Discussion Why do you read shoujo/josei series?

What makes you read shoujo/josei?


  • Total voters
    15

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
The question is simple, right? Why do you like shoujo/josei series, or if you don't really like it but occasionally read it, what makes you read them?

Shoujo/Josei series are quite typical compared to others and sometimes it is always being identified with girls, romance, and all those lovey-dovey moment. XD Despite such things, why do you keep reading them? Is it the beautiful art you don't find at other series? Or is the plot? Or simply because you want to take a break from another series so you decide to try shoujo/josei? XD Or is it something else?

Don't forget to vote for your top reason in the poll! :3 Happy discussing~
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
My favorite genre is slice of life, so it feels kind of natural reading shoujo manga. I actual do like good romance manga too, as long as it is not smut and never feels like a soap opera. Manga about people, manga that express honest, natural emotion are my favorite and I have found many shoujo manga that meet those criteria.

As a fan of manga I do not discriminate between any of the demographics, if a series interests me I don't care if it is shounen, seinen, shoujo, and josei. As long as a series is well written and interesting I will give it a try.
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
To be honest, back then when I first came in to contact with manga, I read shoujo series (especially; even until now I haven't read that many josei titles) because I was looking for the cool graphic artwork. At that time, it was up to such point that when the artwork of the manga is not good in my eyes, I'd just skip it; not paying attention to any other details. But as I grown up, my preference changed. Especially since I used English more and learned of reading manga online, I began to pay more attention to the plot. Now, I prefer series with good plot rather than with beautiful artwork. (I guess I'm kinda lucky that the series which I think have good plots have good artwork as well, eh? XDD)

Almost similar to Kaiten, my reason for reading shoujo/josei is because the plot offers something different. I tend to read fantastical/adventure series, which mostly do not emphasize on the romance part. It can be exhausting sometimes to keep reading them, so reading shoujo/josei series give me a refreshed feeling. The problems, though may be cliche sometimes, are natural and can be real.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The problems, though may be cliche sometimes, are natural and can be real.
Actually, that is something important to me. I don't mind the same old cliches or tropes so long as they are heart felt. Gaining confidence, falling in love for the first time, and making new friends may be cliche but it is something that everyone has lived through. As long as I care about the characters and can identify emotionally the same problems can have new impact.

I have read a fair amount of josei but find it very hard comparing what I read to shoujo. There certainly is a lot of josei that could be, but most of what I read compares better to seinen.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I rarely read them, and by this I mean Josei manga but ever since I heard they were the equivalent of seinen for female readers can not just let them pass by, well they did not grasp my attention as seinen ones but certainly are there when it comes to the adult themes explored in them, most are rather artistically brilliant and really catch my eye in that department and sometime I confuse the two demographics. xD
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Actually, that is something important to me. I don't mind the same old cliches or tropes so long as they are heart felt. Gaining confidence, falling in love for the first time, and making new friends may be cliche but it is something that everyone has lived through. As long as I care about the characters and can identify emotionally the same problems can have new impact.
I agree. If I read a similar problem or situation from series to series too much, I would end up comparing them and expecting a bit more. Sometimes it disappoints me, but other times it also surprises me that a series can present it and solve it differently. That's why it is interesting, I suppose. :3

I rarely read them, and by this I mean Josei manga but ever since I heard they were the equivalent of seinen for female readers can not just let them pass by, well they did not grasp my attention as seinen ones but certainly are there when it comes to the adult themes explored in them, most are rather artistically brilliant and really catch my eye in that department and sometime I confuse the two demographics. xD
Ah, I see~ Even as a 'counterpart' of seinen, josei would still have romance element in it, I suppose? That's what makes it fresh from shounen and seinen, perhaps. :3
 

heartofprincess

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 23, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
England
I read shojo for various reasons. A lot of it has to do with the stories and the plot, as I prefer how shojo goes more in depth with its character development and how the characters interact with each other. I also love the art work in shojo as each character can carry there emotions with just expression and I love that. Also the actual clothes that they were can just be beautiful such as Akagami no Shirayukihime, I can't get enough of the art work in this manga. But the reason to keep reading is that I just enjoy the whole story and every aspect of it XD
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Nothing is perfect; shoujo and josei series included. Often I found a so-so shoujo/josei artworks (mostly minor works, or if I have to take it harsh, I don't really like the artwork of Nodame Cantabile), but it is the other elements which drive me crazy about them. Mostly the plot and how the characters develop, finding more sides of themselves, changing their views on various things. Like what heartofprincess said.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
I don't really read Shoujo/Josei for the Art. I even found that this standardized flowery art plays against it. I wished there was more variety like there is in Seinen. But a good plot makes for it. I also like the little texts aparté. There are really typical of 'girl' manga and are usually really funny.
 

