Mag Talk Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Futaribocchi no Otasaa no Hime will finally have it's first volume published on January 19:

Still waiting on translations of this, it's Coolkyou, for crying out loud. xD
 
Last edited:

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

YJ 4•5 : there aren't any series on break this week. (unusual)

GK S3 ended today, no announcement of a season 4.
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
What are the estimates on its sales to day for the first 2 volumes?
Here's my list of estimated sales of every WYJ series that had it's first volume release this year.
Please keep in mind that backlogs for certain series from another magazine Shueisha also owns have reached unprecedented heights, and as a result, may skew the estimates upwards as the rankings get higher. This is in addition to Shoseki already tending to estimate higher than they sold. Also, these estimates are based of my calculations - someone else may have different numbers.

 
Last edited:

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---


YJ 6 • 7
LCP (new series) : Shin Gunjou Senki.
C: "Seinen Shoujo yo, Haru wo Musabore", Futaribocchi no Otasaa no Hime.
--- Double Post Merged, ---


a second live-action movie or something more important...?
--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

 

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
"Shin Gunjou Senki" chapter 1 will have 74 pages.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Pretty surprised to see Boy's Abyss getting reprints considering how little it always seemed to sell on Shoseki weekly charts. Either they truly printed very little copies initially, or maybe it has been consistently selling a steady stream of little bits of each volume along the way. Either way, Chako best girl lol
 

Blue16

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
5,974
Age
28
Country
Spain
new year illustration by Jun Mayuzuki (Kowloon Generic Romance)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

new year illustration by Souryuu (Kou iu no ga ii)
--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

YJ 6•7 No Chapter : " Boku, Imasu yo", Kowloon Generic Romance, Shounen no Abyss, MoMo -the blood taker-.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

that color spread of Shin Gunjou Senki is really similar to the color spread of the original series.

You can check it out on Tonari no Young Jump web.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Shadow House TV Anime will start in April 2021.
 
Last edited:

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Since nobody else I've seen here seems to be doing it, I'm gonna try and track Weekly Young Jump volumes over the year!
This spreadsheet has more of a focus on newer series than older ones, since those are more interesting, but it will also help keep track of the sales of established stuff to see if they're improving, stagnating, or declining! I need to add print counts for all of the established series, but that can come later. Hopefully the data here is as accurate as can be!
NOTE: Current State spreadsheet is based on my opinion, and not the actual state of the magazine.

 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
Since nobody else I've seen here seems to be doing it, I'm gonna try and track Weekly Young Jump volumes over the year!
This spreadsheet has more of a focus on newer series than older ones, since those are more interesting, but it will also help keep track of the sales of established stuff to see if they're improving, stagnating, or declining! I need to add print counts for all of the established series, but that can come later. Hopefully the data here is as accurate as can be!
NOTE: Current State spreadsheet is based on my opinion, and not the actual state of the magazine.

I would say Oshi no Ko needs to be moved into mainstays, with Kowloon and 100GF moving into stable (really not seeing any reason to doubt these series' long-term permanence in the magazine at all at this point). Gantz still has something to prove in terms of whether it can grow or atleast mantain its initial sales due to being a spinoff and all.
 

Ener

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Messages
77
Reaction score
226
Country
United States
Kaguya-sama gets 2nd Live Action movie

 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
I would say Oshi no Ko needs to be moved into mainstays, with Kowloon and 100GF moving into stable (really not seeing any reason to doubt these series' long-term permanence in the magazine at all at this point). Gantz still has something to prove in terms of whether it can grow or atleast mantain its initial sales due to being a spinoff and all.
You are probably right. I tend to be really conservative with this stuff. I wanted to see if 100 GF can show more growth after the TsugiManga win, and it seems to be happening. Gantz:E is in the position it’s in because I think it’s sold enough that I feel it won’t be axed BUT I wanna see if it grows.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
14 million in 20 volumes? Damn Aka eating steak tonight
 

