Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
the style of Medaka Box alone turns me off. Looks like a gayer version of Code Geass, and I hate CLAMP's art. And if I don't like the art, it's really, really hard for me to enjoy a manga.
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is the manga for Suikoden going to follow the game exactly or is it going to just follow the general plot of the story? In terms of Medaka Box I hate ecchi but I'm hoping it's just on the side and the martial arts stuff is the main focus. The main character looks like a beast. I really like his design.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, to me it didn't look like it was an ecchi series, I'm gonna see if I can get the oneshot out as soon as possible because I'm starting to wonder what it's about myself.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Well it will be the question: what has the storyteller done before

I believe it's about him

Some things ring me a bell like bakemonogatari (which will be an anime btw), Death note another note,...
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
He did a one shot with Obata last year as well. The one with the really long name ^^ One of his novel series, Zaregoto, is available in the states. Some of his short stories (prose, not manga) is in the English language Faust anthology. Both are worth checking out. He's a good writer, I'm excited he's doing a weekly manga. NisiOisiN is quite famous in Japan. I doubt his first attempt at serialized manga will be generic ecchi. But to me a little fanservice is a selling point ;)

Nice to see Neuro leave on such a high note. Hopefully Matsui does the right thing and never returns to Weekly Jump. As nice as it was to see something as subversive and trippy as Neuro in WSJ, Matsui's style is better suited for Young Jump.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
we both still like beelzebub don't we :amuse
yeah but i much prefer hoop men and the medaka box oneshot XD


at present i could care less about suikoden, simply because i'm perhaps the only person on this planet who's been eagerly awaiting Akatsuki's return to WSJ serialisation since M&Y flopped.

still.... woulda liked little brave more
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
yeah but i much prefer hoop men and the medaka box oneshot XD

Not trying to start anything, but what do you find so special about Hoop Men?
I'm hoping this Medaka Box is not just ecchi. Man that would be awful... otherwise, I can be optimistic...


And I think we can agree on Psyren.
 

GARusashi

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
5
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
yeah I can't find anything appealing about Hoop Men. Kuroko is starting to dwindle for me, but it's still better then Hoop Men.

My guess is HxH will be ready to come back by the time Hoop Men is ready to go out.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Sucks about Bokke-san, kinda saw this coming with the last raw chapter but I was still hoping it'd get through.

Medaka Box doesn't particularly interest me, but Suikoden could depending on what it is. If it's based on any of the games I imagine that it'll be the new one for the DS, Suikoden Tierkreis.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Not trying to start anything, but what do you find so special about Hoop Men?
I'm hoping this Medaka Box is not just ecchi. Man that would be awful... otherwise, I can be optimistic...


And I think we can agree on Psyren.
it's true that i haven't established my whys very well, so i'll clarify.

Hoop men has done everything just how i want it: sports without the sport. it's not about the sport, it's about the individuals effort and learning, and his interaction with other characters.

not only that but the art is stylistic and outside of some bum colour pages has been more up my alley than most series in recent times.

more than anything though it's the characters. they're all brilliantly balanced, full of potential and feel like real people.


also on the tiny scale of bonus points it uses english well and has solid humour. double barrelled bonus points


and i don't think there's anyone out there with a bad opinion of psyren anymore, it's finally hit the right stride
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Even though I would've preferred it go this round Hoop Men is still a pretty cool series.

Not perfect, but I think it would've had a lot of potential if it hadn't been doomed from the start.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Very interesting. Anyone know what Medaka Box was about? I always liked Hoshin Engi a lot, so maybe Suikoden will be good as well.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,234
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Great to see Amano returning to WSJ, though I hope it's not a video game adaptation...
Medaka Box looked interesting too. So the new series is just Medaka then? No box?
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Anyone know what Medaka Box was about?
I just skipped over the one shot and in general it's a bit like Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu. (I hope I won't be raped by Haruhi fans for that comparison)

The story - as far as I understood - is the following:
We have a tough girl, Kurokami Medaka, as main character who's voted to be the new president of the student council (guess that's what it's called in English) and she installs a Meyasu Bako - a box where you throw in requests if you got problems and such things.
That thing's working really well and Medaka receives loads of requests. In the OS she accepts a request from the Judo club...

During her mission Medaka's - "voluntarily" - given aid by Hitoyoshi Zenkichi who she'd been friends with in middle school.

In the end that Meyasu Bako was renamed to "Medaka Box" and Hitoyoshi's given the job of vice president.
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
sounds pretty much like how i read it, so it's nice to know i can guess things well enough.

and in concept it's kinda like sket dance eh
 

Lingwe

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
106
Reaction score
106
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I got a request to do Medaka Box about a couple of weeks ago but have been putting it off...I'd better get it done in preparation for the serialisation. Probably won't do any more than that though, it just doesn't look that interesting to me.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I see I wasn't the only one that thought Medaka Box sounds a bit like Sket Dance. XD

Hmm if that is how things are the story sounds really interesting to me. If it ends up being great I hope it can live for a while. I want to take a look at that one-shot now.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wow, people have already started to rip off Sket Dance. I have fanservice series. It makes us anime fans who like real girls look weird. o____o
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Again? Ah come on, another HxH. Blah, it's these kind of things that make me drop a manga. Sadly but can't someone take over her drawing, let her do the storytelling
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top