Life What happens when you die?

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
I'm sorry but from all the hypothesis about life and death, the reincarnation idea in another body/species is the most absurd of all. To believe that souls go from a dead body to a new one of a new - or not - species - does not make any sense to me.

Even if it was true, it would only mean that the soul is not worth anything : it would just be something that animates living creatures and nothing more. There would be no point in giving a plant or an animal some kind of souls and not others.

PS : I don't say that the philosophy behind the belief - peace, respect of the nature etc... - is stupid but that the main concept definitely is.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
My main issue with reincarnation is that live itselve loses a tad of meaning. Life is all the more important if you only live once. It'd be kinda like failing at live once is ok given that you get to be reborn and get another shot at it.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Well from what I gather about reincarnation is that sure you get more shots at life but that all depends on how you lived in the past life plus you don't have easily accessible memories so you don't remember your past lives. In other religions like Christianity and Islam, the "importance of life" so to speak is that you only get one. While in religions like Hinduism and Buddhism where reincarnation is a long-held belief, the "importance of life" is that all life is connected. When your life ends, your soul continues to be part of the circle of life and so on. So to me, the idea itself its beautiful in theory. I myself don't believe in it but I do like the premise.

Now if I got that completely wrong please correct me :p
 

Wint

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2009
Messages
190
Reaction score
92
Gender
Male
Country
Zimbabwe
I die, I get cremated, my ashes are scattered. Simple as that.
 

Cookie Frog

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 14, 2010
Messages
41
Reaction score
21
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
When I was younger, I used to imagine myself floating in space as an old man. That's what I thought happened when people die.

Now... what Wint said. Except I wanna be buried, so I can rise from the dead and rain hell upon my enemies :P
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,291
Reaction score
24,923
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I bet your enemies will use umbrellas :p

I never liked the idea of there being nothing after life. Quite frankly, with such a notion I can't even justify turning into a hedonist even though there clearly would be not much more to look forward too. Dunno, I find the idea altogether depressing but that is just me.
 

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
NDE about tunnel and light made me remind a nightmare that I used to often make when I was a child. I was feeling terribly bad - it's impossible to describe - and ended up in the middle of the night standing in the corridor. Fortunately my mother often came to bring me back to bed and stop the nightmare :p

What I was experiencing is very strange. It was like I was going through a tunnel little by little - actually by steps - until some infinite " area " came. All these feelings repeat themselves - from the tunnel to the infinite area - until my nightmare ended up.

I was in literary terms feeling that I was moving forward. It's not as if you had a corpse or that you saw things moving or even things around, it's only that the progression of your feelings is like going through a tunnel. It's like going through a tunnel of bad feelings coming by waves until you feel that it stopped forever. So there is no " tunnel " or " light " visible, or even dark around, it's just a travel of feelings, which seems like what you feel is going through a tunnel, and which brings to a " light ", which is actually the " time " when the tunnel stops, that is to say when your bad feelings disappear.

At some point in my childhood, I described the feelings I had during this nightmare to my parents, and they said that I went through a difficult birth. And they said they thought what I was experiencing several times was actually my own birth. Strangely, it seems that this nightmare vanished from my dreams after I heard my parents'explanation.
 
Last edited:

Wut

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
4
Reaction score
1
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think you realize how serious life was and how much more you could've done

before you go to heaven or hell
 

Karma7K

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 6, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I'm a frisbeetarian.

That means I think when you die, your soul gets stuck on your roof.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
The idea of not existing at all is kinda interesting as it is absolutely impossible to imagine how "nothing" is like. I mean not just experiencing nothing like in a silent black room, but not to be able to feel or think or notice anythings such as in not existing.

I guess realising the own process of dying has a good chance of resulting into suddenly seeing all the missed options of a life - or possibly not as this is too much complex thinking for a dying brain :P Maybe it's just the knowledge of learning that a person one knew has died - which definitly results into thinking of all the things one missed to do with or learn from that person.
 

