Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hitomi no Cateblepos was not a good series but Tanaka has done a string of very good one shots in Akamaru since. I've been looking forward to his return for a long time. Kawashita is a favorite, so happy to see her back.

Is Bleach getting color two weeks in a row? Ritual has it listed as getting in issue 31. It had already been announced that Beelzebub would.
 
Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Like I said before, Bakuman is the last series that I would worry about being canceled let alone ending this soon. I do not think it will be much longer than Death Note but I do see it breaching the 50 chapter mark at least.

As far as Mago is concerned, I'd rather take the wait and see approach rather than worrying too much about it. The current flashback in Kyoto is going to end this week's chapter or next. If it starts another arc rather than heading for an end game I'd doubt that part of the rumor being true.

As for DGM...considering how it suddenly left on an indefinite hiatus and didn't cite Hoshino's health as the main problem again I wouldn't really expect it anytime soon. I'm almost tempted to say HxH might return before DGM.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

BTW, is it true D.Gray-man has a low ToC ranking? I mean i just can't imagine a series with 14 million copy sold would have a low ranking.
iirc it wasn't a bottom dweller, but it didn't reach the top that often. Used to be right above Kochikame.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Before the last hiatus DGM tended to be somewhere in the middle. The last run were all in the bottom 5. I suspect Jump knew she would be leaving again after chapter 186 from the beginning and chapters 179 - 186 were placed by the editors, not fan polls.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

It tends to get hurt in the polls when it's on frequent hiatuses. HXH was like that too despite it being always ranked #1 in tankoubon sales in the week it came out.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I really don't get why there are even rumor about Mago is in danger of cancelation. In stroy wise, Mago just introduces new enemy, and possibly the setting will move to present day Kyoto to defeat their new enemy. Then, why people even make this kind of horrible rumor.

If rumor is true, is that means Jump has 100 percent confidence that the new series going to be more successful than Mago?

Also, does Jump has a series that replaced Mx0's popularity or not?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

If Jump plans on canceling Mago it means they have complete confidence that Mago will not be a hit. As Mago is already a minor hit the editors will probably take the stance that ending it after less then two years would be bad business.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

There is also the perspective of a series' potential. I recall having seen a TOC from when Bleach was in its early days and it polled horribly. It was second to last or something like that. And look where it is now.

I believe the editors must see, based on their experience, which series have the most potential and which don't. That might explain why Psyren has been surviving for so long despite never leaving the bottom five for more than a short while. It may not be doing great right now, but it could become a new Naruto or Bleach at any moment. Don't ask me how, but it has happened before, so the chance actually exists.

I've already made it pretty clear in this thread that I don't like Mago, but leaving my feelings aside, even if I loved it, I wouldn't say I see in it the same potential as in something like Psyren or Akaboshi. Mago just won't be any more successful than it already is (not that it isn't successful enough, but I think you get my point) and to me that, along with its less than satisfactory TOC rankings, would explain it eventually getting cancelled.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

From a business point of view, based on Jump's history, you have to assume a new series won't sell as well as Mago. Most don't. If there is a series that has not polled well/sold well after a certain period of time, there's no harm in replacing it. If the new series bombs it to can be canceled at little loss. But a series like Mago, while modestly popular by Jump standards, is still a best seller in the context of the industry as a whole. In comparison, Mago almost doubles the sales of the nearly two year old Sket Dance. It more then doubles the sales of Psyren. I doubt either will end soon either.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

However, Neuro and Muhyo also not a big hitter, actually I think Mago sells more volumes than both Neuro and Muhyo. But, the editor lets Neuro and Muhyo live for about 3 years, despite of being a minor hit.

Is this means that Neuro and Muhyosurvived for editors' love or is there any other reason.

