Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk | Page 365 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Jump Statistics For 2009 :

We still need issue 53 before we can complete those. It's one of those years with 53rd Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Is it appreciated to mention mistakes if we spot them? :tem
Didn't really keep account or anything but some things that caught my eye were:
Hoopmen had 17 chapters, One Piece took 7 breaks this year and Jaguar 2

I'm also looking foward to see Kawaguchi's work again. I don't care what other people says, Hoopman was very nice, especially toward the end :p
I'm happy to hear that! I thought it was a real fun series...it's only problem was the magazine it was published in. Hoop might have worked greatly in another anthology, I'd say. :tem

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

It would have done really well in Magazine. Though the art was more innovative then that anthology usually has. I also enjoyed Hoop Men, it was a shame it was canceled so quickly. I thought the problem wasn't just that it was unique, unique can work in Jump. Hoop was a unique sports series. That genre doesn't seem very popular with Jump readers; asking them to not only support a second basketball series and one that breaks the mold of shonen sports may have been a bit to much. I also look forward to his one shot. I'm really excited about the mangaka of Usagi coming back. That was an interesting little series. Had Usagi debuted in 2008 or 2009 instead of 2007 it might have survived even longer than it did.

andrewsungchehau

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brunei

Isn't it a bit early for Mago to have an anime?

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Isn't it a bit early for Mago to have an anime?
Not really: by the time the anime starts in April, Mago will have had 2 years. Aside from certain exceptions, 2 years is the typical starting point for a "Jump anime", sometimes with them waiting three for some series. (Naruto and Bleach notably)

Negative Syndicate

Can someone tell me the total tank sell for Jojo so far (including Stone Ocean and Steel Ball Run)? I know Jojo is second longest running series in Jump (just behind Kochikame), so I want to know how much it sold in total.

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal

I'm happy to hear about the Mago anime, but I can't help but feel sad for Psyren and Sket Dance not getting one (yet). The former two also give me the impression that they wouldn't last long without fillers, despite great pacing.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

I'm surprised Sket hasn't had an announcement yet. If it does I doubt it will get a long anime anyway. Probably 24 episodes and OVA's. It's still early, very few announcements have been made for the spring season, it's not unrealistic to think an announcement could still come. I can't even predict what will happen with Psyren :/

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea

I always expected Toriko or Bakuman will get an anime first, but I guess I was wrong :facepalm

with Mago's artwrok, the animation is going to be interesting.
Mago's future is set! :p

from looking at the stats for 2009, its pretty evident that Naruto and Kuroko got lot of special treatments :D (although two of the 11 colors for Kuroko are ones that every new series get.... than Bleach is #1 :))

a bit disappointed that Mago or Sket wasn't able to be on the cover at all this year, but i guess that can't be helped. hopefully next year they will get one.

Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Mago started before Toriko and Bakuman, it had enough chapters to go into production for a long anime first. I guarantee Toriko will get an October anime, Bakuman probably will too.

It's hard to fault Naruto for favoritism considering it's the 10th anniversary. For such a huge milestone it deserved the extra covers. Don't expect any agony posts from me but they really did go over board with Kuroko and Beelze covers. But then again we've all been complaining for years that new series don't get enough attention; now that they have everyone is complaining they get too much attention. Can't win, I guess. I'm kind of annoyed Mago did not get the cover once this year despite getting a decent amount of color.

[Cross]

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Well, seeing as Mago is getting an anime, we can pretty much expect it to get a cover in the not too distant future.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Meh. Neuro and ToRa never got the cover. DGM didn't get many covers when it had an anime. Considering how much more color Mago has gotten the last half of the year more covers will probably come anyway.

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Meh. Neuro and ToRa never got the cover. DGM didn't get many covers when it had an anime. Considering how much more color Mago has gotten the last half of the year more covers will probably come anyway.
Mago's been polling higher than those three series, though, hasn't it?

KuwabaraTheMan

Reaction score
Country
United States

Mago's been polling higher than those three series, though, hasn't it?
Not D.Gray-man, but it has been doing better than the other two. I'm sure it will get a cover for its anime.

[Cross]

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States

Well there's a difference in those series, TLR got an anime which wasn't really expected to do overwhelmingly well since it's an ecchi series, Neuro is kinda self explanatory since as I doubt too many expected it to hit a large audience. I think Mago will get an extended run if anything (52 episodes most likely, but then again we all know what happened to dgm and reborn), I notice you said DGM didn't get many covers, but it got some covers so Mago getting at least one cover is surely plausible. The rise in colour support up until now may have been to build momentum for the anime announcement.

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

Nuero and ToRa got like 1 besides the first issue. Hope Mago gets more because its selling great, polling great, and has an anime now. It should be able to push a few issues by itself.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

I think the recent Mago colors has less to do with the knowledge of the coming of the anime and more to do with Mago really emerging from the pack at this point. Sure we get more hype in the '08 series from Toriko (due to it's huge opening and Shimabukuro) and Bakuman (due to the reteaming of Ohba/Obata), but Mago set itself out without any of those and is doing really well just doing what it does best. Toriko's time is still probably coming and we may see much more Bakuman hype due to DN's multimedia successes, but I think Mago deserves this.

As for Sket and Psyren:
-Sket: anime could still come any time now but it all depends on if someone wants to risk it.
-Psyren: too risky a proposition, particularly with a yo-yoer that is rather strange compared to what else is eligible. (though it is a tad older than Mago)

KuwabaraTheMan

Reaction score
Country
United States

As for Sket and Psyren:
-Sket: anime could still come any time now but it all depends on if someone wants to risk it.
-Psyren: too risky a proposition, particularly with a yo-yoer that is rather strange compared to what else is eligible. (though it is a tad older than Mago)
Sket, I think, will have an anime debut sometime in 2010. I think it will show up in the fall season.

Psyren, as you say, is a lot riskier. I think that if it's still alive at this time next year, then it will have a good shot at a 2011 anime. There's no way an unpopular series is getting an anime after 2 years, though.

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Psyren might be like Bleach an take 3 years. Sket seems almost certain that it will get an anime though, due to the drama CD and the vomic. Now that I think about it, Beelzebub and Inu might get one too, especially the former.

By the way, I was wondering, which current series running in Jump do you guys think have the best art. List them in order of preference please. Mine would have to be:

Bakuman (due to intense expressionism I get from seeing its art)
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami (very easy on the eyes)
Reborn! (kind of prefered it before, but still pretty good)
Psyren (has a unique modern/retro look which I love)
Bleach (boring backgrounds but very awesome character designs)
One Piece (how can you not like it?)
Nurarihyon no Mago (very detailed and pretty)
Naruto (may have worsened, but still a pretty good style)
Ane Doki (a good looking ecchi series)
Sket Dance (pleasant)
Beelzebub (casual)
Medaka Box (cool lineart)
Gintama (alright)
Toriko (alright; sometimes creepy monster designs)
Neko Wappa
Jaguar!
Inumarudashi
Kanata
Rilienthal
Kuroko
Kochikame

You don't have to list all the series like I did, nor do you have to explain why.

Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine

The only two manga that their art strikes me as very different from the standard shonen look is Bakuman and Nurarihyon no Mago. I love both of their art. The rest I can't complain with but its not stand outish. Mago would have to be my favorite though.

Status
Not open for further replies.