- Joined
- Dec 24, 2009
- Messages
- 93
- Reaction score
- 13
- Age
- 38
- Gender
- Hidden
- Country
-
Hello everyone! It's been awhile since I've been around on the forums! Been reading a lot of manga!
So what I feel is the best part of manga is the different usages of Japanese in each different manga. It's a bit harder for me to compare because Japanese is my second language, (as opposed to English, which I usually get *extremely* editorial sometimes haha)
So this post is kind of a "Kishimoto's unique Japanese comparison and patterns" while also kind of a "Compared to other similar manga artist's writing styles.
Of course, this is a discussion about Japanese, so please do not refer to the English translations. Don't get me wrong! I think that the translations are very well done, but this post is about Kishimoto's writing, because he wrote it!
In my opinion, I think that if you are reading a translation, you are reading someone else's writing. So let's all have a go at Kishimoto's writing style!
I personally don't have much to say other than I like the way it flows. I am still just in the "reading and have no opinion on literary style" stage in my Japanese. I need more practice writing/speaking in Japanese though...I feel like my understanding is extremely limited by not forming my ideas into Japanese.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am only on volume 27 right now, so please no spoilers past this point. Also, I admit to having not have read Naruto for a very long time, and when I did read it first, it was the Edited Manga. I forget which group... But I have picked volume 26 as a starting point, I think I was around volume 30 or so in the english one...
So right now I have only read one 1/2 volumes in the Japanese text, but I will continue reading to catch up. I feel very far behind, and feel like I have let the Naruto community down by not having kept up for 2 years or so...
I have watched the entire anime up to shippudan in Japanese though. I guess that counts as something....
Just finished vol 27! Starting 28!!! woah Naruto marathon!!!
some things I've noticed ::
Sorry for the poor translation. I did better than google translate!!
T_T
I'd quote more from that chapter but I would rather continue reading the next volume hahaha.
So what I feel is the best part of manga is the different usages of Japanese in each different manga. It's a bit harder for me to compare because Japanese is my second language, (as opposed to English, which I usually get *extremely* editorial sometimes haha)
So this post is kind of a "Kishimoto's unique Japanese comparison and patterns" while also kind of a "Compared to other similar manga artist's writing styles.
Of course, this is a discussion about Japanese, so please do not refer to the English translations. Don't get me wrong! I think that the translations are very well done, but this post is about Kishimoto's writing, because he wrote it!
In my opinion, I think that if you are reading a translation, you are reading someone else's writing. So let's all have a go at Kishimoto's writing style!
I personally don't have much to say other than I like the way it flows. I am still just in the "reading and have no opinion on literary style" stage in my Japanese. I need more practice writing/speaking in Japanese though...I feel like my understanding is extremely limited by not forming my ideas into Japanese.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that I am only on volume 27 right now, so please no spoilers past this point. Also, I admit to having not have read Naruto for a very long time, and when I did read it first, it was the Edited Manga. I forget which group... But I have picked volume 26 as a starting point, I think I was around volume 30 or so in the english one...
So right now I have only read one 1/2 volumes in the Japanese text, but I will continue reading to catch up. I feel very far behind, and feel like I have let the Naruto community down by not having kept up for 2 years or so...
I have watched the entire anime up to shippudan in Japanese though. I guess that counts as something....
Just finished vol 27! Starting 28!!! woah Naruto marathon!!!
some things I've noticed ::
I've noticed Kishimoto likes to use names like "shiroi no kiba" (white fang)
Kakashi and Obito were having a disagreement on the priorities of their team. Obito finally decided to go after Rin, and the line 「俺は”白いの牙”を本当の英雄だと思ってる…仲間を大切にしない奴はそれ以上のクズだ。」
[ore wa "shiroi no kiba" wo hontou no eiyuu dato omotteru...nakama wo taisetsu ni shinai yatsu wa sore ijyou no kuzu da.]
Basically (When I think of the hero "White Fang" I would think their priorities lie in protecting their team members, but I see that was bullshit.)
Kakashi and Obito were having a disagreement on the priorities of their team. Obito finally decided to go after Rin, and the line 「俺は”白いの牙”を本当の英雄だと思ってる…仲間を大切にしない奴はそれ以上のクズだ。」
[ore wa "shiroi no kiba" wo hontou no eiyuu dato omotteru...nakama wo taisetsu ni shinai yatsu wa sore ijyou no kuzu da.]
Basically (When I think of the hero "White Fang" I would think their priorities lie in protecting their team members, but I see that was bullshit.)
Sorry for the poor translation. I did better than google translate!!
T_T
I "White Fang" I think the real heroes do not care ... he is a friend more junk.
Last edited: