Discussion - What Manga Do You Read? | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What Manga Do You Read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

C4animax

Intl Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Currenctly reading :

Naruto (enjoy and recommand)
Bleach (enjoy and recommand)
Yu gi ho (enjoy)
Samourai deeper kyo (the story is being a bit out of control ...)
Detective Conan (enjoyed at start but this is the kind of manga that could never stop...enjoy the "kids" stories though)

I have read :

Great teacher onizuka (enjoyed very much and strongly recomand)

Couldn't read :

One piece(didn't like it from the very start)
Rave(don't remember why)

Most of other manga(not listed here ) i saw their anime which were quite good (./hack sign for exemple/the chornicle of lodoss) i don't know for the paper thing...

Galth

Puella Magi
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Update ;) :
I've read Naruto up to 295, Bleach up to 215, DeathNote up to 095, D.Gray Man up to 068, School Of Water Business up to 011... I'm currently reading One Piece, i've just finished the second volume :)

kadoman

Itachi's Hat Maker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
C4animax said:
Currenctly reading :

Couldn't read :

One piece(didn't like it from the very start)
Rave(don't remember why)
Finally! Someone else who doesn't like One Piece! I also couldn't get into it right from the start. I've read the first volume (more like 'struggled' though it). I thought it was completely devoid of humour and didn't like the drawing style. When you say Rave, do you mean Rave Master? If so, I believe that one is pitched squarely at the under 12's, so that probably explains why you didn't like that one.

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I read way too much to list. One Piece is by far my favorite though.

Manga that I haven't seen mentioned but are extremely good include:

20th Century Boys
H2
Touch
I''s
Hajime no Ippo
Jojo's Bizarre Adventures

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well, so far, One Piece works fine for me, though it isn't as good as Naruto/Bleach/DeathNote imho... though Luffy is quite funny, they shouldn't have made him the main character, more like the second, that annoys people... and the artwork resembles the fact that it is made to be less 'realistic' then other manga ( as far as that's possible )

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I don't know whether I'll be crucifixed for mentioning this now or not, but a little update on my reading - I've caught up to One Piece's latest chapter. I'm working on reading Hajime no Ippo and Black Cat now.

I think it really depends on your taste, though. One Piece does possess good attention to detail and a very imaginative world with interesting characters, but it's all about the storytelling and art style sometimes. For me I read it mainly because of the storytelling, but the art does bug me.

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why One Piece is my favorite:

The greatest appeal of One Piece is its pure creativity. This is such a broad topic that I can't really explain it well without breaking it down into the following subtopics:

1) In regards to the art in One Piece. I personally think its the most refreshing and creative art style to come around in a long time. Standard manga/anime art really gets boring after a while, and the art in One Piece is a really refreshing change. Maybe you have to be like me and have read/watched a whole shitload of other series to really appreciate how unique and refreshing it is, I dunno - but it certainly does fit the characters like a glove, and works very well.

2) The characters. Although it can be argued that Luffy himself is not that creative due to the fact that Stretch Armstrong and such came before him, the rest of the crew are some of the most unprecedented and stroke of genius characters to grace manga in over 10 years. A swordsman with three swords? When I was a kid, I used to dream about someone finally having the guts to do that, and lo and behold - it did. While that was enough on its own to keep me interested, Oda-sensei went even further. Who would have thought the tale of the boy who cried wolf could be spun into such an awesome and funny character? How come nobody ever thought of creating a blue-nosed reindeer before?

3) The villains. In all honesty I really can't name any villains in all the manga that I've read that I hate as much as the villains in One Piece. By hate I'm referring to how evil they are. They're such freaking bastards - totally villainous and totally awesome. I hate them so much that when Luffy came around and punches them in the face, their expression of pain and anguish is enough to make me jump out of my chair and yell "HELL YEA! THAT'S WHAT YOU GET YOU SON OF A B****!!" I really can't say that for any other villains.

4) The setting. Each and every island is so different and fun. The world of One Piece is truly immersive, ever changing, and never stagnant. Pirates don't just stay on one island all the time, they sail from one to the next! The entrance to the Grand Line is truly the work of genius, and the events within fully capture the essence of "adventure".

