Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
God, I hope you never get your way...
Let me ask you this: why do you want the anime to keep going? Pierrot just keeps speeding up things too fast, eating through material and needs to keep bringing in fillers to at least have a chance to keep the anime going. And at the same time, considering the anime is crucial to keep a manga's image out there, ending the anime will start to show who is really into this series and if it really deserves all it gets. Besides, some of the most popular manga out there never even get their whole series animated or wait much longer to get their endings done (like Kinnikuman or St. Seiya)...if Bleach is worthy, it will prove it in the long run and ending the anime now will determine where it stands in the magazine without it. (not to mention possibly get an OVA to get it's ending with no fillers)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Bleach's anime doesn't seem popular enough to be propping up the manga. The DVD's are never top ten sellers, nor does it ever get a high share in ratings. The manga is a mega - seller, not that far off Naruto in popularity and well ahead of Reborn/DGM. The series best positioned to overtake Bleach are still to new; Bakuman and Toriko will need a couple of years to close the sales gap. What would kill Bleach, in my opinion, would be stretching. If Kubo pushes it past 450 chapters it would be a disaster.
 
Last edited:

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The filler is the reason I stopped watching Bleach. After I got to the current arc and found out there were more fillers I gave up. XD
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let me ask you this: why do you want the anime to keep going? Pierrot just keeps speeding up things too fast, eating through material and needs to keep bringing in fillers to at least have a chance to keep the anime going. And at the same time, considering the anime is crucial to keep a manga's image out there, ending the anime will start to show who is really into this series and if it really deserves all it gets. Besides, some of the most popular manga out there never even get their whole series animated or wait much longer to get their endings done (like Kinnikuman or St. Seiya)...if Bleach is worthy, it will prove it in the long run and ending the anime now will determine where it stands in the magazine without it. (not to mention possibly get an OVA to get it's ending with no fillers)

I'm afraid that my reasons for wanting it to stay are no where near as complex as your reasons for wanting it to leave. While you have a point and are probably right, I simply love Bleach and enjoy reading as well as watching it. I would hate not being able to watch it with Naruto, One Piece, and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5d's every week. I would hate not being able to look foward to new openings and endings. That's all. Besides, is the anime really hurting anyone?
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bottom five



#14 (02/03) :

Eyeshield 21
Psyren
Nogami Neuro
Bokke-san
To Love
Jaguar

No Op this week.

#15 (09/03) :
Bleach (Cover & PC)

Colour: Hoop, D.gray-Man
This does not make me happy. Seeing 3 or 4 of the series I like this low isn't good. :darn

Bleach needs to get cancelled. It's obviously NOT going to survive without the ridiculous amount of covers it gets.

Seriously. I understand DGM not getting the cover if Hoop Men begins that week, but that gets shafted too? Dear god. Talk about a pimped series. Thanks for sacrificing a series that already sells well for this, Jump!
This is freaking truth.

Bleach in its current form is horrid and undeserving of all this promotion its been getting.:notrust

DGM has been gone all this time and really does deserve a cover for its return. I could have even stomached another series getting the cover but for it to be Bleach when nothing special is really happening is just ugh. If all this promotion has to be used to keep Bleach afloat it should be left to drown until Kubo gets his act together. It isn't like it won't keep selling in tank form even if the sales were cut in half.

I also agree with the Anime needing to die. They literally have no material to use since they are so close to the manga Kubo's abysmal pacing pretty much guarantees things will remain that way.

Bleach anime going down might actually push Kubo into the position to increase the story quality again.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Sucks to see Bokke-san keep falling. Can't really be particularly optimisitic about it but hopefully it'll work it's way up.

Glad to see Mago's higher this week.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Bombeeeer ;_; I hoped you'd do it, since you're already indulging your masochistic self with other gag series, I thought you'd save another translator from the horror of having to do it >.>

FINE! I liked the chapter, and this could be an opportunity to get away from that "sports manga translator" tag >.> Can't promise I'll be fast, but I'll probably give it a try :shakefist

Lol! talk about irony XD You're trying not to be the 'sports manga translator' and I'm trying not to be the 'gag manga from Shounen Sunday' translator. And am I really that much of a masochist? O_o *Looks at wall of text* Riiiight...yeah. But it looks like we both got beaten to the punch in any case ^^;; I really hope this gets a regular scanner! I have nothing against it or anything I just don't want to do anymore gag for the time being, nor do I want to do Jump manga for the same reason.

To keep 'quasi' on topic....WHERE THE HECK IS MY DGM COVER?! DO WE REALLY NEED ANOTHER BLEACH ONE?! Though I guess this is part of Shueisha's sale tactics, because lets just face it. Bleach isn't so bad when read as a whole tank opposed to weekly. This is why Kubo needs to join the other (Oo)kubo and go monthly. If he did that, he'd have plenty of pages to draw nothing happening, and the hype of a whole month to keep us interested.

