Question - Which characters had the most disappointing treatment? | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Question Which characters had the most disappointing treatment?

The greatest disappointment?

• Jellal

• Mira

• Gods of Ishgar

• Spriggan 12

• Zeref

• Others

Results are only viewable after voting.

Biri Biri

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
There are some characters in FT whose stock has taken a nosedive. The world of magic is harsh, and fortunes turn in the blink of an eye. Some who didn't came close to living up to the hype, and others who didn't even have a proper chance to begin with.

Which of these have been the greatest disappointment in your opinion?

Jellal

If you are too young to remember, or only got into FT not long ago, there was a time when Jellal's fan base seriously rivals that of Laxus'. Seems hard to believe now, but there were good reasons why Jellal was the shits back then. Together with Ultear, Jellal was the first recurring character to appear in the manga even before Natsu or Lucy did. The closest thing to an archmage, Jellal was a true evil SOB then. He was skilled and powerful with his heavenly body magic, could trap and ensnare with his dangerous dark magic, cunning, a good actor who could play the victim card, but ruthless and decisive when it mattered.

Shortly after the guild wars with Phantom Lord was over, Jellal and his underlings captured Erza and brought her back to the ToH. A plan has already been set in motion many years back when Jellal, under the disguise of his thought projection, had infiltrated the magic council and earned a place as a wizard saint (it was a big thing then). He then managed to get most of the councilors on his side to manipulate them in firing the Etherion, and would've achieve his objective had a certain dragon slayer not attain his super saiyan mode in dragon force. In the midst of these, Jellal also became the first antagonist to kill a notable good guy.

When Jellal was reintroduced in the middle of the Oracion Seis arc, the rape face he worn previously was soon replaced with a sorrowful one. Little did we know, Jellal was neutered during his comatose state. The guy was still powerful, but the edge and mystique his character possessed has completely vanished. Apart from making use of the excuse of redemption to simp for Erza, the guy has since been reduced to a shadow of his former self.

Mira

Yes, it might be hard to believe too. But there was a time when Erza vs Mira was the second most popular discussion after Jellal vs Laxus.

When Mira first appeared, her affable nature stood out amongst a bunch of ragtag misfits. Then during the BoFT arc, Freed who has been playing most of the FT members like a fiddle with his abilities, suddenly found himself on the receiving end of the wrath of Mira when she awoke her powers for the first time in a long time. She unleashed the power of an entire river at Freed, and ended him with an attack of dark energy blast that many in the city saw. It was one of the most badass moment of the distant past. To say that was a pleasant surprise would be an understatement. In a time when Erza was starting to terrorize the readers with her BS, this quickly cemented Mira as the glimpse of hope that we could place our hopes on to end the scarlet cancer's reign of terror.

Little did we found out that did was nothing but a scheming ploy to crush the hopes and dreams of the readers in a slow, agonizing death. When Lisanna was revealed to be alive in the Edolas arc, many assumed that Mira would finally be able to forgo the guilt that was holding her back all these while and elevate herself to greater heights. And then, she got deceived and knocked out by Elfman and Ever in the very next arc. To compound misery, she then failed to beat Azuma who had yet to merge with the Tenrou tree, as Lisanna and the fans erupted in despair. Azuma, then merged with the tree, skyrocketed in power, and got defeated by none other than Erza, in ludicrous fashion.

Alas, what goes around comes around. She, who dished out a curbstomp to Freed, got curbstomped by Seilah. Mira was already having an incredibly difficult time fighting Seilah, who was doing nothing but using telekinesis to pelt her with books. She then decides to use Satan soul Sitri, and Seilah responded by going limit release and decks her with a blitz so strong that Mira is actually forced out of her transformation. She had to resort to using her brother to incapacitate her foe, which sparked the question if Elfman's offensive strength has surpassed that of his sister. Meanwhile, Seilah's dominatrix lover got her ass handed to her by her eternal rival Erza in yet another ludicrous manner.

The pill was made tougher to swallow in the 100YQ sequel when despite the numerical advantage, Mira could not defeat Lucy. Then, the majority of her fight with Diabolos was not shown before getting off-panel'd by Gray. Rather than getting our doubts cleared, Mira's performance has since raised even greater doubts than before.

