Discussion Who is your ideal hero?

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
1,475
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
Aside from the heroine, we will also have the hero in shoujo/josei, especially for the romance ones. These heroes are usually the (possible) love interests of the heroine in romance shoujo/josei. In the non-romance ones, he is, literally, the hero of the story. Since we already have a thread for ideal heroine, now it's time for ideal hero!

What makes a hero ideal in your eyes? What traits or characteristics does he possess? Does he belong to a particular type of shoujo/josei hero? Is he the tall, dark, and handsome type? Or is he just your everyday loyal childhood friend type?

For me, I usually like the hero who is caring and understanding. He may have flaws, but he learns how to deal with them. It will be a big plus if he is also handsome (of course~). For some reason, I usually fall for the childhood friend type, because he fits the description of my ideal hero above, and he also evokes the sympathy due to his love usually unrequited or unnoticed by the heroine. There are times when I like the calculating/mischievous type who is intelligent and cunning. :3c

Zen from Akagami no Shirayukihime is one of my ideal shoujo/josei heroes. He is kind and caring though has the habit of sneaking away. He's really lovable. :blush
I also root for Taichi from Chihayafuru. He really fits the usual childhood friend type. :derp I also find myself to like Arata. Though he's also a childhood friend, but he doesn't fit the usual type. He's more of the innocently-looking-but-is-actually-cunning type, and that's why I like thim!
Yanagi from Last Game is also an ideal one. At first glance, a bit too ideal, perhaps. He is handsome, smart, rich, and nice. Who doesn't want a guy like that? Then, we see that he is arrogant. Oh well, that's to be expected. But then again, though he has a big head, he doesn't look down at people! He is willing to work hard though he doesn't have to, so that he won't take things for granted. Let me ask again, who doesn't want a guy like that? I haven't even talked about his other good qualities.
For the non-romance shoujo/josei hero, I really love Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou. He's such a good boy: kind, polite, patient, etc. He really is a rare type, especially in real world (:scry). He has a dark past, but now he's working to face them and I really love it how it makes him a better person.

Whew. I get carried away. Now that I've written so long, it's your turn. Who is your ideal hero?
 
Last edited:

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Zen from Akagami no Shirayukihime is one of my ideal shoujo/josei heroes. He is kind and caring though has the habit of sneaking away. He's really lovable. :blush
Check. My ideal hero. Slightly a bad boy but knows when to act properly. So we can go on a crazy trip together but also can be serious when necessary. And he's handsome. And is a good swordsman. And kind. And cute. Maaaaaaaaaann, I so love Zen!

I also root for Taichi from Chihayafuru. He really fits the usual childhood friend type. :derp I also find myself to like Arata. Though he's also a childhood friend, but he doesn't fit the usual type. He's more of the innocently-looking-but-is-actually-cunning type, and that's why I like thim!
Check! In case of Chihayafuru I'm all rootin' for Taichi, but both boys are actually interesting. Arata is the kind of person I think would have a hard time opening himself up to others if they can't appreciate karuta, but I think his deep interest in karuta makes him so charming. He's shy so I'll have a slightly hard time with him, I think. Taichi, on the other hand... feels a bit on a higher level, exclusive, haha. But the good part about him is that he is very hard-working. He may lack skill but he pays it twice with hard work. That is something commendable for me, and I think I'll have a good life with him as my husband. <33333333

For the non-romance shoujo/josei hero, I really love Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou. He's such a good boy: kind, polite, patient, etc. He really is a rare type, especially in real world (:scry). He has a dark past, but now he's working to face them and I really love it how it makes him a better person.
Check! Natsume is very soft and warm. Sometimes it makes me feel scared to touch him like he may break or something, but he has a very kind heart. And knows when to be funny too. I think I prefer him as a brother, would be fun. :P
 

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
1,475
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
Check. My ideal hero. Slightly a bad boy but knows when to act properly. So we can go on a crazy trip together but also can be serious when necessary. And he's handsome. And is a good swordsman. And kind. And cute. Maaaaaaaaaann, I so love Zen!
We all fall for this type, aren't we? Not the actual bad boy, but only slightly bad. Life will be a lot more interesting with guys like this.

