Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Normally, I would agree but not when it comes to something like manga. If I say that I prefer one series to another, no one or no facts can tell me otherwise. And I'm not saying that statistically PoT is better than Slam Dunk. But I know that people out there prefer PoT over Slam Dunk. Are you saying that our opinions are less valuable than others simply because we are in the minority?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Thats mean, thats very mean. You can't really be sure if those won't turn out to be just as good or better. You need to at least read them before making a statement like that.

Give the sports series a try, I always do, doesn't matter what the series is as long as it's sports specificlly basketball series. This habit of mine is mainly due to Slam Dunk which was just jaw-dropping good.
Who said I hadn't read them, I'm reading all three new series. I like them, there solid shonen. All have been interesting enough to continue reading, none have been interesting enough to care if they're canceled. By the time the next cuts come maybe my opinion will change, for better or worse. Meister and Kuroko need actual game scenes before they can be judged. Still, better one of them die then lose Mago.
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Normally, I would agree but not when it comes to something like manga. If I say that I prefer one series to another, no one or no facts can tell me otherwise. And I'm not saying that statistically PoT is better than Slam Dunk. But I know that people out there prefer PoT over Slam Dunk. Are you saying that our opinions are less valuable than others simply because we are in the minority?
I think he's saying that, clearly, people out there do prefer Slam Dunk to Prince of Tennis and even manga of the supernatural/action genre (Jojo only got 2nd place). So even though you may think to yourself that Japanese fans like Prince of Tennis more, you're simply wrong.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think it would be a huge shame if Mago got canceled. It has been a long time since I have seen a newcomer with such consistently beautiful art and creative drawings. I really think if this manga can not survive in Jump, there is something wrong here. Especially due to how well it sells.
 

GGpX

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2005
Messages
985
Reaction score
580
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I think he's saying that, clearly, people out there do prefer Slam Dunk to Prince of Tennis and even manga of the supernatural/action genre (Jojo only got 2nd place). So even though you may think to yourself that Japanese fans like Prince of Tennis more, you're simply wrong.
See, why is that so hard to understand? /me scratches head
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So yeah...Eyeshield is getting canceled. XD

With the most recent chapter containing the Millitaria AND Germany games, I'm pretty sure they are getting a rushed ending. I'm kind of glad...It would've been a shame for it to fully burn out. The new arc really does suck...They should've ended where it was supposed to. The only way I can see it continuing further is if they have Sena go into the NFL. I really hope they don't....

Sena joins the Steelers for the Superbowl. XD
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I think it would be a huge shame if Mago got canceled. It has been a long time since I have seen a newcomer with such consistently beautiful art and creative drawings. I really think if this manga can not survive in Jump, there is something wrong here. Especially due to how well it sells.
Agreed. The story and characters are good to. If Sket, Mago, and Psyren can hang on, along with Toriko and Bakuman, that's a very nice set of new series. Maybe one of the new sports series (I doubt both will) last; ES21 has one foot in the grave and it would be really weird to have a shonen magazine without a sports series.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Jump just needs to publish a Curling manga. XD
 

Onomatopoeia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2008
Messages
2,116
Reaction score
308
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, I know all about Slam Dunk and its beastiness, but that was just my opinion. I'm well aware that most may disagree. However, you can't tell me alot of Japanese fans would not agree with my statment. However, I did not know those facts so thanks for expanding my knowledge. :)
In the Japan Media Arts Festival Slam Dunk was voted the best Manga of all time ,79,000 people voted

Sold 100 million+ Mangas and is 4th highest most sold in Jump History.

