Discussion Who is stronger than Luffy?

Shinobuden

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
42
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Considering the level of strength Lucci was at two years ago I don't think much will have changed by now, Luffy has gone through drastic changes these past two years and he's become a completely different person in terms of strength. *If* they were to fight again, I imagine the outcome would be the same as with the Pacifista when the Straw Hats met up on Sabaody again, one hit KO. And as far as I have seen Lucci doesn't seem to particularly hold a grudge against Luffy, at least not as much as he does against Spandam.

I actually think Luffy would have quite a good chance of beating Magellan as he is now. Given his two years of training and having unlocked the full potential of his Haki, and the fact he now has an immunity to a very large sortiment of poisons (he was unfazed by Hyouzou's poison just after they arrived at Fishman Island). Then again, Magellan may still have a lot of different poisons that Luffy hasn't been struck with yet...more specifically Venom Demon. If Haki such as armament is able to protect him from the poison that would greatly increase Luffy's chances of winning but we haven't seen the full extent of that ability yet. I personally doubt they'll cross paths again, to me it's more of a what if.

Other than that I think there are lots of characters that are stronger than Luffy, and not just the known ones. They're in the New World now, and it's not exactly a walk in the park there. He may have become monstrously strong in these past two years and his Haki will give him a huge advantage against other devil fruit users but he's bound to run into someone as strong as he is at some point.
 
Last edited:

Page356

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
144
Reaction score
32
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think he should be able to take most anyone besides most of the emperors and some of their captains, and maybe an admiral or two. This is all just speculation but I think Luffy was probably a top tier supernova and some of them seem to be doing fine in the new world, even openly attacking Big Mam's ships. If they have gotten that powerful then with the specialized training that Luffy has recieved he should be able to handle just about anything. Plus Reyleigh left early during the training, so there must have been some reason he'd do that, so perhaps Luffy is stronger than we think.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Attacking a ship full of fodders is not "doing well" in the New World. :/ And it's not a provocation since Big Mom EATS her fodders.
About Magellan...HE was defeated by Shiryu. So there must be some way to defeat him and not by immunity to poison exactly.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
This is kind of a strange thread title. Should I make a list?
 

Shinobuden

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
42
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
About Magellan...HE was defeated by Shiryu. So there must be some way to defeat him and not by immunity to poison exactly.
Shiryu has been shown to be pretty darn strong and fast, that and he uses a sword. He most likely wounded Magellan without physically touching him like Luffy did with his fists. That's a pretty big difference.

And I never said immunity to his poison by itself would be enough to take him down, I merely said it would give Luffy more of an advantage if they were to fight again. Considering the vast amounts of poisons Magellan uses in his attacks and the immunities Luffy's body has built up for them. Then again, the poisons his attacks uses are generated at random and there are so many of them the doctors in Impel Down can't even make any antidotes for it so it's possible it wouldn't change anything. But it's an advantage nonetheless, IF he were to be struck by the same poisons again.
 
Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
24,937
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Well, the issue with magellan is not IMO to kill him per say. The thing is to kill him while staying alive yourself. Given the circumstances I would think that crocodile or jinbe would have indeed defeated magellan had they fought him (fishman karate or dehydration would do wonders against him IMO) however given the wide area of effect of magellan's abilities and the fact that the prison is a relatively close space which works to magellan's advantage it is unlikely either of them would have walked out of that one without being poisoned.
 

Shinobuden

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
42
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
^
Good point. Still doesn't quite explain how Shiryu survived the massive amount of poison though, if he now was poisoned during his fight with Magellan. I doubt Ivankov felt generous and dug into his cell then gave him some hormones to get through it. And as has been stated, the doctors wouldn't have been much help either.

Could always have been a non-lethal amount of poison, just enough to incapacitate him maybe?
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
24,937
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Was it actually said shiryu was the one who defeated magellan? I don't think that was actually said.... More so, magellan fighting a level 6 prisoner on his own and losing is not that far fetched. Gear 2 luffy was actually capable enough of punching magellan which means in the grand scheme of things magellan was hardly powerful physically (if anything, he was not worth a damn physically if a rookie could take him on in that department). Level 6 had a number of people who the world government deemed to dangerous to even keep their names in history, there were probably a number of fruit users and people with insane skills there. If level 6 broke out there I could easily see magellan getting killed even if his overly hax ability would result in him taking a few guys with him. Its not like his ability can be countered with willpower or strength, even WB in his prime would die from poison just as the next guy...
 

Shinobuden

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
42
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
That's a pretty good question now that you mention it. I was always pretty sure Shiryu defeated Magellan, but I'm not so sure now. I don't know if there is anyone else in Impel Down besides Magellan who has the power to defeat Shiryu, other than Level 6 prisoners. It is after all an unseen battle, all we know is that Shiryu was locked up in Level 6 which means Magellan must have won. Either that or Shiryu was too weakened after their fight to put up any further resistance.

I agree with Magellan not being too strong physically, and Luffy's attacks did a good number on him when they first connected but it didn't take him long to recover from them either. That and after he defeated Luffy he didn't seem to be suffering from his injuries that much as he just casually walked away. I do agree that if enough firepower were to hit Magellan he would lose pretty easily though.

