Theory Why Do Devil Fruits Taste Bad??

VioletVector

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2022
Messages
103
Reaction score
21
Age
34
Country
Canada
Why Do Devil Fruits Taste Bad?
​
I believe Devil Fruits Taste bad for a simple reason - they are irradiated.

These are not real fruits in the sense that they are natural. They were created through a process that infuses them with radiation, and this concentration of radiation causes the fruits to taste badly.

It is known that normal foods are irradiated to kill bacteria and to preserve foods. Government bodies regulate the amount of radiation allowed as to not cause adverse reactions in humans or to change the taste of food. However, it is known that with higher concentrations of radiation that food will begin to taste weird.

Devil Fruits contain a form of radiation and it is this radiation which causes them to taste so badly.
 
Last edited:

TitaniumOxide

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
1,130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Personally never even thought about this and I'm no scientist but I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff or processes aside from the common stuff like spoilage or fruits grown in the wrong environment can make fruit taste bad, not just radiation.

But did Oda ever mention that dfs were irradiated because if he did then I forgot. Right now I'm kind of like, yo why would they be irradiated in the first place? Would that mean the tree they grew from is irradiated and how the hell can it absorb so much radiation unless there was some nukes dropped or there was no atmosphere which is kinda like lol obviously this can be written off because an atmosphere is pretty essential to complex life as we know it.
 

Darklord#10

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 11, 2022
Messages
3,573
Reaction score
3,262
Age
23
Gender
Male
Country
Nigeria
Ask oda :eyeroll
 

VioletVector

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2022
Messages
103
Reaction score
21
Age
34
Country
Canada
Personally never even thought about this and I'm no scientist but I'm pretty sure a lot of stuff or processes aside from the common stuff like spoilage or fruits grown in the wrong environment can make fruit taste bad, not just radiation.

But did Oda ever mention that dfs were irradiated because if he did then I forgot. Right now I'm kind of like, yo why would they be irradiated in the first place? Would that mean the tree they grew from is irradiated and how the hell can it absorb so much radiation unless there was some nukes dropped or there was no atmosphere which is kinda like lol obviously this can be written off because an atmosphere is pretty essential to complex life as we know it.
1) Other stuff can cause food to taste bad.
- True. But, radiation is a very specific thing. The devil fruits are assumed to not be spoiled. They don't taste natural, however. They all taste awful. This is a fact as each person who has eaten one has reacted badly to its taste. I believe the taste is a clue that tells us these fruits are man-made and contain a form of radiation. Natural fruit tastes good. Unnatural fruits don't taste good.

2) Why would they be irradiated in the first place?
- It is possible that the radiation is what allows the fruits to give people powers. It may also be possible that the tree which made these fruits is irradiated. However, not in a normal way. There is a connection in the story that says the spirits of the dead are in trees. So, it might not be that someone put *radiation* in a tree, but rather someone's *soul* was in a tree. This is a confusing part, so I'm just going to say the energy of a soul is a form of radiation called subtle energy. There may have been a tree with subtle energy in it that created the fruits (a tree with a soul in it).

3) How could it have so much radiation in it? Would nukes need to be dropped on the ground and irradiate the soil?
- No. Not nukes. But, it might be similar to the Mother Flame and the Flame on the backs of the Seraphim and King. A high source of energy.
 

TitaniumOxide

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
1,130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Originally I had hoped that Oda did mention that DFs have some kind of radiation that I totally forgotton about. I'm glad that this is all hypothetical because to me, even though it is a fun thought, it is quite flawed.

1) Other stuff can cause food to taste bad.
- True. But, radiation is a very specific thing. The devil fruits are assumed to not be spoiled. They don't taste natural, however. They all taste awful. This is a fact as each person who has eaten one has reacted badly to its taste. I believe the taste is a clue that tells us these fruits are man-made and contain a form of radiation. Natural fruit tastes good. Unnatural fruits don't taste good.
I think it was clear that VP said that DFs are the result of people's hopes/wishes. As long as people want something enough a DF will materialize to cover that but I do think it is possible that someone or some people in the past might have had a hand in this. That said, I'd counter argue that DFs tasting bad is actually natural rather than unnatural because so many fruits (and veggies) we currently eat around the world are the result of people meddling in the genetics before people even knew what genetics was. After many years of artificial selection, the humble banana is what it is today. Originally it was disgusting, full of bigass seeds. Same with many melons. Humans made these fruits taste good to humans. Otherwise, they just taste good to whatever eats them.

