Discussion - Why do people shit on The Sinner? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Why do people shit on The Sinner?

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Curious. Not many people seem to like the Sinner and he often gets shat on. Why is that?

Seven777

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
People are too impatient. It was the same thing with Ludo, he didnt do anything for a long time, useless against Chandler, Cusack and Zeldris, so people thought he sucked, said the goddess clan sucked, until recently where he's revealed to be incredibly powerful. Same with Zeldris, didnt do shit for ages(like 150 chapters) so everyone complained that he never did anything, that he always gets his ass beat, etc, but thats not the case anymore.

The Sinners been around for like 10 chapters now? Not even? He'll do something, Nakaba just likes to take his time, all we can hope for is that he wont wait as long as he waited to make Zeldris do something cool.

ubw178

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
The masters were portrayed as the strongest demons and when they combined everyone thought the Sinner would be on a whole new level.
His appearance was intimidating and Merlin said they lost all chances of winning which boosted our expectations even more. In the end he turned out to be rather average given how King and Mael toyed with him. I guess he lacked screen time too as all he did was distracting someone while Zel fights the main target.

He's still alive and didn't appear in the last chapter so he might be hiding something. Don't forget that the more damage he takes the stronger he gets. And his body is decaying due to some curse the DK put on him for disobeying him in the past. I think Cusack's subconsciousness will take over and his final attack(with full power) will be targeted at Meliodas who will show his power by completely negating his final attack.

Estarossa173

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why? Because he’s been a damn disappointment.

He took so fucking long to beat a WEAKENED escanor and he was practically toyed with by king, Ludociel, and mael individually. His moveset ain’t impressive and neither is his innate ability. I mean really, getting a boost in power as his life is shaved away? Lame! And apparently, he hardly has ANY abilities that he retained from cusack and chandler.

I mean, you have cusack and chandler, who demonstrated that they are the strongest demons. By having them merge, you’d think the sinner would be on a WHOLE other level. And well, his performance clearly doesn’t show it. The sinner imo, is BY FAR the most disappointing villain in the manga and one of the biggest letdowns I’ve seen in a shonen manga.

Last edited:

T25

Reaction score
Country
United States

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
What happened.

They created a lot of hype and a lot of expectations and they got trashed they got better feats individually than when they turned into the sinner.

The thing is as the story progressed all the previous fights with previous antagonists had been downgraded enormously because when you realize that some characters were so broken that if they had participated in the fights sooner a lot of those threats would had been nothing more than child's playing.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The masters were portrayed as the strongest demons and when they combined everyone thought the Sinner would be on a whole new level.
His appearance was intimidating and Merlin said they lost all chances of winning which boosted our expectations even more. In the end he turned out to be rather average given how King and Mael toyed with him. I guess he lacked screen time too as all he did was distracting someone while Zel fights the main target.

He's still alive and didn't appear in the last chapter so he might be hiding something. Don't forget that the more damage he takes the stronger he gets. And his body is decaying due to some curse the DK put on him for disobeying him in the past. I think Cusack's subconsciousness will take over and his final attack(with full power) will be targeted at Meliodas who will show his power by completely negating his final attack.

I too believe that the sinner is alive because they never claimed that he is actually dead but if by any chance is alive and he is like with 1% life ready to die in one hit even if he decides to do something and kills let's say rueodecel it will still be nothing even if he actually kill him because rueodecel is dying anyway so killing a guy who is about to die anyway it's a cheap way to show that he actually managed to do something.

Knowing the cheap writing we saw so far i won't be surprised if he pulls out something like this.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
He wasn't even allowed 2 chapters of shine before he got wrecked by 3 separate individuals on different occasions.

He's the combination of two Demons who were hyped up and managed to live up to said hype, unlike the Commandments they came after. Yet his portrayal has basically put him in the position the Commandments were in after their initial appearance, where they do nothing but face opponents who stomp them into the ground.

titantron91

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Because time-restricted Ryudoshel no-sold his attacks and forced him to sacrifice life for attack power.
Also, Sun Mael two-shot his ass to irrelevance.

Those who were disappointed in the Sinner were probably demonbois. Sinner makes Team Demon look bad.

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece
He wasn't even allowed 2 chapters of shine before he got wrecked by 3 separate individuals on different occasions.

He's the combination of two Demons who were hyped up and managed to live up to said hype, unlike the Commandments they came after. Yet his portrayal has basically put him in the position the Commandments were in after their initial appearance, where they do nothing but face opponents who stomp them into the ground.

