Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I agree with akainu, a movie couldn't jusitfy this row of CP. It is extremely abnormal and I am even wondering if information of 4 issues can justify this. So there's different possibilities:
- a movie? well it is a first movie but is the anime and manga as popular as bleach, naruto and one piece to have an own movie? Well the anime is still ongoing, I won't say: surely no. You never know that those CP might be CP of some movie shots, char designs, etc
- the end? Highly unlikely. If WSJ would get this into its head then I am going to dig my grave, lie in a coffin and come out ten years later

My guess: I think it will be storylike. I have always believed that to win against the millefiore, the vongola should change to their future selves (with some technology, don't forget Irie preserved their bodies). So I wouldn't be surprised if the mangaka will decide for an indefinite goodbye to the younger vongola. Maybe, Reborn will enter a new stage. A new stage doesn't necessarily come with an arc's end. It would be refreshing to switch the younger with the older ones. Some cool CP to promote all this sudden change

So whereas gaiden introduced a new stage in naruto. These row of CP might introduce a new stage in reborn (maybe mukuro's appearance was a prelude of this)
 
Last edited:

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

A movie is not impossible, there are manga outside Jump who sold less than Reborn and got a movie such as Inu Yasha. Any magazine would want to have a hit like Reborn and turn it into a movie. Reborn may not be as popular as Bleach, OP, Hunter or Naruto, but if you look outside Jump, there are few shonen manga outside Jump that outsold it. It sold arround 500-600k, an amazing sale by any standard.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Oh come on, not even a movie could justify four consecutive weeks of colourpages :blink that's extremly abnormal imo (not even Naruto, One Piece or the likes got that once, right?) IF it'll happen at all ...
Not so sure justify is the word I'd use. I've been wondering what reason the editors could find to give one series color pages in every issue for a month after a "big announcement" of some sort. An upcoming movie is the only announcement I can think of that I can back up with an empirical, or at the least educated, guess. Even the end of the Future arc hardly seems worthy of four color pages. I feel like the only thing big enough to justify it is if they are planning to move it to SQ in December or January. While not far fetched, plenty of popular manga have switched magazines, there's no way for me to argue it is anything other than a wild guess, probably an incorrect one. Most likely something more mundane will be announced; end of the arc, movie, major plot development, or the editors just like Akira - sensei.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Maybe it's not just one announcement but many. As in there might be a movie plus something else.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

If Reborn moves to another magazine it's going to save another botom series LOL if this happens it will be asecond time in two months.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

There isn't lots of reviews from Hokenshitsu and no reviews what so ever from Lilienthal. Even there aren't any translation/Edited Manga of Hokenshitsu and Lilienthal. I know it is too early to judge both new series, but I want to know how people think about them.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Without a script I have no opinion. I'd like to read both, particularly Rilienthal.
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm really diggin' Lilienthal [sorry, it's a name in my mother tongue and I just don't have the heart to write "Rilienthal" even though the author romanized it that way...it's f'ugly lol]...it's pretty funny, quite wacky and the art style is very refreshing (well, mainly the dog's design that is).

If it weren't for several weeks old TLs I'm lagging behind and still didn't find the time to tackle, it'd be a candidate to translate...but right now I can't afford it.


As for Hokenshitsu, the OS wasn't really my cup of tea, so I didn't check it out yet...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Now I really want to read it :( **wishes he could read Japanese**

If anyone can TL let me know, I'd love to scanlate it!
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm really diggin' Lilienthal [sorry, it's a name in my mother tongue and I just don't have the heart to write "Rilienthal" even though the author romanized it that way...it's f'ugly lol]...it's pretty funny, quite wacky and the art style is very refreshing (well, mainly the dog's design that is).

If it weren't for several weeks old TLs I'm lagging behind and still didn't find the time to tackle, it'd be a candidate to translate...but right now I can't afford it.


As for Hokenshitsu, the OS wasn't really my cup of tea, so I didn't check it out yet...
You should try Hokenshitsu. It is way better than one shot.

And I agree with you about Lilienthal, it is pretty funny.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Both of them seem pretty good.

Hoping at least one succeeds.
 