As for Whitebeard, it took a lot to kill him. It took numerous gunshots, stabs, cannon balls, half his head being ripped off then a barrage from Blackbeard's underlings to kill him...and this was when he was old. While it may be true that no matter how strong you are you can't defend yourself from poison, I doubt Whitebeard in his prime would be done in that easily from poison. But it's all up to speculation really.
 

Zehahaha

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
5,714
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Shiryu has been shown to be pretty darn strong and fast, that and he uses a sword. He most likely wounded Magellan without physically touching him like Luffy did with his fists. That's a pretty big difference.
He did touch him, or else Luffy wouldn't have poison in his hands.
 

Shinobuden

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
42
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
He did touch him, or else Luffy wouldn't have poison in his hands.
I would say read my post again more thoroughly, since you obviously didn't. But, I'll elaborate just for you.

Shiryu uses a sword, thus he could fight Magellan without physically touching him with any of his body parts (such as fists, as said above). Luffy, on the other hand couldn't since he uses his fists to fight, and had to physically touch Magellan and in the process poisoning himself. Thus, Shiryu had more of a chance of beating Magellan than Luffy, since Shiryu uses an otherwise inanimate object, a weapon. Of course, the sword could be poisoned in theory but that's another subject of discussion. So, to summarize...I didn't say Luffy *didn't* touch him, I said Magellan didn't since he uses a sword.
 

Zehahaha

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 7, 2009
Messages
8,501
Reaction score
5,714
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Aw shit my mistake, I don't disagree with you about Shiryuu thing, misread the Luffy part, sorry
 

Shinobuden

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 1, 2012
Messages
42
Reaction score
2
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Aw shit my mistake, I don't disagree with you about Shiryuu thing, misread the Luffy part, sorry
No sweat. I realize I write a bit incoherently sometimes, so you're not really at fault. I need to realize that just because I understand what *I* mean doesn't mean everyone else will. Didn't mean to come across as a douche there. I'll try to be more specific in the future.
 

sudhush

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Nov 30, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Country
India
Aokiji / Akainu / Kizaru / Mihawk / Doflamingo / Garp / Sengoku / Yonkou / Rayleigh / Marco / Smoker
are indeed stronger the Luffy
But What about the Escaped prisoners from Impel Down???
According to Sengoku's Expression when mentioned it was very Bad.
I think there are lot of Strong People out there not known to yet
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wha

ish3

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2007
Messages
455
Reaction score
143
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There is no proof Smoker is stronger but he was unable to be on par with him his training would be pointless they're not showing his character for no reason I feel anyway. All the others you mentioned before are fine though as we haven't seen Luffy's full strength either. Nor the crew. Most of the mid tiers at the war and high tiers are stronger now as of two years after the timeskip well have to see. I doubt we'll see him lose fights but he'll escape and fight on par if not defeat a lot of people. He lost a ton of battles after Rob Lucci. I don't think we'll be seeing him lose unless specific circumstances permit him to give himself up for the crew to live in the end of the manga. He will have rough life and death battles though I can't wait. :)
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,326
Reaction score
24,937
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Smoker stronger than luffy? Why? I am sure he is pretty damn strong but 2 years ago the only thing he realistically had over luffy was the fact that he was intangible. I don't think that is going to be an issue nowadays. I do think that safe for the intangible thing smoker and luffy were actually equals 2 years ago....
 

THM Nindo

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
4,153
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Lol about Rob Lucci.
I really hope we never see him again.

There are plenty of people stronge than Luffy right now, but he wiill end up surpassing them all soon.
The thing is... since he probably won't go and train again until the end of the manga, I don't see how he can suddenly become better.

This manga is different from the other...
It's not like he could train to learn FRS (like in Naruto), or stop time and train to become a god (like in Bleach).

In any case, he beat people that were far stronger than him in the first part of the manga (Crocodile, Enel), so he might be able to beat stronger people in Part 2 as well...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
There are plenty of characters stronger than Luffy, my question is what difference does it make? His strength, or lack thereof, in comparison to other characters has hardly effected the plot or outcome of fights thus far. Nor will it likely be a deciding factor later in the series. When it comes time to fight, he will fight irregardless of how much stronger his opponent is. Databook stats and special techniques don't play a large role in One Piece fights.
 

Momotaros

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
83
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
United States
There are plenty of characters stronger than Luffy, my question is what difference does it make? His strength, or lack thereof, in comparison to other characters has hardly effected the plot or outcome of fights thus far. Nor will it likely be a deciding factor later in the series. When it comes time to fight, he will fight irregardless of how much stronger his opponent is. Databook stats and special techniques don't play a large role in One Piece fights.
Agreed, but I do feel that special techniques do play a large role in One Piece fights, as opposed to dumb power-ups. For me, the special attacks unique to the characters are what drive the fights. It's really cool seeing Luffy use his iconic attacks against new foes as well as new attacks that he just made up or have been working.
 

Surprise

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2011
Messages
54
Reaction score
7
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I think that gear 2 plus kenbunshoku haki could help luffy not get poisoned by anything he doesn't have an immunity to, and busoshoku haki could let luffy punch magellan without getting poisoned, it has that property. I'm going to give the edge to luffy but it wouldn't be a blowout
 
Top