Discussion Who will get Ace's Mera Mera no Mi (Fire) Devil Fruit?

Who Will Get the Mera Mera no Mi


  • Total voters
    54
Status
Not open for further replies.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I don't care if Sabo or Luffy gets it, but I don't want anyone in the Straw Hat, a useless fighter like REbecca, or Sabo eating it. The fact that Luffy and Sabo say it's Ace's will mean they should pass it down to the person they think deserve it the most. I'd rather see that happen than anyone else eating it.

Sanji won't ever eat the fruit, because not only does that make him useless in the water, but it takes away his badassedness. Ace was already a badass before the mera mera no mi, and the fruit made him even cooler. Somehow, I don't see that working for Sanji.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I don't mind Sabo eating the mera mera no mi. Sabo eating the fruit means that he will carry on Ace's will. As Ace's best friend that is only fitting. Only Luffy and Sabo have the right to carry on Ace's will. Luffy has accepted that will be Sabo's role, willingly agreeing to let Sabo recover Ace's ability. If anyone, other than Ace's brother and best friend, were to eat the fruit, it would just be a cliche shounen power up.
 

EddyBob15

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2011
Messages
2,279
Reaction score
418
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I see. But if that were to happen, I would hope for a less powerful Logia. I'm thinking of Cesare for some reason...
Well, there aren't many logia options left. And I thought that since whoever eats the Mera Mera would be a rookie and not so powerful, that would work. And as for Ceasar, uh, I think you might make more enemies with that comment than the Coby crack.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 PM ----------

I don't care if Sabo or Luffy gets it, but I don't want anyone in the Straw Hat, a useless fighter like REbecca, or Sabo eating it. The fact that Luffy and Sabo say it's Ace's will mean they should pass it down to the person they think deserve it the most. I'd rather see that happen than anyone else eating it.
1) I think Sabo's plan is to win the fruit so to inherit Ace's will, as in eat it.

2) We haven't seen Rebecca's full power yet so don't judge her yet.

3) Even if her fighting skills are below Ussopp's, she'd become a lot more powerful if she got the fruit.
 

Morlun

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2005
Messages
504
Reaction score
264
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
No matter how strong Sabo may be, I'd bet good money on how both he and Luffy want to obliterate Akainu.

We know, for story reasons, that unless Sabo becomes a main character for the next 300 chapters, shounen logic (and good storytelling) Luffy will be the one to beat Akainu and avenge Ace (though I'd love it if they did it together).

Regardless Luffy being the one to beat Akainu, Sabo wants to beat him just as badly (he'd be a shitty person if he didn't). If you have that goal, eating a Logia can only help. In addition, beating Akainu's magma with Ace's fire is poetic justice.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I don't mind Sabo eating the mera mera no mi. Sabo eating the fruit means that he will carry on Ace's will. As Ace's best friend that is only fitting. Only Luffy and Sabo have the right to carry on Ace's will. Luffy has accepted that will be Sabo's role, willingly agreeing to let Sabo recover Ace's ability. If anyone, other than Ace's brother and best friend, were to eat the fruit, it would just be a cliche shounen power up.
Again, why does him eating the fruit mean he will carry on Ace's will? He can do that without eating the fruit, or he could even pass it down to someone who will carry on Ace's will perfectly, just as how Shank gave Luffy the straw hat because he was so similar to Roger. Luffy and Sabo also have the right to decide who inherits Ace's will.

Not really, it wouldn't be a cliche shounen power up. Maybe for the Straw Hats and Rebecca, it would be.

1) I think Sabo's plan is to win the fruit so to inherit Ace's will, as in eat it.

2) We haven't seen Rebecca's full power yet so don't judge her yet.

3) Even if her fighting skills are below Ussopp's, she'd become a lot more powerful if she got the fruit.
Not sure if that's the only way to inherit Ace's will.

Don't need to. She's good, given, but not that good.

