Question - Where's the hype gone? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Where's the hype gone?

Spirit

Certified Sensei
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It may turn out that i'm the only one who feels this way but somehow I doubt it. In the months leading up to chapter 500 the hype was real. We died down a few times but things always got better. But to me it seems that ever since chapter 500 hit, the hype's been dying out. Each time we get a "hype" moment, it fades much more quickly. So what do you guys think? Do you manage to get just as hyped as always? Or do you feel the same as me and yearn for the old kind of hype?

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I feel the same tbh. I personally think it's the let down after a huge build up. The end product is always a bit flat. Take the Spriggans for example. Despite their unique powers and introductions, like Brandish and Bradman who were amazing initially, most failed to live up to the hype. Whether it's because Mashima "overhyped" them or my own expectations were way too high, i'm a bit jaded. Acnologia, August and E.N.D are basically my last hope and even then i'm still a bit hesitant to get too excited :XD

Brandish μ

The one with the mic
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It may turn out that i'm the only one who feels this way but somehow I doubt it. In the months leading up to chapter 500 the hype was real. We died down a few times but things always got better. But to me it seems that ever since chapter 500 hit, the hype's been dying out. Each time we get a "hype" moment, it fades much more quickly. So what do you guys think? Do you manage to get just as hyped as always? Or do you feel the same as me and yearn for the old kind of hype?
Didn't help that ch 500, and a fair few after it were bad/horrible.

There's also the hype of 500 - I mean there was a whole lot of hype just for that milestone number. Like a big event will occur.

Time wise, I think people can get burnt out with such a long arc, especially when nothing much good has happened. It's one of the reasons I didn't like Tartarus. I don't think anyone wants things dragged out.

I can remain pretty optimistic and hyped for chapters though, but yes I do yearn :)

Vici

Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I don't think you are all alone there @WithYouInSpirit tbh you probably can create a huge club with people that feeling the same..

I personally don't lose that hype because you may say I never hyped myself for anything or for a certain character. All spriggans are equal for me in terms of hype cause in the end they will all fall against FT characters with FT logic included ( we all know and knew that from the start of the Arc still, Hiro could make more weird team ups to take them down and give them more chances to live up to expectations of most readers ) I'm as hyped for August as I was for Neinhart fight...

Arc was very good for me until UO was cast ( well the slightly before the end of Bloodman fight :3c ) Hiro choosing to develop his this in the fight with spriggan with the same action doesn't help at all ( that fake drama dead just take something away from chapter/fight if characters are fine in next chapter :nerve )

Still, chapters overall are good with bad and good moments as always so we just have to wait what Hiro have in store for us..

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
not at all.

the only thing that can get me hyped anymore is this

other than that, no. I don't care about END at all.

oh and I'm waiting for Acnologia to fix this trashy arc once and for all.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
not at all.

the only thing that can get me hyped anymore is this

other than that, no. I don't care about END at all.

oh and I'm waiting for Acnologia to fix this trashy arc once and for all.
Amen to that. The only character I hold out any hope for now is Acno. Hopefully he doesn't get trashed

Gabo

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
I believe that you should not generalize, as for some the Hype has lowered because maybe they theorized something that was not fulfilled to them, others are still generating Hype, perhaps because they are not so demanding, or perhaps because they prefer to wait for See what the author has in store and not want to force something to go according to an arbitrary expectation.

In my case I catalog in the last, they preferred not to generate theories as far as possible and if I believe them, I did not try to force them to be forced, I prefer to wait to see that the author introduces us and with that I get almost Everything pleases me, if it is true that there are plot holes, but man, I think a lot of them will be solving with time, I do not expect everything to be clarified at once because that takes the joke out of a long series.

With the Spriggan, I believe that some people expected the Spriggan to act as they have not performed characters in the works of Mashima or Nekketsu, or as quasi-invincible beings, and say that they fell the Hype fell because they were defeated but ... Were the Spriggan defeated by a Random? That I know not, not one has fallen before any character Random, is more, each victory cost a lot of effort to the characters, and I think if the complaint is because of the number of episodes for fights, I remind you that Mashima mechanics always Have been short fights, the fact of lasting more than two episodes in some characters indicates that they are really strong, so at least in my view each of them has fulfilled, to consider them "weak" would mean that those who faced them are Weak characters, since it is to demerit the one who defeated them.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Amen to that. The only character I hold out any hope for now is Acno. Hopefully he doesn't get trashed
unfortunately, even that won't live up to its hype.

apparently, Natsu will get some half dragon half demon shit and will become OP asf so there goes Acnologia as well.

its so predictable.

thatsvicchan

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
As an active member of the FT tag on Tumblr I noticed this right away. That's basically what the others said- enemies, fights not living to the initial hype.