2) Why would they be irradiated in the first place?
- It is possible that the radiation is what allows the fruits to give people powers. It may also be possible that the tree which made these fruits is irradiated. However, not in a normal way. There is a connection in the story that says the spirits of the dead are in trees. So, it might not be that someone put *radiation* in a tree, but rather someone's *soul* was in a tree. This is a confusing part, so I'm just going to say the energy of a soul is a form of radiation called subtle energy. There may have been a tree with subtle energy in it that created the fruits (a tree with a soul in it).
I respect that you are making theories but now it seems like you are just adding more personal theories to your theory to try to make it work and that's fine but there is no real evidence. I mean so now Radiation is soul which is subtle energy? What else could it be? Apologies if this sounds harsh but I'm a subjective person.

3) How could it have so much radiation in it? Would nukes need to be dropped on the ground and irradiate the soil?
- No. Not nukes. But, it might be similar to the Mother Flame and the Flame on the backs of the Seraphim and King. A high source of energy.
This I get. There are a lot of similarities between the motherflame and nuclear reactors which have radiation. But even if there are similarities, it actually opens up a lot more questions than it hypothetically answers. Questions like, when Chopper ate his DF in the wild, did someone fire Uranus nearby to produce the radiation that is supposedly in the fruit and does this mean that Uranus has been used more often without anyone knowing and causing sea level rise? Or maybe you were talking about a single event or group of events that happened in a sandboxed amount of time such as the void century? So let's say this is what happened, Uranus went off many times in those hundred years or whatever and boom a bunch of fruits got irradiated and became DFs, why would they still be irradiated? Radiation dissipate over time. I guess if we are really talking physics and chemistry (which Oda is probably not going to delve too deep into) then we can say some stuff can be irradiated for tens of thousands of years if I remember my classes correctly. But then let's say Chopper dies and his DF is reborn somewhere. Are you suggesting that this new iteration of Chopper's fruit inherited the radiation because it goes back to the question, how can it be irradiated? Even if radiation can last in a fruit centuries...I don't think if you ate some of the fruit and if there were seeds that would sprout a whole new plant that is just as irradiated without an outside factor providing more radiation. It may be irradiated still but it will be further diluted with every subsequent generation. But these are ifs. Obviously DF's don't have seeds that people can just use to just grow more DFs.

I'm not saying DFs are definitively not irradiated but I do think the most likely DFs that can be irradiated might be Momo's fruit which was created by VP and Smiles which are created by Ceasar using SAD. Take a look at this: https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SAD. You can see that the SAD tank has some kind of nuclear symbol on it as stated by the wiki. This stuff probably has radiation in it. SAD is definitely created by people and I'm sure Ceasar learned a lot from VP's supposedly failed fruit. If VP used some radiation to make Momo's fruit then it can be assumed that Ceasar might have discovered the same technique(s). Fruits growing on trees however...unless that tree has radiation or a radiating event happened nearby, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for it to be irradiated with your given ideas. I doubt a bunch of lunarians 900 years ago used the flames on their backs to add radiation day and night to turn fruits into DFs. That just seems comical. Imagine a bunch of people that looks like King just standing around with flames on their backs and an apple is above it, hanging from a tree. Pretty funny looking scene in my head. Like hey bro, you've been boiling this apple all day, I get it, we're hourly and you want some overtime but hey man I'm here to take over for 3rd shift, the supervisor is asking that you go home now.
 

VioletVector

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2022
Messages
103
Reaction score
21
Age
34
Country
Canada
Originally I had hoped that Oda did mention that DFs have some kind of radiation that I totally forgotton about. I'm glad that this is all hypothetical because to me, even though it is a fun thought, it is quite flawed.



I think it was clear that VP said that DFs are the result of people's hopes/wishes. As long as people want something enough a DF will materialize to cover that but I do think it is possible that someone or some people in the past might have had a hand in this. That said, I'd counter argue that DFs tasting bad is actually natural rather than unnatural because so many fruits (and veggies) we currently eat around the world are the result of people meddling in the genetics before people even knew what genetics was. After many years of artificial selection, the humble banana is what it is today. Originally it was disgusting, full of bigass seeds. Same with many melons. Humans made these fruits taste good to humans. Otherwise, they just taste good to whatever eats them.



I respect that you are making theories but now it seems like you are just adding more personal theories to your theory to try to make it work and that's fine but there is no real evidence. I mean so now Radiation is soul which is subtle energy? What else could it be? Apologies if this sounds harsh but I'm a subjective person.