Do you know what makes me sad? The dude was the combined powers of both the masters and with that skill he had he could actually get way stronger but really struggled to beat escanor this is what i cannot get.

Let's said escanor was at 150 -170k around at that point, the sinner should be at 341κ so we are talking about an enormous difference in terms of power yet the sinner could not even one shot escanor: like he had some clashes, were escanor even though he had been damaged he wasn't even down.

Like this is ridiculous and it is ridiculous because if this was the other way around like if escanor was at 341k and the sinner was at 150 -170k power lvl then escanor would without a doubt one shot the dude with one attack and destroy him.

That's an automatic downgrade of hype in my eyes on top on that this is a seriously unfair treatment that creates power scale inconsistencies and makes things look really bad for me escanor should had been unconscious with a one-shot instead he didn't want to be fair like this dude humiliated every villain he faced but when it came his time to get his 1rst lost A) he wasn't even at his peak of power b) it took the way more powerful enemy to actually show effort to deal with him.

Like even when he got his 1rst original lost it was not at his strongest point but at his midpoint of power i do not know why nakaba does this and the problem is he does this with everyone of his characters like he did the same thing with king vs mael he did the same thing with meliodas vs the commandments he did the same thing with merlin vs the masters like whenever the sins are about to lose they are never at there peak of power because the author is a coward
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

He is a toilet of a character...his personality and existence as of late seems obsolete and he's flat

In other words, He's just a poo ass nibba

Do you know what is funny? A lot of reviewers are not even remembering those guys previous names like lmao. I remember when i was watching a couple of reviewers in youtube and were referring chandler as the grandpa demon because they couldn't even remember his name that's how much they never gave a shit about chandler and same goes about cusack.

In other manga like my hero academia, i bet people remember the lesser villains names especially if they are the number 2 or 3 important villain after then main villain this shows a lot about the writing of the villains in nanatsu no taizai.

Last edited:

JellalF

Reaction score
Country
Venezuela
People are too impatient. It was the same thing with Ludo, he didnt do anything for a long time, useless against Chandler, Cusack and Zeldris, so people thought he sucked, said the goddess clan sucked, until recently where he's revealed to be incredibly powerful. Same with Zeldris, didnt do shit for ages(like 150 chapters) so everyone complained that he never did anything, that he always gets his ass beat, etc, but thats not the case anymore.

The Sinners been around for like 10 chapters now? Not even? He'll do something, Nakaba just likes to take his time, all we can hope for is that he wont wait as long as he waited to make Zeldris do something cool.
You really couldn't have said it any better, i would add to it that some are just simply a bit toxic

LaserBeam

Reaction score
Country
Greece

You got it wrong we don't want him to do something by saying something you even count the small bullshits we don't want him to do some small bullshit we want him to do something equivalent to the weight of his existence, not something inferior to this.

Characters need to do equivalent things to the weight of their existence in the story they have to live up their hype if they have been hyped. He had been hyped and yet zeldris pulled a better fight than him against mael.

When they fused into the original demon zeldris was shit his pants off he was like ( holy fuck) but his feats are none existent even if he got a minor something it will far from redeeming his useless existence in the story.

Last edited:

JOA20

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
The Sinner can still do something, I seriously doubt Nakaba wrote him off just like that.

However he's been quite underwhelming so far. Merlin and Escanor managed to barely keep him at bay, Ludociel in spirit form could force him back, Mael used a Greatest Sun to put him out of the battle rather easily. For someone who was apparently stronger than The One Escanor (because of how the Dark Zone fared against the two of them), he did nothing worthy of praise except giving a weakened Escanor his first defeat.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
You got it wrong we don't want him to do something by saying something you even count the small bullshits we don't want him to do some small bullshit we want him to do something equivalent to the weight of his existence, not something inferior to this.

Characters need to do equivalent things to the weight of their existence in the story they have to live up their hype if they have been hyped. He had been hyped and yet zeldris pulled a better fight than him against mael.

