What do you think One piece is? | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

What do you think One piece is?

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Re: What is One Piece?!?!

Luffy drawing a manga :D just imagined a mange like the flag and the shipwright he painted - great.

Well however I think that one piece is ... friendship, adventure, all the treasures you find on the way (Roger must have found loads) and the experience you make. But perhaps one piece is just rogers favourite manga >.<

IgnorantSage

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines

I think we wont ever get a real End to OP .. it'll just end with the strawhats dreams complete and them leaving to go on more adventures.
Just thinking about that kind of ending gets me teary-eyed... :crying

Impel Down

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought of, with One Piece being a map to other places that are "cool", so it ends with them going out to look for them. Or, it would be really interesting, if in the end, they set off, then it was like "20 years later", and Luffy is walking up to the Loguetown gallows.

Paz42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I personaly think that one piece will be some treasure as rodger must have had gold but i also think there will be a note amonst the treasure saying somthing along the lines of

" You managed to make it this far you must share the same passion for adventure as me you can count me as one of you nakama"

which would lead to as with all new nakama we would get a flash back showing gol and maybe an explination of "D"

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

If D isn't explained before they get One Piece, that would really suck, unless the Rio Ponglyph explains it. But, I like the idea of it being cash AND the memoir of adventure and nakama.

Paz42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

ye i think thats somthing that would make luffy really happy he has acomplished his dream and all of his nakama have come with him through thick and thin and they have finaly arrived here and now he can count the most legendary pirate of all time as his nakama even if it is only in spirit

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I don't understand what you mean by "could the most legendary pirate of all time as his nakama even if it is only in spirit".

Paz42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

well if my theory that there was o note saying that luffy and co could count gol as a nakama who is the most famous pirate to have ever lived and as hes dead he would have to be in spirit, i can kinda see an imagine of the straw hats current and any future memebers that may join looking out into the ocean for new adventures with gol looking over them somthing like that

sorry if im not making much sense

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

That's certainly an interesting idea, since Roger had nakama all over the place, basically everyone he met, just like Luffy. But, if that's true, then that makes Buggy and Shanks Luffy's nakama.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Well SHANKS is certainly Luffy's nakama. Buggy certainly ISN'T though. Heck, Buggy wouldn't really have considered anyone in Roger's crew his nakama, probably, he seemed scornful of all of them, so if it involves being nakama in spirit with Rogers nakama, then it probably only includes Roger's TRUE nakama, in other words, Buggy would be excluded. And Paz42, that would be an AWESOME final panel, or maybe even a double page spread, for One Piece. It'd actually be reminiscent of the last page of the last time you see the main Z Fighters (last page of the 3rd to last chapter of volume 35) of Dragonball, which is what I consider the real end of the series, but that's a different story. And Oda-sensei DID say that his biggest influence as a mangaka was Dragonball, and then Doctor Slump, I think.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

I wouldn't know, I never got into DBZ. But, I guess Shanks kinda was his friend, but not really his nakama, so to speak, but I guess if he becomes his nakama, then there'd be a whole pirate alliance, with all the big crews all as nakama.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

I wouldn't know, I never got into DBZ. But, I guess Shanks kinda was his friend, but not really his nakama, so to speak, but I guess if he becomes his nakama, then there'd be a whole pirate alliance, with all the big crews all as nakama.
Shanks gave up his arm to save Luffy. That's more then friendship. That's the bond between nakama. And in the Edited Mangas I have for chapter 1, which are right out of Viz, Shanks says "Good reason or not, nobody hurts a friend of mine!" I am willing to bet you that in the Japanese version, they used the word "nakama" there.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Well, in OP, they use nakama for like a crewmate, rather than a friend, don't they? And as rival pirates, technically, so far they shouldn't call each other nakama yet.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Well, in OP, they use nakama for like a crewmate, rather than a friend, don't they? And as rival pirates, technically, so far they shouldn't call each other nakama yet.
I'd say they use it as both. And even though they're rival pirates, they're still nakama in their hearts!! (I meant that seriously too, by the way.)

IgnorantSage

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

As far as I know (and I don't know that much btw), they usually do refer to crewmates as nakama. The work 'nakama' however seems to have a deeper meaning, like friendship or a very deep friendship and companion, a very strong bond.

While they may not be technically crewmates with Shanks, both of them (Shanks and Luffy) are nakamas although Shanks is no nakama to the rest of the Mugiwaras.

haruka9

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

well aside from pirates, adventures, goals, and dreams, one piece revolves around the essence of "nakama." it doesn't necessarily implies a "crewmate." This series gives an important and deep value for "nakama." Therefore, it can be implied to any people (crewmates or not, or the characters they meet along their journey) they consider as friends.

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Yeah, the two main points of OP are Moral/Absolute Justice and nakamas, but they use nakamas as your friends who you work and travel with, not like regular friends, so I don't know if that would make Shanks his nakama or not, although if One Piece says he is, then I guess that makes Shanks officially his nakama.

aimaimaim

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score

i dont think the question "what is one piece?" is the greatest question in OP or "how to get to one piece".. i think there are 2 questions, "what does it take to become the pirate king?" and "how can that "treasure" makes you a pirate king?" are the real questions.. why?

roger said that his treasure was in OP right? so that means it is a place. the answer to the pirate king question is in OP..

on rogers treasure..
it is a treasure.. but i believe its not something about friendship or something but its about power.. a thing that gives power to anyone who can have it..

Impel Down

Reaction score
Country
Canada

That sounds....kinda weird. What kind of a pirate king would have to rely on some magical gold for all their power. And it makes you the pirate king because the only one who could get to where it's kept is the last Pirate King, so that would make whoever makes it there again is the new Pirate King, simple as that.

Imitorar

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Yeah, the two main points of OP are Moral/Absolute Justice and nakamas...
And dreams, mustn't forget dreams. By the way, was that / between Moral and Absolute for both of them, or for vs.? Because it just seems like a vs. matter to me, with Luffy's moral justice vs. the absolute justice of the Marines, even though some Marines have better justice systems (Aokiji's "Lazy Justice") or even worse ones (Lucci's "Dark Justice").