5) One Piece does not fall into cliche traps. This is a little bit of a complicated topic, but I'll provide some examples. Keep in mind that this keeps One Piece so good and unpredictable.
A) First - tournament manga are getting really old. It was done with Yu Yu Hakusho, it was done with Flame of Recca, and it was somewhat done by Dragon Ball. The ability for a shonen manga that has a lot of fighting like One Piece to avoid having a tournament is amazing. Many authors, when they run out of ideas, simply just throw in a tournament through which all they have to do is think up pairings and fights for a couple volumes (yes, I'm looking at YOU Kishimoto).
B) Next - Super Saiyan mode! When Toriyama Akira first introduced the concept of powering up into a second level, it was awesome. Then a bunch of manga authors took a look at their own characters and decided they needed it too in order to introduce more challenging enemies. As soon as that decision is made for their main character, they take a look at all their other characters and decide they all need it too or else they would no longer have a place in the manga. So all of a sudden everyone and their mother in the manga can go Super Saiyan. In case you haven't gotten it yet, I'm talking about Bleach and Bankai. Or how about Prince of Tennis and Shaman King, hm? Now, before you say anything, I am aware that Luffy has recently achieved something called Second Gear. While I am worried that this will damage the quality of the manga, we still don't know what it is, and it could still be something Luffy just though up using his imagination. As long as everyone and their mother doesn't get it, its all good.

Right, so there's One Piece.

So how about my opinion on Naruto and Bleach?

Well I've been following both manga ever since their respective debuts on Shonen Jump (in Japan) all those years ago. A lot of things we see these days in manga is that they start off with this really awesome concept and hit you with a bang right in volume one. When the first chapter of Naruto first came out, I was floored by the awesome reinvention of the concept of a Ninja - and I was pretty confident it was going to move on to great things. However, in my honest opinion the quality of the manga has been ever declining at a steady rate since its debut. As soon as the Chuunin Exam fighting tournament (which was executed flawlessly) ended, I really lost faith. I was eager to see if Kishimoto-sensei had the ability to spin a great manga without having to rely on the tournament, and my expectations fell flat. Instead we are treated with an overemphasis of Naruto's "I'm so lonely" theme, and one of the most predictable character setups in manga history: Naruto-Jiraiya, Sasuke-Orochimaru, Sakura-Tsunade. In my honest opinion the only thing Naruto still has going for it is the quality of the fights - which are superb.

Now let's talk about Bleach. I remember way back when Zombie Powder was cancelled after four volumes, and finding out that the author has moved on to Bleach. I really didn't go in with very high expectations, which made the experience a lot better. For some reason I don't remember much of what happened before everyone went into Soul Society - so I guess I can say that everything in the manga prior to going into Soul Society is not memorable. There are two things that really bug me about Bleach: one is the overabundance of useless Shinigami, and the second is the overdramatizing of Bankai. I mean, don't you have to go through some super-insane life or death training to become a Shinigami? This is implied multiple times in the manga, yet there are hordes and hordes of Shinigami in the manga whose sole purpose is the get taken out in one hit, what's up with that? (I know, there are hordes and hordes of marines in One Piece who get taken out in one hit too, but you never hear anyone talking about insane life or death training to become a marine). Now what about Bankai? Didn't Byakuya say that anyone who achieves Bankai gets written down in Shinigami history forever? Isn't it some super special super secret ability? So how come everyone and their mother can do it? How come Ichigo and Renji both so conveniently obtain it right then and there in the middle of a catastrophic event where they somehow conveniently have enough time for training?
Why the hell does that bald guy have it?
It doesn't make any sense. Oh well.

i've spoilertagged one line you said, hope you don't mind ;) - K

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Well, i mostly agree with you on your one piece and bleach texts, but i must disagree with you on Naruto. I believe Naruto started pretty boring, with mostly concentrating on the 'funny and stupid' acts of Naruto, and i started to enjoy it more later on. Just when i began to get bored of the (awesome, but many) battles in the last part of the Chunin Arc, it ended in such an unexpected way that it totally got my interest again, and with the introduction of various akatsuki people and orochimaru during that event, the manga has not let me go ever since ;), and the whole sannin-team7 mash-up was indeed predictable, but it still made the manga more interesting, and jiraiya just rules ^^

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
shinwei, you're a pretty good advocate of the One Piece series, but...

shinwei said:
5) One Piece does not fall into cliche traps. This is a little bit of a complicated topic, but I'll provide some examples. Keep in mind that this keeps One Piece so good and unpredictable.
A) First - tournament manga are getting really old.
I'm sorry, but for me, most of One Piece is a tournament manga and rather cliche. Whenever Luffy's crew faces another crew, it's Luffy against the other captain, Zoro against the No. 2 man, Sanji against the No. 3 man, Nami against the female and so on. Now there has been some exceptions but technically One Piece doesn't escape from that cliche at all.

Yes, Oda does a good job making the story interesting apart from the fights, but I feel Kishimoto does that for Naruto and TK for Bleach as well.

I think it's just a matter of which storytelling style you like the most.