Stronger than she was, yes. Not strong enough to take on Doflamingo. Does she know the Color of Armament haki? If not, she's in trouble.
 

Spam286

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2009
Messages
174
Reaction score
56
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
My initial response to Sabo getting the mera mera no mi is that I don't want it to happen. I'm having trouble figuring out why I feel that way though. I think it comes down to the fact that it's too straightforward. Too neat. He's turned up just in time to get it, having been thought dead for years. Him getting it would be a far bigger cliché than him not at this point, I think.

Of course he's only just come back, so my opinion about that might change over the rest of the arc. (I think I also have a problem with the word 'we' when he's talking about inheriting Ace's will. I don't think Ace's will necessarily meshes with the RA's. That might just be a translation thing though.)
 

KingOfNight

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2012
Messages
2,314
Reaction score
694
Gender
Male
Country
Fire Nation
My initial response to Sabo getting the mera mera no mi is that I don't want it to happen. I'm having trouble figuring out why I feel that way though. I think it comes down to the fact that it's too straightforward. Too neat. He's turned up just in time to get it, having been thought dead for years. Him getting it would be a far bigger cliché than him not at this point, I think.
Rather than cliche, I would say too convenient. I see where you're coming from, but he's the best option right now(imo).
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Again, why does him eating the fruit mean he will carry on Ace's will? He can do that without eating the fruit, or he could even pass it down to someone who will carry on Ace's will perfectly, just as how Shank gave Luffy the straw hat because he was so similar to Roger. Luffy and Sabo also have the right to decide who inherits Ace's will.
The author has already established that the mera mera no mi is emblematic of "Fire Fist" Ace. Recovering his fruit, and gaining Ace's ability, would be symbolic of carrying on Ace's legacy. Sabo fighting for the mera mera no mi, recovering Ace's fruit, only to pass it on to some random character he (Sabo) has never met would be derped beyond all recognition. Sabo asking Luffy to back down, and Luffy agreeing, would be pointless if Sabo simply gave the fruit to one of the Strawhats anyway. Giving it to someone like Rebecca would be even more ridiculous.

By passing on the strawhat, Shanks was saying that Luffy would be the one to carry on Roger's legacy. Shanks essentially forsook any claim to Roger's legacy at that moment. He was, as he would say later, "betting on the next generation". If Sabo did the same, passing on the mera mera no mi, Sabo would be declaring the same, that he would not be the one to carry on Ace's legacy, but that whomever he gave the fruit would be custodian of that legacy.

Not really, it wouldn't be a cliche shounen power up. Maybe for the Straw Hats and Rebecca, it would be.
Yes, it would. It would be a cliche in the truest sense of the word. If anyone other than Sabo ate the mera mera no mi it would just be a power up, devoid of any meaning other than making a character stronger. Things like that are cliche. Sabo eating the mera mera no mi would be more than a simple power up. It would be a symbolic gesture, Sabo carrying on the will of his dead friend. Simply saying "I am going to carry on Ace's will" is empty words. Devil fruit become a part of the user, altering them genetically. Sharing abilities with Ace has deep meaning, within the context of the story. But only if it is Luffy or Sabo that shares that ability.

Not sure if that's the only way to inherit Ace's will.
It is. It allows an additional layer of symbolism to be added to the story. It becomes a matter of show vs. tell. Words can be empty. Declaring "I will carry on Ace's legacy" is just words. Acquiring his ability is a symbolic gesture, investing an additional layer of meaning to those words.
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
The author has already established that the mera mera no mi is emblematic of "Fire Fist" Ace. Recovering his fruit, and gaining Ace's ability, would be symbolic of carrying on Ace's legacy. Sabo fighting for the mera mera no mi, recovering Ace's fruit, only to pass it on to some random character he (Sabo) has never met would be derped beyond all recognition. Sabo asking Luffy to back down, and Luffy agreeing, would be pointless if Sabo simply gave the fruit to one of the Strawhats anyway. Giving it to someone like Rebecca would be even more ridiculous.
However, the author has not established that eating the devil fruit was the ONLY way to carry on a legacy. The devil fruit is Ace's legacy, yes, but there are other ways to realize his legacy as well. Luffy is on the verge of realizing Roger's legacy by becoming a pirate king who will likely overhaul the world as we know it. Sabo wouldn't just be passing it on to a random person, he'd be passing it on to a person who proves himself.