Check! In case of Chihayafuru I'm all rootin' for Taichi, but both boys are actually interesting. Arata is the kind of person I think would have a hard time opening himself up to others if they can't appreciate karuta, but I think his deep interest in karuta makes him so charming. He's shy so I'll have a slightly hard time with him, I think. Taichi, on the other hand... feels a bit on a higher level, exclusive, haha. But the good part about him is that he is very hard-working. He may lack skill but he pays it twice with hard work. That is something commendable for me, and I think I'll have a good life with him as my husband. <33333333
If I have to divide them into types, Taichi is more of a boyfriend type, while Arata is good husband material. :XD

Check! Natsume is very soft and warm. Sometimes it makes me feel scared to touch him like he may break or something, but he has a very kind heart. And knows when to be funny too. I think I prefer him as a brother, would be fun. :P
Well, Natsume is lot stronger now, so he will not break. I actually feel a bit of a failure as a woman since Natsume is prettier than me. He has that calming aura, so maybe when you just need someone to listen to you or accompany you when you're being emotional, he'll be a good choice.
Yeah, he'll be a nice big brother. One that probably will spoil his lil sister a bit. :luv
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
We should have like, a poll. :p let me check to see what common shoujo hero stereotypes we have...

---------- Post added at 03:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Okay, Maybe not a poll. But this is rather interesting! I poked around TV tropes a bit and weeded out the common shoujo love interests.

Bastard Boyfriend- whose defining trait is that he is cold, cruel, or abusive to his romantic partner, in a manner intended to be kinky and appealing to the audience.
Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend- hahahaha

Beast and Beauty/Divine Date- The guy is a monster/demi god/god/kami/spirit/supernatural

The Charmer- Cocky, cheeky and devil-may-care, he's the type of guy you can't help but like, even as he's wrapping you around his little finger.

Troubled but cute- The one with the dark and troubled past- since girls want bad boys

Deconfirmed Bachelor- the one that says "I'll never get married" or "I'll never be in a serious relationship" but suddenly gets smitten by the heroine and his bachelor days are over in a flash.

Nice Guy- Who often times never gets the girl, a.k.a. Romantic Runner Up

Insecure Love Interest- "I'm not good enough". A form of Heroic Self-Deprecation where a character thinks they're not good enough for their Love Interest. They may think this while they're actually in a relationship with said person (in which case they may break it off "for the other person's good"), or they may avoid pursuing them in the first place.

Knight in Shining Armor- fights baddies, woos ladies without deliberately seducing them, behaves honorably, and saves the day

Master of the Mixed Message- Every once in a while, he'll do something incredibly romantic, and then turn it into a Just Friends or something similar. He may flirt with her often, but make it seem like it's playful and doesn't mean anything. Often he'll ask her out on a date, and after she accepts reveal it's a group affair, even though the conversation beforehand hinted it might be intimate one on one time. Spends the entire time straddling the line between showing genuine romantic interest and being indifferent, which is incredibly aggravating

Princely Young Man- being a young male of elite status, either by wealth, social position or sheer force of personality and popularity. There are a few common types, though how strictly a character adheres to the types varies. These types include a Prince Charming type, an Ice King type, a Gentleman Type and a Spoiled Brat type.

Sugar and Ice Personality (Kuudere)- lit. sometimes sweet, sometimes cold (not to be confused with Tsundere- for sugar and fire)



Discuss away! :cookiehand
 

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
1,475
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
Bespectacled Bastard Boyfriend- hahahaha
hahahaha. Why glasses and bastard in the same sentence? :XD

Nice Guy- Who often times never gets the girl, a.k.a. Romantic Runner Up
Hahaha, the poor guys are usually my type. :sweatdrop

Knight in Shining Armor- fights baddies, woos ladies without deliberately seducing them, behaves honorably, and saves the day
:luv Who doesn't want this kind of hero?? This type is so popular, we always say we want our own knight in shining armor!
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
So many examples of Bespectacled Bastard boyfriend...

immediately I think of


---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

 

windy van

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
99
Reaction score
17
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
^^^ Ahahaha... Takumi really fit for bastard boyfriend!! He is sweet sometimes but also mean. Honestly, I never thought he could end up with Hachi. Most Yazawa Ai's guys are bastard boyfriend type, huh?

I always love affectionate heros. I like senpai type more, or even superior at workplace, they seems dependable.:) I like someone who does think for his future, mature gentlemen type. I'm not into nice guy type, more into the little naughty one, kyahaha.. but perverts and yanderes are big no no. I prefer lively type than the quiet one.