Gods of Ishgar

After Makarov and Jose's fight at the climax of the Phantom Lord arc, many guesses have been made regarding the identity of the other Wizard Saints. We discovered two of them in Jellal's thought projection and the humble Jura. And this benchmark the saints to be at least as strong as the average FT S-class mage, who has extraordinary level of strength compared to most other guilds. Soon after the 7 year timeskip, we were thrust into the GMG arc where FT tried to reclaim their position as the strongest guild of Ishgar. We were treated to the revelation that Jura has grown significantly more powerful, as his feats easily outclassed his peers and together with Jellal and Laxus, were in a tier of their own.

Then, a bombshell was dropped. Jura remarked that he has attained the rank of the 5th-ranked Wizard Saint, and there was a massive gulf in class between he and the four saints ranked ahead of him. They were known as the Gods of Ishgar, and all the readers were treated to was their silhouette. This sparked the fan base into a frenzy then, as speculation was flying around. Theories were made regarding their appearances, identity, powers and relative strength compared to others. 'Surely they are stronger than Gildarts?', was the common belief then.

Well, some things are just meant to be. As long a time it took to introduce them, the same could not be said of the alarming speed they went down. It's like they were just . . . gone. Gone like the wind. Nothing left. Zilch. Nada. Hold on a sec, who are they again?

Spriggan 12

You know it. You saw it coming. Yes, this list cannot be completed without the almighty Spriggan 12.

The Shields of the Spriggan was comprised of the twelve strongest mages of the Alvarez empire who served as the bodyguards of Zeref. The stakes were at an all-time high with the fearsome country trying to expand the lands of Alakitasia. Which turns out be a facade for Zeref's hidden agenda of obtaining Fairy Heart to create a universe with an alternate timeline. It was Mashima's attempt to replicate the world war. Except that Alvarez turned out to not be the Nazis, but rather the French.

In a shounen setting, they were doomed to failure. They can be forgiven for losing the war. However, it was their performance and association with Mashima's lackadaisical writing in the final arc that gave them no chance. Most of them were arrogant, complacent, and certainly not the sharpest tool in the shed. In their defense, some of them did got bad match ups in their fights. However, the hallmark of a competent fighter is their resourcefulness to pull off a victory within reason despite poor match ups (e.g. Gray vs Ultear/Rufus/Silver). The Spriggans were overly reliant on their powers, and when the protagonists managed to find a way to work around their effects, their inability to adapt, mediocre durability and tendency to shit their pants meant they suffer a meltdown before getting destroyed.

In hindsight, 12 villains in one arc were too much for Mashima to juggle. It seems to be a numbers game at the end, and he decided to go with quantity over quality. The Spriggans could each have their own background so they are more relatable to the readers, strike a better balance between hax and physical competency rather than swinging too much to one end at the expense of the other. They could pose a genuine threat by winning the crucial fights. One of the best scenes in the Alvarez arc was when Sabertooth suffered a crushing defeat and were crucified and paraded. And when Invel froze Magnolia and Erza and co. overlooked the remains of a frozen wasteland. It shows the territorial capitulation to the readers.

Unfortunately, the Spriggan were nothing more than appetizers to Acnologia the main threat. Whatever happened to the three-way war that was hyped up?

Zeref

He comes as a package together with his team of bodyguards. Except in Zeref's case, the rot has been longer. Far longer.

One of the reasons why I could never take him seriously was his appearance. He doesn't look anything like a villain. Zeref doesn't inspire confidence, fear, strength or courage. He look like a pre-pubescent boy who has only just discovered the birds and the bees for the first time in his life. In comparison, Acno was a good throwback to the Conan the barbarian with his exotic features and primalistic swagger.

Not only does Zeref not look the part as one of the main antagonist, he does not act the part either. His behaviour is questionable, and many times when he speak, his words are not concise. Zeref is constantly flip-flopping around his intentions, and can't make up his mind what he truly wants. When he was introduced, he swiftly lost to Ultear on Tenrou island in an anti-climatic fashion. Much of his mystique disintegrated that day. He then awaken and decided to kill Hades and the rest on the airship, just because. His actions were often counter-intuitive and rarely given an explanation that we can relate to. It just felt like anything he does that is contradictory, which is everything, can be conveniently chalked up to the nature of his curse/magic. That's lazy writing. And when it keeps getting repeated, things got really tedious.

