Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Yay list topic.

Personal top 5:
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter
Beelzebub
Nurarihyon no Mago
Gintama

I'm vaguely recalling this happening at least once or twice before with other series', but nothing specific is coming to mind.

Edit: Galactic Slowahawk
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

My personal top 5:

None

The reason is I think currently Jump has a strongest line-up ever ( in my opinion). I enjoy every series in Jump right now, even Hoopmen is actually getting better lightly. Therefore, it is difficult for me to choose five series.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

My personal top 5:

None

The reason is I think currently Jump has a strongest line-up ever ( in my opinion). I enjoy every series in Jump right now, even Hoopmen is actually getting better lightly. Therefore, it is difficult for me to choose five series.
Awww... comeon... as much as I agree with you on this statement, you gotta have some special favorites that you'd really love to see in the top 5! :D:D

Regarding Hoop, I personally think other than the first 3~4 chapters, everything after that came along nicely, and enjoyable to read. The only beef I had with the first few chapters is that the rhythm felt kinda wierd...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Regarding Hoop, I personally think other than the first 3~4 chapters, everything after that came along nicely, and enjoyable to read. The only beef I had with the first few chapters is that the rhythm felt kinda wierd...
It's hard to get into a series you know will end >.< Weather at 20 or 30 chapters it's been pretty clear. Not to pass judgment on Hoop, I just don't need to get attached to another canceled series. Dogashi and DA were enough.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It's hard to get into a series you know will end >.< Weather at 20 or 30 chapters it's been pretty clear. Not to pass judgment on Hoop, I just don't need to get attached to another canceled series. Dogashi and DA were enough.
After a while, you'd be numb and wouldn't feel the pain anymore :p
Speaking of Dogashi, the impression that Hoop gives me is the complete opposite of Dogashi. Dogashi had a good and fun beginning, but then became "WTF is this". Hoop, on the other hand, went from "Erm... I don't get it..." to "LOL! This is fun!" :D:D
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

In change of the subject, is Hetappi Manga Kenkyuujo R is popular? And is it will get a tankouban release or not?
 

Elyon A. Luna

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
232
Reaction score
13
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Colombia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Between Mago and Bakuman, if one of the two series was risking cancellation, I'd pick Bakuman. Sure is good to read, but OxO could very well come back with a different story we may enjoy, whilst I don't want Mago's story to get cut in half.

Hmm, wondering.... ¿Has some series aside from Shaman King gotten axed when deeply into the story?

My Top 5

One Piece
Bakuman
Mago
Naruto-Bleach (just because I don't really read anything else from Jump atm)
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

By the way, predsfan was at chapter 29 or 30 of Toriko.

Everyone who DIDN'T have Toriko on their top five list... well...
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I was wondering, why Beelzebub is not getting an another cover. When Beelzebub started to get ranked, it almost always on top 5. Toriko got their second cover on around chapter 12 or 13, why not Beelzebub?
 

DeidaraGrimmjow

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
792
Reaction score
101
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Personal top 7 (Sorry but it is impossible to choose 5)

1. Bleach
2. Naruto (Switches with Bleach Occasionally)
3. One Piece
4. Psyren
5. Reborn (Especially after the latest chapter)
6. Bakuman
7. Akaboshi

And I know I'm about to get ganged up on, but this is a question of all those who hate Bleach:
Just because you don't like it, why does it need to be cancelled? Would you really take so much joy in the pain of others?
 
Last edited:

Elyon A. Luna

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
232
Reaction score
13
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Colombia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Personal top 7 (Sorry but it is impossible to choose 5)

1. Bleach
2. Naruto (Switches with Bleach Occasionally)
3. One Piece
4. Psyren
5. Reborn (Especially after the latest chapter)
6. Bakuman
7. Akaboshi

And I know I'm about to get ganged up on, but this is a question of all those who hate Bleach:
Just because you don't like it, why does it need to be cancelled? Would you really take so much joy in the pain of others?
Bleach doesn't need to be cancelled, in fact I would hate for it to be cancelled and Kubo not being able to take his
crappy. Sorry, but he simply has lost the edge of a good storyteller
story until the end. I very much prefer to read series I'm following until the straight end. Why, Asklepios, why?!.