RomanDogBird

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 31, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Official translations of the first chapters of both Hokenshitsu and Rilenthal are available through Shonen Jump's website. You have to download a "manga browser" to view them, though it's nothing too complicated. I don't know how long they were up (I only just discovered the site last month), but the first chapters of Ane-Doki, Kagijin, and Wajimania were all up as well for awhile (I guess they were added shortly after they each officially debuted in Jump).

http://shonenjump.com/e/mangaonline/index.html
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Official translations of the first chapters of both Hokenshitsu and Rilenthal are available through Shonen Jump's website. You have to download a "manga browser" to view them, though it's nothing too complicated. I don't know how long they were up (I only just discovered the site last month), but the first chapters of Ane-Doki, Kagijin, and Wajimania were all up as well for awhile (I guess they were added shortly after they each officially debuted in Jump).

http://shonenjump.com/e/mangaonline/index.html
You're right...how silly of us to not realize this, thanks. I'm gonna go readin'
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Completely forgot they do that :facepalm
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I liked Lilienthal, not for comedy or gag, but just for the story and characters (weird right?) it was pretty amusing.

Hokenshitsu is not bad. It's been doing pretty good with introducig characters, and new characters have been pretty likeableb or interesting at least. But not sure how it will compete with others. It needs something more solid in my opinion, but it is off with a good start I think.

Wow... Is Jump gonna be the one Editing this series?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

At least for a few chapters. They've been posting translated versions of new series for a while now, on a rotating basis. I'm not sure how many chapters they will do but it won't be the whole series.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

For people who are interested:

56歳  秋本治(こち亀)
46歳  大場つぐみ(ガモウ)
43歳  冨樫義博(ハンタ)
40歳  小畑健(バクマン)
36歳  天野明(リボーン)
35歳  篠原健太(スケットダンス) 
35歳  うすた京介(ジャガー)
34歳  岸本斉史(ナルト)
34歳  尾田栄一郎(ワンピ)
34歳  島袋光年(トリコ)
32歳  久保帯人(ブリーチ)
32歳  暁月あきら(めだかボックス)
31歳  岩代俊明(サイレン)
30歳  空知英秋(銀魂)
29歳  田村隆平(べるぜバブ)
29歳  椎橋寛(ぬらりひょんの孫)
28歳  葦原大介(リリエンタール)
28歳  天野洋一(AKABOSHI)
27歳  藤巻忠俊(黒子のバスケ)
27歳  大石浩二(いぬまるだし)
26歳  田中靖規(鍵人)
23歳  わじまさとし(わじマニア)
21歳  藍本松(保健室の死神)
Akimoto Osamu (KochiKame) 56 years old
Ohba Tsugumi (Bakuman) 46 years old (if he is Gamou Hiroshi)
Kawashita Mizuki (Ane Dokii) 44 years old
Togashi Yoshihiro (HunterxHunter) 43 years old
Obata Takeshi (Bakuman) 40 years old
Amano Akira (Reborn!) 36 years old
Shinohara Kenta (Sket Dance) 35 years old
Usuta Kyousuke (Jaguar) 35 years old
Kishimoto Masashi (Naruto) 34 years old
Oda Eiichiro (One Piece) 34 years old
Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi (Toriko) 34 years old
Kubo Tite (Bleach) 32 years old
Akatsuki Akira (Medaka Box) 32 years old
Iwashiro Toshiaki (Psyren) 31 years old
Sorachi Hideaki (Gintama) 30 years old
Tamura Ryuuhei (Beelzebub) 29 years old
Shiibashi Hiroshi (Nuraruhyon no Mago) 29 years old
Ashihara Daisuke (Lilienthal) 28 years old
Amano Youichi (Akaboshi) 28 years old
Nisio Isin (Medaka Box) 28 or 27 years old
Fujimaki Tadatoshi (Kuroko no Basket) 27 years old
Ooishi Kouji (Inumaru Dashi) 27 years old
Tanaka Yasuki (Kagijin) 26 years old
Wajima Satoshi (Wajimania) 23 years old
Aimoto Shou (Hokenshitsu) 21 years old
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The Death Note and Bakuman pair are a lot older than I thought.
I expected the artist to be in his 30s along with the mangakas of Big 3...

Oda is still pretty young :p
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Funny sket's author is older than Sorachi I spected him to be younger since assistants usually are younger than their "bosses". What did he felt while working with a younger serialised artist. This reminds me of Nakai from Bakuman.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

What the, some of the big hit authors are pretty young, wow. Except for Togashi, what the hell is he doing playing dragon quest at 43 years old.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top