Discussion Why do you like Manga?

sabaku_chou

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I think because I like Japan, haha...

Just kidding. I like Japan, but that's not my reason why I like manga.

I like manga because:
1. I like the arts. Especially shonen manga.
2. The story line is different to each other and really unique.
3. Manga is good to study & learn things
4. etc.

I just really like manga :XD

hatsuharupeace

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I like manga..... probably because anime is simply inferior to manga. You can't get better than manga.

DemonDays

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
England
I like it because it's the canon story. I can't watch an anime adapted from a manga if it doesn't follow the storyline strictly. I like things how the author intended them.
Or the artist in this case.

abu_89

Manga Editor
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I love stories, and most manga, for me, just 'clicks' into place.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I like manga because of the story as well as art. I never read comics and honestly, they don't appeal to me the way manga does. Probably because manga tend to have better or more complicated story, and it's not just about patriotism of own country. Plus, it's easier to read since it gets scanlated and posted online, whereas I MIGHT have to go in store for comics. Plus, it doesn't seem as filler-y as anime and is usually the original source, meaning no stupid things like Goku and Piccolo learning to drive or Naruto getting lost on the day of chuunin exam. It's as straight to the point as it could possibly be.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Possibly the advantage of Manga over Anime for me personally is that Manga is less time consuming and exhausting. For example, I could only watch 4-5 episodes of Anime per day if I push myself and resulting in exhaustion at the end of the day, but I could read 6-7 volumes of Manga in a day without having any problem afterwards. Besides, you could do speed reading with Manga, but I believe you cannot speed watching an Anime.

Beatrice

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Personally I'm enjoying Manga mainly because I always regarded Imagination as some kind of magic.
It allows to create worlds and beings that simply cannot exist in reality.
I'm sure every person at some point in their life wishes to escape reality and that's what Imagination is there for.
Manga allows that even if for a glimpse to enter a different world even if it's not real, which is why there are so many characters, you can identify with them.
Imagine a world without fantasy......
Of course there is a limit and shouldn't get too sunk into Imagination.

It's the same as with watching Movies, let's say....Lord of the Rings.
We enter different Worlds, escaping reality and for some it's a way to forget their troubles.

Last edited:
Reactions: M3J

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Mostly because of the different themes, settings, different culture than my own and so forth.

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Everyone gave really good reasons! :super

What I love about manga is its variety: there's something for everyone including those who are either cynical and/or have never read manga before. Since there are tons of stories being published each year, I'm sure there's at least one title that will appeal to someone. If you want romance, there's romance. (Is the setting in high school or a workplace?) If you want action, there's action. (Do the characters have special powers or do they achieve certain feats with physical strength alone?)

This goes for comics as well, but I'm always impressed by how intricate stories could be told through pictures and speech bubbles. Unlike novels where the author can manipulate words to hide and show something through metaphors, manga has to be careful and think outside the box if they want to incorporate literary techniques such as foreshadowing. If they show too little, the readers won't get it later on, but it will be too obvious if they show too much.

I also have huge respect for mangaka since it's not an easy thing to do to make this occupation a living. They have to go through the stress of trying to get serialized, facing rejection, cancellation, meeting deadlines, etc. I've seen several timetables of mangaka (albeit only weekly ones), and apart from food, sleep and bathing, they virtually have no "off" time. Virtually every single day and hour consists of work.

Shabozz

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Manga takes me away I love American comics big dc fan love batman green lantern etc, but manga just put all the things that people did not think was capable not only is it like reading a book but, also like a deep story that can make you express feelings like hate, luaghter, love, and even more. I like manga be cause not only does it put me in them situations it opens my mind to new things and better understanding of how far the rabbit hole/ imagination of someone can go.

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Well, to start with I have never encountered Western comics so to say (I only watched the movie adaptations) especially when I was little so I could be rather biased. My earliest memory of manga is when my neighbor gave me old comics she had before she moved away. I liked it, but that's that. In junior high school there was a place which let people to borrow manga, and some of my friends brought me there and made me tried some titles. A while later I discovered internet and that I could use it to read manga, so I continued.

As to why I didn't stop reading manga... The posts above me had described all of my reasons, but the strongest would be because I wanted to find something different. Be it fantasy or slice of life, there is always something new and different from what I have, and it becomes somehow inspiring. Added with much exposure since I was small (anime as well), eventually I always want more manga.

Last edited:

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
three major reasons

as a child and teenager i really loved american comic books, anf in my opinion manga is.just a higher quality more educated and mature version of a comic book

i started liking anime which led to me following some of the same series by reading the manga

and most importantly i believe manga allows ones imagination to link the panels together, and put the action into motion

Liger Zero

Banned
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I enjoy mainly for the art it's detailed unlike regular comics wich are like cookie cutter stand stills. You get a since of movement I just find my self emersed in the moment like reading Kenichi dor examole I can feel the punches flying of the page it's like there watching the event unfold. Manga is a wonderful daydream to which escape reality.

jakensama

MH Senpai
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always been a fan of the visual arts, as well as good storytelling. You can get both of these in certain manga. The manga I read most often are the ones that combine incredible art with mature deep storytelling. Such a combination is not easy to find even in this medium, but in western comics it is even more rare.