Seinen xxxHolic by CLAMP

Who is your favorite xxxHOLIC character?

  • Kimihiro Watanuki

    Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Yūko Ichihara

    Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Shizuka Dōmeki

    Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Himawari Kunogi

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mokona Modoki

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Kohane Tsuyuri

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Maru and Moro

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haruka Dōmeki (Shizuka's grandfather)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mugetsu (Kudakitsune)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zashiki-warashi

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Reed Clow

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

    Votes: 1 2.2%

  • Total voters
    45

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
Re: Your favorite xxxHOLIC character

But Yuuko is dead :(

What alive characters are your favorite?
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
xxxHolic 208 Discussion/209 Predictions Thread

chapter 208 is out. :)

I got dizzy of Doumeki's grandfather explanation on festivals/calendar & stuff, but its nice to see Ame-wareshi once more.
 

ZaCloud

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
176
Reaction score
75
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 208 Discussion/209 Predictions Thread

Ooooh, awesome. That was so cute of Zashiki to pick those for Watanukiii :amuse

This was a neat story, a nice little self-contained tale. And thought-provoking, when speaking of the world's debt... :o

(But is it just me, or is the artwork VERY different compared to the previous chapter? It's almost like one of the other artists or even an assistant did most of it this time around... :blink )
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: xxxHolic 208 Discussion/209 Predictions Thread

Ooooh, awesome. That was so cute of Zashiki to pick those for Watanukiii :amuse
I wish Zashiki and Watanuki meet once more.

Rebuilding the garden in some kind of lake was cool, though I just find it weird for Wata having this steps/walk above the water.
It was very thoughtful of Watanuki to send of those chrysanthemum sake to his friends but I think Doumeki was quite more heedful for Wata because he thinks Watanuki is the one who needs most of that purified drink.

(But is it just me, or is the artwork VERY different compared to the previous chapter? It's almost like one of the other artists or even an assistant did most of it this time around...)
I think its just same as the previous artwork, although I like the colour pages recently than before, they were much better, imo. :)
 
Last edited:

ZaCloud

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
176
Reaction score
75
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 208 Discussion/209 Predictions Thread

I think Wata's eyes looked bigger this time, and the artwork way more simplified. Not that it's bad, just different.

I forgot to say before... I'm blown away with how powerful Watanuki's become. It's amazing! :o
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: xxxHolic 208 Discussion/209 Predictions Thread

Well, there are some of the pages I observed too that Wata's eyes got more rounder & bigger than before but others still same for me..

Yeah Watanuki really goes more stronger and I'm happy there are friends who helps him so that he became more better than he was before even without Yuko-san.

Also I like his dress when he performed the chrysanthemum ritual. :)
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

chapter 209 is up :)

Himawari already has a husband, after a long time Watanuki wasn't able to see her. Though I guess they had phone calls for communication.
I like Kohane-chan growing up beautifully with the pretty dress she wear on this chapter.
Seems like Watanuki is a false name according to the girl that came from the box Doumeki brought (the box was from the university professor).
I wonder what is real Wata's name then, and who was that mysterious girl from the box.
 

ZaCloud

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
176
Reaction score
75
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

Oooh, more mystery! Always a staple of this series.

It seemed a bit abrupt, to suddenly be like "Oh btw, Himawari's married, so no pairing anymore. Oh btw, Kohane n Wata suddenly have more chemistry, here ya go!"

Not that I'm dissatisfied with the result; I think that the time-warp allowing Wata and Kohane to have more romantic vibes is very nice, and they'd make a very cute pair. :nod But, just saying this was rather abrupt for CLAMP, and for being such a long-running story, in the way it was handled. Having to simultaneously suddenly grieve for the loss of the WataXHimawari pairing and cheer for WataXKohane... just, major whiplash there.

Glad they're still great friends at least. Their phone conversation was very human and made me smile. A good, subtle establishment of friendship and a lot more slice-of-life than the usual for this series.

Definitely looking forward to the mystery of this girl.

