Mag Talk Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I tried searching the thread a bit about rankings, but they seemed to be posts several years old, and inconclusive.

Has anyone figured out if there is rhyme or reason to ranking the series in Young Jump? I would assume it used a similar system to Shounen Jump, but people seemed unconvinced. Although it does seem the titles change positions in the ToC for every week -- so is that indeed the "ranking" then?

Was trying to get a feel for the reception of Boku Girl, and the rather low rankings in the ToC after the color pages ended has me apprehensive. Although I imagine with them advertising for an assistant for the author on the YJ site, it's not in danger for the forseeable future. It has a large following overseas, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything with the Japanese reception of it, of course.

Also, how long does it normally take for a release date for the first volume of new series? He's had enough total page-count for a tankoubon for about 5 weeks now.
Seems to use a very similar ranking system to WSJ.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Has anyone figured out if there is rhyme or reason to ranking the series in Young Jump? I would assume it used a similar system to Shounen Jump, but people seemed unconvinced. Although it does seem the titles change positions in the ToC for every week -- so is that indeed the "ranking" then?
Well, if you ask the reason for the ToC system in Young Jump, then you should also ask the reason for ToC system in Shounen Jump as well. As far as I followed, I think it has same ranking system as Shounen Jump.

Also, how long does it normally take for a release date for the first volume of new series? He's had enough total page-count for a tankoubon for about 5 weeks now.
I guess it take about five months since Kakuriyo Mongatari, Mongrel, and Gunjou Senki have taken about five months in order to release their first volume.
 

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Btw, how far into the story is All You Need is Kill now? (if you read the novel)
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Btw, how far into the story is All You Need is Kill now? (if you read the novel)
Next chapter will explain the Mimics origin (I think - only saw 2-3 pages of the chapter for now) so after that will be "Rita's" part (the narration uses her point of view) then, one important moment in the series then final battle probably. I'd say it's at around 75% into the novel.

I might be wrong but I'd say around 6 chapters left in the series. This way it'll have 2 volumes.
 
Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I only thought that the ranking system in WSJ is exclusive to it? I do not think other magazines cancel series based on ToC, it's just something they have, and I assume that sometimes most of the "rankings" are not even the series ranked, but just the table of contents as it is for the magazine.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I only thought that the ranking system in WSJ is exclusive to it? I do not think other magazines cancel series based on ToC, it's just something they have, and I assume that sometimes most of the "rankings" are not even the series ranked, but just the table of contents as it is for the magazine.
I think one could make a correlation here for young jump that the series continually placed closer to the back and lower and only getting CP for when a volume releases, have low rank and end up cancelled (Shirayukihime to 7-nin no Shuujin for example, 4vol).
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think one could make a correlation here for young jump that the series continually placed closer to the back and lower and only getting CP for when a volume releases, have low rank and end up cancelled (Shirayukihime to 7-nin no Shuujin for example, 4vol).
I do not it is a practice in the magazine^^ Of course such isolated cases do exist. Some magazines may want to even push low ranked ones as CP so they cna promote them. WSJ and even YJ does this at the beginning, but with new ones.^
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I think one could make a correlation here for young jump that the series continually placed closer to the back and lower and only getting CP for when a volume releases, have low rank and end up cancelled (Shirayukihime to 7-nin no Shuujin for example, 4vol).
too bad i loved the series and certainly thought it was done great.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I do not it is a practice in the magazine^^ Of course such isolated cases do exist. Some magazines may want to even push low ranked ones as CP so they cna promote them. WSJ and even YJ does this at the beginning, but with new ones.^
Im confused on what youre saying? I thought you said you were unsure of if this magazine participated in a ranking system but then now you say that it definitely doesnt use it but then agree with me in saying that the series in this magazine get CP for volume releases to promote the volume sales and thats it?

I guess what is missing here is a YJ series that isnt placed in the back that ended prematurely.

I dont think anyone in the thread was saying that all magazines do as there are examples where they clearly dont (kodansha weeklies).
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Im confused on what youre saying? I thought you said you were unsure of if this magazine participated in a ranking system but then now you say that it definitely doesnt use it but then agree with me in saying that the series in this magazine get CP for volume releases to promote the volume sales and thats it?

