Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The CP line didn't show originally because there was something wrong with my FireFox's text coding... had to retype it for it to show up for some reason...
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Wajima (The End)
See, I told you. :p

Also, the editors FINALLY let Kuroko stay where it belongs for more than a single week. Here's hoping it stays there for a long time.
 

[Cross]

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2008
Messages
717
Reaction score
320
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

So long fairwell Wajima, Medaka plummeted, rather amusing, but it is safe for the time being. Rilienthal is my good news of the day, though we won't know for sure until we see its actual rank.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The 1-shot's author is Sugita Naoya, the author of Zan... I've updated the post to reflect that (I didn't make the connection until just now :scry)
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Wajima is over...well some how it really should have been more shown to be crap sooner than how it has.

And don't get so comfy for a lower Kuroko: it's almost at a year...
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I hope Kuroko gets another color page just to piss off the people who keep throwing a fit every time it gets color pages. :p

Also, because it's a great series and I like seeing Jump reward series that are great.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I hope Kuroko gets another color page just to piss off the people who keep throwing a fit every time it gets color pages. :p

Also, because it's a great series and I like seeing Jump reward series that are great.
Yeah, it's a great series. Look at how well it polls. :eyeroll
 

Digital_Eon

Proofreader
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
1,140
Reaction score
70
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Haha, I guess we were all right about Waji being doomed after all. Very happy to know that.

So will there be no new series starting in the first editions of the new year (...in December)? That'd be a bit of a surprise. I guess it's not too late to cut something else, but... since two new series just started...
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

StrangerAtaru said:
Wajima is over...well some how it really should have been more shown to be crap sooner than how it has.

And don't get so comfy for a lower Kuroko: it's almost at a year...
If only it would be like a few other series and die after a year but Jump favors it too much. I think it could remain lower. Just because it reaches a year that doesn't automatically mean it will rise. People apparently aren't liking its recent chapters all that much.

Haha, I guess we were all right about Waji being doomed after all. Very happy to know that.

So will there be no new series starting in the first editions of the new year (...in December)? That'd be a bit of a surprise. I guess it's not too late to cut something else, but... since two new series just started...
Makes me laugh at that one arrogant line it had when it started. If something else comes along I'd imagine it would be another gag that replaces Wajimania.

It looks to me like they started earlier this year with the new series. So the next round of series may start earlier for 2010 as well. I doubt they would seriously wait even longer to start the next round.

I hope Kuroko gets another color page just to piss off the people who keep throwing a fit every time it gets color pages. :p

Also, because it's a great series and I like seeing Jump reward series that are great.
It is more like keeping a weak series on life support. A shame other series weren't blessed with the blatant favoritism Kuroko has gotten since its debut.
 
Last edited:

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm looking forward to the new work of Sugita Naoya, I really liked Zan. I felt bad it was cancelled back then.

Sad to see another series go though. Besides it's first color pages I haven't seen or heard anything about Wasshoi! Wajimania, but still..

Edited Mangas will probably never come now, will they? ;-;
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Yeah, it's a great series. Look at how well it polls. :eyeroll
So, by this logic American Idol is one of the best TV shows of all time, and Firefly was garbage...

Popularity and quality don't always equate to one another.
 

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

So, by this logic American Idol is one of the best TV shows of all time, and Firefly was garbage...

Popularity and quality don't always equate to one another.
But in Kuroko's case, its ToC placements reflect the quality very well.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Wait, last I checked Kuroko was not in every bottom five. If other series were held to the same standards Psyren, Sket Dance and Mago would have been canceled long ago, nothing that falls into the bottom five would ever deserve color except for series everyone (except me apparantly :/) likes that were almost always in the bottom five. Almost every series takes a turn in the bottom five, if everyone of them were penalized the only series that would deserve color would be Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, and Mago. Even Reborn and Gintama have been near the bottom in the last six months. I don't think everyone is annoyed that Kuroko gets color; I think they are annoyed that they don't like Kuroko and it is still thriving. I'm not a fan but I will be honest: except for Hoopmen it is a hell of a lot better than any of the 2009 series that were already canceled. As Ataru said: it's one year anniversary is about a month away. Kuroko is a part of the magazine, get used to it.

As for Waji: don't care, didn't read it. Wouldn't have cared if it had stayed either. Don't care about more new Jump series either. The only new series I care about is Yuki Urushibara's comeback later this month. (google her if you don't know who she is, she wrote one of the greatest manga of all time).
 
Last edited:

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Kuroko colors
Issue 2-Debut
Issue 3-2nd chapter
Issue 12
Issue 14
Issue 18-Bottom 5 week before
Issue 24
Issue 26-Bottom 6 week before
Issue 37-38-Bottom 5 week before
Issue 44-Bottom 5 week before
Issue 47-Bottom 5 week before
Issue 50-Bottom 5 week before

The complaints aren't unjustified. What other series has gotten the majority of their color pages after ranking poorly? Imagine if something like Double Arts got this blatant level of favoritism. It would still be alive too. Only 2-3 of those colors(issues 12, 14, and maybe 24) could really be deserved. The former 2 before it began tanking.

Also Kuroko was in the bottom 5 consecutively for at least a month before yet Jump still saved it. It IS annoying when something like that happens while other series are left to fight on their own.

As for the new series, I don't plan on reading anymore of WSJ's cannon fodder for the time being. Maybe if something manages to establish itself I'll give it a try.
 
Last edited:

wingman32x

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Yay! Ane doki rebounded after the terrible week it had last week. I knew it was going to happen, but it's still good to have it confirmed. Medaka took a dive this week. Idk about this one, with the other series gone nothing is preventing it from bottom dwelling. I don't want it to bottom dwell, but something tells me that is what's going to happen.
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Akaboshi taking down bad manga with it left and right.

Also glad to see Rilienthal may not be a lost cause.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The 2nd chapter wasn't all that great either so no surprise it ranked poorly last week. If Rilienthal does better with the 3rd chapter(This week's ranking) onwards it might have a shot. I don't know if Hokenshitsu is doing the opposite of Rilienthal or not but time will tell I guess.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I'm kind of surprise Rilienthal increased this week because chapter 1~5 was not very much interesting, it started to get my attention in chapter 6 (beginning of ghost ship story).
 

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Yeah, it's a great series. Look at how well it polls. :eyeroll
I think it's a great series too. Well, it's still mediocre to where the scans are, but it's definitely not bad. The ToC doesn't mean shit, it's just how the certain Japanese people think who actually vote.

I don't disagree with the ToC almost everytime, I'm sure that goes for a lot of people. I'm not saying Kuroko is a top 5 series, because that isn't so (imo), WSJ has better series to offer at the moment.

Wajima is over...well some how it really should have been more shown to be crap sooner than how it has.

And don't get so comfy for a lower Kuroko: it's almost at a year...
Quality and Popularity don't mean the same things, especially not in Jump.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

When I said that about Kuroko, people, what I meant to say that a year = automatic color page. It has nothing to do with ranking or how good or bad it is, just that it's getting an automatic color page owed for it since it started at the time it did. It's not like it's getting a cover: Jump did away with that back in '08 for the most part.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top