Lawl Po Bia

The OMO King
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2010
Messages
11,478
Reaction score
14,406
Country
Japan
Has anyone fall unconscious ? I did and I remember what I saw...lol... Everything was ddark and I saw some really high tower. I believe after we die we get quickly reborn as another type of living being
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Has anyone fall unconscious ? I did and I remember what I saw...lol... Everything was ddark and I saw some really high tower. I believe after we die we get quickly reborn as another type of living being
I don't mean to critise your view in any way, but the human brain tends to create a lot of imagery and illusions, especially in situations like such related to unconsciousness. Just think of dreams for example: Most people know the experience that they awoke in the middle of a pleasant dream, while the dream actually ended a long time ago but the brain does not communicate that to the consciousness.
There also was an explanation for that "light at the end of a tunnel" and such stuff for near-death experiences as the brain starts acting strangely in such situations.
After all our human perception is extremely easily to decieve by such circumstances as it can be impossible to distinguish reality and simple signals our brain creates.

Slightly related to that topic: Famous sceptic James Randi talks about a potential out of body experience he had (without the scientific/biological/neuronal points but arguing in other ways)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwKkbd2e-c
 

andywily889

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 23, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
38
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It is hard to describe that what happens when you die? No one can know about this logic. There are so many writer writes on it but still every one try to know this. Death is the most misunderstood subject in the world from the beginnings.
 

Synthoxide

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
11
Reaction score
7
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I'd like to believe in reincarnation more than anything - that if we live a good life, we will become a "good" animal, per se. But I'm a little skeptical of that. I suppose if I really believe in something (or wouldn't be surprised if it happened is more the phrase), it would be that there is nothing. We simply float around for eternity. (:
 

steelwingcrash1

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2010
Messages
554
Reaction score
111
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Philippines
Of course, I want to go to heaven. LOL. Who wouldn't? (Of course, this is religion-based). It's not like I'm a perfectly good man here on earth, but I'm not that extremely bad either. So, I think my soul is eligible to enter heaven (I hope.)

Anyway, I really want my body to be cremated and my ashes be kept in our house garden. That way, my family will always remember me.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
When asking this question then I feel simultaneously some comfort and discomfort. Existential question are always subjectively answered. Each one copes with this question on his own way. I have done some finale goodbyes to dead relatives and when I saw their body, I always wondered is this an eternal never wake up sleep? Did something escape from your body? etc etc

I am agnostic when people ask me this question because I do not know what will happen after death but I do hope that it won't be finished afterwards. So, I'd say you'll only know what will happen when you are facing your own death
 
Last edited:

ss5

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
12
Reaction score
5
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Your body stops working, and when your brain no longer has activity you ar considered dead.
 

DLord.Van.Buuren

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
1,716
Reaction score
1,226
Gender
Hidden
Country
Japan
This question is mainly related to wether god exists or not, now we are currently debating this topic in the religious thread, so if you want to weigh the facts and see for yourself then I advise you to read that thread because its very informative.
 

deleted

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
51
Reaction score
36
Gender
Hidden
Country
Earth Kindom
The question has always fascinated me, although I really don't have an answer. In my opinion it depends on the things that people believe in (humans are good in decieving themselves, if their believe in something is strong enough). Also it depends on the way a person dies. People who were about to drown say that at first it was panic and then a serene feeling invading their minds and bodies. People who fell from great heights and still survived, said that they had seen their whole life play in front of their eyes.

I think that when you die, you see scraps of your life again. The good ones, the bad ones and maybe you see people you've meet, those who're part of your family and those that played a role in your life.
I've never had a near-death experience so I can't possibly know but that would probably be the things that would come to my mind before it shuts down forever.
 

Kuroki-Honoo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 19, 2010
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I think this is a good question. For me I'm a Christian and I believe in Heaven and Hell. Though I'm interested in other peoples opinions :) <3
 
Top