Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

By the supposedly retired Himajin:



2009-50

Neko Wappo (Cover, Lead CP)
Naruto
One Piece
Kuroko (CP)
Gintama (Confirmed not to have CP this issue)
Bleach
Inumaru
Mago
Psyren
Reborn
Kochi Kame
Bakuman
Shinigami
Beelz
Wajimania
Medaka
Sket Dance
Lili-Dog
Ane-Doki
Kagijin (The End)
Jaguar
I like where Psyren and Mago are. I think their time is finally coming...except that Sket is now suffering cause of it.

Hara is sort of thorny with me...while he did have a few other crucial things (first to mind: Hana no Keiji), pretty much his entire repetoire is tied to the Fist of the North Star (and subsequently "Fist of the Blue Sky") sequence. I mentioned Buronson over him because Buronson has been tied to so much, both in Jump and out of it. Hara's a type I could see get in eventually...but hard to see him get in at first.

As for why I have confidence in Kurumada being a bit more respected: in some ways he's just as crucial in the invention of a lot of modern shonen as Toriyama. If one looks closer, it is easy to see his effect on the realm of manga.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I like where Psyren and Mago are. I think their time is finally coming...except that Sket is now suffering cause of it.
I don't think Psyren's and Mago's position are the cause of sket's low position. Since Medaka has been in the magazine, I am believing that those two will always fight a small popularity war with each other. Though I don't read both, I have the feeling they are somehow similar and different
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Well, Medaka is changing direction toward battle series, so... ;)
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Hokenshitsu is doing pretty good. I think it should get another colour page.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Not to mention Mago's been high for like three weeks, so i don't think it had anything to do with Sket's low position

Hokenshitsu is doing pretty good. I think it should get another colour page.
It's not doing that good, I don't think it's gonna get one unless it goes really high like in the top five or something.
 
Last edited:

TitaniumChloride

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
489
Reaction score
1,009
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

About the transliteration of the Manga Assistant chart, I've got some of it done but I'm going to be busy soon so here's what I have so far: Google Docs Spreadsheet
The mangakas that I've done are currently marked with a red stroke:

The spreadsheet is currently viewable and not editable but I'm considering otherwise. Also, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right. Please tell me what you think.

A few things of note:
  • Works and AssistantWorks refers to the latest work of the mangaka (though I've seen exceptions)
  • ListNumber and AssistantListNumber refers to the order of the mangakas mentioned work in the japanese Weekly Jump Serialized Works wiki.
  • Links and AssistantLinks refer to either their japanese wiki entries (which might have links to the English ones) or whatever site I can find with info regarding them (all japanese)




I found a japanese wiki database detailing mangaka who debuted after 1997. It also includes info on those who won prizes and who appeared in Akamaru Jump.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It's not doing that good, I don't think it's gonna get one unless it goes really high like in the top five or something.
Don't expect that all of successful new series will go to top 5, like Beelzebub. It is doing pretty good for unknown author because it didn't drop bottom 5, yet.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Medaka didn't debut too low either and didn't drop to the bottom directly after that, but until now it never gets color. I think Jump is really putting high standard after seeing Mago and beelzebub both by unknown authors, become successes
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Shinigami is in a position where it pretty much depends solely on its own to either rise or fall. It's not being pimped to infinity and beyond, but it doesn't sink either because its genre (from what I gathered from the readers' comments so far) doesn't put it in direct competition with any of the big name series, so it's easier for it to earn its own share of votes and maybe even build a fanbase in the near future. I dare say it might be the only 2009 series whose ToC placements accurately reflect its quality. For that alone it has my sympathy. :) Now if only Edited Mangas started coming out...


I think Jump is really putting high standard after seeing Mago and beelzebub both by unknown authors, become successes
This isn't a good reason to raise standards. Pretty much every hit series in Jump is by a then-unknown author, with a few exceptions. In the past two decades, the only authors who managed two consecutive hits in Jump were Togashi, Ohba, Katsura, Obata and Shimabukuro, unless I'm forgetting someone. No one knew Oda, Kishimoto, Sorachi, Amano or Hoshino before their current series, Kubo failed miserably in his first attempt, Sawai and Watsuki were one-hit wonders and so on.
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Yabuki? :P

I'd say both Black Cat and ToLoveRu were decent hits...

Obata's Blue Dragon wasn't that much of a hit though, so I wouldn't say consecutive for him.

Togashi's got Level E sandwiched between Yu-Yu and HxH.

Katsura's streak was Video Girl AI and DNA2. It's a shame that Shadow Lady wasn't a hit... otherwise it'd be 4 in a row with I''s.

No comment on Shimabukuro. :p
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

They were all coming out at the time where Jump is still churning out hit by new author almost every year. After Reborn and D.Gray, no new author has become very successful. Even Neuro wasn't that successful and more of a cult hit. Before Mago and Beelze, no new author could truly gain success and popularity.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

They were all coming out at the time where Jump is still churning out hit by new author almost every year. After Reborn and D.Gray, no new author has become very successful. Even Neuro wasn't that successful and more of a cult hit. Before Mago and Beelze, no new author could truly gain success and popularity.
Following your logic, Mago and Beelze are nowhere near what one would call "hits". They are on the right track, but haven't achieved Golden Age level as of now (and please, I'm not saying they should have), so there's no reason to believe Jump's standards would raise just because of their success. In fact, I don't even see any raised standards whatsoever. Jump hasn't become any less forgiving than it has always been. They haven't changed their methods in the slightest, and even if they had, two series achieving moderate success wouldn't justify it, let alone the fact their authors are new to the job.
 
Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Don't have much to say. Beelzebub is a bit on the low side this week. Naruto beat One Piece again, and Mago is barely out of the top 5. Looks like Psyren has recovered from its mini fall a few weeks ago.

Hokenshitsu is doing pretty good. I think it should get another colour page.
Still too early to really tell. It only has 2 chapters ranked so far and it can still rise or fall. The two times it has been ranked its only 1 or 2 spots above the bottom 5. More than enough to not fear cancellation if it got stuck there for weeks though.

Yabuki? :P

I'd say both Black Cat and ToLoveRu were decent hits...
Agreed.

Obata's Blue Dragon wasn't that much of a hit though, so I wouldn't say consecutive for him.
I think he meant Hikaru no Go and then Death Note for Obata. If he never did Blue Dragon he would have 3 in a row because of Bakuman.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think he meant Hikaru no Go and then Death Note for Obata. If he never did Blue Dragon he would have 3 in a row because of Bakuman.
Yup. I should have left the consecutive part out. I meant authors who were already well-known when they started their second hit series. Not necessarily as soon as they finished the previous one.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Still too early to really tell. It only has 2 chapters ranked so far and it can still rise or fall. The two times it has been ranked its only 1 or 2 spots above the bottom 5. More than enough to not fear cancellation if it got stuck there for weeks though.
Actually, it has 3 chapters ranked.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Mago and Psyren continue to rank well :tem Kuroko placed awful high...Jump must really want readers' to vote for it. Shinigami still doing decent while Ane Doki and Rilienthal both drop into very dangerous positions. And Gintama apparently doesn't get the Reborn treament.

Also, on the volume covers posted a few pages back: I really like Psyren's, Bakuman's and surprisingly Kuroko's covers. Naruto's is pretty good too. Beelzebub's isn't bad but kinda boring.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Mago continues to impress. High in the top ten, top five every week is excellent. Psyren improving is also welcome. Shinigami does look solid after how ever many weeks (2 or 3, I don't care). It's not so high that I wouldn't "worry" (presuming I cared enough to worry). Low in the top ten is a good place to fall from, also good place to move up. Ane Doki in last worries me. Dropping into the bottom five is one thing, last place....hurts. I'd also like to see Medaka scratch her way back up. Yes, even at Shinigami's expense.

As for the Hall of Fame, Watsuki reminds me of Fujisawa. Neither can get away from their biggest series. Unless he is writing something in the GTO universe Fujisawa seems to fail. But GTO and Kenshin are such crucial manga it's hard to exclude the creator.
 
Last edited:

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Sorachi was probably to lazay to do four colour pages in arow wich is a shame.

I'm sad to see ane doki in the botom :(
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

As for the Hall of Fame, Watsuki reminds me of Fujisawa. Neither can get away from their biggest series. Unless he is writing something in the GTO universe Fujisawa seems to fail. But GTO and Kenshin are such crucial manga it's hard to exclude the creator.
Watsuki is strange though: Kenshin was his biggest hit, but Buso Renkin sort of became a cult classic and Embalming seems to have some support somewhere or another. Sure he wouldn't get in immediately compared to some mangaka, but he could get in eventually if someone keeps those in mind.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm liking Mago's and Psyren's positions in thi TOC, although I wish Sket were higher. Shinigami seems to be doing well. I really want to read it...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top