Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
oh gaaawwd

Kuroko so high... go down, you, bad manga! :mad

Meister, you go up.


Is Kuroko in its real rating or is it still in the first 8 chapters?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I don't really care if To-Love Ru gets cancelled or whateveer- I just want it to end. The sooner it does, the sooner we can get a Black Cat sequel. :)
ugh no. sequels to manga usually suck, and i've had enough eve for a lifetime. what he needs to do now is something new and ORIGINAL... three years of UY for the new generation is just lazy

1 One Piece
2 Gintama
3 Toriko
4 Kuroko (WHOA WHAT THE FUCK?!)
5 Baku-man
6 Sket Dance
7 Es21
8 Psyren
9 Inu
10 To Love
11 Mago
12 Neuro
13 Meister
14 Askelpios (End)

well... meisters fucked, but kuroko's doing well.. that's kinda nice. also yay sket dance, awww inu for knocking on the bottom 5's door
 
Last edited:

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
So bokke-san is doing good :D Sadly I can't translate it but it is doing good :D
That's pretty cool to know

As I thought Psyren would be a bit lower this week. It's exceptional for a sket dance, psyren and other to be in a top. But still good enough imo.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, good call on Eve, Noodles. :) With Kuroko scoring so high, it's no wonder it's getting a color page. Too bad for Psyren. I was hoping it would make the top five (or close to it) it's home. Well, at least it's doing better. Also would it really be possible for Eyeshield 21 to move to Jump Square? Has something like that ever been done? Either way, I doubt it will happen though...
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, I'm surprise that Kuroko got such a high start....but at the same time, it could still be freshman blues...but hey, good for it. (good week for Sket as well)

Probably the only really interesting factor of this week...is that with Naruto, Bleach and Reborn all pulled for colors, we get to see a bit of a pecking order of everything else...well, below One Piece :P
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Meister is so much better. I don't get it. Basketball is so bland...

I am sad. I thought Psyren would be in the top five again this week.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I knew it. I knew Toriko was going to be a hit when it first showed up and I knew Kuroko would be as well. It just has what it takes to intrigue the readers, likable characters, and lots of room to grow.

See ya later Asklepios, you were pretty boring
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Uh, top five huh? Meister and Kuroko are basically the same series with different sports so well, I guess it's basketball season in Japan right now. Not a top five series by any stretch of the imagination. But hey, with Bleach, Reborn, and Naruto all getting color it can have it's week of glory. Not sure how it got past Bakuman though.

I'd like to see Mago higher. Nice seeing Psyren out of the basement. Ranking higher then ToRa and Inu is a victory in my book!
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The only really good thing going for Mago's case at this time is pretty much similar to what Psyren and Sket seemed to get: a second-wind once the first anniversary comes. Mago's anniversary will be in March (only other real anniversary coming up prior is Neuro) so we'll see if it makes it there and goes from there.

And another comment I didn't make prior: Gintama being #2 could just be from Naruto, Bleach and Reborn not getting it...but if this really is Kuroko's first issue, then it ties in to both a Shinsengumi arc (who are extremely popular with fangirls)...and perhaps one of the greatest bits Sorachi ever did in the series.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It always make me nervous when series collapse near the end of an arc. This is what happened with Psyren and the Dholaki arc. This is what is happening with Mago. Even though it would be incredibly stupid, they could end the series right now easily. Well, then they would lose out on money....
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm confused. Is this Kuroko's first or second ranking?

Either way, I'm very glad to see it in the Top 5. I haven't read Meister and for now I don't care for Bokke-san so technically it's my favorite of the newbies, and as such it's great to see it so high in the ToC - even if it is an extremely anomalous week. Mago and Neuro aside, this whole ToC makes me very happy.
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm confused. Is this Kuroko's first or second ranking?
It's been 9 weeks since its debut in issue 2, so I'd say this is its 2nd ranking.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't buy that first ranking at chapter 6 thing. Meister didn't collapse til it's 8th chapter.
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yes, it's definitely suspicious. It was perplexing enough when Meister crashed a week or two too late, as Randal points out above, and now I'm asked to believe that Kuroko went from a first ranking right outside the bottom 5 to one in the top 5? If Kuroko crashes down next week then yes, perhaps it will make sense, but as it stands this 8-week thing is very suspect.

Even if Bleach & Naruto had been ranked, Kuroko would still have been sixth from the top (seeing as it beat Bakuman fair and square, it would have had a good chance of beating Reborn too), which is - again - a big jump for a newly ranked series after a sixth-from-bottom postion.
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't buy that first ranking at chapter 6 thing. Meister didn't collapse til it's 8th chapter.
And Chagecha collapsed at chapter 7 after only 6 weeks. No real way of knowing for sure. Only thing that is for sure is that it has been 9 weeks since its debut. Maybe there was a grace chapter though since there were two double issues back to back. Who knows...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm also suspicious of Kuroko; top five this week and color next week? I don't know.... Let's give it a few weeks, we all said the same thing about Toriko and it hasn't left the top five yet.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think in some ways that if Jump sees something with potential, they give it a bit of a boost. That doesn't mean it will still last...I remember Tsugihagi got an early color not too long after its 8 weeks and it eventually collapsed...it's more about the editors probably seeing something with interest and testing out the waters a bit more.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It should only be natural. If you have a product to promote, promote it. That's not to say we all should get suckered into believing it's the next big series. Double Arts debuted in the top five and collapsed very quickly.
 

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hmm... I thought Kuroko would be where Meister is right now with Meister in the middle, ah well. I still don't think Kuroko will be able to hit consistently the top 5. I'm guessing that the fans of Meister are reading Kuroko too which is helping it?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top