Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I didn't follow this what's with Toriko? Is it cancelled? I thought it's the biggest hit since... since a long time. :D
No, the conversation was about the American Shonen Jump. They are just doing a 3 chapter preview starting in February then releasing it in tank form only. Its perfectly safe :)
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Wait... WAIT... did I just hear that they're kicking out GX now?

YES YES YESSSS

As much as the series has actually grown on me, Letter Bee is among my favourite series ever and I'm so happy that appears to be staying in the magazine. I wonder if Toriko will be replaced with another WSJ series (perhaps they'll bring back Gintama? It had a few chapters in SJ a while back) or with another SQ series... either way... it's becoming more like the Japanese version now, sort of.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It would be cool if they added D.Gray-man or Mago to US Jump.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It would be cool if they added D.Gray-man or Mago to US Jump.
D. Gray-man is too mature for the audience the magazine aims for. That's why they put it under Shonen Jump "Advanced" :D
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It's waaaay to late for DGM, that was licensed three years ago. Then again they did add Bleach years after it was licensed. Toriko (February, March, April issues) will be replaced by Bakuman. in May. Mago isn't licensed yet, I'm sure it will be in the magazine for at least a few issues once it is.
 

Mushashi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
501
Reaction score
52
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

D. Gray-man is too mature for the audience the magazine aims for. That's why they put it under Shonen Jump "Advanced" :D
anything ''advanced is over 16+ and yu gi oh card loving fanboys in the us will cry if they read it........, i really think that magazine should be aimed at a middle range of audience im sick of half the magazine being yu-gi-oh
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

A cat dies in the first chapter of D.Gray-Man. That alone probably keeps it out of the US Shonen Jump Magazine, tbh I thought that was a little cruel on Hoshino's part, but it's interesting to hear that Toriko will debut soon, Bakuman as well.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I can't remember if DGM was previewed in Shonen Jump. Gintama was in 2007. I'm not sure about Reborn either.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

anything ''advanced is over 16+ and yu gi oh card loving fanboys in the us will cry if they read it........, i really think that magazine should be aimed at a middle range of audience im sick of half the magazine being yu-gi-oh
For awhile, the magazine was aiming for the middle with mild language and very few edits to the artwork. Something happened around '05/'06 and the magazine, as well as most releases, for kids. Which has at some points made some of the series way to child like at some points.
<hr noshade size="1">
I can't remember if DGM was previewed in Shonen Jump. Gintama was in 2007. I'm not sure about Reborn either.
It was. They showed chapters 2 and 3 I think. Reborn wasn't though.
 
Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Neko Wappa 2 translation posted. 3 will probably come Thursday as I don't have a life, and therefore will be translating rather than eating. (Only 79 percent joking.):-P
Save me some Turkey!

Oh, Kaiten's asked me to reserve it for him, so no touching. :-P

http://mangahelpers.com/t/bomberdrufi/releases/17713

Kaiten will be very happy :tem - Akiyama
Yes he is :D
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Working on the chapter. I'm slow (and RL keeps me busy) so expect release next week.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Well, its official, both Nekowappa and Kananta Seven Change both made me laugh pretty hard. Love both series. Nekowappa is just great. Very classic comedy style and I like that. Kanata is just crazy and funny. Looking forward to the second chapters of both.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

For awhile, the magazine was aiming for the middle with mild language and very few edits to the artwork. Something happened around '05/'06 and the magazine, as well as most releases, for kids. Which has at some points made some of the series way to child like at some points.
I still remember reading a chapter of Yu-Gi-Oh in one of the 2003 magazines and being shocked that the word "ass" was in there...

I'd say DGM wouldn't be in the magazine for other reasons besides death and other violent stuff (religious connotations, anyone?). Since Bleach was brought back, I could see Reborn or Gintama coming in at a later point - or maybe Claymore? Claymore had a preview. If they're cutting GX, maybe the editors want the audience to grow up a little.

So do Neko and Kanata seem like series the Japanese public would enjoy? Not that we can tell just yet, but comments *here* seem positive... It'd be disappointing for another good series to be cancelled early.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I still remember reading a chapter of Yu-Gi-Oh in one of the 2003 magazines and being shocked that the word "ass" was in there...

I'd say DGM wouldn't be in the magazine for other reasons besides death and other violent stuff (religious connotations, anyone?). Since Bleach was brought back, I could see Reborn or Gintama coming in at a later point - or maybe Claymore? Claymore had a preview. If they're cutting GX, maybe the editors want the audience to grow up a little.
Yeah Shonen Jump used to say everything short of "shit" and "fuck". But they won't put Claymore in the magazine besides the preview, its just too violent. Reborn is doubtful because they didn't even run a preview to begin with, though it may be more popular than I imagine it is here. Gintama is a possibility. It was really well received when the first preview was ran and during the time it ran in the magazine.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

So what are the categories....I'm Japanese illiterate.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

US Shonen Jump will be oficially more mature when they decide to put in an echi series. Until then the targeted public will be young teens.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

First category is Most Interesting Manga
Second category is most Tear Jerking Manga
Third category is Akiina's choice, whoever that is, he picked a bunch of cool guys, here you're selectng the character.
Fourth category is Best Gag Manga
Fifth is Best Battle Manga
Sixth is for Best Combo-Team. It's best pair of two guys.
Seventh is for Best Transformation. And it's by character.

You pick from their choices in each one, I shouldn't need to say the names because they all have pictures.
The most popular manga's gonna win all of em, you know how these go...
I find it interesting Psyren isn't in anything. It's just not good enough...
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Now I feel the need to post my selections...

Most Interesting Manga: Nurarihyon no Mago
Tear Jerking Manga: One Piece (didn't really feel like any of them where tear jerking so I went with Luffy :tem)
Akiina's Choice: Kanda (he's just that badass)
Best Gag Manga: Jaguar
Best Battle Manga: One Piece
Best Combo-Team: Oga and baby Beel (they just make a hilarious team)
Best Transformation: Rikou


US Shonen Jump will be oficially more mature when they decide to put in an echi series. Until then the targeted public will be young teens.
btw: They did run the first chapter of I''s which is very echi especially the first chapter.
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Third category is Akiina's choice, whoever that is, he picked a bunch of cool guys, here you're selectng the character.
Akkiina is the female host of JUMBang. I think she's a real hottie but her taste in manga and character's been disturbing me the whole time...
It's the only category I have no idea whom to vote since all those characters are rather "meh".

----

Thanks for the link, anyway. Even though I think kewl's right and the big names will take most of it...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top