabachi memes from the earliest points were done in bad faith, expecting it to be a subject of mockery, but it won its fans over and transitioned into a genuine following. That's not really a controversy, though... I can't think of any specific cases where some early bad press somehow turned into a success.

I think "pandering to x crowds" by having the lead a certain gender or another is becoming obsolete as an argument, especially when Shadow Eliminators hard pandered to fujoshi with negligible effect. Even if Oga was a dude and everything was written the same, I think the end results wouldn't change much.

For me, I go back to that interview I saw where an editor said, "The main character has to be someone the reader would want to be friends with." As much as I like Yaesaki as a character, I can honestly say that I wouldn't like him as a person. He has way too many vices, is driven by envy and can be downright pathetic sometimes. I like these flaws and watching him grow. But the general reader wouldn't enjoy things the same way I do. While no one would say they hate him, it's pretty damn hard to latch onto him or anyone in that sort of, parasocial kind of way.
I honestly will not want to be friend with Light Yagami tbh.

And your SE argument is not really valid, because SE actually sells better than GGG despite being an axed manga. Basically the axed exorcist manga that everyone here vilified, still selling better than this supposed gem. Pandering the certain crowds do work. Nue pander to the otaku light novel crowd and it had a strong start.

I honestly feel that SE would have worked better if it got serialized in other magazine and got the chance to cook longer. It is charming in its own ways.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

And your SE argument is not really valid, because SE actually sells better than GGG despite being an axed manga. Basically the axed exorcist manga that everyone here vilified, still selling better than this supposed gem. Pandering the certain crowds do work. Nue pander to the otaku light novel crowd and it had a strong start.

I honestly feel that SE would have worked better if it got serialized in other magazine and got the chance to cook longer. It is charming in its own ways.
I don't know why people knock exorcist manga. Always a safe bet. Some of us always love our Exorcist fix. Shadow Eliminators was a good one. I'm glad to it has hardcore fans buying it even after it was cancelled. Jump made a mistake in cancelling it.

pennycryman

Reaction score
Country
United States

SE only sold 600 more copies than GGG. I don't know why people are suddenly all like "were we too harsh on SE?" Even if it wasn't axed, the max it would pull is 7K, which is still a flop. There's no discernible evidence that fujos massively helped it. It's only selling because these types of decently drawn action manga always pull around 5K, Our Blood Oath, Candy Flurry, Higuma, Fabricant, and Doron all did about the same. GGG is only selling so low because sports flops tend to bomb harder than action flops, just ask Nine Dragons and Beast Children. Heck, compared to how hard sports stuff were bombing post-Haikyuu, GGG and MMA's performance has been preferable to mostly every other sports thing from Jump.

Last edited:

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
whate hell is wrong with yall japanese ppl???! SHE SAID SHE ONLY ATE CANDY FOR THE LAST 2 DAYS. omggg I swear, sometimes idk how yall brains function...

westabyss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
whate hell is wrong with yall japanese ppl???! SHE SAID SHE ONLY ATE CANDY FOR THE LAST 2 DAYS. omggg I swear, sometimes idk how yall brains function...
Why are you being racist for this minor issue? This pickpocketing thing isn't as big of an issue as some are making out to be here. I looked on a couple Japanese forums and while it is a discussion point on there, it is not even close to 1% of what happened with Time Paradox. It's more just people pointing the pickpocketing thing out. This Manga doesn't really get much hate for it or anything. More people have issues with it being too boring or generic than with the stealing.

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Why are you being racist for this minor issue? This pickpocketing thing isn't as big of an issue as some are making out to be here. I looked on a couple Japanese forums and while it is a discussion point on there, it is not even close to 1% of what happened with Time Paradox. It's more just people pointing the pickpocketing thing out. This Manga doesn't really get much hate for it or anything. More people have issues with it being too boring or generic than with the stealing.
Welp then I hope for shonen Salto for being wrong, I'm not being racist. I'm realistically pointing out that no-one should be mad about an minor having zero aid for food which her only solution Is stealing food, even she herself doesn't want to pickpocket. I don't care about culture for these instances, struggle is struggle

westabyss

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Welp then I hope for shonen Salto for being wrong, I'm not being racist. I'm realistically pointing out that no-one should be mad about an minor having zero aid for food which her only solution Is stealing food, even she herself doesn't want to pickpocket. I don't care about culture for these instances, struggle is struggle
Your post reads like you are blaming a whole country when this whole thing is something only a small percentage of Jump readers even cares about.

defensor_de_boruto

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
how's kill blue doing? In sales? Are people buying it and enjoying it? So far I'm really enjoying... can't believe it took me this much to start reading it

KrenKren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how's kill blue doing? In sales? Are people buying it and enjoying it? So far I'm really enjoying... can't believe it took me this much to start reading it
It's plateaued at around the 25k mark. Not good by any means considering initial expectations, but they wont axe it so long as ToC remains decent.
The fact it's getting an anniversary cover says more than I ever could, anyway. I wouldn't worry about it leaving anytime soon.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's great.

I hope it's eventual anime will let the series explode.

Kind of shocking that it has Half the number of followers on Twitter as Nue's Exorcist does.

Kurama58

Reaction score
Country
France
Will just say that Nue deserve the treatement Kill blue is getting, the series kept declining to 25k and is less popular, at least Nue growth at a slow rate and is about 30k

Mankichi Togawa

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
This pickpocketing thing isn't as big of an issue as some are making out to be here. I looked on a couple Japanese forums and while it is a discussion point on there, it is not even close to 1% of what happened with Time Paradox. It's more just people pointing the pickpocketing thing out. This Manga doesn't really get much hate for it or anything. More people have issues with it being too boring or generic than with the stealing.
I also don't think it's as big of an issue but there has been actual issues with that thing. In J+, while the most voted comments were the people saying the guys critizing were exaggerating, the main amount of comments was critics toward that girl pickpocketing and not having consequences. It makes me think what would have happened with One Piece if it started serialization in 2024 (aka Nami stealing and not having consequences until Arlong Park. Well, Buggy put her in a bad position, but still).

25k which for me it's pretty bad, specially coming from a veteran as Fujimaki. Sure, he comes from an axe (RobotxLaserman) but if I remember well that axe actually sold better, which says a lot about current Jump situation. And also this makes Kill Blue the second worst seller of the +20 chapters titles of the magazine, being only over Roboco there.

Which is going to make tomorrow a funny day in case Nue doesn't get the anniversary cover. Nue is selling better than Kill Blue (slightly better but still), but Kill Blue is having decent ToC positions while Nue has fallen to the bottom lately.

animeexpert

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Your post reads like you are blaming a whole country when this whole thing is something only a small percentage of Jump readers even cares about.
This controversy goes beyond jump, you know any small "abnormality" in majority of japan things turn into a sudden malfunction

Qukiqq

Reaction score
Country
England
I am really not excited if ( probably when ) psych house gets axed because a lot of people are just gonna blame the controversy.

But the reason it will most likely get axed is because the manga has really low engagement online and presumably in real life too.

There are only 4 twitter posts with 50+ likes by people and jump plus views are really low (lower than shugomaru at the time).

People really want to find absurd ways to blame "the japanese " for getting their favourite manga axed when it simply wasn't popular/engaging to the audience.

Last edited:

KrenKren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We can only blame Psych House for being ahead of its time

Mankichi Togawa

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain