Has his art gotten more streamlined in Nejimaki itself though? I've only read like the first chapter, so I've been kind of skipping over it in the new Young Jump issues to avoid spoilers. Then again, it's too hard for me to read anyway so I probably don't even need to bother... I doubt he'd want to make his art style more streamlined though, since from what I've seen it's one of the things that gets people to notice the series in the first place. Young Jump should work especially well for that, since it's got a lot of fairly unique art. Doubt that'd make him a good fit for a shounen mag if he stays like that, though.
Nah. Me saying he should be in a shounen mag is just selfishness on my part. I'd be able to translate Nejimaki faster if it had furigana after all. He really should stay in seinen mags ....or if he IS going to do shounen it shouldn't be Jump.
Nejimaki has become a little streamlined? Not too much. I think in the series Nakayama's just gotten used to drawing the characters and instinctively tries to find the quickest way to. (Which makes sense since drawing extravagant things every week for an indefinite period would probably be a nightmare.) He sort of reminds me of Matsui (Assassination Classroom.) Who seems to get more restrained the longer he stays in the biz. If you look back at Traumeister (also by Nakayama) you'll get a sense of how unhinged he can be. Then again Nejimaki is his first series that didn't get cancelled immediately, so maybe his new more restrained style is what sells?
I just think the 81 diver fanart just looks more polished because those aren't his characters. Unfamiliar territory and whatnot. That doesn't mean it isn't awesome, and I wouldn't mind if he was put in charge of the art for it. (Then again his art is why I love his series.)
You should read the scantlations though, they just got to the first major arc.