With Zeref, you soon dread seeing him and getting caught up in yet another one of his melodramatic emotional turmoil. I found myself thinking 'Ugh, not this crap again' when he spirals into his negative nancy syndrome. And for a longest recurring villain that ties in to so many of the key events that has unfolded in the series, that is simply not good enough. When I see Acno, I think 'Awesome, shit's about to go down'. The difference is heaven and earth. For all the incredible hype Zeref had, when everything was settled, he left a lot more to be desired.

Thoughts?

Seahorse

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
Mashima forgot about obra
Yep, that seems to be the case. It was such a shame. Another great character wasted. Its relationship with Zeref was closer to anyone that's not Mavis or Natsu.

Anime VORTEX

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Mashima forgot about obra
Obra was just a spy for Zeref, I don't think Hiro forgot about him it just there is no role left for obra

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I forgot him as well hence i dont anymore who that is
Obra was the puppet guy in Raven Tail, And was later appeared to be a small creature that was actually a spy for Zeref, People believed he was spying on Fairy tail to get info about Fairy heart but that wasn't confirmed.
Obra was just a spy for Zeref, I don't think Hiro forgot about him it just there is no role left for obra
Many people talked about Obra back in the day, They made theories about him and Zeref but Mashima never bothered and he deffo forgot about him.

That's the last thing he said before being brushed off from the manga, since he got forgotten.

Seahorse

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
That's the last thing he said before being brushed off from the manga, since he got forgotten.
Heck, I don't even remember that he could talk
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ivan Dreyar.

Makarov's son. Laxus' father. The only man who was able to obtain a DS lacrima, a thing we still don't have a clue where to get up to now.

I don't think many people remember that on one of the title pages in early arcs, it was written that Gildarts considered Ivan his rival. Then dude just turned out to be a complete joke. I mean, how tf could Gildarts take such a fodder character so seriously? I thought their relationship was like Shanks and Mihawk, but it appears that they were more like Shanks and Buggy lol.

Gladiolus

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Ivan Dreyar.

Makarov's son. Laxus' father. The only man who was able to obtain a DS lacrima, a thing we still don't have a clue where to get up to now.

I don't think many people remember that on one of the title pages in early arcs, it was written that Gildarts considered Ivan his rival. Then dude just turned out to be a complete joke. I mean, how tf could Gildarts take such a fodder character so seriously? I thought their relationship was like Shanks and Mihawk, but it appears that they were more like Shanks and Buggy lol.
I lowkey think Mashima forgot about Ivan, cause his character never got a conclusion and never appeared ever again and was only given small mentions afterwards. Since he was neither jailed or killed, we can assume he's currently roaming Ishgar doing God know what. I never felt he ever gave up in his goal to get Lumen Histoire even after his massive L against Laxus, so, even if Ivan is far from being a favorite of mine, his sudden disappearance from the series it's something that botters me a lot even years after the GMG arc ended. Same for Obra.

Last edited:

Cat Sidhe26

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Heck, I don't even remember that he could talk
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ivan Dreyar.

Actually Gildarts’s character bio mentioned that Gildarts hates Ivan.

Seahorse

Reaction score
Country
Taiwan
They wouldn't be fodder . lucy would have beat a major villian
But... Didn't she fucking beat Acnologia? Though it did take the whole continent's magic power, it was her Fairy Sphere that's the most crucial thing to take the dragon down.

Karna

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Gray and Gajeel
While rivalry is healthy with Natsu, it's just meh at this point.

If I were Hiro, I would have made the three of them comparable in power.

WoWfan

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
But... Didn't she fucking beat Acnologia? Though it did take the whole continent's magic power, it was her Fairy Sphere that's the most crucial thing to take the dragon down.
That and motion sickness to it can take affect, and for Natsu and co to finish him off.

Rigel

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
For someone who should be as relevant as Natsu in terms of prominence, I would say that Lucy is the most mistreated character in this manga. She is a main character similar to him, and is treated as if she were a secondary character. Wendy and Erza completely overshadow her.

Vis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Everyone who's not in Team Natsu, Gajeel and Laxus.