I guess what is missing here is a YJ series that isnt placed in the back that ended prematurely.

I dont think anyone in the thread was saying that all magazines do as there are examples where they clearly dont (kodansha weeklies).
Um, no I was saying for magazines in general, but I do not think YJ uses ranking. However the "ranking" system for most magazines is different, but I am unsure how things go down. I assume that CPs are used sometimes to promote, naturally.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Um, no I was saying for magazines in general, but I do not think YJ uses ranking. However the "ranking" system for most magazines is different, but I am unsure how things go down. I assume that CPs are used sometimes to promote, naturally.
As far as I followed the Toc, YJ does have ranking system. BUT, they only axe series that are constantly in last place and it ends with a total of 4 or 5 volumes. So, it really isn't as harsh as WSJ; that's only difference.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Issue 16:
Tokyo Ghoul (Lead CP)
Kingdom
All You Need Is Kill
Youkai Shoujo
Kamen Teacher Black
Gokukoku no Brynhildr
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Yokohama-sen Doppelgänger
Gunjou Senki
Minamoto-kun Monogatari
Usogui
Cyclops Shoujo Saipuuuu
Barcelona no Taiyou (CP)
Boku Girl
Nejimaki Kagyuu
Grand Slam
81 Diver
WxY (CP, Special Chapter)
Futastsu Boshi Gendouryoku-gaku Kenkyuujo (Special Chaper)
Samurai Soldier
Mongrel
Zetman
Innocent

Terra Formars, Kakuriyo Monogatari (Absent)

Tokyo Ghoul


Barcelona no Taiyou


WxY (Special Chapter)


Issue 17:
Lead CP: Liar Game (Resume)
CP: Samurai Soldier (End), Grand Slam, Youkai Shoujo
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Based on the preview, it looks like Oku Hiroya (author of Gantz) going to serialize some kind movie reviews in Miracle Jump as well. I wonder that means he still have connection with Young Jump.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Terraformars pv will be at animeJapan on this weekend. Hopefully the site uploads it and we arent stuck with camshot recordings.


---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 AM ----------

Terraformars Teaser PV, excellent music!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
It is announced that Terra Formars has surpassed printing 6,210,000 copies.

Also, it is confirmed that Grand Slam will be moving to Tonari no Young Jump.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Also, it is confirmed that Grand Slam will be moving to Tonari no Young Jump.
aw yessssssssssss. I was hoping this wouldn't quite be the end for Grand Slam
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
aw yessssssssssss. I was hoping this wouldn't quite be the end for Grand Slam
I believe Grand Slam just going to release its final five chapters in Tonari no Young Jump. So, I think it'll still going to end soon.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I believe Grand Slam just going to release its final five chapters in Tonari no Young Jump. So, I think it'll still going to end soon.
well at the least getting that small reprieve should give it a better ending than most weekly titles get. Hopefully.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
well at the least getting that small reprieve should give it a better ending than most weekly titles get. Hopefully.
I'm not sure. Even if it did stayed in Young Jump, it'll still going to be end by 5 chapters.

I, personally, think YJ decided to move that series because they are planning to start new series in April and they don't want to wait 5 weeks for Grand Slam to make room for the new series.
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Issue 17:

Liar Game (Lead color)
Kingdom
Terra ForMars
Tokyo Ghoul
Yokai Shojo - Monster Girl (Center color)
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Kamen Teacher BLACK
All You Need Is Kill
Gokukoku no Brynhildr
Minamoto-kun Monogatari
Barcelona no Taiyou
Cyclops Shojo Cypu~
Grand Slam (Center color, moving to Tonari no Young Jump for final five chapters)
Yokohamasen Doppelganger
Gunjo Senki
Usogui
Nejimaki Kagyu
Kakuriyo Monogatari
Mongrel
Samurai Soldier (Center color, final chapter)
Boku Girl
81Diver
Innocent
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top