I really have to say something. I think, actually, I'm 98% positive that Yuuko will be back.
When Wata-chan said 'I'll wait for as long as it takes' it was soo similar to Cardcaptor Sakura which went like this:
Sakura - I'll wait...forever if I have to.
Once I read that part, it instantly clicked. Yuuko will be back. It may not be right away, but, without a doubt, she will be back. The lines are too similar for me to not believe it. I'm not looking for false hope. I truly know that she will be back.
I do not think so not if we are reading the same things yuko has said time and again when your dead your dead you cant be bought back so unless she is reincarnated straight away that is not happening besides wantanuki has confessed to Himawari in book 10 and he hasn't changed his mind yet about who he likes so lets just see what happens first.
Obviously he doesn't like Yuuko in that way. Yuuko just goes with Clow.
I don't know if she'll be back... It does seem a bit contradictory. But Wata-chan is going to wait for her! So then she has to come back in SOME form. But she won't be alive.
Maybe her face will appear in the sky and tell wata what to do!
@SilverSakura - I have to agree. It may take a long time, but Watanuki and Yuuko will meet again. Somehow. Someway.
@kuro - yes, if Yuuko is to die, she will be dead. I do not think CLAMP would undermine this fundamental truth they've strived so long to support in their works. However, even if Yuuko were to become fully and completely dead, she and Watanuki could still meet. CLAMP's done this on many occasions. CCS!Sakura's mother Nadeshiko talked to both Touya and Fujitaka as a ghost. Whatshisface was reinincarnated in Wish and was able to meet Kohaku again. Even Haruka in xxxholic is able to meet new people like Watanuki and Yuuko through dreams.
Beware: wall of text about Japanese meanings of like/love.
By the way, I feel to consider the exchange in Volume 10 a love confession to be a case of poor translation. Yes, I understand even the official Del Rey releases basically convey the feeling of a confession, but the Japanese doesn't support it. There are several different ways of saying that one person cares about another in Japanese. What Watanuki says to Himawari in Vol. 10 is, おれひまわりちゃん大好きだから、泣かせたりしないよ。("Ore Himawari-chan daisuki dakara, nakasetari shinai yo.") Or: I really like you Himawari-chan, so I won't make you cry [or other actions similar to crying].
"Suki" is an adjectival noun meaning "liked/favorite" and "daisuki" just means "big like". Oddly enough, from my experience, even though one might think that daisuki would be used for that special someone a person likes (since daisuki sounds like it's saying that the person is the very favorite person), it's actually quite the opposite. A true love confession in anime/manga always uses "suki" (or rarely the more potent, "aishiteru"). That's why in the recent Tsubasa
when Sakura and Syaoran confess their love, Sakura uses "suki" and not "daisuki".
"Daisuki" feels very platonic to me. "Daisuki" is like the kind of love two close friends feel for one another. What Watanuki is saying here is that he likes Himawari a lot. He cares very much for her and she is important to him. But he's not saying anything about romantic love.
However, at the same time, "daisuki" may not require that it's totally 100% platonic love no questions asked. There may be wiggle-room there. For example, in the CardCaptor Sakura manga Tomoyo says to Sakura, わたしもさくらちゃんが大好きですわ。("Watashi mo Sakura-chan ga daisuki desu wa.") Or: I like you a lot too Sakura chan. Sakura then says, "わたしも" ("watashi mo"), or "Me too." Tomoyo then speaks to herself, saying that きっとさくらちゃんとは違う意味の「好き」ですけど。 ("kitto Sakura-chan to wa chigau imi no "suki" desu kedo...") Or: "But I'm sure that Sakura-chan and I have different meanings of "like".
So in this example, Tomoyo says "daisuki" to Sakura, which Sakura takes at its surface level. On the surface, Tomoyo is saying that she likes Sakura a lot (like a good friend). But underneath it, Tomoyo says that she meant something more than a friend as well. But when she explains it, she uses "suki" and not the "daisuki" that she used earlier. Which I think implies that the "daisuki" is still not a love confession. However, I can understand someone interpreting this example differently.
Oh and if anyone's curious the words Watanuki said to Yuuko recently, in 181 he called her his 大事なひと, or a person that is precious to him (but also without any romantic implications), and in 182 she returns the favor back to him.
I hope that made sense. I think I lost my train of thought somewhere along the way...
Well, I still kinda have hopes for wata/zashiki warashi. Because it IS going to happen.
But I like Himawari more now than I did when Zashiki warashi was actually around (I hate it how in the del ray translation they refer to her as THE zashiki warashi. It just sounds weird).
I agree about Watanuki still being able to see Yuuko even if she's dead. He sees Haruka in the dream world, after all. Lol maybe Clow will be there too and they can have a monologue session. I'm sure Clow is just as good, if not better than Yuuko and Fei Wang, at going on long cryptic rants.