Welcome back DGM. Now you come back too HXH and make this magazine whole :)
 

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
6,654
Reaction score
3,871
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
France
And am I really that much of a masochist? O_o *Looks at wall of text* Riiiight...yeah.
I've read raws of Gintama. Yes you are :p

Anyway, on the subject of Bleach yet getting another cover, I think that's not a matter of promoting it. I think that's a matter of Kubo being the most bored of all the mangakas in Jump right now (since you can't say there's too much work for him to be done with the backgrounds and fights of Hueco Mundo). So rather than Bleach deserving promotion, I think it's more a matter of Kubo being the most able to produce cover and color pages on a regular basis, while other mangakas are struggling with their schedules.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
What's wrong with bleach having a cover? Okay bleach is getting a lot of covers and colour pages but it's obvious covers are given to top series like one piece, naruto and bleach (count toriko in sooner or later). Then you have those mid series like sub top ones like es21, reborn, gintama who temporarily get one.

I prefer a hoshino d.g-m drawn chapter with color page over a cover and d.g-m drawn chapter with less pages because of the time consuming cover.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
At least Bleach covers look pretty. (I'm not saying DGM covers aren't by the way).
 

Xophien

Eroge Danchou
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
6,654
Reaction score
3,871
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
France
What's wrong with bleach having a cover? Okay bleach is getting a lot of covers and colour pages but it's obvious covers are given to top series like one piece, naruto and bleach
It starts to be wrong when Bleach gets as many covers as the other two together >.> Like this great post of SSJWill4 has shown, the number of covers and color pages Bleach has would just be absurd if it was only reflecting the popularity of the manga, so that's why we're looking for other factors. Unless you think Bleach is twice as much popular as One Piece >.>
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm afraid that my reasons for wanting it to stay are no where near as complex as your reasons for wanting it to leave. While you have a point and are probably right, I simply love Bleach and enjoy reading as well as watching it. I would hate not being able to watch it with Naruto, One Piece, and Yu-Gi-Oh! 5d's every week. I would hate not being able to look foward to new openings and endings. That's all. Besides, is the anime really hurting anyone?
Yeah, it's convenient to see it every week, but sometimes you wonder if that time could be used for some other anime. And while a lot of Bleach OP/ED kick butt...you could say that for a lot of anime, though personally I don't think I would notice them so easily if it weren't a shonen series. I don't hate Bleach as much as my venom makes you think so, I just sort of don't think it really is a series like OP or Naruto which sort of is so big that the anime won't end until the manga does...therefore why I think a lot of it's problems should be enough of an excuse to end it and then see what happens.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
It starts to be wrong when Bleach gets as many covers as the other two together >.> Like this great post of SSJWill4 has shown, the number of covers and color pages Bleach has would just be absurd if it was only reflecting the popularity of the manga, so that's why we're looking for other factors. Unless you think Bleach is twice as much popular as One Piece >.>
I don't think bleach is as twice times more popular than One Piece. Well I kinda agree with your argument when it's becoming as absurd as the quoted post showed. No arguing about that. Yes, people can be annoyed by who many covers it get. Then again, I wonder:there must be some reason, no? Somehow editors have to decide this and I highly doubt it would be bleach's love. Well let's see what bakuman will answer later on ;)
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Then you have those mid series like sub top ones like es21, reborn, gintama who temporarily get one.
DGM sells well enough to be one, and it was ranking pretty well for a while before the hiatus...

But Jump wasn't always like that. It USED to give covers to more series. It's just stopped doing that now. To the point where it's been more than two years for DGM...
 

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Like someone said before, Kubo just has more time to do covers then others, I don't think Kubo's art in chapters is that time consuming.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I've read raws of Gintama. Yes you are :p

Anyway, on the subject of Bleach yet getting another cover, I think that's not a matter of promoting it. I think that's a matter of Kubo being the most bored of all the mangakas in Jump right now (since you can't say there's too much work for him to be done with the backgrounds and fights of Hueco Mundo). So rather than Bleach deserving promotion, I think it's more a matter of Kubo being the most able to produce cover and color pages on a regular basis, while other mangakas are struggling with their schedules.
the ES21 artist seems far more capable of doing more stuff than just the weeklies aswell (hence the high colour count, hetappi, that jump SQ one shot) so i'm not sure i should chastise kubo with this in mind. but it's like stroking the ego of an already jaded creator...

on a related note to other posters, check out the 03/04/05 covers. happier times in jump, happier times.

but ah well let's wait for the gospel of bakuman to answer our gripes on this sorta thing XD
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, never seen an entire day go by without a post... Can't wait for the new covers... :)
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Fine. Since one has anything to say. I already posted this to the ShoMag thread, but only like three people ever go there ^^ (shame on you all, it's a great magazine) so I'll post it here too:

This is probably only of interest to me, and says nothing most of you didn't already know about Jump, but here is a breakdown of the demographics for the big three shonen magazines.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Fine. Since one has anything to say. I already posted this to the ShoMag thread, but only like three people ever go there ^^ (shame on you all, it's a great magazine) so I'll post it here too:

This is probably only of interest to me, and says nothing most of you didn't already know about Jump, but here is a breakdown of the demographics for the big three shonen magazines.
Huh, this really is interesting to know.

Seems like as long as a series appeals to enough 12-14 year olds it should have no worries about being canceled.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Fine. Since one has anything to say. I already posted this to the ShoMag thread, but only like three people ever go there ^^ (shame on you all, it's a great magazine) so I'll post it here too:

This is probably only of interest to me, and says nothing most of you didn't already know about Jump, but here is a breakdown of the demographics for the big three shonen magazines.

I definitely go there, Kaiten, and to the Sunday one as well. Thank you for the information...it's interesting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top