What sounds good for the D. name?

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Rather than trying to figure out the mistery of the D. clan, what about thinking of what would sound good? It's not like when the series end, the Wikipedia page for the main character will change to Monkey DESTRUCTION Luffy or something like that. So it should sound appealing to some extend.

Given the emphasis on the D. letter, we should expect the name is written with alphabetic writing system and is not a Japanese word. All of the D. have English words in their names, and maybe that's a hint that it's an English word. And we already got too many animal names, so I wouldn't be counting on that.

I was expecting "Gol D." to form a derivation of the word Gold, but I don't think there is one that would sound good.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Australopithecus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
1,509
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
The transliteration of the Japanese word of destruction does not begin by a D, as far as I know. I think the word horobosu is the one that was used for destruction; unfortunately, it's a verb form, I believe. I don't ever remember that the noun form of destruction was used with a D at the beginning. Regardless, I find destruction to be a villainous word for Luffy. Doesn't sound like a good choice to me :)

All of the D. have English words in their names, and maybe that's a hint that it's an English word.
Ace's mother Portgas D. Rouge had a French name. Rouge means Red in English. Not all Ds have English words in their names.
 
Last edited:

Australopithecus

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
1,509
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I think I have a nice one.

Monkey Deicide Luffy.

A few chapters ago, it was revealed to us by Rocinante that D. was god's natural enemy. Deicide is a person who kills a god. Hence, Monkey Deicide Luffy.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I like Don. "Do things with a don!" Luffy and most Ds certainly are!
 

tony p

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
694
Reaction score
418
Gender
Male
Country
France
I like Don. "Do things with a don!" Luffy and most Ds certainly are!
Don comes from "Dominus" (« master » in latin) - thats a great suggestion - simple and meaningful

then it could be a nation which used to be pacific and got advanced knowledge. Master in knowledge ? ;)
 

Stiltzkin

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2014
Messages
328
Reaction score
130
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Don comes from "Dominus" (« master » in latin) - thats a great suggestion - simple and meaningful

then it could be a nation which used to be pacific and got advanced knowledge. Master in knowledge ? ;)
you mean the kingdom which created Poneglyph in Void Century?


as of "D" in D clans, I thought it was Delano from F. D. Roosevelt (Franklin Delano Roosevelt) :gwah​
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Don comes from "Dominus" (« master » in latin) - thats a great suggestion - simple and meaningful

then it could be a nation which used to be pacific and got advanced knowledge. Master in knowledge ? ;)
That could be cool, but I was hoping in the context of people who are crazy and are somehow finding ways to change the world one way or another. Like, Blackbeard, Roger, Luffy, Garp, Dragon, etc.
 

lildeboe16

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 24, 2014
Messages
33
Reaction score
6
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Any name that starts with a D that means god's enemy or slayer is I'm going for since Cora's revealing the D's being known as God's enemy
 

tony p

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
694
Reaction score
418
Gender
Male
Country
France
Yes D could be also the name of "the kingdom which created Poneglyph in Void Century"
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I think the D could be a Latin name though, or in any ancient language, if not dead.
 

tony p

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
694
Reaction score
418
Gender
Male
Country
France
I think the D could be a Latin name though, or in any ancient language, if not dead.
From Latin dominus, "lord", "head of household", akin to Spanish don and Italian dom; from domus, "house", + diminutive suffix -inus. Compare dominie.

Noun
"don"
A university professor, particularly one at Oxford or Cambridge. - a lecturer (= college teacher), especially at Oxford or Cambridge University in England

I think this is the closest meaning - a kingdom advanced in knowledge, we can assume than other kingdoms got rid off them by force. One piece could be the one Poneglyph which guides to the core of knowledge in the one piece world.
 
Last edited:

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
One Piece is not a Poneglyph or the Void Century story because Rayleigh accepted not to tell the Strawhats what One Piece is, but nonchalantly told them that the Roger Pirates unveiled the Void Century.
 

tony p

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2009
Messages
694
Reaction score
418
Gender
Male
Country
France
One Piece is not a Poneglyph or the Void Century story because Rayleigh accepted not to tell the Strawhats what One Piece is, but nonchalantly told them that the Roger Pirates unveiled the Void Century.
I just want to remind I made a suggestion. Let me be more specific, I think that the last Poneglyph as a lost "knowledge" could be the key to the One Piece (and the Void Century).
It may be the last Poneglyph or Poneglyph as a whole.
I suggest people with the "D" name possessed this advanced knowledge. My other assumption is that Robin may be a "D" as well.

Also, Rayleigh refusing to tell what One Piece and how they unveil the Void Century don't prove that One Piece is not related to Poneglyp. We can't affirm that, can we ?
 
Last edited:

Fox666

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 28, 2008
Messages
7,007
Reaction score
4,650
Country
Galactic Empire
Technically not, but it would be weird if that was the case.

Usopp: Does One Piece exist?
Luffy: Don't answer that!!!
Rayleigh: Fine. By the way, we figured out the Void Century.

Maybe I am being a little too simplistic? It would be a lot more complicated...
 

junjun2

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
717
Gender
Hidden
Country
Earth Kindom
D = representing the shape of the half moon
I often see this expectation on japanese forums.
This japanese website explains how often things related to the moon have been drawn in One Piece.
http://opwymtk.sakura.ne.jp/mystery/d.html
D = half human and half moon species???
 
Last edited:

Kracken

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 28, 2014
Messages
87
Reaction score
25
Gender
Female
Country
Australia
Monkey Death Luffy! Seriously though I think D will be a proper name instead of a meaningful word like destiny or dream, unless they were the Destiny Clan (which is possible. :^_^) I agree it will probably be an English name since the D is usually written the English way. The moon theory is a good possibility, I'm just a little put off by the thought of aliens in One Piece and Luffy and all the other D's being related to them :XD
 

Zinc

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Messages
694
Reaction score
285
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Monkey Diablo Luffy. Imo tho the D sounds cool just by itself
 

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2010
Messages
2,648
Reaction score
2,176
Gender
Female
Country
Water Tribe
Monkey Diablo Luffy. Imo tho the D sounds cool just by itself
I totally agree with you in which the initial D does sound nice by itself, instead of having a middle name (so to speak). Perhaps the author just wants to use the single alphabet to represent this special group or clan and the letter "D" may symbolise something to him in which we are not told yet.

Additionally, the letter "D" does rhyme beautifully in the names, like Monkey D Luffy, Trafalgar D. Water Law, and so on. :)
 

modoki

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2009
Messages
312
Reaction score
178
Age
41
Gender
Female
Country
Japan
Will of "Devil" ?
Will of THE Devil

Devil Fruit?
Powers of the Devil?

Devil fruit is probably grown on a Devil Tree.
The whole thing about not being able to swim and drown is that demons/devil can't swim. (Mentioned in a Bible as possible reference.)

Will of the devil must be something world changing.

Monkey Devil Luffy.
Oh boy, now I wonder why your Gear 2nd's appearance is red. Something tells me Goku's kaioken isnt the only reason :P
 
Last edited:
Top