Whoa, Shirubia, seriously. You like Wata/Zashiki too? I thought everyone was a Wata/Wari fan. Win.
OT: Long monologue huh? It would be nice to see. Clow just talking and explaining EVERYTHING! XD
You know, I've never really got the Yuuko Watanuki thing people talk about. I always thought of wata-chan thinking of Yuuko as a motherly (abeit drunk, crazy one) figure. Not lover. Just my opinion.
You know, I've never really got the Yuuko Watanuki thing people talk about. I always thought of wata-chan thinking of Yuuko as a motherly (abeit drunk, crazy one) figure. Not lover. Just my opinion.
I'd have to agree, I've never seen it as a romantic relationship, more like a mother-son relationship. (What a waste of a post, I just realised I had repeated what you said>.<)
It's nice to see that I'm not alone on the Watanuki-Zashiki Warashi bandwagon
hello every-1...^^
It's will be better if yuuko is his mother.....son of clow en yuuko.....or maybe son of eriol en kaho....
well,,I vote 4 watanuki en zashiki....himawari en doumeki.....
anyway,,does anybody see mokonas???????????specialy the black one.T.T
GYAAAA...no.... now I'm so crazyy think about black mokonas.....
I wonder....why clamp is so smart....if I think about it....clamp allredy think 2 making tsubasaholic since cardcaptor appear...since eriol said something when he explain it all(sorry...I'm forget what he said....) what do u think????
clamp_sakura: Welcome to the boards. Actually, your theory about Yuuko being Watanuki's mother with Clow as his father... if we only read xxxHolic that would actually look possible. But we already know from Tsubasa
that his parents are the same as Shaoran's.
But, it would make a great "alternate reality" story. And with reality being so messed up, it would be OK if it were suddenly true. XD
I really don't know for sure if CLAMP was thinking of creating Tsubasa and xxxHolic while making CCS or not. I think the idea came along later by itself, but I don't know. So, who knows! CLAMP is such a mysterious group. Someone needs to ask them at an interview! I would find it interesting.
On pairings: I lean toward Watanuki x Himawari-chaaaaaaaaan, simply because Wata loves her soooo much and it's adorable. X3 Zashiki is adorable in her own way though, loves Watanuki tons, and would do ANYTHING to gain his affection, even things that, to us, seem unreasonable.
She operates on her own reasoning, being an other-worldly being. And Watanuki's so open-minded that he'd be willing to put effort into understanding her. So I definitely wouldn't be against that relationship. It'd be an adventure, a whirlwind of discovery between a human and a mini-gami, with the risk of the supernatural at hand making it always interesting. It'd be a fun story in and of itself.
But for some reason, the fact that Watanuki so openly adores Himawari makes it feel more natural to me in my personal opinion, since it was established so early and throughout the whole story. (Though I definitely see how the unexpectedness of Zashiki Warashi's approach works to the same though opposite effect to many others). And poor Himawari can't have anyone get too close to her. I want to see her be confident enough one day to allow herself to get close to Watanuki... though Doumeki would probably have to be nearby at all times to guard them against disaster.
I don't see Wata x Doumeki as a romantic pairing, but more like two parts to a whole (sort of like Kurogane and Fai over in Tsubasa). Doumeki pretty much always has to be with Watanuki, as fulfilment of his wish (protection from the supernatural), to keep him alive as necessary (disaster may befall many if Watanuki were to disappear), and he brings spark out of him for reasons yet unknown. (I hope we get to find out why Watanuki hated Doumeki so much ever since meeting him, there's a lotta cool theories out there though.).
Doumeki will be a constant companion to Watanuki for the rest of his life, reviled yet necessary. Watanuki hates him, yet trusts him so completely that he can tell him anything that seems totally crazy, and Doumeki in turn trusts him enough to always believe him. It's one of those relationships that has no name in any language I know of.
And me, I love Wata like a friend, and I want him to be happy! So I continue to root for his enthusiastic cries of "Himawari-chaaaaaaaaaan!!!". But I smile warmly for Zashiki-Warashi and would be happy if that came to pass too. ^_^
Little random theory: I wonder if Doumeki constantly has Watanuki making food for him... to keep tabs on him. Since he is so sensitive to the feelings behind whoever makes his food (as has been pointed out in the story), I think that he constantly keeps Watanuki cooking so he can taste and see how he's doing. That way he'll be prepared to deal with whatever troubles Watanuki the most.
The sad thing about Wata/Zashiki is the standard problem with relationships between humans and supernatural/inmortal/spiritual entities.
The human will eventually die, and that's a big downer. Of course, they may join spiritually, which would be cool. But I think human souls wouldn't make it easy where the Zashiki Warashi lives.
