Discussion Who will get Ace's Mera Mera no Mi (Fire) Devil Fruit?

Who Will Get the Mera Mera no Mi


  • Total voters
    54
Status
Not open for further replies.

THM Nindo

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
4,153
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Hey guys,

As you might know already from one of Oda's question segment, the Devil Fruit go back into the nature once someone who was using it dies.

So, now that Ace is dead, the really strong Mera Mera no Mi Devil Fruit is somewhere in the nature again.

So, many might be wondering who will get it.

Since it's very powerful, and has a special meaning to the main character, I think it will reappear at some point in the story and that only someone important might end up getting it.

My theory is that it's going to be Coby.

Like many others, I think that Coby will eventually become more important to the manga than he is now; and what better way than having him not only learning Haki, but also possessing one of the strongest Devil Fruit power shown in this manga!?

My theory is not only wild guesses though, I do have some details that could back it up a little.

Remember how we saw the creation of a new Devil Fruit when the Smiley died?
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/one_piece/v60/c676/10.html

The Devil Fruit was created at the exact time when Smiley died, and it basically transformed one of the fruit that was close to him at the time of its death.

Which mean...
The Mera Mera Devil Fruit is in MarineFord!!

So, this means that, most likely, it will be found (and probably eaten) by a marine.
And most marines important to the plot already have a DF, so this only leave a few candidates, the most important one being... Coby!

What do you guys think?
 
Last edited:

Shenduk

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Messages
34
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Too cliché.

If Caesar deliberately left a bag full of fruits of the same kind (apples) to recover the DF later and there are books with DFs listed, it means each DF always incarnate in the same kind of fruit.

We don't know if the Mera Mera no Mi was a rare kind of fruit which would be in Marineford and we don't even know the entire dynamics of DF reincarnation.

But it's possible. If the Mera Mera no Mi by chance was reborn in Marineford, and the Marines got it, there'd be a very slim chance of Coby getting it.
 

gegehare

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 2, 2012
Messages
8
Reaction score
3
Gender
Hidden
Country
Indonesia
I dont think so , coby will eat mera-mera , i think he better without DF , like Garp maybe, Coby important character but mera-mera not important DF in manga :)

but i agree if reborn of mera-mera devil fruit in place close from ace dead , marineford ,
about who will eat that DF , i bet the man who promoted to be Admiral , haha :)
 

RezzieThaRapper

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2009
Messages
867
Reaction score
406
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My theory is that some point in the new world the admiral setup is going to be like this (Devil Fruit Wise)

Akainu - Magma (Fleet Admiral)

Smoker - Smoke (Admiral)
Coby - Fire (Admiral)
????? - Ash (Admiral)

It sets a theme up... and we know Oda loves themes... and offtopic a lil bit... how cool would an Ash fruit be...

----------

Alternatively, Admirable setup could be like this

Smoker - White Hunter
Hina - Black Cage
Onigumo - Gray Executioner

The theme here would be Logia (Smoke), Zoan (Spider), Parmecia (Cage) and at the same time 3 Neutral Colors "White, Black, and Gray" which could represent

Smoker as the Neutral Good, Hina as the True Neutral, and Onigumo as the Neutral Evil - - - Of course Neutral in this case represents their sense of Justice...

and I know that had nothing about Coby... but even in this situation he'd be a RA or VA with Ace's Fruit... and if he absolutely doesn't get it... Somebody in BB's crew will...
 

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
3,366
Reaction score
462
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
@RezzieThaRapper

From first thought, the Ash Fruit seems lame imo.
What powers would it have?
Go here though if you can explain please. Since it would go off-topic here.
 

Lord Rayleigh

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
3,134
Reaction score
4,272
Gender
Male
Country
France
That would be boring for Coby to have a Devil Fruit which we already knows. He would end up making some of Ace's attacks, and that doesn't feel right. Coby has to have his own theme, all the more if he is to become an admiral. Not to say it's more exciting to discover mysterious new abilities.

Plus, wouldn't it be better for a child to find Ace's devil fruit since Whitebeard talked about someone's inheriting Ace's will ? I know he did not talk about devil fruit at all but I would find it more exciting thinking there is someone to come later with the Mera Mera no mi. A new generation after Ace's.

If Coby was to get a logia, he would have to get a new one. I guess there could be a meteor logia in Oda's left valise. That devil fruit would suit an admiral. Just imagine a rain of meteors during a battle. With their mass and speed, meteor abilities could turn apocalyptic.

The user would also have the ability to fly as a meteorman. He would spin on himself at a very high speed if he was to divide his logia body into tiny meteors, thus making himself some kind of meteor tornado. Meteor DF would also provide the user a very hard body since it would be one of the harshest matter.
 

