Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

That was not my intention at all. It simply seems that his dislike of Bleach is the sole reason for his comment. He could have said Naruto or One Piece but he only puts down Bleach. And I like Gintama very much. And it's obviously okay to prefer one series to another but just because you want to support Gintama does not mean Bleach has to be worthless.
Maybe he didn't say One Piece or Naruto because OP tends to be consistent and even though Naruto has its faults it still has its redeeming moments?

Lets be real, Bleach obviously pales in comparison to the former two. They have higher peaks and never got as bad as Bleach.

Two ecchi manga and one kinda-ecchi series is too much (technically one is too much).
That depends on who you are asking.

We have like what? 3+ gag manga and 7+ action/battle manga? Are those too much as well? It essentially comes down to what the Japanese weekly readers support sales and rankings wise.

Honestly, it seems the main ones that are suffering atm are people that want Sports in their Jump.

It seems like a damn good time to be a fan of the other 3 genres I mentioned. Having only one genre dominate would hurt WSJ more than help it imo.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Maybe he didn't say One Piece or Naruto because OP tends to be consistent and even though Naruto has its faults it still has its redeeming moments?

Lets be real, Bleach obviously pales in comparison to the former two. They have higher peaks and never got as bad as Bleach.


We have like what? 3+ gag manga and 7+ action/battle manga? Are those too much as well? It essentially comes down to what the Japanese weekly readers support sales and rankings wise.

Honestly, it seems the main ones that are suffering atm are people that want Sports in their Jump.

It seems like a damn good time to be a fan of the other 3 genres I mentioned. Having only one genre dominate would hurt WSJ more than help it imo.

Variety is all good, but 3 gag and 3 ecchi? One, maybe two of each is sufficient (for fans of those genres). Action is obviously where Jump shines, and I don't see a reason to fight that. I agree about the sports, but usually they have to be epic just to establish a fanbase. That's very difficult.

And whatever flaws you claim Bleach has, can you really say that it is 100% crap? Come on, man.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Variety is all good, but 3 gag and 3 ecchi? One, maybe two of each is sufficient (for fans of those genres). Action is obviously where Jump shines, and I don't see a reason to fight that. I agree about the sports, but usually they have to be epic just to establish a fanbase. That's very difficult.

And whatever flaws you claim Bleach has, can you really say that it is 100% crap? Come on, man.
HxH
D.Gray-man
Naruto
Toriko
Reborn
Bleach
Akaboshi
One Piece
Mago
Psyren


Considering there is 10 battle manga in comparison to only 3 of the other two I'm not seeing anything wrong if Gag and Ecchi can get away with 3. Granted two of those ten are on hiatus.

If an ecchi or Gag sells more than an action/battle manga for instance it should be clear which Jump would keep going. Compare Sales between To Love Ru and Psyren for instance. Not that I have anything against Psyren, in fact I enjoy it a lot. But it is highly unlikely Jump would kill To Love Ru before Psyren unless it seriously boosts itself.

Glad we do agree on the sports bit.

As for Bleach, I am not going too far in depth there. I agree 100% of it isn't crap but the low percentage of it that is redeemable isn't warranting its continued life span imo.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

HxH
D.Gray-man
Naruto
Toriko
Reborn
Bleach
Akaboshi
One Piece
Mago
Psyren


Considering there is 10 battle manga in comparison to only 3 of the other two I'm not seeing anything wrong if Gag and Ecchi can get away with 3. Granted two of those ten are on hiatus.

If an ecchi or Gag sells more than an action/battle manga for instance it should be clear which Jump would keep going. Compare Sales between To Love Ru and Psyren for instance. Not that I have anything against Psyren, in fact I enjoy it a lot. But it is highly unlikely Jump would kill To Love Ru before Psyren unless it seriously boosts itself.

Glad we do agree on the sports bit.

As for Bleach, I am not going too far in depth there. I agree 100% of it isn't crap but the low percentage of it that is redeemable isn't warranting its continued life span imo.

I would not expect TLR to be cancelled for Psyren. But it will never sell more than the others and I don't really care too much about TLR anyway. I just wish Yabuki would do something else. But in the end I suppose what ever the readers/editors decide we have to live with. And ecchi/gag with action can be great. For example, Air Gear and Bobobo.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

While I don't want to read to much into, for fear of jinxing Psyren, a message with chapter 76 said volume 6 needed a second printing. That can only mean good things. Plus Iwashiro did illustrations for Beelzebub volume 1, which I can't wait to see!
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

we're oversaturated on battle, need more gag, sci-fi, ecchi and sports.

also just to fuck shit up here I feel the need to say that I can say bleach is 75-90% crap nowadays with the occasional redeeming moment or suddenly realising it's following up on older plot points
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ten battle manga? Perhaps, but personally, I'd differentiate between those that are mostly about action for what seems like the sake of action (e.g. Bleach and currently Reborn - I find sports series can feel this way, too) and plot with action (e.g. DGM and possibly Naruto, Mago back when I read it... I haven't read most of the other series). Sure, they all have plot and battle-action, but they come across very differently in execution, I find. There's often overlap between those "genres" to the point where series might be more varied within a genre compared to those outside it. Reborn's probably a great example seeing as it actually switched from comedy to action halfway through (at least, I wouldn't consider it to be an action series before the Rings were introduced).