(And I wonder if Wata's real name is
Tsubasa as well... with Watanuki given to him to protect him by making it different)
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

Yup its kind of rushed info that Himawari got married when for a long time she wasn't around. But I hope there is a reason why it has to happen and not just for the pairing reasons. I do prefer DouxKohane more but its much better if they highlight Kohane's progress of her power.
I guess the time skip left some questions that needs to be answered.

The mystery girl reminds me of ashura from Shura country (TRC). They kind of look alike but I hope its not her.
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

I don't know how abrupt this feels for me. I sort of had the feeling that Himawari is no longer a romantic option for Watanuki since the time skip happened. She had been mentioned before this chapter, and Watanuki did not have the same reactions to the thought of her as he did in the past. While it could have just been a sign of maturation, I interpreted it as foreshadowing of something, and apparently it foreshadowed Himawari getting married.

I hope that we get to see Himawari and her husband in the future. I wonder how the two met and how Watanuki took it when it happened.

Kohane is a really good match for a pairing with the current Watanuki, but I still sort of think that Doumeki is a pairing partner for Watanuki. (I don't think that they would ever be romantic, but I sort of see them as soul mates.)

(And I wonder if Wata's real name is
Tsubasa as well... with Watanuki given to him to protect him by making it different)
Great idea! I would not be surprised if that turns out to be Watanuki's real name. That or...
Syaoran :mokona
 

Asahina

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
376
Reaction score
266
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

I really don't understand where the plot is going...
Ok, Yuki died. Watanuki takes over the place. His 1st crush is already married.
Doumiki & Watanuki seems to be "more than friends" at this point..only problem is that they aren't gay...which gets me wondering - what else are we expecting from this manga?

There is nothing interesting I'm sensing..at all.
I guess I'll have to update myself with the anime...maybe then I could understand why I liked this series so much before.
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

I really don't understand where the plot is going...
Ok, Yuki died. Watanuki takes over the place. His 1st crush is already married.
Doumiki & Watanuki seems to be "more than friends" at this point..only problem is that they aren't gay...which gets me wondering - what else are we expecting from this manga?

There is nothing interesting I'm sensing..at all.
I think the story introduces the important events that happened/is happening to the main characters in a bit abrupt way but it might have some reasons. True that the story went time skip after some few years and lots of things had happened for the characters which may not be quite interesting or entertaining like before when Yuuko was alive, but I think its the manga's style of introducing maturity for the characters. Together with it, the issues that were handled by the characters (especially Watanuki who handles the customers of the shop) shows more complicated stuff than before which I think is just suitable for the current story's and characters' progress/development.
Though somehow, I miss the old times of Watanuki and Doumeki's humour.

Anyway, I hope sooner or later, Wata finds more clues about his identity (just like in the current chapter).
 

ZaCloud

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
176
Reaction score
75
Age
43
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

Well, the reason I liked this series before, was 1, the characters, and 2, the moral lessons and social commentary that the customers brought with them. For each of them, getting their wishes granted or falling victim to their faults, it always made me think about life and humanity in a brand new way.

For a while, the story was losing that second aspect, and focusing on the characters more. Which was cool, I liked it, but now I realize that it's returned to bringing the second aspect back. I only just now realized it while reading your comment, Asahina. :sweat

So, we get to see how wise Watanuki has become, figuring out how to keep helping people as has always been his nature, but with the wisdom and wonder of Yuuko to show how she's still in his heart.

Maybe the abrupt, odd pacing is to reflect how time passes so differently for Watanuki. How sometimes things move very slowly and carefully, and yet life's big events happen in seemingly the blink of an eye.

Now that I got to think about that, maybe it's to help immerse us into Watanuki's different flow of time. Where gentle events flow by slowly and he relishes each nuance. And everyone around him keeps growing and changing outside the shop, at a pace that feels fast for a being who has become timeless.

Maybe this is hidden genius at work, supposing this was indeed the intention. I'm glad I got to think of this. Thanks. ^_^
 

Lady Sakura-chan

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2009
Messages
197
Reaction score
21
Gender
Female
Country
Sweden
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

I AM BACK FROM THE GRAVE!!!! Did you guys from TRC forum miss me?