It will end of its own accord in the next year or 2011 probably.
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ooh, a personal... poll thingy.

I'm not really a fan of One Piece (though I've only read until volume 20-something - I'm reading it at the North American release pace), but I'd put that first simply because I recognize how good others find it to be. I don't think it's a bad story; it just doesn't do anything for me. But I don't want to alienate everyone else!

Naruto at #2, I guess. Again, far behind, but it wasn't that bad. Besides, I'm hoping this ToC will be real one day... hopefully...

D.Gray-Man at #3, because I love it.

Gintama at #4. Very good series.

And maybe... Mago to round out the bottom five.

Toriko's not up there because I've never read it. =P

This week's ToC seems to be quite normal, unlike last week's. Everything's in fairly normal positions (Bleach has been out of the top 5 before, right?). If Medaka and Akaboshi currently hold "ranked" positions (not officially ranked, but accurate to the snap polls or whatever), does it seem like they might become midrank series like... well, Sket and Psyren? Neither are being pimped like Kuroko and Beelzebub were/are, but they haven't plummeted...
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

^Medaka's real ranking starts next week.

And I know I'm about to get ganged up on, but this is a question of all those who hate Bleach:
Just because you don't like it, why does it need to be cancelled? Would you really take so much joy in the pain of others?
Not so much the pain of others but the pain of Kubo. The pain of others is just an inevitable side effect. A series that falls this hard in quality in almost all aspects does not deserve to live let alone keep its absurdly high ranking/sales.

I can't even name 5 redeeming qualities for current Bleach.

I may hate Part 2 Naruto overall but Kishimoto at least tries to tell a story with a plot. (Even if said storytelling abilities have become crap in Part 2) Kubo, I can not say the same for. /personal hatred
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

And I know I'm about to get ganged up on, but this is a question of all those who hate Bleach:
Just because you don't like it, why does it need to be cancelled? Would you really take so much joy in the pain of others?
It's not so much hate but disappointment.

As a longtime Bleach reader (I started reading Naruto regularly 6 years ago and Bleach somewhat after), I'm just very sad about the development of the series. I really loved the part up till Soul Society and liked a lot of what followed but ever since they're entered Hueco Mundo the manga is dragging like hell.

Kubo has built up a fantastic cast but he wastes it in uber-long battle arcs. The fights all have the same structure and the characters don't get any development aside from power ups. Boring.

I'd love to see more actual character interaction outside of battles. Less long battles (how long are they fighting the Espada now? 2-3 years? >.>) and more, shorter story arcs. I want to see the forgotton characters again too :/

I don't wish for Bleach to get canceled but the story lost my interest so much that I wouldn't care at this point. Which is a real shame since I do consider myself a Bleach fangirl originally but that doesn't mean that I have to like every bad development... or better... non-existent development :(
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Bleach is usually much more enjoyable (to some extend) when you read it in tank format as oppose to following it weekly.

Though I've mentioned several times already... but I actually quit reading in the middle of SS arc (the Kenpachi fight I believe) because I couldn't bear to follow it at that pace. I just followed the rest in tanks and didn't pick it up again until after they left SS :p
 

eni

MH's Socialworker ٩( ᐛ )و ♡
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Messages
14,313
Reaction score
1,730
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Bleach always was a manga that was better readable in a batch but the past two years are just extreme. It's like bubblegum >.<
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think Bleach is better read the tankoubans than weekly chapters. With match against Leaders and Espada, it is following same plot pattern, like Espada has upper hand, then Leaders use their Bankai or secret weapon to defeat Espada.

I think Kubo should end Leaders vs. Espada arc, and bring Vizards into fight against Aizen.
 

Elyon A. Luna

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
232
Reaction score
13
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Colombia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think that Bleach would have been great stuff if Kubo had managed what he had in the beginning which was very different of the standard manga, and instead of turning it into a standard fight manga, develop an interesting shinigami story.

Naruto part 1 was a good thing. Part 2 has had a serious disbalance, specially in the Akatsuki part.

Seriously, Akatsuki and Espada are the most defrauding characters I've ever seen.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Something seemed to have happened with Naruto's pace in part 2. Way too many chapters for the first three arcs, although the pacing suddenly got a lot better after Hidan & Kakuzu.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top