When they fused into the original demon zeldris was shit his pants off he was like ( holy fuck) but his feats are none existent even if he got a minor something it will far from redeeming his useless existence in the story.
As i said, you're impatient, you want the Sinner to deliver something "equivalent to his weight in the story" before his time. I wont deny that the Sinner has been underwhelming, that he isnt a match for his hype, but i'm also not going to write him off after what? 10 chapters? Zeldris had tons of hype, tons, yet what has he done the past 150 chapters? Absolutely nothing, at least until recently. Did you miss all the jokes about how Zeldris never did anything but get his ass beat? It wasnt til a 100+ chapter later did he actually do something worthwhile. And then what happened? People started praising him, almost everyone did in fact, he's best boi again to most people. Ludo got the same treatment, except people couldnt even wait 20 chapters before judging him useless. And now the Sinner, he's only been here 10 friggin chapters. People just cant wait for anything, its the same with explanations too. As soon as something the reader doesnt understand happens, everyone wants it explained in the next few chapters, and if its not they call bullshit. I like a little mystery myself.

This is the problem I have with a lot of manga readers, you expect everything you want to happen to happen in the next chapter, you want everything explained as soon as it occurs. Sometimes a good writer knows when to make the reader wait, to prioritize the overarching plot over the immediate satisfaction of the reader. Its an easier choice for authors of novels, because they release a complete story, not an incomplete weekly one, but Nakaba has made it clear many times over that he's alright with making the reader wait, which i respect him for. So yeah, took 150+ chapters to fulfill Zeldris' hype, dont expect the Sinner's hype to be fulfilled after a measly 10.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
As i said, you're impatient, you want the Sinner to deliver something "equivalent to his weight in the story" before his time. I wont deny that the Sinner has been underwhelming, that he isnt a match for his hype, but i'm also not going to write him off after what? 10 chapters? Zeldris had tons of hype, tons, yet what has he done the past 150 chapters? Absolutely nothing, at least until recently. Did you miss all the jokes about how Zeldris never did anything but get his ass beat? It wasnt til a 100+ chapter later did he actually do something worthwhile. And then what happened? People started praising him, almost everyone did in fact, he's best boi again to most people. Ludo got the same treatment, except people couldnt even wait 20 chapters before judging him useless. And now the Sinner, he's only been here 10 friggin chapters. People just cant wait for anything, its the same with explanations too. As soon as something the reader doesnt understand happens, everyone wants it explained in the next few chapters, and if its not they call bullshit. I like a little mystery myself.

This is the problem I have with a lot of manga readers, you expect everything you want to happen to happen in the next chapter, you want everything explained as soon as it occurs. Sometimes a good writer knows when to make the reader wait, to prioritize the overarching plot over the immediate satisfaction of the reader. Its an easier choice for authors of novels, because they release a complete story, not an incomplete weekly one, but Nakaba has made it clear many times over that he's alright with making the reader wait, which i respect him for. So yeah, took 150+ chapters to fulfill Zeldris' hype, dont expect the Sinner's hype to be fulfilled after a measly 10.
There is a difference between Ludo and The Sinner.In the Holy war flashback we already saw how strong Ludo was when he toyed with the Commandments.So we knew even if he wasn't delivering the hype,that he is strong soon.But same is not the case with The Sinner.There is every possibility that he got one shotted but if he is returning hopefully he will show his worth but until then he is a dissapointment.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
There is a difference between Ludo and The Sinner.In the Holy war flashback we already saw how strong Ludo was when he toyed with the Commandments.So we knew even if he wasn't delivering the hype,that he is strong soon.But same is not the case with The Sinner.There is every possibility that he got one shotted but if he is returning hopefully he will show his worth but until then he is a dissapointment.
I dont see how thats any different to the Sinner personally. We already saw the Sinner's great strength through Chandler and Cusack, just like with Ludo, Its just people expect him to perform WAY better than these two(which is reasonable). People also expected Ludo to perform way better when they saw his 201k PL, and were heavily disappointed with him to say the least. I'm sure you havent forgotten how for months people were laughing at the goddess clan because of Ludo's performance and saying the demon clan were way stronger because of Chandler and Cusack's presence.

I hope his return wont be a disappointment too, I wont write him off til he's dead, not after seeing what Nakaba did with Zeldris. Plenty of options for the Sinner to redeem himself, maybe he has a second form(like Chandler and Cusack did), maybe Crisis is just so incredibly OP that most of Chandler and Cusack's PL went into that innate magic, maybe the DK's curse makes him more susceptible to damage since his body is degenerating, maybe the curse weakens his body, the DK lifting his curse seems like a real possibility soon too. So yeah, i still have hope for old TOD, i hope he wont let me down.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I understand the reasons. I liked Cusack and Chandler as characters, but I am indifferent to Cudler. He is not as entertaining.

Also, Crisis is kinda boring. Regardless, he is still the second strongest Demon who ever existed.