Seinen xxxHolic by CLAMP

Who is your favorite xxxHOLIC character?

  • Kimihiro Watanuki

    Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Yūko Ichihara

    Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Shizuka Dōmeki

    Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Himawari Kunogi

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mokona Modoki

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Kohane Tsuyuri

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Maru and Moro

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haruka Dōmeki (Shizuka's grandfather)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mugetsu (Kudakitsune)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zashiki-warashi

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Reed Clow

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

    Votes: 1 2.2%

  • Total voters
    45

oralyon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
213
Reaction score
39
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

This is awesome in a way but in another I'm really starting to believe that this might be bad. As someone said before, Watanuki is now doing something that he depised before. He my alos start drinking you said.

I'm thinking now... We have a Watanuki that want to see Yuuko at any cost, that has paid a huge price for it. That can't leave the shop, is starting smoking, has a eye that belong to someone else and that is a relative from Clow

And we have a FWR that want to see Yuuko at all cost, never leave is place for some reason, drink wine and has a monocle and is a relative from clow.

Coould the fact that FWR cannot leave his dimension and Watanuki being unable to leave the shop be linked ? There's to much hint for it to just be a coincidence I think. It's kind of scary to think that Watanuki would actually be FWR. My guess is that somehow, the egg will bring to the existence of two Watanuki, FWR and Clow. Or that the egg will be used to change Watanuki future.
 
Last edited:

idlemind009

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

Wow how could I overlook the link connecting fei wong and watanuki in their shared desire to see Yuko
 

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I think Watanuki is carrying a big burden of doing this, but he's made his choice. However, it seems all too confusing: the whole point of the XXXholic/TRC universe was to clearly state that it is not possible to bring back a person to life. On the other hand,XXXholic was about Watanuki's maturation and determination, which has really taken a step forward in this chapter. And Yuuko said it herself- wishes can become reality if you wish hard and long enough. So I'm frankly curious and a bit anxious to see where this is going.

I hope XXXholic doesn't stop around the same time as TRC (which will be soon) though. It has way too much potential to do that. NO, i think around 100 more chapters and it will be good to end it. :D

As for the pipe smoking, I'm not afraid (actually I thought it was interesting), it just shows the depth of Watanuki's maturation. ^^
 

idlemind009

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: The Yuuko Ichihara Shrine

As weird as it sounds...the truth is that reading this manga has changed ME as well. I wonder why. Yuko's words not only come from the heart, but they resound with a truth that comes from experience and the observance of life.


Her words encapsulate experiences of the human condition in a way that we ourselves are sometimes too blind to see or too cowardly to admit.
 
Last edited:

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHOLIC spoilers thread

I think Watanuki's made a very difficult choice, and though the whole point of the manga is that you can't bring dead people back to life, I think he'll manage a way. XXXholic is about choices and how they affect everyone. It's also about Watanuki's development. I really don't know about the egg, but I'm sure that Watanuki will stick by his decision. It really has nothing to do with "oh, she's dead, i'm moving on" stuff. It's not an obsession. He realizes that she's important to him, and he's going to abide by what she's taught him.
 

hyl

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
Netherlands
Re: xxxHOLIC spoilers thread

Am I the only one who thinks that Watanaki will eventually become Fei wong Reed?
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
Re: xxxHOLIC spoilers thread

Guys since chapter 185 is out, please continue the discussion in the discussion thread.
 

ShirubiaLamperouge

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2008
Messages
387
Reaction score
50
Gender
Female
Country
New Zealand
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I still think Wata is making a mistake... If he were doing this so that he could like, honor Yuuko's memory by staying on at the shop and granting wishes, I'd be okay with it. But he's not, he's waiting for her to come back, which, as CLAMP (mainly through Yuuko) have told us so many times, CAN'T happen. The gesture is nice and all, but he's basically willingly becoming like Yuuko was, which is not something I expect she would wish him to do.
I really wouldn't have thought that Wata would do this. I thought it was likely he'd take over the shop, but not, well, forever.

And I don't care that it's his choice. Yuuko just died before his eyes, I think his judgment might be a little compromised right now.

As for the smoking It's a horrible habit, and like people have said, Watanuki has told off Yuuko for doing it before. It's like he's trying to be her (hence the kimono) when he should just be being Watanuki!
And as much as I don't like psychoanalyzing characters I like, it's another example of how Yuuko's death is making him make bad choices. I understand why he would make them, I guess... Well not the smoking, but the waiting in the shop, but that's not enough for me to respect it enough to say that it's his choice and he's justified in making it.
 

bookology

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
1
Gender
Female
Country
Bahamas
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I think even the Clamp girls don´t know very well what to do.:blink
 
Last edited:

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I definitely think Watanuki is exxagerating when hesaid forever.I'm pretty sure that it won't tle forever and because of that egg Yuuko will be back. Xxxholic is not supposed to be a sad story but rather a mixed one of intrigue sadness happiness comedy and wonder. As for the whole idea of Watanuki becoming Fei Wong I thought so too but the idea of Watanuki turning into the whole villain of the two wolds is too scary to bear and slightly ridiculous but then again the clones of Syaoran and Sakura turned out to be the parents so I don't know....
 

watanuki01/04

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
140
Reaction score
28
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I wonder when his lost memories in Mokona's earing will come into play? Yuuko has said before that it will play a big part in the plot for both xxxholic and TRC.
 

oralyon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
213
Reaction score
39
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I don't think watanuki will simply become FWR. I guess the egg is some short of way to prevent it or to save him.
 

