Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think Nishio Ishin knows what he needs to do from now on. ;)
I can imagine the series changing tone in lieu of this small success, however it's meaningless if it ranks just outside of the bottom five, so we'll need the full ranking just to be sure.

The second Bleach novel was... rofl... about Ichigo and Co's stay in SS, interactions with the depressed 13-Gotei members, etc.
I must read it...

Sket is getting light novels too, no?
I could've sworn that it was only getting a a Drama CD.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Looks like lots of people complaining about Kuroko is getting another colour. I also don't like Kuroko getting colour, but I also hate Beelzebub getting colour. Beelzebub has getting colour too much, there are total 8 colours out of 28 chapters, and 9th colour page will be coming this week, that goes same with Kuroko, too (9 colours out of 37 chapters, and 10th is coming).

I understand that they are popular, but they are getting too much, like they are getting colour about every 4 or 5 weeks. I think the editors should give colour to another series, Kuroko and Beelzebub already have enough push from the editors.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I could've sworn that it was only getting a a Drama CD.
When the color pages for issue 42 were announced it said Sket Dance was getting a novelization announcement this week. Honestly, I have no idea if that is correct, having heard nothing else about it since.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Well Akaboshi is back down and Kagijin is still at the bottom...no surprises there. Kuroko has returned though but gets a color...don't know how I feel about that seeing as how I don't know what has happened in the last 10 chapters.

And Medaka is out of the bottom 5 so thats good for it.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Good to see Medaka and Ane Doki out of the bottom five. I suspect they could be back down next week, I never trust it when established series like Kuroko, Sket and Psyren are down. At least one will, or could, rise again next week tossing Ane or Medaka back into the bottom five. Maybe both.
Agreed which is why I'm not believing either are absolutely safe just yet. Even if Psyren starts its bottom dwelling like earlier on in its life, that still leaves enough space for them to collapse back in.

Kuroko's sales keep improving. The upcoming color is acknowledging that the only sports series is finding an audience, at least in book stores. Not a hit yet, but it could well be on it's way. Take it like this: Kuroko volume 3 sold as well as Psyren volume 6. From a business perspective it needs to be promoted as the only representative of it's genre in the magazine.
I always feel like Kuroko being the only sports series is the only reason why it has lasted this long. The only one that didn't absolutely tank like Meister and Hoop anyway.

If only Kuroko would go above abysmal quality so they don't need to keep resuscitating it. That or get someone who can write a better sports series serialized...

[Cross];1566813 said:
I can imagine the series changing tone in lieu of this small success, however it's meaningless if it ranks just outside of the bottom five, so we'll need the full ranking just to be sure.
True enough. It would have to be at least middle of the mag for it to really mean something. Plus the recent chapters have gone in a different direction so we need to see how those rank too.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

oh, wow. Medaka moves out of bottom 5?
whats up with the MB and Akaboshi yo-yoing around right when we it seemed to have reached dead bottom?
Kagijin is in three consecutive weeks at the bottom..... no chance of this one surviving.

MB 8 weeks ago was the beginning of the swimming competition.. i guess it was received fairly well, though the conclusion might make the rank go back down again :D
Kuroko has no chance of getting axed at the moment, so i really don't care if its in the bottom 5.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

MB 8 weeks ago was the beginning of the swimming competition.. i guess it was received fairly well, though the conclusion might make the rank go back down again :D
Kuroko has no chance of getting axed at the moment, so i really don't care if its in the bottom 5.
Actually, the chapter that was ranked this week was the conclusion. I might as well get back into kuroko, it seems like jump seems to think that there's some redeeming quality in there since they are giving it a colour page, so I want to be a bit mroe informed before complaining that it got a colour page even though it's in the bottom (though that alone should be enough).
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

[Cross];1566861 said:
Actually, the chapter that was ranked this week was the conclusion. .
right.... i miscounted.... hmm seems like lot of people like yuri?

by the way, will it be safe to conclude that Psyren won't be canceled thanks to Kagijin and Akaboshi doing worse?

kuroko isn't that bad in my opinion.... although it is not that great either. this week's chapter was pretty funny because it was not about Basket ball :D
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

right.... i miscounted.... hmm seems like lot of people like yuri?

by the way, will it be safe to conclude that Psyren won't be canceled thanks to Kagijin and Akaboshi doing worse?
Yeah Psyren will have to bottom out for awhile to be in danger of getting canceled at the moment.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

right.... i miscounted.... hmm seems like lot of people like yuri?