How many series are there that seem to be mostly focused on action and battles with powerful new enemies? Probably not many more than series of other genres. I find that the plot-based series feel so different that I'd almost count them as something separate altogether. Perhaps that's one reason sports series don't always succeed... in my experience, some have a similar feeling to those action series (Prince of Tennis in particular, but I found Slam Dunk to feel that way too), and so... I dunno, that might be how they're judged rather than the fact that they're about "sports". Might also explain why Jump's sports series tend to be about the action; aren't some other ones in different magazines more about life/school/etc.?

Er, but those are just my thoughts on how I don't think people are just thinking along such neat lines.

(Oh, not that action for the sake of action is bad. In fact, thinking that way redeems some series for me and makes them easier to enjoy. But c'mon, does anyone really think Bleach's emphasis on the plot, or said plot's complexity, is the same as certain other series which I as a fangirl won't mention?)
 

ZoddGuts

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
67
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Makes no sense keeping Psyren over TLR when one has a much bigger audience then the other. Psyren sells below 50k per volume while TLR sells around 150k per vol, plus it has more anime episodes (OVA) on the way till mid of next year. Why keep Psyren when it's underpreforming in rankings nor does it have good tank sells to support it, that and the fact there's enough action series in jump right now. Wouldn't be surprise at all if it gets cut to make way for the upcoming new series.

Anyways good to see Sket Dance doing much better now. It's getting that CD Drama and if were lucky an anime sometime next year.

Oh and yeah Bleach is crap. All style and no substance. Use to love this series early on but then it went DBZ route, no more character development and not much advancing on the story. bleh
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I love that cover. It is nice to see Kawashita's art in color again.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

honestly i'm not expecting anything as good as Hatsukoi, or as GODAWFUL as Strawberry 100%.

i'm just expecting averageness this time round.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

honestly i'm not expecting anything as good as Hatsukoi, or as GODAWFUL as Strawberry 100%.
Really? I've seen my share of Ichigo haters, but none of them even remotely likes Hatsukoi. You're the first.

As for myself, I like both equally (as in: both are just a little above average), but this new series doesn't look good IMO. It did when all I knew about it was the name, it still did when the preview pic came, but I lost most of the interest as soon as I read the synopsis. Feels like it's been done millions of times before, unlike Hatsukoi.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

What's that say in the corner...
Toriko anime something something decided...
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Really? I've seen my share of Ichigo haters, but none of them even remotely likes Hatsukoi. You're the first.

As for myself, I like both equally (as in: both are just a little above average), but this new series doesn't look good IMO. It did when all I knew about it was the name, it still did when the preview pic came, but I lost most of the interest as soon as I read the synopsis. Feels like it's been done millions of times before, unlike Hatsukoi.
To be honest with you... I'd personally rate Ichigo in the bottom of the 3 series so far (or 4, if you add in Kawashita's series under another pen-name). Don't get me wrong, I like the girls in Ichigo, but I dislike Manaka so much that... Argh...

Hatsukoi had the perfect idea (in my opinion), but just wasn't done properly.

Lilim Kiss and Akane series are both much more to my taste than Ichigo. :p
 

LegACy

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2008
Messages
568
Reaction score
690
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

To be honest with you... I'd personally rate Ichigo in the bottom of the 3 series so far (or 4, if you add in Kawashita's series under another pen-name). Don't get me wrong, I like the girls in Ichigo, but I dislike Manaka so much that... Argh...

Hatsukoi had the perfect idea (in my opinion), but just wasn't done properly.

Lilim Kiss and Akane series are both much more to my taste than Ichigo. :p
Um, what is actually the idea of Hatsukoi? I find it too much generic, just like a bunch of boy and girls who fall in love with each other. I like Ichigo 100% though (and I hate I's, I just can't stand the guy)
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

What's that say in the corner...
Toriko anime something something decided...
Seriously?! Can you definitely confirm thats what it says so I can go spread the good news
 

Siberia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
703
Reaction score
827
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Seriously?! Can you definitely confirm thats what it says so I can go spread the good news
Would it be too early to have it animated??? It sounds good if it comes true in late 09.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

People are saying the same thing on 2ch, no one's sure what it says. It says "super animetsuaa" something 2009, then "decided". It's too early to have an anime so it'll be something else, probably. So don't get your hopes up, animes usually occur around the 120th week of a manga.
Plus it'd be a big announcement, wouldn't be some thing in the corner.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

D. Gray Man started an early anime, didn't it?
 

Siberia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
703
Reaction score
827
Gender
Hidden
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

D. Gray Man started an early anime, didn't it?
I guess so. But an early anime would definitely contain more fillers than others. It would be nice to discuss further once the news is confirmed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top