- Joined
- Feb 1, 2006
- Messages
- 3,878
- Reaction score
- 1,775
- Gender
- Female
- Country
-
Yeah I'm not dissing the art in shoujo really, I just don't normally like it. To me a lot of it isn't pleasing to look at, so I never even take the time to read the story. Though, the ones i do like the art in I generally love the story. It's a visual medium after all, and the visuals are important to tastes. Unfortunately a good story isn't a prerequisite for good art and visa versa, but the art is "the foot in the door". At least, for me.
I'll even admit that I would never have read Fruits Basket, no matter how many times I heard how good it was, until after I had watched the anime, which I didn't really like and only watched because it was free and nothing else was on Anime Netwok On Demand. I skipped the first 30 or chapters because I didn't like it, but i was curious how it was continued after the anime, so i trudged on, and around chapter 60 or so I really got into it and the pretty art style grew on me.
The early story was just too "kiddy" for me and it didn't get interesting until
I also forund many of the characters to be extremely annoying and would skip over whole pages with them because I didn't like them and didn't care about their roles in the story, but when those characters matured I grew to really like most of them.
Maybe it's just because I'm an adult who hated high school drama that I don't find high school drama manga very interesting.
I'll even admit that I would never have read Fruits Basket, no matter how many times I heard how good it was, until after I had watched the anime, which I didn't really like and only watched because it was free and nothing else was on Anime Netwok On Demand. I skipped the first 30 or chapters because I didn't like it, but i was curious how it was continued after the anime, so i trudged on, and around chapter 60 or so I really got into it and the pretty art style grew on me.
The early story was just too "kiddy" for me and it didn't get interesting until
Kyou turned into the cat demon.
Maybe it's just because I'm an adult who hated high school drama that I don't find high school drama manga very interesting.
Last edited:
Unfortunately that's shoujo artwork for you, I think it has been used at least from the 80's. I guess that is what makes a shoujo manga a shoujo manga. Girls like pretty stuff
.
