Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm so glad DA sold so well.
Very impressive considering it was the final volume of a canceled series. I never saw numbers for volumes one and two, I'm very curious. I'm looking forward to see how Mago 3 sells in January, I've never seen definite numbers for one and two.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Wait, if DGM and Reborn's sales are so close, how come Reborn's in that Oricon top 10 and DGM isn't?

(Damn you, Oricon, I always trust you when it comes to music. Don't make me lose hope now.)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
As I said, that top ten is not an overall sales top ten. 20th Century Boys outselling Nana AND Nodame Cantobile more than two years after ending isn't even conceivable. 20th Century Boys didn't outsell Nana while it was still running. That Reborn is also higher isn't even worth mentioning.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
As I said, that top ten is not an overall sales top ten. 20th Century Boys outselling Nana AND Nodame Cantobile more than two years after ending isn't even conceivable. 20th Century Boys didn't outsell Nana while it was still running. That Reborn is also higher isn't even worth mentioning.
But it doesn't seem to be the usual Meaningless Popularity Poll Oricon likes to put out, either - maybe some sort of total sales since... some year or something? That'd explain DGM being lower since it has fewer volumes to have been released. Or maybe Oricon just gets reports from certain stores or something... heck, I don't know. Maybe someone bribed them. Happens with music.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Possibly back catalog sales, volumes that are from 2007 or before. Nothing that would give a clear idea of what is currently most popular. The individual volume list gives a very clear picture. You can also see how thoroughly Jump owns the competition with that chart. Count how many Weekly Jump manga are in the top fifty vs. Shonen Sunday and Shonen Magazine ^^
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think 20th Century Boys is outselling Nana and Cantobile because now is it's time in the spotlight. The movies are coming/here, Urasawa is a respectable if not already legendary mangaka and it's probably going through the same "must buy now" effect that has reboosted Watchmen to #1 in the US prior to it's movie coming out in March.

On the other hand, with the realization that Bleach's final volume may boost up it's numbers past Reborn, it's sort of hard to say which of the two is stronger. Bleach really isn't as strong as it used to be while Reborn is sort of the newer bigger gun thanks to it's following in Japan. (which somehow isn't translating over here since Viz is still quarterly with Reborn while Bleach had to go in the magazine to slow down)
 

Josl

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2008
Messages
241
Reaction score
321
Gender
Male
Country
Austria
Can someone explain to me why is 20th Century Boys on Place 3. I thought it ended 2007
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Can someone say me why is 20th Century Boys on Place 3. I thought it ended 2007
I'm surprised your the only other person who's noticed (or spoke up about) how ridiculous looking that chart is. Whoever posted these lists claimed the first was top ten in yearly sales. I don't speak Japanese but can plainly tell it is a less important chart then that. Back catalog sales, online sales, something like that. The second list, top ten single volumes is Oricon's main manga chart. They left links for the full lists, the top fifty is actually quite fascinating. If any one wants to see what really was popular in Japan in 2008, check that out. Here's the other chart. It is a real top ten. There's no doubt. I just don't know what top ten. It most definitely does not represent the top ten in total sales. Even better, it contradicts the top fifty. My god, 20thCB hasn't been in any of Oricon's top weekly thirty charts this year. Last week number thirty sold 23, 094 copies. You mean to tell me every volume sold less then 23,094 copies and still outsold every title except One Piece and Naruto? Movies or no, it hasn't gotten anywhere close to that type of surge in popularity. In order for it to outsell the titles it's outselling it would have to have become more popular now then it was when it was new. More likely it's old volumes are outselling their old volumes.

So no: Reborn did not outsell Bleach, Nana, and Nodame Cantobile this year. 20th Century Boys and Reborn did not outsell Bleach, Nana, and Nodame Cantobile.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
man you're really blowing a load over this. it's ultimately unimportant, so knickers.... untwist. it doesn't look particularly ridiculous, and who knows anything can happen.
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Very impressive considering it was the final volume of a canceled series.
I know five people who ordered all volumes and it's still in planning for me, so yeah. Despite it being dropped, it still has it buyers :)

Can someone explain to me why is 20th Century Boys on Place 3. I thought it ended 2007
Probably got a boost through the first part of the movie trilogy :nod
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
#04-05 :
One Piece (Pc)
Naruto
Gintama
Baku-man
Reborn
Bleach (Poster)
Sket Dance
Es21
Bokke (29p) (Page Couleur)
Kuroko
Kochi
Meister
Toriko (Special 4 Pages tout en Couleur)
Mago
Psyren
Naoshi Komi (Double Arts) / Apple (One Shot)
Inudashi
Neuro
Hettapi
To Love
Askelpios
Jaguar

Yusei Matsui (Auteur de Neuro) : "L'année Prochaine, Fin de la Série Prevue"

#06-07 :
Naruto (Pc + Cover Alternative)
Baku-man (Pc)
Kyôsuke Usuta / Double Mamedaishi (One Shot, Pc, 48p)
Bokke (27p)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Sket rises from the dead! Sadly, Toriko could be in trouble.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Sadly, Toriko could be in trouble.
If only. It's probably just the colour page middle-of-the-mag placement... >_>

Every time I see Bakuman spelled that way, I think of DGM. :(
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Toriko's not positioned this week, it's got the colours. also SKET DANCE MOTHERFUCKERS! Woooooo! etc
top 5 top 5 top 5 etc

psyren is on the peak of the bottom 5 but who cares that's safe so i have no reason to rib it
oh and reborn recovers....
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
ooo sket top 5ing it
and reborn beats bleach

damn i love christmas
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Funny thing, did everyone forget some other important news?

It seems neuro will be finished next year. I assume they mean beginning of 2009 (at least I hope so :p)
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
It occurs to me this is like the lowest amount of ranked series EVER, with there literally only being two series between Sket at #5, and..... oh wait we forgot Gintama. there are THREE series between Bleach at #5 and Psyren at the peak of the bottom 5
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
It occurs to me this is like the lowest amount of ranked series EVER, with there literally only being two series between Sket at #5, and..... oh wait we forgot Gintama. there are THREE series between Bleach at #5 and Psyren at the peak of the bottom 5
Yes indeed I totally forgot the unranked series

+ the hetappi (that's what I believe) is another free spot because of hxh hiatus
 
Last edited:

sir_arles

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2008
Messages
481
Reaction score
271
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
Hello!

I was wondering, is in this thread were all the WSJ covers will be posted in HQ, like It was in the WSJ 2008??

Because I checked the 1st page of this thread, and even tough the covers are posted, they're not in HQ, and I don't know if It's because they haven't been scanned yet, or because they are not supposed to be here =P

If not, in which thread the WSJ covers in HQ will be posted?

Thanx in advance!

See ya
Nos vemos
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top