In so far, I really can't think what the editors are thinking, they had cancelled Mx0 and Hatsukoi, but let Neuro and Muhyo survived, despite they are slightly sell less than Mx0 and Hatsukoi.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hatsukoi sold about as well as Sket Dance and was most likely planned as 4 volumes. It did not seem canceled as Kawashita began to resolve the various stories starting around chapter 20. While very unusual for a weekly shonen anthology, deliberately short series are common with shojo. Kawashita's first series was serialized in Margaret.
 

Sexy Randal 105

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
1,052
Reaction score
37
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think the problem is that Mago is almost too japanese. It would be hard to adapt it for any other audience. Thus, it is kind of gimped in popularity worldwide.

As for Bakuman, I honestly could see it taking a plot twist to spice things up and maybe even have Trap get canceled. This would show the harsh nature of the shounen business.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I can't see Bakuman ending anytime soon, obvious point that it is. If it stays low it just ends up like love trouble and continues on.

.... leaving Sket and Psyren in trouble. AGAIN
 

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

I think the problem is that Mago is almost too japanese. It would be hard to adapt it for any other audience. Thus, it is kind of gimped in popularity worldwide.
What would it's worldwide popularity have to do with anything? They wouldn't cut a series that sells well in Japan just because they don't think it would sell as good as others worldwide would they?

I wouldn't understand a decision (at least from a business perspective) to cut Mago before Psyren and Sket if it's selling so much better than them just because it doesn't rank well in the Magazine. I doubt either would be popular enough worldwide to make up for the difference, not that I've ever really read Sket Dance (maybe like the first three chapters).

Anyway, it's another sad day in Jump history. Another series I really enjoyed get's cut so soon. That makes about 5 of them now. I will miss Hoopmen.
 

Heiji-sama

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

#33 (13/07) :
Tanaka Tasuki / Kenjin (New Serie, Couv & Page Couleur)

#34 (20/07) :
Wajima Satoshi / Wasshoi! Waji Mania (New Serie & Page Couleur) >> Perhaps Gag Manga.

Wajima Satoshi Work's :
Sasurai Kenshi Monogatari (Jump #51-2008)
Sekai Nyururun Taizai-ki (Akamaru Jump Spring 2009)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Im very excited about the new Tanaka series Kenjin it appears to be called. I kinda hope its similar in style to Hitomi but with better execution and doesnt get canceled so quickly.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

The name of Tanaka's new series is actually called "Kagijin" (lit. Key-man) instead of Kenjin, and it is based on his one-shot that was in Akamaru 2009-Winter. :)

I still remember vaguely that we talked about it, and the preview ad was posted here.
 

Sloggett

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 28, 2009
Messages
32
Reaction score
4
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Is there room for another gag manga in jump? With Inumaru being so popular I would think yes.

I would also think there is room for another adventure/action series with both DGM and HXH not in the mag.
 

Tru_TO

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2009
Messages
65
Reaction score
2
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

man i got a serious question:
Will Togashi return and continue his manga weekly until he finishes it? I wanna see the ending to this manga, will it happen? Since theres 3 new manga in Jump now, fuck i'm pissed with Togashi i wanna see HxH end, what u think will it come back?
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ahhh... Wingman... now that's something I haven't heard in a long time...

I personally think Wingman is much more strict Sci-Fi Adventure instead of Katsura's later romance series. So when comparing, I didn't even think about Wingman :p

Speaking of Wingman... so much has changed to Katsura-sensei's works ;)
Wingman appears more like a hybrid: it takes his love of sentai/masked heroes and combines it with action, sci-fi and, obviously, romance. I think though he seemed to move more towards romance a bit later with Video Girl Ai & I''s...but from what I've heard of Zetman, it's more him returning to his sentai/masked heroes roots with a darker theme akin to Kikaider. (the recent anime series at least) But to tell the truth I'm not the best Katsura expert since...well, Wingman is the only one of his works I've been reading. (I''s doesn't interest me though...)

As for the person commenting about gag manga: they'll always have a place in shonen, even more so than sports series. (which we've talked quite a bit about as of late due to ES21 ending, Hoopman bombing and Dogashi collapsing)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top