Last two sentences are redundant given that I don't want any of the Straw Hats or Rebecca to get it. Direct that to EddyBob, please.

By passing on the strawhat, Shanks was saying that Luffy would be the one to carry on Roger's legacy. Shanks essentially forsook any claim to Roger's legacy at that moment. He was, as he would say later, "betting on the next generation". If Sabo did the same, passing on the mera mera no mi, Sabo would be declaring the same, that he would not be the one to carry on Ace's legacy, but that whomever he gave the fruit would be custodian of that legacy.
Which is essentially what I'm saying Sabo and/or Luffy would do by giving someone Ace's fruit. Could be after this arc, could be five arcs later, could be in the last arc, in the last chapter ever. It's a possibility, just as Sabo eating it is a possibility. We're going on the assumption that he isn't already a user, and I don't think Sabo mentioned eating the fruit, just carrying on Ace's legacy.

He can carry on Ace's legacy without consuming the fruit, and pass on Ace's legacy to someone else.



Yes, it would. It would be a cliche in the truest sense of the word. If anyone other than Sabo ate the mera mera no mi it would just be a power up, devoid of any meaning other than making a character stronger. Things like that are cliche. Sabo eating the mera mera no mi would be more than a simple power up. It would be a symbolic gesture, Sabo carrying on the will of his dead friend. Simply saying "I am going to carry on Ace's will" is empty words. Devil fruit become a part of the user, altering them genetically. Sharing abilities with Ace has deep meaning, within the context of the story. But only if it is Luffy or Sabo that shares that ability.
There can be a meaning if Sabo gives it to someone else, or if Luffy gives it to someone else. It would be their way of passing on their will or legacy as well as Ace's. It'd be a symbolic gesture identical to when Shanks gave Luffy Roger's straw hat.

Which is why he WILL carry on Ace's will. Words mean nothing, actions do. What if he just eats the mera mera no mi and decides to live a quiet life instead? Is that carrying on Ace's will?



It is. It allows an additional layer of symbolism to be added to the story. It becomes a matter of show vs. tell. Words can be empty. Declaring "I will carry on Ace's legacy" is just words. Acquiring his ability is a symbolic gesture, investing an additional layer of meaning to those words.
Acquiring his ability is a symbolic gesture that can be ruined if Sabo decides to just quit. Basically the same as him not eating the fruit, but not carrying on Ace's legacy.


Want to make a wager? If I win, you ban hoeru and Schabrak. If you win, you ban Schabrak and hoeru. Deal? :3c
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
However, the author has not established that eating the devil fruit was the ONLY way to carry on a legacy. The devil fruit is Ace's legacy, yes, but there are other ways to realize his legacy as well. Luffy is on the verge of realizing Roger's legacy by becoming a pirate king who will likely overhaul the world as we know it. Sabo wouldn't just be passing it on to a random person, he'd be passing it on to a person who proves himself.
Oda has established the mera mera no mi as the only tangible symbol of Ace's legacy. By recovering the mera mera no mi, Sabo will have symbolically recovered Ace's legacy. By eating it, Sabo will have symbolically become the heir to Ace's will. There is nothing else in the story with comparable symbolism.

Which is essentially what I'm saying Sabo and/or Luffy would do by giving someone Ace's fruit. Could be after this arc, could be five arcs later, could be in the last arc, in the last chapter ever. It's a possibility, just as Sabo eating it is a possibility. We're going on the assumption that he isn't already a user, and I don't think Sabo mentioned eating the fruit, just carrying on Ace's legacy.
By giving Roger's straw hat to Luffy, Shanks conceded that he would not be the one to carry on Roger's legacy, Luffy would. If Sabo were to recover the mera mera no mi, only to pass it on, he would symbolically admit that he will not be the one to carry on Ace's will. He would be acknowledging whomever he gives the fruit as heir to Ace's legacy.

