Question What do you love about Togashi's style?

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I just found out other very nice thing Togashi has pulled out very nicely, its a psychological term (Which right now I don't remember) but it basically is like when you are in a conversation with a friend (or group of friends) and you begin to tell a story or an anecdote and you interconnect or make various plots and subplots without even noticing that way you make the people hearing more engached to the story while they ask themselves what's going on on the other open parts of the story.
Ie. I tell a story to a group of friends.
"Remember the time we where drinking and then I got so drunk that I began to dance like a monkey and-- Oh also when you bought that monkey from that exotic animal seller that could fight with knives!!- Talking about knives there was this time I got cut with a knife"
Ok this is a very... Shortened example but I think you guys get the idea, when talking to people without noticing we open threads for other stories.
Its also a trade of a good story-teller, I have seen various mangakas do this but not in the way Togashi has pulled this..

SPOILERS for the most recent HXH manga chapters:


Like there have been... 7 or so straight chapters where Togashi presents super-interesting plot after another without resolving the previous.
The only one that so far has been resolved is how the King died, and who the Zodiacs are (Other mangakas would probably have keep some Zodiacs hidden or something).
-What happened to Gon. JUST SHOW HIME ALREADY TOGASHI DAMMIIIT!!!
-What´s Gin plan? Does he even have one?
-Leorio and Kurapika. (Longest open thread in fiction ever..?? 10 years.. Well.. Technically since we all know Togashi isn´t precisely "weekly")
-Alluka.
-Hisoka and Illumi.
-Who the heck is the grunt that called Killua Killua-chan?
-Killua´s plan.
-Who will be president?
-Zodiac´s abilities (The ones that have been hinted/shown seem kinda like their zodiac name, i.e. monkey being Son Goku´s pole, the sheep being like .. fluffy) Pariston ability..
-Who the other dudes in the TOP list for Hunter President are.. Well we all know who the 3rd guy is now LOL
-What about Genei Ryodan (Not shown but is an open question we all have.. Or is it just me?)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

ashher

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
1,967
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Bangladesh
I still can't comprehend how Togashi went from a rom-com that got cancelled to a so simple tournament manga YYH (Which was verryyyyy good.. But a tourny manga nevertheless which basically involved the characters going and figthing in a tourny.. But the execution was very good) to Level E which was.. Like a prequel to some of the ideas of HXH which is a complete mind-fuck! I mean woow.. Togashi you have outdone yourself! Bravo!

BTW does anyone have the Togashi comic? The one where its kinda like Bakuman it was made in Korea IIRC, it has bad drawings but its funny lol.
That execution word is my answer. I haven't read any other work of him...but what i love about HxH is that he is meticulous and intelligent with his details and plot. That's why despite this being as filled with supernatural thingies as any other shonens feel so down to earth. He has this gift of making what he writes feel totally possible and most reasonable thing to happen in the confines of his universe. Even he writes his characters like that so at first glance his characterization may seem bland...but its not actually.
 

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2009
Messages
14,233
Reaction score
10,775
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I like the rules he makes up for everything...he leaves no room for speculation, except the direction of the plot...and I definitely like the sense of humor as well
 

ashher

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
1,967
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Bangladesh
I simply love HxH due to it not being black and white but grey. :D It's not your average shounen, where you can already predict an outcome (I'm looking at you *cough* Bleach *cough*). But Togashi's greatest piece of work are his characters, you can actually understand why they act like they do. Kurapica for example losing his loved ones is on a quest for revenge and our main character, who is naive in every single aspect acts out of his character, when his loved one got brutally murdered. I'm looking forward to see how Gon will perceive the world and how he will evolve from that because he has experienced the same thing Kurapica has.
While i do believe Togashi is a good character-writer...i don't think that is the best of his abilities. He treats his characters like a problem to solve,the way he treats his plot. Its a strong suit in plot writing,but i don't think its the best way to write characters. As you said, we can understand why they act like as they do, but we don't exactly feelas they do imo.

Its an interesting way of writing characters, but its not the ideal way imo.

Edit: in fact i believe komugi is the best written character in the whole manga, with the king, Hisoka and palm next.
 
Last edited:

Federicoxxx

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 10, 2008
Messages
5,671
Reaction score
3,161
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
i just love.. the increidble.. similarities.. he made in HxH world and our world..

HxH is..like ours... Ruthless..merciless..and full of people. .ready to kill you and step over you

to obtain what they want AT ANY COST...from pure power to ..any kind of item....

Meteor City (流星街, Ryuuseigai),,is the pure core
of the worst of HxH...world

is hard to Believe.. but in our world.. places like that also exists..

there is no mercy .. not even for a 12yo like Gon ..

thats why Ging have no problem.. .knowing he is fighting Murderers...assasins.. and any other kind

of very very dangerous people..he want Gon get ..strong.. AT ANY COST....
 

jose

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
91
Reaction score
12
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
i like him because of the hiatus.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Haha lol jose..
Anyway I remember other thing I like about Togashi.. I like his doggy-esque avatar, you know the thing author's use to identify themselves like Toriyama's robot or Oda's Fishman (Or is Oda's avatar pandaman??)..
Anyway I think Togashi really should have included himself as a member of the Zodiac (Dog) haha would have been too funny (and trolling).

Also a long time ago I readed like a fan-made comic (IIIRC the Manga Editor said it was made on korean or chinese forums) but I cant find it anymore, it was about Togashi IIRC and it was kinda like bakuman (Making manga and all that). Here is a scene of it. The first image with a dog-like man that says iiyo mata.. and other things lol.. Dont know kanji
 

steadynco

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2012
Messages
119
Reaction score
46
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
The main highlight of HXH is the intelligent narrative - thoughts and actions are thoroughly explained and there aren't the major issues with logic that are present in most other shonen. I also love unpredictable storytelling.

Togashi's artwork may not be the prettiest at times but it works well for the story. HXH also has the least regard for keeping the drawings bound to panels and it works wonderfully!

The entire nen ability system is the most realistic and logical system I've ever encountered in manga. I really like how abilities aren't just overpowered and flashy. The naming trend for abilities is pretty cool too, the meaning of/thought behind the ability is shown and the furigana tells you what the user has named his ability (eg. The words "The Unforgivable One" appear with the furigana reading "Pain Packer" when Feitan launches that fireball in the Zazan fight).
 
Top