Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Wow...One Piece 53's performance is sick. If 54's gonna try to top that one we might reach the 2 mio. line.
Toriko is IMO doing quite fine - sales wise. (I'm really surprised about this week's ToC position, especially with Coco's return.)

AKABOSHI really looks nice. Every time I see one pic more of it I'm getting more interested...I hope it's not just the art but has some nice story to it.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Akaboshi's art looks... Far better than I initially expected. Didn't think I'd pay it much mind at all until I saw the color spread.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Medaka Box 1 really impressed me. I'm looking forward to chapter 2. Nothing against Akaboshi but shonen action makes me a little skittish lately. It's a genre I feel like I've reached my limit with, at least for now. I'll read it anyway. It's always a shame not to give a new series a chance. Trying a chapter doesn't require much commitment.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

What about beautiful art? Yeah, I can't wait for Akaboshi.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Nothing against Akaboshi but shonen action makes me a little skittish lately. It's a genre I feel like I've reached my limit with, at least for now. I'll read it anyway. It's always a shame not to give a new series a chance. Trying a chapter doesn't require much commitment.
From the look of the art, as well as the novel it's supposed to be based upon, I'd say it falls more of a Mystic/Fantasy action as oppose to straight up action.

Think along the lines of Houshin Engi. ;)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

but not as good as hoshin engi by any means. cause that's ridiculously hard.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

but not as good as hoshin engi by any means. cause that's ridiculously hard.
Come on, don't be so pessimistic! :)
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I dunno...Hoshin Engi was pretty amazing. I still think Hoshin Engi is one of the hardest Jump series to follow what's going on. Well, maybe that's just cuz I read the Viz releases. XD
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

LOL, quite amazed about how people were suspicious about akaboshi's art and thus surprised in a positive way...

If I don't fear one thing with the mangaka, then it's the art. Over time had good art, so I expected this one to have a similar art. The only thing I fear:
1. the story (will it attract the people)
2. iirc it's an adaptation of a game, no? (if not ignore the rest) but making a comic of a game. Always dangerous if you ask me
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Nope, it has nothing to do with any game, since no such game exists.
From its title, it's supposedly based on a Chinese novel, Suikoden (or Shuihu Zhuan in Chinese pinyin).

Which is why I kept bringing up Houshin Engi, another series based on a Chinese novel ;)

I mentioned the art not because of its quality, but rather what's in it, indicating a mystic/fantasy theme (the outfit and various other little things).
 
Last edited:

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

^^ if akaboshi follows the same general plot it should be amazing
bring on the outlaws of the marsh
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

i think she means it will be based on the book, as the game is
the game isn't a direct telling of the book, just the general gist of it in its own world, not china
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

What are you talking about? There is a game for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suikoden
Yes that was it. That's the link that was posted or at least the game mentioned some weeks or months (when the title/news spread out).

Anyway, iirc blue dragon was a game too. It isn't easy to make a manga of a game imo, or am I wrong? and have there been successes before?


i think she means it will be based on the book, as the game is
the game isn't a direct telling of the book, just the general gist of it
That's another possibility of course :)
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

That game's Japanese name is called "Gensou Suikoden", or Fantasy Suikoden.

Akaboshi's sub-title is "Ibun Suikoden", or The Strange Tales of Suikoden.

Doesn't match, meaning not related.

It's like there are a bunch of manga with the name "Sangoku" in there, but it doesn't mean all of them are adaptations of various Sangoku franchise.




^^ if akaboshi follows the same general plot it should be amazing
bring on the outlaws of the marsh
The thing I want to know the most is whether it'll be following just one of the main character, or skips around like it was in the novel ;)

Also, 108 + 20 or so named characters in the novel... would the manga series live long enough for us to see all of them? :p

We managed to see quite the majority of important characters in Houshin Engi that was in the novel, and I'm hoping for the same with this :D:D
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone know the title of Suikoden (the novel) in Chinese? It wouldn't be the Fengshen Yanyi?
 

Hayashida

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 6, 2008
Messages
214
Reaction score
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Also, 108 + 20 or so named characters in the novel... would the manga series live long enough for us to see all of them? :p
lol yeah ive worried about that. not too phased though, im still shocked its getting adapted, and i think ill be happy however they do it, aslong it generally sticks to the plot and doesnt cut characters left and right

edit; ^^ Shuǐhǔ Zhuàn i believe. water margin in english

edit2; found this on ebay lol Jeane
they make scandalous figures for everything, don't they?
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Fengshen Yanyi = Houshin Engi in Chinese Pinyin :)
I got thrown a little by all the Hoshin comparisons. Thanks!

Akobashi intrigues me a little bit more after reading about the novel. Assuming this mangaka can write, this could be a good series.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Well... we still don't know the degree it will be adapting the novel.

It could be to the level of DBZ and Xi You Ji (Journal to the West), where nothing other than the name of protagonist and certain characters are related.

Houshin Engi, where the basic characters as well as mystic elements are all borrowed from the novel.

Or have the protagonist dropping in from another dimension into the world of the story (like, erm, a bunch of other series :p)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top