Favorites What Demographics Do You Read?

What Demographics Do You Read


  • Total voters
    136

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I've been curious as to what fandoms are mingling here at MH. Click every box that applies to what you read. Have a question about what demographic a series falls in? Click the links below and see if it has a thread or ask before you post! Don't forget, if you'd like feel free to make a post telling everyone what you selected. A little background about how your taste developed would be great too!

Manga/Anime Forums
Seinen
Shojo/Josei
Shounen Ai & Yaoi
Shounen


I read shonen, seinen, shojo, josei, and a little bit of yuri. I started out as a shonen fan who read seinen every now and again. My first manga was Inuyasha, as I started reading the other big shonen (Bleach, D. Gray Man, Full Metal Alchemist) I was also reading seinen like Elfen Lied and 20th Century Boys. I've found that lately I am trying fewer and fewer shonen while concentrating on seinen and shojo.
 
Last edited:

Dive

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
321
Reaction score
41
Gender
Female
Country
United States
No discrimination here. I read them all. =) I'm not particularly fond of the shojo ai demographic, but occasionally a series will come along, like Sasameki Koto, and I'll love it.

As for how I developed, I guess I started with shonen, eventually to shojo with things like Marmalade Boy and MARS. Then blah blah blah, shonen ai with Gravitation and seinen with Battle Royale, Berserk, Bastard!!! (lol all B's) and whatnot. And here I am today. Yay!
 
Last edited:

igotthegoods

The Giggs
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 2, 2007
Messages
6,515
Reaction score
4,187
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I don't really stick to just one genre. I read a mix of shounen, seinen, shoujo, and josei. I've tried the tiniest bit of yaoi/shounen-ai as well, but it doesn't really thrill me. It's just... ok. But maybe I haven't found the right one yet? Or maybe it's just not for me? Who knows?

As to how my taste developed, I started out with shounen (Inuyasha was also my first manga) and read shounen only for quite a while. I tried seinen next and loved it. After that, I was a bit nervous to try shoujo/josei, worrying that it might be too cheesy and childish (especially shoujo), but was pleasantly surprised when I finally did give it a shot. :amuse

In recent months, I've been more focused on anime, and so I hadn't read that much manga (for shame! I know! :scry). But what I was reading and enjoying was mostly shoujo/josei. Just this past weekend, I decided to return to my manga roots and give a couple of shounens (Ao no Exorcist and Beelzebub) a try. I had almost forgotten how much I loved this genre. Needless to say, it felt great to return to my first love! :love

Next up will be more seinen for me, since I've been neglecting this demographic the most. Should be fun. :amuse
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Shojo made me nervous at first too. I thought everything would be sparkles, tone, and big eyes. When the previews of the spring 2008 anime were posted I thought Vampire Knight looked good and decided to read the manga first. I liked it enough that I felt encouraged to read more shojo. I've turned into a Margaret Comics fanboy since reading LoveCom, to the extent that I have been neglecting Shogakukan and Hakusensha shojo, something I really need to fix.
 

Mushashi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
501
Reaction score
52
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
my first Manga was astro boy 16 years ago. in 95 i started reading beserk. i then picked up one peice in the following years along with ranma 1/2, i then mainly consentraded on shonen also reading pluto 20th cent boys, and gantz. now i guess i read everything including about 20 shonens 6 shojos and like 7 seinens
 

TitaniumChloride

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
489
Reaction score
1,009
Gender
Hidden
Country
Malaysia
My first manga... I can't really remember but I do know it's all practically shounen stuff: Pokemon Special, Shaman King, Hell Teacher Nubei, Detective Conan and a smattering of others. I love this genre although over the years I've come to realise that for every good one I read, there's a million out there that... well...

My first contact with shoujo was actually an anime called 'Honey's Big Adventure'. I was really young then so I barely remember it. I also remember trying a Sailor Moon episode but didn't like it. The main reason I even started reading it was due to recommendations by my sister and friends. However a majority them disappoint me before they get to the end and I continue reading them just for the sake of completion. Special A was one and Ouran High is an ongoing example.

Seinen... I haven't really delved deep into this one. Heck, I've only read 2 series so far since most of those that I've come across seem to be sexually oriented. I'm caught up with Gantz but I'm honestly not enjoying it much. Burning Hell, on the other hand, has my full attention and I'm pretty happy with the 4 chapters out so far.
 
Last edited:

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
The genre i read the most is Shounen and Yaoi. I read Shoujo and Seinen as well, and only a little bit of Josei.

My first manga is... Doraemon (what genre is it? xD), seriously. Then Rose of Versailles and Candy Candy. I was an obsessed DBZ fan when i was a kid, i guess that was the series that got me into shounen :p

I used to be an obsessed BL fangirl, but now i read more shounen than BL...

[kaiten]Doraemon is Kodomo (kids). Since there's no Kodomo forum at MH I didn't list it :)[/kaiten]
 
Last edited:

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I for the most part just read shonen and seinen. I haven't really read much shojo. Nothing against, I just don't usually get as into shojo as much as seinen and shonen. In fact, the only shojo I have read are Godchild, Absolute Boyfriend, Nana, Baby and Me, Kaze Hikaru, and Crimson Hero. And I've only read the first chapters of those (as some of you may notice, those are all the starting series in the first issue of Shojo Beat :p) I actually liked Absolute Boyfriend and Kaze Hikaru just never had the drive to continue reading them or others, though someday I will read some more shojo...