YOu might think that PoT>Slam Dunk and there are people out their who think the same but their are far more people who think the opposite.
Who said I hadn't read them, I'm reading all three new series. I like them, there solid shonen. All have been interesting enough to continue reading, none have been interesting enough to care if they're canceled. By the time the next cuts come maybe my opinion will change, for better or worse. Meister and Kuroko need actual game scenes before they can be judged. Still, better one of them die then lose Mago.
Ah ok I thought you hadn't read them based on your last post.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
this is all... really meaningless... i kinda agree with ggpx on the whole facts>opinions, but at the same time i'm an opinionated twat, so i can sit abck and say meister is already the second best sports manga ive ever read (rookies is better) and ignore the general populace's overwhelming opinion cause its fun...

so... topic... cancellation predictions: bokke-san and asklepios are preferable
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
See, why is that so hard to understand? /me scratches head
I never said that Japanese fans prefer PoT. I said that I do. Don't treat me like an idiot cause I'm not. My original comment was a completely opinionated one anyway. I had no idea it would be subject to such unnecessary critisim. I know for a fact that the majority of Japanese fans prefer Slam Dunk. But I also know that alot of probably prefer PoT (or any other sports series). And facts>opinions don't work for manga! Naruto is extremely popular. I love it. I lot of others do too. But there are alot that don't. While we BELIEVE that Naruto trumps other manga, we have no right to say that since more people prefer Naruto, then any manga they BELIEVE to be better is not. It's all about personal preferences. GOT IT MEMORIZED?
 

Muddy

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Umm... dude:

But I know that people out there prefer PoT over Slam Dunk.
Maybe you meant to write 'some people' and forgot to, or 'there are people out there,' or some other such qualifier, but that statement above sounds like you're talking about the majority of Japanese people.

And yeah, what Randal said about Mago. I still wish Double Arts were around (yes yes I know) but Mago is excellent as well and deserves to survive.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So yeah...Eyeshield is getting canceled. XD

With the most recent chapter containing the Millitaria AND Germany games, I'm pretty sure they are getting a rushed ending. I'm kind of glad...It would've been a shame for it to fully burn out. The new arc really does suck...They should've ended where it was supposed to. The only way I can see it continuing further is if they have Sena go into the NFL. I really hope they don't....

Sena joins the Steelers for the Superbowl. XD
Personally I really didn't think that some of the lower rankings for what were essentially set-up chapters was going to lead to a move of this magnitude. Now either ES21 is back to deathwatch...or the final battle with the US is just going to be that long.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
1 chapter covering two world cup games was just wrong. All we saw was Militaria and Germany get beat bad.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
And facts>opinions don't work for manga!
Yes they do, when those facts are not BASED ON opinion.

Saying Naruto = best shounen manga ever is not a fact, because it's based on opinion.

Saying Naruto = one of the most popular shounen manga ever is a fact, because those statistics can actually be measured and compared.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I say the next cuts are Asklepios, Kuroko and Eyeshield. Kuroko, although almost identical to Meister, seems slightly weaker. Eyeshield seems doomed due to current developments as long as they aren't planning on doing a lame 'Sena in the NFL' arc. Asklepios....no comment.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Jump just needs to publish a Curling manga. XD
I'd rather a synchronized swimming manga, but curling's a better fit for Jump ;)

I'm not so sure about Eyeshield canceled/ending with the next cuts. Getting through the World Cup by March would require quite a rush. Despite it's declining popularity I don't see cancellation, it's been an integral part of the magazine for to long. Eyeshield will be treated as well, or better as POT. It will end this year or move to another magazine. I can't imagine it continuing, at least in WSJ, past the World Cup.

If I had to guess: Asklepios (obviously), Bokke - san or Kuroko, and Neuro will be the next to go.
 

fxu

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
847
Reaction score
1,103
Gender
Male
Country
Uruguay
As long as they don't cut Psyren or Meister, I'm cool :]

In other news, a character popularity poll for Psyren started this week.

How long does it take for the results to be out? (I'm guessing a couple of months?)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
you're exactly right! expect them with a colour page too a la everything, so that's something to look forward to. also the number of votes are important, it can give a clearer idea on how big the japanese fanbase is
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
... and how long does it mostly take to print/publish the poll results? What's the time gap of releasing the poll and the results. I can assume it certainly depends on fanbase, no? The more votes, the longer it takes
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top