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

A couple of things I'm not sure about:

1.) In the beginning, Watanuki spent time with Yuuko cleaning and working because that was the price to pay for his ability to see spirits. Now that Yuuko is gone, and he wants that ability still, what will that 'time' be spent for?

2.) I think xxxHolic IS ahead of TRC, because where the hell did the Syoarans have time to give Watanuki back his glasses?

3.) As for the whole Watanuki-FWR presumption, I still don't know. It's definitely a possibility, but like I said, Watanuki is a good hearted kid. If anything, he's learnt from Yuuko. I don't think he can become the whole villain of both series.

4.) The egg...doesn't bring "anything". Therefore, it must bring something insubstantial. Like memories, or powers- not things, but something incorporeal. Even feelings. I don't know. One of those things though.

5.) When Watanuki dies, will the balance between the dimensions rip apart? I've always wondered that. Does that mean Watanuki will have to 'endure"? In truth, everyone dies, but in order to keep that loop/future, he has to stay alive. So either TRC cast finds a way out of the loop, or everything goes again and again...

All this time dimension thing is going over my head, and i'm a Doctor Who fan for god's sake. XD
 

DontWakeMeUp

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Messages
294
Reaction score
39
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I don't really think that Watanuki's decision will be permanent. It's a huge resposibility for someone young like him, and I know he's paying a "price", but it's still a big sacrifice. He doesn't really... want to do it; rather, he feels obligated to.

I agree that him wanting to see Yuuko again is similar to FWR; it is kind of scary. :/

HOWEVER,
he has accepted the fact that she is dead. He wants to see her again, but he knows that it will take some time for him to do so. So in the meantime, he's waiting (as a price).
This is in contrast with FWR because FWR wants Yuuko to remain living. He hasn't been able to accept the fact that she's gone (just as everyone else eventually dies).

I don't know what Yuuko would have wanted him to do... I would think that she'd just want him to live normally with the people who care about him... but who really knows? Unless we get confirmation later on, Watanuki sounds like he's really going to stick to his decision.
 

ZaCloud

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
176
Reaction score
75
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I've been figuring all this time that Watanuki needed to exist; Syaoran has emphasized the all important "Don't disappear!" to him constantly. His friends have emphasized it to him constantly. Doumeki has pretty much become his samurai guard to make sure he would remain living. Yuuko's wish was for Watanuki to go on living.

But then, what is living? I was figuring all this time, that it was to have a full life. For Watanuki to go forth and be an individual, and forge his own unique path in life. To validate his existence in the hearts of others. What we all consider existence.

But... what if it's supposed to be quantity rather than quality? What if he's making this (what I see as poor) choice, so that he can truly follow what everyone keeps telling him: Don't disappear...? By staying in the shop... he'd literally be following all those bombarded requests for as long as possible.

Snowolf, your number 5 runs into that possibility. I'm starting to wonder if that's the CLAMP-logic behind this seemingly illogical decision.

Granted, I'd much rather Watanuki be himself though. His worth as an individual was what was emphasized throughout the story, and I'd hate to see him lose that.

On one hand... he never really has existed the same as regular people. He doesn't remember knowing anyone other than his small circle of friends... the same people who are the only ones who remember Yuuko-san.

Could the egg seal that bond and help them all remain alive along with him? Cuz if he remains quasi-immortal, then the only people he knows and loves would eventually die and leave him alone... That'd be unbearable!

The bonds he has with Doumeki, Himawari, the fortune-teller lady, Kohane, and Zashiki-warashi (Pleeeeaaaase tell me he can still interact with her!!! :sad ) have become centric to his existence. Yuuko-san too, yes, but he still has the rest of them... and he needs them!

Man... ironically, him becoming the person he is mourning reflects on my nickname (ZaCloud)... like in Final Fantasy VII
Cloud took the identity of his best and only friend, Zack, when he gave his life to save him. He took on his personality traits, trying to make it so Zack effectively lived on instead of Cloud. In doing so, Cloud pretty much lost his own identity through most of the story, until he was forced to confront the truth.

It's a coping mechanism... Maybe it can turn out decently that way, but I've always cheered for Watanuki as an individual... and I want him to stay that way! Doumeki, please, give him a talking-to...

(I'm so afraid he'll use the egg to bind himself to the shop too, so he can stay with Watanuki... which that'd be sort of cool, but it'd only make the decision far too permanent when I think Watanuki needs to re-think this whole thing! Or only take the shop but as he, himself.!)
 

