Discussion What are your viewing/reading habits?

DelGrecco

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 10, 2009
Messages
22
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Do you tend to follow anime and manga weekly or do you wait for volume/seasons to be completed?

I used to follow a lot of anime and manga weekly, but find myself much more often waiting for a month or several months at a time before getting caught up. Sometimes it's being too busy to read/watch and sometimes I just get frustrated with the pace of a story. I will say though it is nice to be able to read/watch a lot of chapter/episodes in a row after waiting. Of course the drawback then is that sometimes I have to review the storyline a little if I've been away from it too long.

Del
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
It's allways better to wait but is some cases you can't stop following the manga wekly.
 

Eshvoide

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2009
Messages
120
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Depends on the anime/manga...

- I check local bookstores on a weekly basis.
- I check animesuki on a 2 to 3 day basis.
- I check onemanga on a daily basis.
- I usually try to download one episode of a certain anime to see if it's any good. I'll usually give it up to 3 episodes before I really form an opinion of it, but if it has a cute girl in it (and my taste is rather rare) I'll usually watch it to the very end.
- I check MH usually everytime when I get on the computer because I usually forget when my tri-, bi-, monthly manga is appearing.
 

merru

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2006
Messages
100
Reaction score
4
Gender
Male
Country
Malaysia
depends on manga
- if its really good (something like one piece) I'll follow it weekly
- if its just so-so, I'll wait for it to get interesting ..then marathon till that chapter
- I check MU/MH everyday

as for the anime
- I tend to follow it weekly ..and if I got bored with it I would stop for a while and continue later, but if it still turn out bad I'll drop the anime
 

Bugzee

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
8,407
Reaction score
5,223
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I check online 99% of the time as there are very few manga/anime *specialist* stores over here and they usually rely on news from the net as well. I follow about 6/7 manga titles on a weekly basis. The rest I check out on a monthly basis. Nowadays, I prefer catching up with one manga at a time. Everything else gets put on hold lol.

As for reading habits (or necessities if you like):

Most of the time I read manga while listening to music. Drinking tea helps sometimes hahaha. When I’m reading One Piece; I don’t do anything else such as listening to music, eating, etc. Every OP chapter, panel, text, etc needs my full attention at all times. :D
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Usually when I start with a new series I start rather slow to get a grasp of the atmosphere and style of it. As soon as I like it, I read quite a lot. When I'm up to date with an ongoing manga and still like it, I google for the latest chapter available on a site which I consider to be probably most up to date, to bookmark it and check for new chapters from time to time.
I do like printed books much more than pc data, but I don't buy printed manga before I already starting liking them. When I'm sure, I try to get the volume.

I'm not up to date with any ongoing anime currently, most ones I watched and liked were all finished already.
 
Last edited:

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
I always check out the anime adaptation first of the series (if it has one) before the manga. Usually i can view a glimpse of the plot of the story easily in anime especially if the manga has long chapters.

For manga... if its available online, i follow it weekly or monthly (depends when it comes out/published), if not, i wait for the volume release but i already anticipate/expect that not all the manga i wanted to read/buy would be available on the bookstore.

For anime... i check out on animenewsnetwork or just go watch my friends' anime recommendation. Usually i watch online then if its good, i try to find/buy dvd collection of the series.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I generally find manga through the release tracker at mangaupdates, I click on every title I don't know, if something looks interesting I read it. I also will read anything by certain Manga Editors such as Mangascreener, Kotonoha, Band of Hawks and Omanga. And of course there are certain mangaka I will read anything by; Adachi, Nihei, and Taiyo Matsumoto come to mind.

I prefer completed manga, I used to have a massive amount of weekly series I was caught up on but there were to many I was reading but didn't love and was dedicating to much time to new releases.
 

ZERO PHOENIX

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
419
Reaction score
245
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Depends on the title. Manga like D. Gray-Man which only comes out once a month (if that often) compared to Air Gear which usually comes out once a week. I usually invest more attention in titles I can download. I work and go to college so I don't always have time to read manga or watch anime right then and there so I usually download so I can come back to it later.

I used to be more of an anime watcher than a manga reader but now my tastes have changed. Typically even if a popular manga has an anime I won't watch it (D. Gray-Man). This is not so much as a quality issue but a time issue. It's much quicker to spend ten or so minutes reading a chapter of a title than setting aside 20 minutes or so to watch an episode of the same thing. One way isn't better than the other I'm just in want of time.