I read a ton of shonen and more and more seinen each day. I find myself focusing more on seinen the older I get :o
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I do see you in the seinen forum more often recently ^^
 

Tumerking

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
242
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I started off reading a few shounen (Naruto, Bleach, Ichigo 100%) as well as a couple Seinen (Gantz, Suzuka) and then I drifted toward basically all Seinen. All shounen seemed identical to me except for FMA.

But yea, I read/completed maybe 5 shounen and like 35+ seinen.
 

ZaCloud

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
176
Reaction score
75
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I voted for the ones I read the most: Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo, Yaoi/Shounen-ai. But I'll read basically any demographic as long as I like the art, story, and characters. I seem to lean toward Shounen since it's so available, and I love me some action. But I've also run into plenty of thought-provoking Seinen (like Shion no Ou) that have little or no sexual content and are awesome. I like some Shoujo for the characters and pretty art, and often very complex plots. With shounen-ai, well, I don't pay much attention to characters' genders. So I never read it specifically for the demographic, just for the same criteria as any other manga: art, characters, and plot.

I don't even remember what genre's I started off with, I think I dabbled in a little bit of everything, and I just take each story for how it makes me think and feel. So I never lean toward or away from a specific demographic. (I just haven't found as many jousei or shoujo-ai stories yet that have piqued my interest plot-wise yet, or they sometimes just get too sexual for my liking, but the latter happens with any demographic at times. But I don't specifically avoid them either. I just statistically haven't read as many as the others.)
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
I do see you in the seinen forum more often recently ^^
Yeah it took me awhile to get into seinen. Only a few series clicked with me here and there but now most of them look good ;)
 

niiica

Translator
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 8, 2009
Messages
42
Reaction score
6
Age
35
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I really don't post here on MH much (but I do go here every single day) but I really have taken a liking to seinen and josei stuff. I guess we can say that those are much more mature than shounen and shoujo... and I really don't like annoying cliches that can be found especially in shoujo mangas. Don't get me wrong, I read everything on the poll except for shounen-ai/yaoi and shoujo-ai/yuri and I like all that I read.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I started out reading Shonen, first series were Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Bakuman, one of the easiest to read and overall fun stories. Then I moved into Seinen with my first series being Liar Game, Pluto and Gantz.. I soon realized these weren't your ordinary kids manga. These have some great stories and that's what I look for the most. But now I have ventured into more areas and have read some of Nodame Cantibile for Josei and Kimi ni Todoke for shojo. I read tons of Shonen just because scans are widely available but Seinen is one of my favorites.
 

Revilenigma

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2008
Messages
786
Reaction score
78
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Mostly seinen (first was BLAME!) especially dramas and anything obscure like the genki and garo-esque stuff but I do occasionally read some shonen, usually weekly series like bleach and bakuman and some old stuff, and sometimes josei with series like dawn chill hands and dolls.
 

Mushashi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
501
Reaction score
52
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
shounen is too popular :( its nice to see seinen being so close though. interesting to see the majority of peoples reading habits. although mind isnt in the majority XD
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
A crap load of Shounen. It has its cliche elements and a number of them are incredibly bad(Looking at you Fairy Tail, Part 2 Naruto, and Bleach) but there are also a number of great titles in the demographic as well. I get loads of enjoyment from it. I'd have to in order to read over a hundred from the category.

Seinen, I haven't read as much. I've been saving a big list of Seinen to read for 2010. What I've read so far is limited to 10 chapters of Liar Game which were good and 30-40 chapters Tenjou Tenge which is extremely convoluted. Then again, it seems most of Oh Great!'s work is that way.

The only Shoujo I've read so far is D.N. Angel and I've watched the Kimi ni Todoke anime with my girlfriend. I'll read its manga soon.
 

Mushashi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
501
Reaction score
52
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
its full of cliche's but its still fun. i still read bakuman naruto one peice bleach fma d gray man and claymore. i just read more seinen
 

dissentniisama

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 21, 2009
Messages
19
Reaction score
5
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Mainly Shounen, Seinen, and a small number of Shoujo Ai/Yuri (if you don't count the prodigious amount of said-themed Touhou doujin, anyway).

However, I wonder sometimes about the demographic names. You ever wonder how some decidedly-shounen and seinen titles end up getting marketed as Shoujo (or simply 'for girls' if it doesn't get buzz-labeled) over here? ADV is notorious for doing that with their listings on Anime Network, and I've also seen it done for some manga that gets published. Just because females might make up a good portion of the main cast of a series doesn't mean it's shoujo. Do Mahoromatic, Rozen Maiden, or Magikano really look that much like they were targeted towards girls? I didn't think so.

Even with the above paragraph in mind, I'm really not sure where to place some of the stuff I read. It's not exactly the typical shounen action fare (since most of it is comedy or romantic comedy), and often it's not really mature or dark enough for me to say it's seinen. Pretty much that vacuum between the two - maybe 'older shounen' or 'younger seinen'? I don't know. There are solid entries on both sides I peruse, though. I do regularly read Bleach for the pure shounen action stuff, and I'm about halfway through Kodomo no Jikan on the seinen side (and I already mentioned Mahoromatic and Rozen Maiden; you could also throw Elfen Lied in there, too). I'd also wager practically any manga or anime adaptation of an 18+ visual novel has license to be filed under seinen, even if the erotic content was excised from it. Except that I'm more inclined to play the original novel, as I did for Tsukihime.
 
Last edited:

Mushashi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2009
Messages
501
Reaction score
52
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
He wrote a novel! ^ elfen lied is awsome. and 18+ rarely gets filed under seinin just for this reason.
 
Top