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
3,366
Reaction score
462
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
It's not like Oda is agaisnt the wall with what to do for Coby anyways.
There are many other Logia possibilities for him to reach Admiral since everybody is anticipating to become one.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Hopefully Oda does not start recycling devil fruit powers. While it does not violate One Piece world rules, it would be incredibly boring. If Coby has a df ability it hopefully is something unique, not Ace's old power. Marines don't seem to need devil fruit powers anyway. There have been a few now (Vergo and Garp, for example), that fight exclusively with armament haki. Coby could be the same. Or not. It's almost impossible to predict. Oda has not left any clues about Coby's potential df powers.
 

llaubacher

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2012
Messages
567
Reaction score
439
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
From my point of view.. I was and still am fan of the "DF recycling theory". I strongly believe that once user dies, Fruit "respawns" somewhere in the world within like ..? let's say week from the user's death. Hence you would have limited time to bring suitable fruit so the DF would transform into it, like we've seen with Smiley and if it's how it really works, then why not? There is limited amount of DFs in the OP world. So sooner or later they would have gone extinct.. I don't think that Oda can let one part of OP to disappear. So, although I doubt that Coby is going to eat a DF ever, I say yes to the DF recycle system. Coby will be the resemblance of what was Garp to Roger, for Luffy of course. He will corner him in the future.. but never catch actually... One Piece is never ending story, Luffy could die in the style of Roger. His Hat would go to his crewmember, that one would become a Yonkou later, pass the hat onto kid from next generation.. and here we go, another 25 years of OP!

LET DA STUFF HAPPEN!
 

S-H-I-G-U-R-E

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2010
Messages
1,014
Reaction score
380
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Personally, I would prefer Ace to remain the only Mera-Mera no Mi user for quite a while. I wouldn't like to see his DF in the hands of someone else, be it friend or foe. The only exception I can think of is if we're ever going to see Luffy having a kid (I guess with Hancock... poor girl, she deserves it!), it would be a nice touch if Luffy's son somehow became the new user of the DF that once belonged to Ace; it would give the feeling of a "family reunion", and uncle Ace would always be there, in some way ;)
 

Smerten

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 25, 2010
Messages
254
Reaction score
186
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
There are several possibilities of what happens with the fruit. I think it's unlikely we'll see it again.

Buuut... maybe Oda will surprise us and give Luffy the Mera Mera no Mi near the end. In order to better combat BB, it's not a stretch to think that Luffy, in protagonist armor, is able to hold down multiple devil fruits, like BB. If that isn't a unique quality of the Yami Yami no Mi. Maybe it's a Will of D. thing. So in order to combat BB, Luffy might get presented woth the choice of eating Ace's fruit, gaining his power to defeat the one guy who placed Ace on death row. But this plot twist is a looooong shot.
 

Uriel

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
6,406
Reaction score
4,075
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I want it to be a wink in the last chapter when it hints the future king and his brother.
 

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 13, 2011
Messages
3,313
Reaction score
2,810
Gender
Hidden
Country
Colombia
Though in general I dislike the idea of recyling devil fruits, I think that the Mera Mear no mi could be used by Oda in this interesting way for the development of the plot: the fruit is ate by Blackbeard, and he reveals it in the middle of his definitive fight against Luffy, increasing the feelings of rage and indignation in Luffy.
 
Last edited:

THM Nindo

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
4,153
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I strongly believe that once user dies, Fruit "respawns" somewhere in the world within like ..? let's say week from the user's death.
But... we saw from Smiley that the new DF appears instantly!
Smiley wasn't even fully dead persay when the new DF appeared.

So, in my opinion, the Fire Devil Fruit was created the moment Ace died, and it was created in MarineFord, hence why I believe a Marine will be the one to eat it.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

Buuut... maybe Oda will surprise us and give Luffy the Mera Mera no Mi near the end. In order to better combat BB, it's not a stretch to think that Luffy, in protagonist armor, is able to hold down multiple devil fruits, like BB. If that isn't a unique quality of the Yami Yami no Mi. Maybe it's a Will of D. thing. So in order to combat BB, Luffy might get presented woth the choice of eating Ace's fruit, gaining his power to defeat the one guy who placed Ace on death row. But this plot twist is a looooong shot.
Yeah, I thought about that possibility too.

I, like you, think that the ability to take more than 1 DF is a "power" unique to the D.
If we are right about that, then it would make a lot of sense for Luffy to get a second power, and why not Ace's DF then.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

The only exception I can think of is if we're ever going to see Luffy having a kid (I guess with Hancock... poor girl, she deserves it!), it would be a nice touch if Luffy's son somehow became the new user of the DF that once belonged to Ace; it would give the feeling of a "family reunion", and uncle Ace would always be there, in some way ;)
Haven't thought about that.
It sure would have a nice feeling in the end, but I don't think this is how it's going to play out.

If Oda created that rule about the DF, and made sure to show it to us when Smiley died, it's because he wants to use it.