DontWakeMeUp

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2009
Messages
294
Reaction score
39
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

ZaCloud:
Great points you made there; especially what you said about quality and quantity. By staying alive for so long, he really would be doing what others have told him to... but it'd just be... well, taken to more of an extreme?

I grow more and more anxious as to what Doumeki will do, and just how he and Watanuki will fit into each other's futures. (No, I'm not saying any yaoi or anything xD I would just like to see how their relationship... 'grows'

The egg can still be used for anything at this point, so whether it'll be used to connect Watanuki with Doumeki, Yuuko or someone else can all be possibilities.

And I always forget about the other earring. x_x After the story being stretched over such a long period of time, you forget a lot. Heh...
 

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

Nice points ZaCloud :D

As for Watanuki to go living on, I'm sure Yuuko meant happily. I think Watanuki isn't really going to be happy by his decision, but he does feel as if it needs to be done. I don't think he's made a mistake- he might have rushed into it a bit, but I am sure we're not going to wait forever for Yuuko's return. By making that decision, CLAMP has obviously made a statement that Watanuki's wish will be granted in some fashion. Now whether it's the fashion we expect or desire is a question however. CLAMP always has a thing up their sleeves. XD

As for the earring, I don't know- it could have a purpose. I think the egg is a little more important. The fact that Doumeki said "I can't use it <i> on </i> him" kind of means that it's some kind of spell? Or power? 'On' is used, not 'for'. So I'm curious.

As for Watanuki becoming the shop keeper, I wonder how he's going to do it. His name means prophet and he bears a similar being to that of Clow himself. Are these important? Does Watanuki hold some power he's unaware of (rather than that of his existence)? And I think Watanuki might just have to 'endure' in a way that we don't know as of yet. Maybe not live forever, but maybe his existence, not his body or mind, will continue. Something like that....
 

watanuki01/04

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
140
Reaction score
28
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

I've been thinking about Watanuki's power, and i thought thaf if RShaoran has CShaoran's magic circle, could Watanuki then inherit CSakura's power of the stars and her magic circle? Just seems logical to me!
 

idlemind009

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Aug 4, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
4
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

The reality of Watanuki's choice hit Doumeki once Watanuki told him he'd no longer be attending school. (Re-read the chapter to glaze over Doumeki's shocked expression. 0_0 )

When you learn you expand your life. Learning more today than you what you did yesterday...that's the key. School is the foundation of this knowledge.

To tell Doumeki that he wont be attending school means that he is essentially cutting himself off from a vital aspect of life. He is no longer living.

He even risk no longer being able to see Himawari. Yuko wanted Watanuki to "live-on". Choosing the shop goes against Yuko's wishes.

After reading "ZaClouds" comments I re-thought my idea of living. Yuko, although bound to the shop has touched the lives of countless others. I can't imagine Watanuki ever being as cold as Yuko can be. Her work requires a great level of detachment. (which made her bond with watanuki even more special, a young look-alike of her possibly former lover?)

I think Watanuki is mistaken but he has made his own choice. Watanuki says that as a price he paid the time inside of him. Which is something I think was already taken from him since the very beginning. When Yuko and Watanuki first meet she extracted from him his watch symbolizing his time. In return all he received was a fortune telling of something he already knew about...even if he was still ignorant.

That could have been an imbalance ... the valuable watch for being told he can see spirits ?

Im thinking about the whole transaction, he gave her his valuable timepiece and received nothing in return expect for his servitude at the shop. His time was the first thing he gave to her. And so he spent countless hours in the place, suffering and learning and forming unbreakable bonds and changing during this process. Yuko is bound by that shop fated to grant the wishes of others all the while fully knowing she could never have her own wish granted. Which is probably why she gave Watanuki such a sweet silent smile when he asked if he could grant her wish. Yuko was like a genie, seemingly omniscient and in full understanding of the human dram, stuck inside her shop/lamp , where wishes are granted.

And now Watanuki has chosen to take her place! WTH is he thinking?

Yuko was not evil nor was she good. Perhaps a master at the art of compromise?

In spite of everything. Yuko always did the best thing she could do for her clients, even if it meant harming them.

Yuko had to take Watanuki's time away from him because at "that" time he would have never done so willing.

Whether or not Yuko was Watanuki's damnation or his salvation is in my opinion yet to be seen.

Im hopeful for the better outcome since it's apparent that Yuko DOES care for him.

Remember that Watanuki was never supposed to exist. He was literally the by-product of an accident.

Perhaps an existence in the shop would be best for him ?


Why would Yuko wish for Watanuki to "live on" while also saying that Maru and Moro will need someone to look after them ?


Doumeki's egg might contain yuko's feelings and perhaps her true wish ?

There are some major contradictions going on...ugh I cant wait for the next chapter ! lol
 
Last edited:

Sush

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 15, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
1
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: xxxHolic 185 Discussion/186 Prediction Thread

Oh oh Watanuki, you´re sooooo simply stupid. I really hope that Domeki´s going to hit you for this.
 
Last edited:
Top