He can carry on Ace's legacy without consuming the fruit, and pass on Ace's legacy to someone else.
He can't simultaneously carry on Ace's legacy while also passing on Ace's legacy to someone else.

There can be a meaning if Sabo gives it to someone else, or if Luffy gives it to someone else. It would be their way of passing on their will or legacy as well as Ace's. It'd be a symbolic gesture identical to when Shanks gave Luffy Roger's straw hat.
Luffy won't be giving the mera mera no mi to anyone. He has already called off the search, conceding Ace's legacy to Sabo.

Which is why he WILL carry on Ace's will. Words mean nothing, actions do. What if he just eats the mera mera no mi and decides to live a quiet life instead? Is that carrying on Ace's will?
Sabo won't eat the fruit and just live a quiet life. He's a member of the Revolutionary Army, dedicated since childhood to fighting for equality. Ace's legacy will be the fire of freedom, helping Sabo fight the world's oppressive social hierarchy.

Acquiring his ability is a symbolic gesture that can be ruined if Sabo decides to just quit. Basically the same as him not eating the fruit, but not carrying on Ace's legacy.
He won't just quit :XD

Want to make a wager? If I win, you ban hoeru and Schabrak. If you win, you ban Schabrak and hoeru. Deal? :3c
Deal! If I win they're doomed :super

What do you get if you win? You've only said what I get if I win?
 

sameel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
776
Reaction score
146
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
India
I dont think aces legacy shit will be a factor in who gets the fruit. In cases like inheriting someones will through something permamnent(df) i think oda will give the fruit to someone oposite to ace in most areas but has the same intention at heart as that of ace. The said person will eventually turn out to be quiet alike ace when we get to know him/her more. I hope it isnt rebecca and it probably wont since sabo is here. It suits her being fruitless and weak in our standard.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
And if I win you ban the master troll and the biggest asshole besides me? :3c

I'm open for other cantidates within the Revolutionaries, but damn, we would need to see some new faces and finally a real introduction into the to echelon of the RA. Sabo is the best candidate still so far.
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Oda has established the mera mera no mi as the only tangible symbol of Ace's legacy. By recovering the mera mera no mi, Sabo will have symbolically recovered Ace's legacy. By eating it, Sabo will have symbolically become the heir to Ace's will. There is nothing else in the story with comparable symbolism.
There can also be intangible legacy. I'm confident we'll see Luffy and Ace's legacy be passed down from generation to generation, with or without devil fruit, just as Roger and the Will of D were passed down.



By giving Roger's straw hat to Luffy, Shanks conceded that he would not be the one to carry on Roger's legacy, Luffy would. If Sabo were to recover the mera mera no mi, only to pass it on, he would symbolically admit that he will not be the one to carry on Ace's will. He would be acknowledging whomever he gives the fruit as heir to Ace's legacy.
Or, he could admit he will not be the one to carry on Ace's will anymore. Shank did not concede he would not be the one to carry on Roger's legacy, but he accepted Luffy as the next generation who would carry on Roger's legacy.



He can't simultaneously carry on Ace's legacy while also passing on Ace's legacy to someone else.
And why not?



Luffy won't be giving the mera mera no mi to anyone. He has already called off the search, conceding Ace's legacy to Sabo.
Is it set in stone Sabo won't give Ace the mera mera no mi? Probably won't, but there's still a chance.



Sabo won't eat the fruit and just live a quiet life. He's a member of the Revolutionary Army, dedicated since childhood to fighting for equality. Ace's legacy will be the fire of freedom, helping Sabo fight the world's oppressive social hierarchy.
Not my point. I'm saying he could eat the mera mera no mi and just become reclusive, it doesn't guarantee he'll carry on Ace's will.