rudorofu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2012
Messages
104
Reaction score
47
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Mainly read shoujo and not many josei series, but the reason behind choosing to read them is for the romantic and sweet moments (: I'm a hopeless romantic at heart who's very traditional when it comes to romance and since there are some situations that would be unrealistic in real life, might as well read them in fiction :P Additionally, I find that mangaka who write shoujo have pretty nice, detailed artwork.
 

Nodamechi

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 6, 2012
Messages
12
Reaction score
5
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest I stopped reading that many shoujo manga, as I got to the point where the cliches were a bit too much. However I still like jousei. Maybe it's just a matter that I can't really relate to shoolgirls feelings, since I finished high school :hee

That doesn't mean that if I find a really good shoujo manga I won't read it for the excessive sparkles. If the art is really exceptional I will probably go for it :)
Also, another reason may be the fact that I really like slice of life stories and those where there is a very strong woman or a very weird man :zomg.
 

Gantzter127

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
181
Reaction score
36
Age
30
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
The art, the joy, the romance. I love everything about Josei/Shoujo.
 

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
1,475
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
I think I read shoujo because it offers a lighter plot. I mostly read heavy stories, so I need refreshment once in a while, and most of shoujo/josei offers this.
There are also times when I read them just because I want to torture myself (envying the characters' romance or rubbing salt on my heart's wound). :oh
Some other time, I just want to look at bishies... :love
 

matzik1212

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
1,646
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
Well that would be 'cause of the art . :) Most of these type of mangas have a really good art which is a plus for me , i mean if the story isn't that great at least if the art is good i'll finish what i started :p .
But i have to admit that i read Shoujo sometimes and i am very pretentious to this type of genre . I don't like retarded characters at all ( i mean girls that go all gaga for a dude :errr)
 

yukihime03

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 5, 2011
Messages
4,649
Reaction score
1,475
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Indonesia
I don't like retarded characters at all ( i mean girls that go all gaga for a dude :errr)
Ah yeah, the stupid main female characters. I sometimes want to squash them because I'm furious to see their foolishness, but if the story is good, I'll just control myself. But if it's not good... I hope no one is near me by then.
This kind of girls is the weakness of shoujo manga, though lately the characters have evolved to be better girls.
 

phio_chan

the first and last bride
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 11, 2011
Messages
9,149
Reaction score
3,397
Age
33
Gender
Female
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I don't really read Shoujo/Josei for the Art. I even found that this standardized flowery art plays against it. I wished there was more variety like there is in Seinen. But a good plot makes for it. I also like the little texts aparté. There are really typical of 'girl' manga and are usually really funny.
That, perhaps, is one of the inviting points for romance fans. I can't say for everyone but for myself, I'm not very picky in terms of art or graphic as long as I'm satisfied with the other components, mainly the plot. Shoujo or josei artwork might be similar to each other and made as beautiful and detailed as ever to be inviting. ^^

Also, another reason may be the fact that I really like slice of life stories and those where there is a very strong woman or a very weird man :zomg.
I don't like retarded characters at all ( i mean girls that go all gaga for a dude :errr)
LOL~ This is kind of a double-edged sword for me. At times it would turn me away if I can't stand the 'strange-ness' of the characters, but at other times it keeps me interested as well. XD I thought perhaps it would be interesting to actually see them growing and be better persons. XD
 

matzik1212

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
3,855
Reaction score
1,646
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
Romania
LOL~ This is kind of a double-edged sword for me. At times it would turn me away if I can't stand the 'strange-ness' of the characters, but at other times it keeps me interested as well. XD I thought perhaps it would be interesting to actually see them growing and be better persons. XD
Yeah that would be good but it often doesn't happen so ... I just hate weak girls who accept about anything from one guy :-_- I mean hellooo there's like billions out there so why make yourself miserable for one dude right :^_^
 
Top