yadayada

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2020
Messages
1,142
Reaction score
3,518
Age
35
Country
Fire Nation
You are probably right. I tend to be really conservative with this stuff. I wanted to see if 100 GF can show more growth after the TsugiManga win, and it seems to be happening. Gantz:E is in the position it’s in because I think it’s sold enough that I feel it won’t be axed BUT I wanna see if it grows.
Yeah, I actually meant that Gantz is fine there because we dont really know anything beyond good volume 1 sales which is wholly expected for a spinoff.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Now that the manga world is about to get things up and running again, I wonder what your predictions for the magazine are for the year.

2020 may have been chaos, but it has injected the magazine with much needed new life - Oshi no Ko and Gantz:E immediately contributed to the magazine, selling impressive numbers, even for the type of manga they are (one being written by a veteran author and the other being a spinoff of a successful franchise). While Oshi no Ko has continued to build on top of it's sales with it's second volume, the direction in which Gantz:E is headed in is unclear at the moment. In the meantime, - Kowloon, Kubo, and 100 Kanojo have all shown to have promise, seemingly ending a years-long drought of unsuccessful manga that have plagued the magazine. Kubo has done the best of the three, but 100 Kanojo and Kowloon have earned some high honors that'll help with sales.
In the future, I expect all of the above but Gantz:E to grow - Oshi and Kubo being the fastest growers, followed by 100 Kanojo and then Kowloon. Gantz:E will probably stabilize, maybe decline. Now that 2021 is here, I'll also predict that Kubo-san will be the first of these manga to recieve an anime, which will be announced late in the year. Either way, these series have a future.
I'll start with the bad: JupiteriA, Junket Bank, and Stand UP Start will all be axed - in that order. The first two didn't chart on Shoseki at all, and the latter charted once in the second week - I guess there's an audience for it, but I'm not sure if it'll stick around. Shonen no Abyss doesn't seem to be improving in sales, but I think it'll be a series that might survive because others are flopping harder. I'm not sure if it'll survive the year, though. Worst case scenario, it's gone before Stand Up Start.
Futaribocchi, Uma Musume, Boku Imasu Yo, Shadows Cross, Seinen Shoyo yo
, and Shin Gunjou Senki have yet to release their first volumes. I think Futaribocchi will do okay. Coolkyou's rep precedes it, and I can see the series pull in a decent audience. I dunno if it'll maintain it, though. I also expect Uma Musume to do the same - Season 2 of the anime the manga's based off of will be airing, after all - but I wouldn't be surprised if this serialization ends up being a rather short one. Boku, Imasu yo to go the way of past series - starts off doing okay, but falls off and eventually gets cancelled a year later or so. The others are too new to tell, so I'll boldly predict that Seinen Shoyo yo will survive, helping to rebrand WYJ as a romance magazine to rival WSM.
Kaguya, Kingdom, and Golden Kamuy are the big three of the magazine, so to speak, and I expect that to stay the same in 2021. I don't expect any new anime projects except maybe S4 of GK later in the year. I also predict Real to be serialized the whole year, but as a monthly inside the weekly magazine. Shadows House's anime will finally bring the manga to a resectable level of physical sales, I hope. Snack Busue will continue to be the quiet little thing in the corner, and I honestly don't expect Momo the Blood Taker to survive the year, though that could go either way. Apparently Kaguya still has a spinoff still running in the magazine - I think that'll end this year, with the main series beginning to approach it's end.

Overall, I think this year's gonna be interesting for the magazine. Here's hoping for interesting new manga that sell well and the continuation of good hits!
 

Thehoennhippo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2019
Messages
2,436
Reaction score
3,616
Age
26
Country
United States
Your predictions seem pretty reasonable, and I honestly don't follow the magazine close enough to have much of my own, but I will add this: I predict Kowloon and Oshi no Ko will be licensed in English by the end of the year, and I don't think that any other titles will.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top