by the way, will it be safe to conclude that Psyren won't be canceled thanks to Kagijin and Akaboshi doing worse?
Don't count Akaboshi out yet; two weeks from now the battle chapters wil start ranking and I can see them bringing the series back to the middle like chapter 9 did. Kagijin's dead for sure and so is Waji Mania, so that leaves one space left; it may be one of the two newcomers, Medaka or even Akaboshi (in the nearly impossible event it doesn't go back up). I'd say Psyren's really low on the priority list regarding the next cuts.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Don't count Akaboshi out yet; two weeks from now the battle chapters wil start ranking and I can see them bringing the series back to the middle like chapter 9 did. Kagijin's dead for sure and so is Waji Mania, so that leaves one space left; it may be one of the two newcomers, Medaka or even Akaboshi (in the nearly impossible event it doesn't go back up). I'd say Psyren's really low on the priority list regarding the next cuts.
I don't see why you think Wajima is dead for sure. I haven't read it and it doesn't look like something I would like anyway, but form what I have seen recently, its doing pretty well. I could see it sticking around for around a year maybe like a lot of gag manga. I just wouldn't count it for dead yet.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I always feel like Kuroko being the only sports series is the only reason why it has lasted this long. The only one that didn't absolutely tank like Meister and Hoop anyway.
Kuroko is actually doing very well for a new series. It keeps improving in sales; volume 1 never made the top thirty, volume 2 debuted at 26, volume 3 at 11. There's still work to be done before it's a hit, Kuroko is headed in the right direction. Sales of sports series tend to be modest nowadays, REAL excepted, don't expect it to sell as much as fast as Toriko, Mago, and Bakuman. I personally believe by volume 10 it will be as popular as Eyeshield.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I don't see why you think Wajima is dead for sure. I haven't read it and it doesn't look like something I would like anyway, but form what I have seen recently, its doing pretty well. I could see it sticking around for around a year maybe like a lot of gag manga. I just wouldn't count it for dead yet.
It's obviously going the Poseidon route, that's why. I don't think a gag series' ToC placements are worth anything when you know for sure the japanese readers hated it from the start. And from the comments I've seen in lots of places, it seems they did.
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Bleach colours should be good, since it's always hard fanservice.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

WOOO, Medaka is out of the bottom 5 :woo, just look at Akaboshi and Kagijin :lmao, I can't even remember when BLEACH had lead color pages, and Toriko color is great news too.

I'm trying to convince my Edited Manga group to pick up Lilienthal, but I make no promises of it actually getting scaned. ;)
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

in their entire current run, how many times did mago and toriko got color? About Kuroko, I don't think it will be as popular as Eyeshield. Eyeshield aggregate sales is 20 million and volume 17 sold 500k. I don' think Kuroko will be able to go that high
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Why not? Eyeshield had seven years to compile those numbers. Kuroko hasn't even had it's first anniversary. Time will tell, but the direction it's headed in, the gains it's making in it's over all sales suggest that Kuroko will be a hit.
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

by the way, will it be safe to conclude that Psyren won't be canceled thanks to Kagijin and Akaboshi doing worse?
It should be safe until next year, at the very least. Kagijin, Akaboshi and Wajimania are all seemingly going to get cut before Psyren is in danger.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm starting to feel suspicious about Medaka's and Akaboshi's position on cancellation. They both have been low for long time, and it wasn't weird if either one of them cut on previous round of cancelation. But, only To Love-Ru was out and the editors put 2 new series (Hokenshitsu and Lilienthal) in, also it is most likely confirmed that there going to be 2 outs (Kagijin and Wajimania). Are Medaka and Akaboshi really in danger?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It's obviously going the Poseidon route, that's why. I don't think a gag series' ToC placements are worth anything when you know for sure the japanese readers hated it from the start. And from the comments I've seen in lots of places, it seems they did.
Its not obvious its going ANY route at the moment. It just started. And just because the people that hate it are "louder" doesn't mean its completely despised. If it was as hated as everyone thinks it is, it doesn't make sense for Jump to keep it high. They would want to cut it fast.

I'm not saying its popular, but saying its 100% gonna go next cuts or is unpopular and Jump just wants it around for some strange reason even though they already have plenty of popular gag manga seems a little foolish to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top