This I get. There are a lot of similarities between the motherflame and nuclear reactors which have radiation. But even if there are similarities, it actually opens up a lot more questions than it hypothetically answers. Questions like, when Chopper ate his DF in the wild, did someone fire Uranus nearby to produce the radiation that is supposedly in the fruit and does this mean that Uranus has been used more often without anyone knowing and causing sea level rise? Or maybe you were talking about a single event or group of events that happened in a sandboxed amount of time such as the void century? So let's say this is what happened, Uranus went off many times in those hundred years or whatever and boom a bunch of fruits got irradiated and became DFs, why would they still be irradiated? Radiation dissipate over time. I guess if we are really talking physics and chemistry (which Oda is probably not going to delve too deep into) then we can say some stuff can be irradiated for tens of thousands of years if I remember my classes correctly. But then let's say Chopper dies and his DF is reborn somewhere. Are you suggesting that this new iteration of Chopper's fruit inherited the radiation because it goes back to the question, how can it be irradiated? Even if radiation can last in a fruit centuries...I don't think if you ate some of the fruit and if there were seeds that would sprout a whole new plant that is just as irradiated without an outside factor providing more radiation. It may be irradiated still but it will be further diluted with every subsequent generation. But these are ifs. Obviously DF's don't have seeds that people can just use to just grow more DFs.

I'm not saying DFs are definitively not irradiated but I do think the most likely DFs that can be irradiated might be Momo's fruit which was created by VP and Smiles which are created by Ceasar using SAD. Take a look at this: https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SAD. You can see that the SAD tank has some kind of nuclear symbol on it as stated by the wiki. This stuff probably has radiation in it. SAD is definitely created by people and I'm sure Ceasar learned a lot from VP's supposedly failed fruit. If VP used some radiation to make Momo's fruit then it can be assumed that Ceasar might have discovered the same technique(s). Fruits growing on trees however...unless that tree has radiation or a radiating event happened nearby, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for it to be irradiated with your given ideas. I doubt a bunch of lunarians 900 years ago used the flames on their backs to add radiation day and night to turn fruits into DFs. That just seems comical. Imagine a bunch of people that looks like King just standing around with flames on their backs and an apple is above it, hanging from a tree. Pretty funny looking scene in my head. Like hey bro, you've been boiling this apple all day, I get it, we're hourly and you want some overtime but hey man I'm here to take over for 3rd shift, the supervisor is asking that you go home now.
You don't understand science fiction. Sorry.
 

TitaniumOxide

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2012
Messages
1,342
Reaction score
1,130
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You don't understand a different opinion. You come here, make a wildass theory and don't want to see how others may disagree with you and accuse me of not understanding science fiction? If I didn't then I wouldn't even like One Piece because dfs will not be something I can understand because devil fruits are science fiction. And this is facts not my opinion.
 
Last edited:

VioletVector

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2022
Messages
103
Reaction score
21
Age
34
Country
Canada
Devil Fruits existing just because people have dreams = Fantasy/Magic

Devil Fruits existing because someone made a bridge between science and magic that turns dreams into reality = Science Fiction

There's more to it than you think.
 

McNuss

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
2,995
Reaction score
2,436
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Devil Fruits existing just because people have dreams = Fantasy/Magic

Devil Fruits existing because someone made a bridge between science and magic that turns dreams into reality = Science Fiction

There's more to it than you think.
Neither is right. Punk Hazard and Wano Arc SHOW how Caesar made artificial Devil Fruits.

Comics are not novels, but even there dialogue is never the same as narration. Dialogue is always limited by the thoughts and habits of the speaker, and thus unreliable when it comes to factual information.
 

VioletVector

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2022
Messages
103
Reaction score
21
Age
34
Country
Canada
Neither is right. Punk Hazard and Wano Arc SHOW how Caesar made artificial Devil Fruits.

Comics are not novels, but even there dialogue is never the same as narration. Dialogue is always limited by the thoughts and habits of the speaker, and thus unreliable when it comes to factual information.
Most of what you said is nonsense.
- I will address what you said about Caesar making Devil Fruits, though.
- Caesar didn't show anybody how to make Devil Fruits. He made failed attempts at them and they were called SMILE fruits. I don't think I need to say more than that because he didn't actually figure out how to make them, and you can't explain it either. What he did do was recreate them using SAD, but he didn't do it correctly.
 
Top