Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Chapter 1 of Rilienthal has been released and to be honest, I understand why it debuted in the bottom 5 (sorry [Cross]). The elements for a good series are in place, chapter 2 could be a huge improvement, but chapter 1 was a little to silly.
lol sorry for what >.> I didn't write it.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

This random 2ch blog source says HXH will restart in January...
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/alc_info/e/2b27aaf6c0591aff8bdcb7c377243ef1

So, probably not true.
Or could be, hell if I know...

It says "there is a high chance" it will resume in January, now that it's been a year after reserialization. And he said his friend works at a printing company who says they're printing the new volume for January. And the cover picture isn't decided yet.

It also says around that time Kagijin or Rilienthal will probably end to give it its spot...

He says "It's your choice to believe it or not".
 
Last edited:

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

This random 2ch blog source says HXH will restart in January...
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/alc_info/e/2b27aaf6c...bdcb7c377243ef1

So, probably not true.
Or could be, hell if I know...

It says "there is a high chance" it will resume in January, now that it's been a year after reserialization. And he said his friend works at a printing company who says they're printing the new volume for January. And the cover picture isn't decided yet.

It also says around that time Kagijin or Rilienthal will probably end to give it its spot...

He says "It's your choice to believe it or not".
Assuming it's true, I think the more alarming part would be that Kagjin might survive even longer.
 

y A M A T O

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
220
Reaction score
67
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

oh oh, just a moment...
is that the Toc or the preview? i mean, Bakuman 3rd????? and Psyren so high?
i could faint right now.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

According to the end of the chapter preview thing, Toriko will be absent next week. "So the author can collect data".
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It seems like one series is absent on every week.
 

Rainier

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2007
Messages
467
Reaction score
52
Gender
Male
Country
Dominican Republic
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I've been wondering... do the mangakas actually 'collect data''? or is that an excuse?

It's time for Ohba and Obata to clarify us that... D:
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I've been wondering... do the mangakas actually 'collect data''? or is that an excuse?

It's time for Ohba and Obata to clarify us that... D:
:D that would be so much fun :darn
I think I know one thing for sure; when Togashi does it, he is just having a vacation.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

There isn't any news on a second series ending yet, is there?
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

No, but if another one does end it will be announced Sunday with the bottom five. I'd like to see Kagijin end just so that more poor mangaka doesn't have to keep laboring on condemned series. It's not like it has a chance anymore, let it die Jump.


[Cross];1652844 said:
lol sorry for what >.> I didn't write it.
You did take the time to scanlate it ^^
 
Last edited:

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

It's a pity Jump does things like they do, most of the times the authors don't even stand a chance. Although it's nice that new series stay on coming, but it's sad to see other series go.

Although I wouldn't mind waving goodbye to Beelzebub, it always feels that author's don't get a fair chance. I don't think I ever liked a Jump series straight from the beginning, it's hard to judge a series just on it's "Introduction" arc, which is usually the arc were they already decide to cut it, then another arc gets added for volume-filling.

It's really too soon, and besides, I know it's mentioned a lot of times before, but it probably would've been better if the series just got a random order, maybe a steady place for a series. Like Jaguar being dead-last, and new serializations (just ch1-3 or so) up front and 1 in the exact middle. Things would turn out really different..
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Beelzebub is just like Kuroko, and I think their fate would've turned out different if Shueisha itself didn't decided to give them color pages like hell.

It isn't a burden to me, but I just don't like to leave something unfinished, manga or not. So I won't quit it, but I'm just not feeling the manga. Well, currently I'm not feeling any running Jump manga. But I had this with Beelzebub right from the start.

I'm still not up-to-date with HxH, I'm not planning on being so in the near future either. But I find it funny people get their hopes up by some baseless rumor. I mean, haven't they learned it yet. How many times did some random rumor popped up, saying it would be back, yet it didn't.

They should know by now..
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I could care less when HxH returns. It went down hill years ago. Obviously with HxH going down hill means going from classic to good but no longer a peer of Kekkaishi and Full Metal Alchemist.

I enjoyed Beelze. A quirky series that is just different enough from the Jump norm of the last few years, interesting characters, interesting art, nice sense of humor. Which reminds me, Muwlove mentioned this and I found it quite interesting: Iwashiro has quietly developed three assistants into mangaka. Tamura (Beelzebub), the mangaka of Neko Wappa! and the mangaka of Metallica all worked for him. Metallica isn't serialized yet but as the Golden Cup winner it is guaranteed a spot.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Well, HxH got unintresting for me around chapter 60 or so, the art was one thing that made me care less about it.

I enjoy Beelzebub too, if I read it, but as soon as the chapter is finished, I'm back to my old thought, which is "Why isn't it cancelled yet?". The manga is an enjoyable read, I can't deny that, I love it's art, I love these "casual" styles, just like Psyren and such. For the rest the manga's pretty much been done already.

I knew Beelzebub's mangaka was an assistant of Iwashiro, didn't know that about Neko Wappa! and Metallica though. He must be proud. :p

It's liek Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin) only in an earlier phase I guess. Watsuki had Oda, Takei and Suzuki. All three had popular long-running series. One Piece, Shaman King and Mr. Fullswing.

But well, we all know Jump is like one big family, according to last week's graph which got posted here. Is it translated yet btw? I'm curious for relations which are unknown to me yet. :p
 
Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

In all honesty, I think Beelzebub could have survived even if it didn't get pumped full of color. I think that is where it and Kuroko differ. Beelzebub rarely hits the bottom 5 at all. Kuroko on the other hand seems to plummet every few weeks and Jump decides to give it CPR when it does.

I was going to mention how Tamura reminded me of the Watsuki bit but Xadyu beat me to it. =/

Watsuki was actually inspired by Obata and was his assistant at one point if I'm not mistaken.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Yeah, Watsuki was an assistant of Obata, just like how Murata (E21) and Yabuki of Black Cat were.

I'm not sure whether Murata and Yabuki had successful assistants though.
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I guess Obata could be thought of as the father of modern Jump, between his assistants and their assistants. Maybe Iwashiro will be the father of the next generation of Jump. While we're on the subject Shimabukuro was not a Watsuki assistant as far as I know, but is close friends with those three. Anzai (Flame of Recca, MAR, Mixim) is one of Watsuki's buddies.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

As far as I recall, Beelzebub was showing signs of popularity even before it started getting so many colors.

Color pages can help move a series along, but we've seen plenty of times that they won't save something if the readers just plain don't like it.
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Beelzebub, I didn't read first dozen or so chap, so I'm not too sure about the beginning, but I liked the latest chaps (although the pace was awfully slow in last 3 or 4 chap) its not a series I would cry if it get canceled, but something that I wouldn't mind surviving on.

the latest chap of Kagijin made me feel like it was preparing to end.. so I'm guessing Kagijin is the one getting axed. Medaka's chapter seemed like it was going to go on longer.
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Kagijin is actually giving me the vibe to continue, the same Akaboshi did at it's end. But then again, the same is going for Medaka Box.

I'm not to sure about the sales of either Kagijin or Medaka Box, but Medaka's been doing a lot better in the ToC's, so it's almost a 100% sure that Kagijin will be cancelled.

Medaka can live on for another 20/30 chapters for all I care, it's still entertaining. Although it went from a nice school-life manga to an OVER 9000!!!!! manga. Which, was pretty much a wrong move if you ask me.

But hell, Bleach and Reborn! also became battle manga's after awhile, so why not, huh.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top