Does anyone elese think that the littel girl in the box is Ashura? I think so.
Himawari-chan is married. :) I did not see that comming. Kohane-chan is very beautifal, I think wow. :)
 

Lady Sakura-chan

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2009
Messages
197
Reaction score
21
Gender
Female
Country
Sweden
Re: Your favorite xxxHOLIC character

Still it is Yuko for me. :)
 

Lady Sakura-chan

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2009
Messages
197
Reaction score
21
Gender
Female
Country
Sweden
Re: The Yuuko Ichihara Shrine

I hope that we`ll se her again.
 

Asahina

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2008
Messages
376
Reaction score
266
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

I think its the manga's style of introducing maturity for the characters. Together with it, the issues that were handled by the characters (especially Watanuki who handles the customers of the shop) shows more complicated stuff than before which I think is just suitable for the current story's and characters' progress/development. Though somehow, I miss the old times of Watanuki and Doumeki's humour.
Yeah, I guess you are right...

But all we really see Watanuki do is just give a certain gaze, smile with his eyes closed, make a polite or sophisticated remark about something and then try to act like he's in control of the whole situation. :s (walking or floating above water or ground..wtf?)

No matter what he does, I can't accept him as the new Yuuki.
And I hate how Doumeki comes back to the shop with his suit on (looking like the "husband" coming from work) and Watanuki wearing the Kimono (acting like a woman making recipes upon recipes and cooking for him)...What worries me is the fact that he doesn't complain at all towards Doumeki. :blink Did he really lose that much of his old personality?

the moral lessons and social commentary that the customers brought with them. For each of them, getting their wishes granted or falling victim to their faults, it always made me think about life and humanity in a brand new way.
Yeah, now that I think about it, the moral lessons and the way Yuuko influenced characters (at the same time teaching Watanuki) made things interesting. At the beginning of the manga, I was just reading the manga as if I was in Watanuki's shoes; ;) Like as if Watanuki was the actual reader of the manga who is introduced to a whole new concept because of some mysterious 'witchy' woman and her cocky statements about "coincidence" and "destiny" and the sort.

But then when Doumeki got introduced, I just hoped it wouldn't be a permanent meeting. :notrust But it obviously became one, and now I really don't like how they are good pals now.

I don't even know if I made any sense. :darn
 

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

I for one, am personally loving the transition. It's a great way to see how Watanuki has matured and how he takes his upbringing, as we could loosely call it, into practice. I honestly have no idea how this phase will last- I expect it to be for sometime, but I really don't have any problems with this phase. We have a more serious, mature tone of course, with the result of losing the geeky jokes and such, but they're not lost completely- CLAMP has made sure of that with the little taunts Watanuki shares with Doumeki and Maru/Moro & Co. I also don't feel like the change in Watanuki's personality has been too rapid- it's been ten years after all. While I do feel slightly annoyed with the random skips in time, it makes sense- after all, CLAMP would not draw xxxHOLiC for ten years to see how slowly Watanuki matures.

I do miss Yuuko and hope for her to come back soon, but I personally feel satisfied with where the manga's currently heading for. I'd like to lay back and see what happens. :D

(Also, is it me or is there a HUGE delay in the chapters coming out in japan and the Edited Mangas being released? If there's trouble with the production of good scans, I'd love to help!)
 

watanuki01/04

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
140
Reaction score
28
Gender
Female
Country
United Kingdom
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

Hey everyone!!
Spoiler alert because i'm gonna be mentioning Clamp's new work 'Mangettes: Gate 7' but this does link with the last chapter of XXXHolic too.

The girl in the box looks a lot like one of the main characters in Gate 7.

http://www.flyluo.com/showpic-tid-60925-page-1.html

There are also some other links to Holic in this. The main Male Character at the start looks like a mix between Shaoran and Watanuki. Plus, there is some referrences to the School Watanuki went to.

What do people think?
 
Top