Admittedly I'm something of a late adopter so with the exception of Claymore most of the titles I get into have been around awhile. This is why it's good for me to download chapters or volumes so I can catch up at my own pace. Of course this has its drawbacks too because once I'm all caught up with a title it becomes more difficult to wait on updates.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Manga: My reading list is rather small compared to most members here because I rarely have time to read a lot. If I want to try out a new series that has half a year or more worth of chapters, I usually wait until the holidays. When I do have time I usually read it volume by volume since it's easier to organize how much to cover at once.

Right now I follow several Edited Manga sites on Twitter for series updates. For example although OM doesn't store manga anymore, they still update which series released a chapter.

Anime: My weekday schedule is busy so I tend to watch during weekends; it's usually on a Saturday night.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I smoke during manga reading...best shit ever...I don't really care about the releases...it's like do I remember to read the series or not...for example I skipped OP for a while, after their escape recently...but I usually follow it weekly...same with Bleach...
I read Gantz every 2 months, and it's the same with Berserk and other seinens...haven't checked Vagbond in a while, nor The Breaker...

It's chaos really...sometimes I just want to make a list to keep track...especially because I know I'm forgetting some titles even now
But I like reading manga in volumes...it has the best feeling whatever the titles is...that's why I prefer mangas that have ended, or have lots of volumes...I don't even start the ones with 2 or 3 volumes unless they are special titles
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to this, and will almost always update my MAL list after reading or watching anything :XD That's my biggest "habit", I suppose.

I marathon download stuff usually when I am studying for exams. Oddly enough, when my mind starts to wander when I am supposed to be studying, I will suddenly think "Ah, I remember hearing that ____ is good, I should read it!" and start downloading it. I also begin 2-3 new series (anime/manga) every exam period unless I really restrain myself, which is pretty hard :ninja

Other than that, I check MH every day, MU every week at least, and I usually remember which day what manga comes out so I will check the respective Edited Manga sites on those days. My policy is to read whatever version comes out faster, so I also check raw manga sites almost daily to read the raws if they are out before the Edited Manga. That said, unless I'm really desperate and there are not even Japanese raws, I usually don't read Chinese Edited Mangas although I understand them perfectly well :XD
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I'm OCD about MAL too. But I forget what chapter I read if I don't update. The only series I'm lazy about are the big 3 since I read once a week on the same day.

I check the release tracker at MU every day. I have most of my reading list tagged and anything I'm slightly interested in tagged for wish list so I know when new chapters are out.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I'm also quite obsessive when it comes to MAL. My reading list isn't great, but I like everything to be organized. (I plan on revamping all the ratings since they're a mixture of bias and objectivity. LOL)

When I spend quite a lot of time reading several titles or a "bulk" series, I tend to have a cup of tea or hot cocoa beside me. I try not to eat anything around my computer but drinking from a mug is okay. :) It acts as an energizer.

I check the release tracker at MU every day. I have most of my reading list tagged and anything I'm slightly interested in tagged for wish list so I know when new chapters are out.
I might have to get a MU account of my own since I'm already losing track of the series releases. :XD
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I check on MangaReader or Mangafox to see if my manga's chapter has released. If I remember what I read. I almost always read online since it's easier.

Depending, I prefer finished series as it's finished and thus, suspense does not remain. But I'm not averse to ongoing series. I don't care how I read it, whether at home with laptop or at school with a bottle of Pepsi, it's all good to me.
 

rudorofu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
104
Reaction score
47
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Depends on the series. If it's a series that I'm dying to read another chapter of, then I'll read it immediately after it's released in English, otherwise, with other series that I just read for enjoyment, I can wait until there are a few additional chapters to read.
 

MisaoFan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 27, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
10
Age
30
Gender
Female
Country
France
I generally watch anime weekly (in order to not be late with my favorite series !!) and I read manga irregularly.
 

shinsengumi

Artist
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
1,404
Reaction score
1,443
Gender
Male
Country
Turkey
i check online readers regularly and read anything new . and for some series i cant even wait for readers so i'll check for spoilers or raws or anything
 
Top