Nowadays only fans of x characters active in the manga are loud, but nothing compared to the hype FT chapters had before.

For example, the last time FT was in the popular tags of Tumblr was for chapter 501. Before it, it was in the trend every week... (especially when ships like Gruvia and Gajevy had their moments).

Colourings, edits and theories decreased and notes as well. I think this forum is always hyped but yeah the hype was different months ago... like the whole fandom was interested and not only a certain group of people.

From my pov, my hype died after 500... then it was hit or miss. I liked a chap and the next one killed my hype, literally ._.

The fact is that we are tired of Fodder12. Four chapters per Spriggan are a lot to take when there's a total of 12 especially if they lose their initial hype... that's why Irene's flashbacks were refreshing, we need a boom, something interesting etc. This arc just seems endless and repetitive.

Plus these are the months of finals, people have to study for exams and such... so a lot of factors combined.

Last edited:

Zelefomavis

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
France
I wished there were only 6 Spriggan but they lived up to their hype, and FT and other guilds needed to gang up on them to take them down, and by gang I mean at least two strong people, like erza and Laxus (not on same level but they both are strong compared to some) to take down one, and not plot making them do stupid stuff, like for god's sake Dimaria stopped everyone on the battlefield stripped one girl and was like oh I think I did enough I should let them run, because of emperor does not need FH at all, and he did not just declare war to Acnologia who could come from anywhere to kill us no let s take our time stripping girls) ....

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
As an active member of the FT tag on Tumblr I noticed this right away. That's basically what the others said- enemies, fights not living to the initial hype.

Nowadays only fans of x characters active in the manga are loud, but nothing compared to the hype FT chapters had before.

For example, the last time FT was in the popular tags of Tumblr was for chapter 501. Before it, it was in the trend every week... (especially when ships like Gruvia and Gajevy had their moments).

Colourings, edits and theories decreased and notes as well. I think this forum is always hyped but yeah the hype was different months ago... like the whole fandom was interested and not only a certain group of people.

From my pov, my hype died after 500... then it was hit or miss. I liked a chap and the next one killed my hype, literally ._.

The fact is that we are tired of Fodder12. Four chapters per Spriggan are a lot to take when there's a total of 12 especially if they lose their initial hype... that's why Irene's flashbacks were refreshing, we need a boom, something interesting etc. This arc just seems endless and repetitive.

Plus these are the months of finals, people have to study for exams and such... so a lot of factors combined.
So.. What you're saying is that it's 'changed' then. I feel the same. And I just don't like this kind of half more than the old kind of hype :nah

thatsvicchan

Reaction score
Country
Italy
So.. What you're saying is that it's 'changed' then. I feel the same. And I just don't like this kind of half more than the old kind of hype :nah
Yeah, basically... I know tumblr is populated mostly by fangirls but serious accounts exist and I think this site can be useful in this case, to notice the popularity of something. For example, the chapters following U1 were really popular: why would you think, if shipping wasn't there? People were just hyped about Irene, Gildarts coming back, Mavis being trapped in the guild, the whole battlefiled... less important events than what we have now. And who's caring about Irene and Erza, or Wendy being a "witch inside"? The majority are fans of the two. This is the difference I noticed, but as I said, in this forum everything is different but nevertheless the hype is decreased and you can tell by the number of pages a thread has.

Yunkers

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
To me, that arc is simply too long. I'm just tired of the whole Spriggan plot and I'm waiting for main plot to advance. And to be honest, the war is pointless now. It should be all about getting/defending Fairy Heart, now everyone is doing what they want and don't care about Mavis (who is in a battlefield, waiting for capture!). I think, if there were 6 Spriggans not 12 to begin with, the arc would be better. I hope that END awakening will bring hype back :)

T.C.

Reaction score
Country
Band of the Hawks 2
Yep the hype died and thats to be expected when you have a bunch of pathetic shits like the spriggan failing to live up to expectations one after the other. Zeref is a whiny little lamb so there is not much to expect from him and now even Acnologia gets shit on. The main character wank has grown to unseen levels and badass characters like Laxus and Gildarts are pitted against fodder.