Deal! If I win they're doomed :super

What do you get if you win? You've only said what I get if I win?
Nope. If you read, we both get the same thing if we win. Though, I was half jokin about banning Schabrak. You don't need to ban him if you don't want to, he's not that bad. :3c
 

Don Chinjao

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2013
Messages
249
Reaction score
28
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Again, why does him eating the fruit mean he will carry on Ace's will? He can do that without eating the fruit, or he could even pass it down to someone who will carry on Ace's will perfectly, just as how Shank gave Luffy the straw hat because he was so similar to Roger. Luffy and Sabo also have the right to decide who inherits Ace's will.

Not really, it wouldn't be a cliche shounen power up. Maybe for the Straw Hats and Rebecca, it would be.



Not sure if that's the only way to inherit Ace's will.

Don't need to. She's good, given, but not that good.

Stronger than she was, yes. Not strong enough to take on Doflamingo. Does she know the Color of Armament haki? If not, she's in trouble.
From when rebecca is similar to ace because both of them hated from ppl for something they didnt do themselfs but someone else?
Sry but this isnt a good reason Rebecca is a pacifist ace was a beast with good manners and are you blind and non thinker? what would be the whole point of sabo's reveal is he wont get the fruit for himself? There would be no reason for going himself in dressrosa he could very well send someone else in his place as strong as him end of story. You guys are chick-lovers to point of stupidity. You want so much for rebecca to take-eat the mera mera just to join the sh crew to point of becaming annoying to extreme lvl's and iam mentally tired of hearing this so ill put my rampage mode on the next one says something about rebecca getting the fruit after sabos reveal. Come on make my day!!!!
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Seems like most OP fans' ability to comprehend words is low. Where did I ever say I wanted Rebecca to get the fruit? If you actually did read the posts in this thread, you'd see me consistently and constantly saying that I don't want Rebecca to get the fruit or join the crew as she is boring. I'm actually tempted to link "consistently" and "constantly" to an online dictionary so I can't be misunderstood that way. Jesus.

If Rebecca was a pacifist though, she wouldn't be trying to kill Doflamingo.
 

sameel

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2013
Messages
776
Reaction score
146
Age
29
Gender
Male
Country
India
So...its prolly gonna go with sabo huh...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Looks like it...

...Maybe Sabo gives it to Coby :amuse
 
Last edited:

Depravity

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 23, 2011
Messages
20
Reaction score
18
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm in the camp of hoping Ace's fruit ends up retrieved by Burgess, or falls in the hands of an antagonist of some sort. Like a member before me mentioned, having the Mera Mera in the hands of Blackbeard would greatly increase tension between his crew and the Strawhats; add that along with him proving responsible for the ordeal at Marineford (and a foreshadowed showdown with Shanks, whom he should triumph over) and you've got an incredible set-up for a climatic bout between the two sometime down the road, near the end of the series. It creates intrigue (among other strong emotions), bumps the respective power of Blackbeard's crew, and gives fans of the series a more tangible goal to look forward to.

Should Blackbeard not get the fruit however, I'm sure the fight will still happen and be pretty epic, 'cause Blackbeard has never stopped scheming and drawing up machinations to conquer the seas (and eventually the world). If not Ace's fruit, he'll be sure to piss Luffy off in another way soon (I believe Dressrosa would prove an optimal place for Oda to start, though).
 

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2013
Messages
1,657
Reaction score
1,425
Age
35
Gender
Hidden
Country
Germany
At this point it's screaming Sabo, but I won't be surprised if some Chaotic Situation occurs and the Mera Mera lands in the hands of someone else.
 

MBVC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 5, 2012
Messages
1,190
Reaction score
164
Gender
Male
Country
Bouvet Island
Well at least camp Luffy is written off at this moment, I'm waiting the same result for camp Rebecca in near future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top