Yea, wata is epically cute (and spazzy) around himawari. Although the same is true about Zashiki Warashi around wata. I hope we at least see her again. I wonder if the spirits will forget Yuuko. Some of them probably knew her when she was actually alive.
I wonder if the fortune teller was alive when Yuuko was actually alive... Like, how long has all this been going on for, in relation to the holic world?
I don't think the fortune teller ever alive when yuko alive.....
speaking of world,,I think all the world from kobato, xxxholic, and cardcaptor are the same....
4 cardcaptor I'm not sure....but I remember kobato met the fortune teller....
wata is cute when he with himawari but when he with zashki....the aura look so adult
Little random theory: I wonder if Doumeki constantly has Watanuki making food for him... to keep tabs on him. Since he is so sensitive to the feelings behind whoever makes his food (as has been pointed out in the story), I think that he constantly keeps Watanuki cooking so he can taste and see how he's doing. That way he'll be prepared to deal with whatever troubles Watanuki the most.
While I'm a DouxWata fan through and through (same with KuroxFai) and could rant about the obvious CLAMP subtext for both pairings for ages, but that's neither here nor there . I find this theory of yours most interesting. Doumeki takes Watanuki's cooking for him rather seriously, and while he obviously enjoys it very much I always thought there was something more to it, and your idea is very interesting and even plausible. Doumeki-kun is such good friends with Watanuki-kun! xDD.
I'm very sad about Yuuko but don't think she'll ever come back. I'm putting my faith in Mokona's earing, 'cause Yuuko seems to have known Watanuki from the start and they surely had lots of memories together than were forgotten when Watanuki made his wish. Meeting her again that way, through his past memories, is way more sadder and evilly 'clampish' so I'll go with that.
I'm very sad about Yuuko but don't think she'll ever come back. I'm putting my faith in Mokona's earing, 'cause Yuuko seems to have known Watanuki from the start and they surely had lots of memories together than were forgotten when Watanuki made his wish. Meeting her again that way, through his past memories, is way more sadder and evilly 'clampish' so I'll go with that.
After re-reading the chapter, I have to agree *cries louder* Watanuki states here that he wants to meet her again if he wishes hard enough, but we all know that every wish has a price... and it would be so 'clampish' that he would meet her in his old memories. XD
Does anyone else think that the last page suggests Watanuki's the heir of the shop now? Just a thought.
Aww, I forgot about that line, about Watanuki actually being unable to see spirits anymore... that would suck. It's a little odd that CLAMP would put that in there, in my selfish opinion... Cuz all this time I thought they were doing it the clever way in the background all this time: As long as Doumeki's around Watanuki, his aura keeps the spirits from harassing him, thus round-aboutly granting his wish all this time.
But, it's their story so they can take the direct approach if they want... But I liked the previous arrangement, dangit, it was creative. And what about the fox spirits and Zashiki-Warashi? Or the clients who have problems due to spirits? Watanuki not seeing them would suuuuuck...
But yeah, Watanuki's almost certainly moving up from heir to owner of the shop. He does so well and that arrangement would be nice.
04/27 - Young Magazine #22/23 - Chapter 180 05/11 - Young Magazine #24 - No xxxHOLiC
05/18 - Young Magazine #25 - Chapter 181
05/25 - Young Magazine #26 - Chapter 182
well looks like we get a break on the 11th now.
05/18 - Young Magazine #25 - Chapter 181 05/25 - Young Magazine #26 - Chapter 182
06/01 - Young Magazine #27 - No xxxHOLiC
06/08 - Young Magazine #28 - No xxxHOLiC
06/01 - Young Magazine #27 - No xxxHOLiC
06/08 - Young Magazine #28 - No xxxHOLiC
06/15 - Young Magazine #29 - No xxxHOLiC
06/22 - Young Magazine #30 - No xxxHOLiC
well no holic for a month... hope TRC makes up for the lack of holic... i want yuuko back... *cries*
there is!!! here the schedule...I got it 4 chibiyuuto:
here 4 tsubasa:
05/27 - Shonen Magazine #26 - No Tsubasa scheduled (on sale).
06/03 - Shonen Magazine #27 - No Tsubasa scheduled (CLAMP changed that. Chapter 222 was scheduled for this issue).
06/10 - Shonen Magazine #28 - Chapter 222.
06/17 - Shonen Magazine #29 - Chapter 223.
Chapter 222 has been pushed by a week, no good!
here 4 holic:
06/01 - Young Magazine #27 - No XXXHOLiC scheduled (on sale).
06/08 - Young Magazine #28 - No XXXHOLiC scheduled.
06/15 - Young Magazine #29 - No XXXHOLiC scheduled.
06/22 - Young Magazine #30 - No XXXHOLiC scheduled.
06/29 - Young Magazine #31 - Chapter 183 - Beginning of tankoubon 16.
As revealed in Chapter 182, XXXHOLiC will be back on June 29.