Favorites Worst Manga Ending

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
What manga do you think has the least satisfying ending and why? Lists and multiple entries are welcome as long as a reason or description of why you find the ending so lame.

First series that comes to mind is Becchin to Mandara a one volume series by the mangaka of Freesia. Everything was set for an interesting ending but there was no resolution to the story at all. The characters were not given any motivation for acting the way they did, no reason for living where they lived, and no reason to continue doing so after the manga ended. A big, black mark against an otherwise intelligent, interesting manga.

Moderator Notice:
Warning: Remember to be careful of spoilers throughout this thread!~ Asarii
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hm... thinking... thinking...
I haven't found a single really disappointing ending so far. Even though for at least two manga people complained all over the web for their endings:
-> Planetes. Very open ending, many say it ends without concluding a single thing. I think that it isn't a problem though. Planetes dealt with a variety of topics very well and never depended on the storyline as itself. The ending was totally fine imo, there was nothing wrong with ending at that specific point. It did conclude a lot of things for the moment, while leaving many possible future scenarios.
-> Shigurui. Many people complain that it was too short, unsatisfying, not plausible. I think that it indeed is rather short, but not too short. It shows what has to be shown and is consistent/plausible, even though it takes some thinking and might not offer "the" one and only explanation. Let's just say that it ends very suitable for a drama story like Shigurui!

I do see a potentially bad ending for Nononono though. It's ended in Japan a while ago already, many people complained. At the current state of Edited Mangas (~95) I already think the story is kinda deteriorating and too far away from what made it good, way overstressing the staging and arts style put into the manga and in general delivering a weird atmosphere.
 
Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Is it a bad ending if I want it to last longer? :p

But seriously I believe it was a Jump manga called Ane Doki, the art really captured my eye. It was a really rare series with a plot that had ecchi stuff in it a lot, but somehow I really overlooked that. It just felt that when the end came that was not it. The series did not have a bad ending, but before it came to a conclusion it should have explained more. And that is a worst ending for me, when a manga can go for even more chapters and yet it ended.

Of course this might have been because of the Jump axing policy towards low - ranked series. But I forgot if Ane Doki was doing good in the ToC when it was serialized.

YuYu Hakusho was another for the same things as Ane Doki, pre mature ending I don't know it felt rushed. And for me rushed=ruined, it is often the case though today with the Jump series. But this was a series that was done a long time ago. The story could have gone a long way. The plot could have gone many ways, sure I do not mind the ending but at least it should have gone for a few more arcs.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
666 Satan and Eyeshield 21. The former's ending felt so rushed, as if Kishimoto was dying to work on his new series Blazer Drive, whilst the latter should have ended right after the Christmas Bowl, instead of dragging out for a couple more chapters. The world tournament actually had potential, plus I wanted to see Panther again, but it was so rushed. So yeah, Eyeshield 21 managed to have a rushed and prolonged ending at the same time.
 

Mr. Arashi

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 6, 2010
Messages
882
Reaction score
183
Gender
Male
Country
Chile
Certainly Full Metal Alchemist. It has a lot of plot-holes in the main concept of equality. More over, it was like made only to the children readers.

Other ending mangas are really worse, but i have to given some credit for other reasons that Arakawa doesn't has.

Perhaps, the worst mangaka giving an end to his mangas is Naoki Urasawa. His popular works were good but just PLUTO was the only with a decent ending.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
666 Satan and Eyeshield 21. The former's ending felt so rushed, as if Kishimoto was dying to work on his new series Blazer Drive, whilst the latter should have ended right after the Christmas Bowl, instead of dragging out for a couple more chapters. The world tournament actually had potential, plus I wanted to see Panther again, but it was so rushed. So yeah, Eyeshield 21 managed to have a rushed and prolonged ending at the same time.
I never made it to the end of Eyeshield. I hated that post-Christmas Bowl all star tournament felt tacked on, like it added nothing to the story. The Christmas Bowl wouldn't have been that good an ending anyway, I really didn't care about that team from Osaka or Kyoto or w/e. I really wish they had saved Ojo for the Christmas Bowl.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Is it a bad ending if I want it to last longer? :p

But seriously I believe it was a Jump manga called Ane Doki, the art really captured my eye. It was a really rare series with a plot that had ecchi stuff in it a lot, but somehow I really overlooked that. It just felt that when the end came that was not it. The series did not have a bad ending, but before it came to a conclusion it should have explained more. And that is a worst ending for me, when a manga can go for even more chapters and yet it ended.

Of course this might have been because of the Jump axing policy towards low - ranked series. But I forgot if Ane Doki was doing good in the ToC when it was serialized.

YuYu Hakusho was another for the same things as Ane Doki, pre mature ending I don't know it felt rushed. And for me rushed=ruined, it is often the case though today with the Jump series. But this was a series that was done a long time ago. The story could have gone a long way. The plot could have gone many ways, sure I do not mind the ending but at least it should have gone for a few more arcs.
The only problem I had with Yu Yu's ending was that they didn't show the fights in the tournament, otherwise it wasn't that bad, to be honest.