Sevently

Reaction score
Country
France
August = Should have die against Acnologia in a close fight against his human form.
Eileen = Should have died saving Erza from Acnologia
Serena = Should have joined Alvarez as a spy for the interests of Ishgar and should have teamed with Gildarts against August
Orga = Should have been Sabertooth strongest, and a revelant characters in Alvarez.
4WS = Deserve to defeat at least 1 Spriggan
Jose should have come back during Alvarez to face a Spriggan with Makarov.

Shoutmon

Reaction score
Country
Antarctica
Acnologia.

The manga is still hyping him up as this legendary anomaly that not even the strongest dragon could defeat, with Ignia still using him as a benchmark to his own power. The thing is, he actually lived up to this hype for most of the original manga.

He was a stoic badass that didn't bother speaking to humans as he viewed them as vermin, took no damage from the entire Fairy Tail guild on Tenrou, nor from Igneel's roar during the Tartaros arc, and executed Serena before the latter could even finish his sentence, causing August to shit himself. All of this changed when he met Irene.

He, for some reason, gave her the time of day by stopping and conversing with her (despite not even glancing at August), got immediately excited after getting hit by her surprise attack and failed to leave a scratch on her with his counter-attack, then got taken out for a big chunk of the arc by her. When he got back, it was as if something had snapped. He went from badass to crazy and trampled Irene's corpse while laughing maniacally. It was then revealed that he had an innate advantage against all magical attacks, instead of just being so extremely powerful that they couldn't do any damage to him regardless, and he proceeded to get clowned/embarrassed by both Jellal and Christina.

After getting his unnecessary powerup, he still continued to flounder. His planet-spanning attack didn't destroy anything of note, he failed to catch the fodders he was chasing and he got pushed around by Erza, while his mental side's craziness got boosted up from a 10 to an 11. It was so bad that even Natsu was feeling sorry for him before punching him into oblivion.

Gray and Gajeel are also treated like trash lately, especially Gray.

Last edited:

Anime VORTEX

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Acnologia.

The manga is still hyping him up as this legendary anomaly that not even the strongest dragon could defeat, with Ignia still using him as a benchmark to his own power. The thing is, he actually lived up to this hype for most of the original manga.

He was a stoic badass that didn't bother speaking to humans as he viewed them as vermin, took no damage from the entire Fairy Tail guild on Tenrou, nor from Igneel's roar during the Tartaros arc, and executed Serena before the latter could even finish his sentence, causing August to shit himself. All of this changed when he met Irene.

He, for some reason, gave her the time of day by stopping and conversing with her (despite not even glancing at August), got immediately excited after getting hit by her surprise attack and fails to leave a scratch on her with his counter-attack, then got taken out for a big chunk of the arc by her. When he got back, it was as if something had snapped. He went from badass to crazy and trampled Irene's corpse while laughing maniacally. It was then revealed that he had an innate advantage to all magical attacks, instead of just being so extremely powerful that they couldn't do any damage to him regardless, and he proceeded to get clowned/embarrassed by both Jellal and Christina.

After getting his unnecessary powerup, he still continued to flounder. His planet-spanning attack didn't destroy anything of note, he failed to catch the fodders he was chasing and he got pushed around by Erza, while his mental side's craziness got boosted up from a 10 to an 11. It was so bad that even Natsu was feeling sorry for him before punching him into oblivion.

Gray and Gajeel are also getting treated like trash lately, especially Gray. I still can't believe they got shat on like that during the Misaki fight.
Nah Acnologia was done right for most of the series, just needed a little more expansion on his backstory more showcase of his human form capabilities

Kurumi Tokisaki

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
August = Should have die against Acnologia in a close fight against his human form.
How can this happen? For this happen August have to be atleast >>>>> Acnologia given innate resistance to magical damage. How can he damage him otherwise. He'll have overload Acno with magic or else August have use curse abilities which he can't. Maybe fight like Merc by using magic to control natural resources or something.

grey matter

Reaction score
Country
India
How can this happen? For this happen August have to be atleast >>>>> Acnologia given innate resistance to magical damage. How can he damage him otherwise. He'll have overload Acno with magic or else August have use curse abilities which he can't. Maybe fight like Merc by using magic to control natural resources or something.
I assume he's talking about an alternate version where Acno isn't the "magic dragon" and where the power difference wasn't so high that Acno can basically one shot everyone in Alverez