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Gold Knight said:
I'm sorry, but for me, most of One Piece is a tournament manga and rather cliche. Whenever Luffy's crew faces another crew, it's Luffy against the other captain, Zoro against the No. 2 man, Sanji against the No. 3 man, Nami against the female and so on. Now there has been some exceptions but technically One Piece doesn't escape from that cliche at all.
This only happened in the Alabasta arc. Did it happen in Skypiea? Nope. Is it happening now in the current arc? Nope. Did it happen anywhere else in the manga at all? Nope.

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
It'd say it's happening in the current arc, especially in the last chapter, and also against Arlong's crew. But anyway, I don't really want to argue about this here - we can argue about it in the One Piece section, we're getting off topic here ;) And anyway, it's not that I don't like One Piece.

Skaro

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
France
shinwei said:
Why One Piece is my favorite:

The greatest appeal of One Piece is its pure creativity. This is such a broad topic that I can't really explain it well without breaking it down into the following subtopics:

1) In regards to the art in One Piece. I personally think its the most refreshing and creative art style to come around in a long time. Standard manga/anime art really gets boring after a while, and the art in One Piece is a really refreshing change. Maybe you have to be like me and have read/watched a whole shitload of other series to really appreciate how unique and refreshing it is, I dunno - but it certainly does fit the characters like a glove, and works very well.

2) The characters. Although it can be argued that Luffy himself is not that creative due to the fact that Stretch Armstrong and such came before him, the rest of the crew are some of the most unprecedented and stroke of genius characters to grace manga in over 10 years. A swordsman with three swords? When I was a kid, I used to dream about someone finally having the guts to do that, and lo and behold - it did. While that was enough on its own to keep me interested, Oda-sensei went even further. Who would have thought the tale of the boy who cried wolf could be spun into such an awesome and funny character? How come nobody ever thought of creating a blue-nosed reindeer before?

3) The villains. In all honesty I really can't name any villains in all the manga that I've read that I hate as much as the villains in One Piece. By hate I'm referring to how evil they are. They're such freaking bastards - totally villainous and totally awesome. I hate them so much that when Luffy came around and punches them in the face, their expression of pain and anguish is enough to make me jump out of my chair and yell "HELL YEA! THAT'S WHAT YOU GET YOU SON OF A B****!!" I really can't say that for any other villains.

4) The setting. Each and every island is so different and fun. The world of One Piece is truly immersive, ever changing, and never stagnant. Pirates don't just stay on one island all the time, they sail from one to the next! The entrance to the Grand Line is truly the work of genius, and the events within fully capture the essence of "adventure".

A) First - tournament manga are getting really old. It was done with Yu Yu Hakusho, it was done with Flame of Recca, and it was somewhat done by Dragon Ball. The ability for a shonen manga that has a lot of fighting like One Piece to avoid having a tournament is amazing. Many authors, when they run out of ideas, simply just throw in a tournament through which all they have to do is think up pairings and fights for a couple volumes (yes, I'm looking at YOU Kishimoto).
B) Next - Super Saiyan mode! When Toriyama Akira first introduced the concept of powering up into a second level, it was awesome. Then a bunch of manga authors took a look at their own characters and decided they needed it too in order to introduce more challenging enemies. As soon as that decision is made for their main character, they take a look at all their other characters and decide they all need it too or else they would no longer have a place in the manga. So all of a sudden everyone and their mother in the manga can go Super Saiyan. In case you haven't gotten it yet, I'm talking about Bleach and Bankai. Or how about Prince of Tennis and Shaman King, hm? Now, before you say anything, I am aware that Luffy has recently achieved something called Second Gear. While I am worried that this will damage the quality of the manga, we still don't know what it is, and it could still be something Luffy just though up using his imagination. As long as everyone and their mother doesn't get it, its all good.

Right, so there's One Piece.

So how about my opinion on Naruto and Bleach?

Well I've been following both manga ever since their respective debuts on Shonen Jump (in Japan) all those years ago. A lot of things we see these days in manga is that they start off with this really awesome concept and hit you with a bang right in volume one. When the first chapter of Naruto first came out, I was floored by the awesome reinvention of the concept of a Ninja - and I was pretty confident it was going to move on to great things. However, in my honest opinion the quality of the manga has been ever declining at a steady rate since its debut. As soon as the Chuunin Exam fighting tournament (which was executed flawlessly) ended, I really lost faith. I was eager to see if Kishimoto-sensei had the ability to spin a great manga without having to rely on the tournament, and my expectations fell flat. Instead we are treated with an overemphasis of Naruto's "I'm so lonely" theme, and one of the most predictable character setups in manga history: Naruto-Jiraiya, Sasuke-Orochimaru, Sakura-Tsunade. In my honest opinion the only thing Naruto still has going for it is the quality of the fights - which are superb.