IIRC, the only 2 people we know that had DF and died where WhiteBeard and Ace.
We already know that WhiteBeard DF was stolen by BlackBeard, so that only leaves Ace's DF to be eaten by someone.
 

llaubacher

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2012
Messages
567
Reaction score
439
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
But... we saw from Smiley that the new DF appears instantly!
Smiley wasn't even fully dead persay when the new DF appeared.

So, in my opinion, the Fire Devil Fruit was created the moment Ace died, and it was created in MarineFord, hence why I believe a Marine will be the one to eat it.
I beg to differ. Smiley was killed the moment he ate the candy. His body just disintegrated after he ate it, but he was dead in the moment he ate it as I said.
And I would beg to differ once more. It's not given yet, but I guess it's safe to assume that one's Devil Fruit can appear immediately in case that suitable fruit is nearby. You know there is this DF book which was not presented to us yet. Vegapunk could know that, hence Caesar could as well. Sara Sara no mi, model Axolotl could be "apple type" of DF. Therefore it appeared immediately when Smiley died, because suitable fruit was in the close vicinity. I doubt that fruit just appears because you died. You either have comfortable fruit or say goodbye, it will vanish within few days from user's body. I've said it somewhere above and I won't quote myself, the fruits "spirit/devil" - call it as you like, could stay within user's body for short amount of days, then randomly appear in the world. I am not saying that it can't just appear somewhere in the world in a minute, or short period of time, after user's death.
 

THM Nindo

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
4,153
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I beg to differ. Smiley was killed the moment he ate the candy. His body just disintegrated after he ate it, but he was dead in the moment he ate it as I said.
And I would beg to differ once more. It's not given yet, but I guess it's safe to assume that one's Devil Fruit can appear immediately in case that suitable fruit is nearby. You know there is this DF book which was not presented to us yet. Vegapunk could know that, hence Caesar could as well. Sara Sara no mi, model Axolotl could be "apple type" of DF. Therefore it appeared immediately when Smiley died, because suitable fruit was in the close vicinity. I doubt that fruit just appears because you died. You either have comfortable fruit or say goodbye, it will vanish within few days from user's body. I've said it somewhere above and I won't quote myself, the fruits "spirit/devil" - call it as you like, could stay within user's body for short amount of days, then randomly appear in the world. I am not saying that it can't just appear somewhere in the world in a minute, or short period of time, after user's death.
Well, I guess it's possible, but why would Oda take the time to show us that the fruit appears instantly after Smiley's death if it was not the same for every DF user?
I doubt that the author would take the time to show us something like that if it was for misleading us.
 

Doomchen

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
93
Reaction score
27
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
To me, the most logical person to get the Mera Mera no Mi would be Sanji.
There's two main things that go against it, first Sanji has reportedly only ever had interest in ther girls bathroom peeping fruit and he is the SHs best swimmer.
But I don't know if both things matter that much. I believe Sanjis Blue Walk to be something that requires a certain technique and physical power, so that he would not become a hammer when falling into water. He'd still be able to "swim" that way.
Also I don't believe the DFs to respawn at the place of one persons dead, that would be way to simple to me. They could be found literally somewhere and I'm pretty sure that the appearance of the Mera Mera no Mi is shown in one of those encyclopedias. I'll say the SHs run across it in the next 2-3 islands and Luffy wouldn't want to risk anyone outside his own crew being able to get it since it would be insulting to Ace. It also wouldn't be just recycling a DF by Oda since Ace was mostly using his hands to fight, see Hiken, while Sanji would create attacks based on his legs, which would bring up some new styles that haven't been seen before with the Mera Mera no Mi. Last reason of course is Sanjis personality. He basically cannot be hurt by fire because he's the chef and he's already burst into flames a couple of times. Would be fitting to me.
 

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 2, 2011
Messages
3,366
Reaction score
462
Gender
Male
Country
Marine Headquarters
Why add a Fire Fruit to a man that already has access to Fire?
Your logic is right, but think how unnecessary it would be to hand the SH's another DF user who would be.
I don't think Zoro, Sanji, Nami nor Usopp will consume a DF in this series.
 

Sachsenhesse

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 28, 2008
Messages
2,841
Reaction score
3,655
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Sanjo with the mera mera no mi and zor with the sake sake no mi... it would be kinda awesome... :(
 

THM Nindo

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
7,852
Reaction score
4,153
Age
41
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I must say, I like the idea of Sanji with the Mera Mera fruit.

I think that Sanji is falling behind in the Monster Trio, and is nowhere near Luffy and Zoro right now.
Give him the Mera Mera fruit and now he's totally back with them.

Plus, fire is his element, so it would make sense.

On the other side, his goal is to find All Blue.
If he can't swim in the ocean, isn't his goal forfeit in a way...?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top