Oh, the SDF suicide bomb thingie was horrible though.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Double Arts
New character introduced, and then suddenly it ended? :blink Totally abrupt and just... Bad. The manga itself was pretty good and it really sucks that it had to end that way because it wasn't doing well on the TOCs. A really unsatisfying ending.
 

Cyber34

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2010
Messages
241
Reaction score
60
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Shaman King, has the worst ending of any manga I have read.
 
  • Like
Reactions: R4n

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Shaman King's ending was so bad it was legendary. At least Takei got a do over when the kanzenban came out.

Double Arts
New character introduced, and then suddenly it ended? :blink Totally abrupt and just... Bad. The manga itself was pretty good and it really sucks that it had to end that way because it wasn't doing well on the TOCs. A really unsatisfying ending.
Double Arts had one of the most brutal cancellations I can remember. The first part of the series ranked so high that everyone was taken by surprise when it was still canceled so quickly. It somehow went from top 5 to bottom 5 to canceled in thirty chapters >_<
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
In my opinion, even with the many unsatisfactory endings I've read, Hikaru no Go's displeased me the most. It builds up to a point where your expect the story to go on and show Hikaru's rise in the go world then just stops abruptly. Other series like Eyeshield 21 and YuYu Hakusho at least showed signs of ending (Eyeshield had already finished the main plot while YuYu had been deteriorating for quite some time). Hikaru no Go, on the other hand, seemed to continually hint at lasting much longer, and it was really popular so I'm still not sure why it ended -_-;

I'd stick Shaman King with it, but at least it got a proper ending eventually.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Is it a bad sign for Bakuman that Hikaru no Go and Death Note had less than satisfactory endings. Sorry Sally :(
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Although it wasn't the worst ending I've read, I'd rather have Hikaru no Go end before the Hokuto Cup. That "Part 2" seemed out of place so it would have been better as a side-story.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Is it a bad sign for Bakuman that Hikaru no Go and Death Note had less than satisfactory endings. Sorry Sally :(
Don't scare me please :scry

But I dunno if that's a valid argument, seeing as Hikaru no Go's story was not by Ohba Tsugumi :amuse I don't think it's Obata Takeshi's fault that both HnG and DN had bad endings...
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Shaman King, has the worst ending of any manga I have read.
i can't agree more. When i read the ending i feel like i just got trolled. 0__0

I feel very sad and mad Ash died in the end. I don't see the point ;__;
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Mirai Nikki had a God-awful ending. The entire last arc was a giant anticlimax, but the final chapter takes the cake. It ended nicely, but there was an epilogue attached... Just thinking about that epilogue makes me shudder.
 

NoNamesAtAll

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
May 15, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Totally agree, Shaman King has the worst ending that I have ever read, Eye Sheild 21 went on way too long like other people said, and 666 satan felt sooo rushed that the ending itself was not bad, but like I said, it just skips over so much potential just to get to the ending.
 

ashher

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
1,967
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Bangladesh
Certainly Full Metal Alchemist. It has a lot of plot-holes in the main concept of equality. More over, it was like made only to the children readers.

Other ending mangas are really worse, but i have to given some credit for other reasons that Arakawa doesn't has.

Perhaps, the worst mangaka giving an end to his mangas is Naoki Urasawa. His popular works were good but just PLUTO was the only with a decent ending.
wow i always felt the other way around. Pluto to me is the only one of uasawa's work which seemed to have a rather weak ending, completely riding on deus ex machina.

---------- Post added at 06:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:53 AM ----------

Mirai Nikki had a God-awful ending. The entire last arc was a giant anticlimax, but the final chapter takes the cake. It ended nicely, but there was an epilogue attached... Just thinking about that epilogue makes me shudder.
true we would've been better off the epilogue...i guess the mangaka desperately wanting to make a happy ending :p

still i'm quite fond of the work.

---------- Post added at 06:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

usugi drop for me is the manga which had the worst ending. its totally character driven manga, but i just couldn't digest the way the relationships turned out at the end. it seemed too unnatural to me.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,223
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Right now I can only recall Monster as a manga with an unsatisfying ending. It wasn't really bad but left way too many things unsolved. As great as the whole series was the ending really left me disappointed.


Mirai Nikki had a God-awful ending. The entire last arc was a giant anticlimax, but the final chapter takes the cake. It ended nicely, but there was an epilogue attached... Just thinking about that epilogue makes me shudder.
I guess you refer to the scene where

Yuno breaks through to god-Yuki?

that was definitely unnecessary but besides that I was totally fine with the ending. Could definitely have been better but it was okay.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
usugi drop for me is the manga which had the worst ending. its totally character driven manga, but i just couldn't digest the way the relationships turned out at the end. it seemed too unnatural to me.
Yeah Usagi Drop's ending made me feel really uncomfortable. At the beginning of the second half of the story the mangaka seemed to be heading somewhere with Rin and Kouki, but then everything headed to a completely different direction and she seemed like she was going out of her way to make the manga end the way she wanted it to. My advice to anyone who wants to check out Usagi Drop is to only read the first half of the story (before the time-skip) or to watch the anime, which only animates the first half.
 
Top