Now let's talk about Bleach. I remember way back when Zombie Powder was cancelled after four volumes, and finding out that the author has moved on to Bleach. I really didn't go in with very high expectations, which made the experience a lot better. For some reason I don't remember much of what happened before everyone went into Soul Society - so I guess I can say that everything in the manga prior to going into Soul Society is not memorable. There are two things that really bug me about Bleach: one is the overabundance of useless Shinigami, and the second is the overdramatizing of Bankai. I mean, don't you have to go through some super-insane life or death training to become a Shinigami? This is implied multiple times in the manga, yet there are hordes and hordes of Shinigami in the manga whose sole purpose is the get taken out in one hit, what's up with that? (I know, there are hordes and hordes of marines in One Piece who get taken out in one hit too, but you never hear anyone talking about insane life or death training to become a marine). Now what about Bankai? Didn't Byakuya say that anyone who achieves Bankai gets written down in Shinigami history forever? Isn't it some super special super secret ability? So how come everyone and their mother can do it? How come Ichigo and Renji both so conveniently obtain it right then and there in the middle of a catastrophic event where they somehow conveniently have enough time for training? Why the hell does that bald guy have it? It doesn't make any sense. Oh well.
shinwei said:
( Sorry for this big quote ^^;; )

I was just browsing the forum and i saw your post, i couldn't resist to register just to tell you how much i agree with you on every line you wrote !
At last someone who knows what he is talkin about !!

Alright i know i'm offtopic, i was just stopping by real quick ^^
( sorry for my english if i made some mistakes, i'm already gone --> )

Not really necessary to quote something that big when it's only a few posts back but I spoiler tagged it XD - anyway, it's cool you agree, but why not list some stuff you're reading too xD - GK

Snake1786

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Khaludh said:
DeathNote
Is DeathNot that good?? Where can I download it??

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Snake1786 said:
Is DeathNot that good?? Where can I download it??
DeathNote is quite interesting, it has an appealing story.
Mainly it's about a clever boy who finds a "Death Note", a book in which you can say that and how ppl die and they'll actually do. So, he wants to change the world for the better and begins to kill murderers. But of course the police won't let him doing so and try to catch him. And so on and so on. I don't want to spoil.
We have a subforum here: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?board=39.0
There you will get to know more about it.
Direct Download: http://www.stoptazmo.com/

As for what mangas I currently read: I recently bought two volumes of W-Juliet at ebay. It's from Emura.
This is a quite appealing Shoujo story. There is a boy who wants to be an actor but his father doesn't like that. So they make a deal. If he can finish high school pretending he is a girl, his father won't stand against him anymore. And then there is a girl who is quite tomboy-ish and finds out that he is a boy.....:)

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
DeathNote has a very appealing story, even though there isn't a single fight in it! It's all about the 'battle of wits' between the Kira ( killer using the death god's notebook ) and the police / L ( a masterdetective, real name unknown )... I've got most of the chapter from www.stoptazmo.com, but if you want quality chapters, go to www.townl.mangahelpers.com, though they only have some later chapters, from chapter 58 ( commonly seen as the end of the first part of the series, you'll find out why when you read it,  DO NOT SPOIL THIS ONE!) and further they have most of them...

Snake1786

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
Thanks a lot Khaludh and Miso.[br]Posted at: February 21, 2006, 07:43:54 PM_________________________________________________Man Deathe Note is really one of the best mangas I've ever read its awesome.

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Snake1786 said:
Man Deathe Note is really one of the best mangas I've ever read its awesome.
Yeah, but i knew that before ^^, The Death Note story really hooks you up, and you can't stop reading, but waiting for new chapters every week when you catch up isn't as easy as with Naruto, and some people tend to lose interest when they have to wait before reading more... Also, it's amazing how clever the guy who thought up this story is, everything fits in the big picture etc ;) And it manages to stay interesting with almost no action
( apart from Light and L punching eachother when they are chained together... ), almost no character deaths
and mostly talking...

Indeed, it's one of the best manga i've read!! :amuse

Hermie

vs. The World.
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Yeah, I'm reading through Death Note now, and I'm almost always on the edge of my chair. xD[br]Posted at: February 26, 2006, 11:39:30 PM_________________________________________________Gah, my plan was to spend the day watching the OP anime, and read Death Note when I was waiting for a d/l to finish. Instead I have been reading DN all day long and watched the occational OP ep. every now and then. xD

Galth

Puella Magi
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
That's so cool :D what chapter/page are you now?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Snake1786 said:
Thanks a lot Khaludh and Miso.[br]Posted at: February 21, 2006, 07:43:54 PM_________________________________________________Man Deathe Note is really one of the best mangas I've ever read its awesome.
Death Note is definitely a good story. Glad you're enjoying it - and don't forget we do have a Death Note section here, so enjoy :smile-big

Status
Not open for further replies.