Oh, I like sportmen, healthy guys is always nice. They don't have to be smart, but at least they aren't too naive. I'm a bit conservative, so I like short haired guy, and quite the opposite, I hate long haired guys, haha.. I'm not into perfect prince type who is nice to everyone, they have to be not flawless, as it will makes them seems so unreal.

Okay, put them together, I have to say Manabe Ryouji from Shuukatsu!! Kimi ni Naitei fit the perfect guy. He is smart, sporty, mature, and very good looking. Seems like stereotyped princey type right? But he is more than that, he has what I called real personality. What else have I hoped for, he is perfection.
I like Hokuto form Hapi Mari too. He is fit for the mature type, not too nice, but actually quite affectionate. Not to mention he is hot! Kyaaaa.... And most of all, he keeps his fidelity!! OMG, who doesn't wants a husband like him....?
From shoujo series, I like Ryoutaro Tsuchiura from La Corda D'Oro. He is athletic, nice, honest, and he plays piano!!! Huwaaaa, 2 talents I like the most from guys, sport and music, and he is great in both.
Sometimes I like characters from their story, that's why I like Taichi from Chihayafuru. If it's physically, I like Arata better, but Taichi's unrequited love, his struggle in karuta, hardworking personality, given how much the author told us his feeling, I have to say I like him the most in this manga. He is not perfect, he has flaws which makes him more human. I totally root for him too.

To be honest if I have to list perfect/ideal heroines, they are much more than perfect/ideal heros. I just realized that I actually quite picky for the male characters. From my complete and reading list, there's so much good looking guys with nice personality, but the ones I consider as ideal is sooo little in number.

Deconfirmed Bachelor- the one that says "I'll never get married" or "I'll never be in a serious relationship" but suddenly gets smitten by the heroine and his bachelor days are over in a flash.
God, This type is soooo stereotyped, they appeared in most mangas. But I have to admit, this kind of guy is interesting.

Nice Guy- Who often times never gets the girl, a.k.a. Romantic Runner Up
To be honest, years ago I always thought the first guys are better and deserve the girl, but now I think those runner up always have better personality, and they should get the girl. The mangaka always makes them have nicer personality, I don't know why. It's a pity they could never get the girl.

Master of the Mixed Message- Every once in a while, he'll do something incredibly romantic, and then turn it into a Just Friends or something similar. He may flirt with her often, but make it seem like it's playful and doesn't mean anything. Often he'll ask her out on a date, and after she accepts reveal it's a group affair, even though the conversation beforehand hinted it might be intimate one on one time. Spends the entire time straddling the line between showing genuine romantic interest and being indifferent, which is incredibly aggravating
I love and hate this type. They are funny :XD, interesting, and annoying at the same time.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
An example of the Master of the Mixed Message:



Mabuchi Kou from Ao Haru Ride

and



George from Paradise Kiss

---------- Post added at 11:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 PM ----------

Where the heroine (and readers) will always have to ask internally "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME??!!!" hahaha

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

I get annoyed with the Insecure Love Interest. In short, the noble idiot. I hate it when they think they're actually doing the girl good by avoiding her, just because they think that they'll never be good enough or something.
 

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
1,475
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
Where the heroine (and readers) will always have to ask internally "WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME??!!!" hahaha
Probably the heroine should start asking externally, as in shouting that question to the hero's face, preferably accompanied with a punch. hahaha
But I still have the feeling that even then, the hero will spit out some nonsense or excuses. Bleh. I do hate that kind of guy.
 

windy van

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
99
Reaction score
17
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
An example of the Master of the Mixed Message:



Mabuchi Kou from Ao Haru Ride

and



George from Paradise Kiss
Waaaa... I love George but I hate Kou!! There's something different about them both. While George is handled his relationship with Yukari in some mature way, he never show any hesitation in his own way. But for Kou I don't really know. He is so naive, I think he is somewhat stupid. Gosh, he is so random I hate it.

I get annoyed with the Insecure Love Interest. In short, the noble idiot. I hate it when they think they're actually doing the girl good by avoiding her, just because they think that they'll never be good enough or something.
Yes, I hate this type too. If they really wants the girl, they should try to get better with themself, fix their flaws, etc. Their way of thinking to avoid the girl is sometimes questionable, especially from reader pov.
 
Top