Seinen xxxHolic by CLAMP

Who is your favorite xxxHOLIC character?

  • Kimihiro Watanuki

    Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Yūko Ichihara

    Votes: 19 42.2%
  • Shizuka Dōmeki

    Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Himawari Kunogi

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mokona Modoki

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Kohane Tsuyuri

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Maru and Moro

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haruka Dōmeki (Shizuka's grandfather)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mugetsu (Kudakitsune)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zashiki-warashi

    Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Reed Clow

    Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

    Votes: 1 2.2%

  • Total voters
    45

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo

The art looks amazing anyway, if only we could get a group interested in Editing the series.

Personally I am more interested in the female on the main page: she looks like a chibi Yuuko with Syaoran's eyes.
But yes, the main character looks a lot like Syaoran imo, but I'm not sure about Watanuki, maybe the hair?
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo

Hey, guys! I just wanted to let you know that, if you are really interested in Gate 7, there is a thread devoted to the one-shot here in the Shounen section.

So, after you check out the manga, if you want to discuss it beyond the context of xxxHolic and focus on the content of it itself, go there! :mokona

I have not yet looked at it beyond the front page, but the girl on the front page does look familiar to me too. (I'm not sure just yet of whom I'm reminded, but it is certainly something.) Perhaps there is some connection in the stories. (Note: I haven't read Gate 7 yet, and so I am basing this on only the cover and the two posts about this above me. I am totally prepared to be wrong on this. :sweat)
 

kurofaikitty

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
76
Reaction score
16
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

Ugggghhhh . . . i haven't commented since Rau (Reo? Rao? CAGE) whatever began for this series, tho i ranted about it in my head. but this time i have to say something.

while i do love the thing about Himiwari being married, i have to wonder HOW, wouldn't her powers, you know, kill him? i get the feeling that special wine or whatever Wata-chan gave them was to help with that. either that, or he has magical powers like Dou-chan.

on another note, i hate to say it but Watanuki/Kohone is ew for me. majorly. first of all, no ageing or not, that's still pretty pedo-ish. to me.

and two. WTH CLAMP. how dare you build up Doumeki to be Watanuki's soulmate and then be all, "la-di-di, here's Kohone" and such. i'm hoping he still sees her as a sister figure as he did in the past, really, because as it stands it's just giving me the willies. and plus, why not give the egg to Kohone then? huh? it was given to Doumeki for a reason, that he's the only one wo can save Kimihiro from whatever is to come. not Kohone, not Himiwari, Doumeki. B< and i'm not just saying this chiz as a DouWata fan, i woulda been (grudgingly) okay with WataHima, but Watanuki and Kohone is just . . . no. just no.

okay, i'm done, *wanders back to depths of hell*
 

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 15, 2007
Messages
6,247
Reaction score
2,771
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 209 Discussion/210 Predictions Thread

while i do love the thing about Himiwari being married, i have to wonder HOW, wouldn't her powers, you know, kill him? i get the feeling that special wine or whatever Wata-chan gave them was to help with that. either that, or he has magical powers like Dou-chan.
Yeah, I had not thought about that. Himawari's husband might have new powers; Watanuki might be sending her something periodically to keep her powers in check; or something might have happened to Himawari over the course of the years to cause her to lose her supernatural misfortune.

We really do need to see more of Himawari and her husband, but I feel like it seems like this may be something that we will find out in drips and drabs because the primary action seems to focus in Watanuki's space and I don't think we will see Himawari and Watanuki in the same space for quite some time.

on another note, i hate to say it but Watanuki/Kohone is ew for me. majorly. first of all, no ageing or not, that's still pretty pedo-ish. to me.
I disagree with you on this issue. I don't think that their ages are all that different, to be honest. When Watanuki was a teenager, Kohane was a preteen. (I don't know their ages, but she looked to be at least 10 to me.) Kohane is now a young woman of university age (around 18), and if Watanuki were still aging, he should only be in his upper twenties, which is not the big of a deal as an age difference at that stage in their lives.

and two. WTH CLAMP. how dare you build up Doumeki to be Watanuki's soulmate and then be all, "la-di-di, here's Kohone" and such. i'm hoping he still sees her as a sister figure as he did in the past, really, because as it stands it's just giving me the willies. and plus, why not give the egg to Kohone then? huh? it was given to Doumeki for a reason, that he's the only one wo can save Kimihiro from whatever is to come. not Kohone, not Himiwari, Doumeki. B< and i'm not just saying this chiz as a DouWata fan, i woulda been (grudgingly) okay with WataHima, but Watanuki and Kohone is just . . . no. just no.
Like you seemingly, I preferred DouWata over WataHima during the original (mainly because I never was very fond of Himawari), but I always liked Kohane and thought she had a very nice connection with Watanuki (obviously not romantic back then, but a really good bond nonetheless).

Now that she is older, I wouldn't mind if WataKoha is explored a bit, but I think Doumeki is still Watanuki's soul mate. Yes, I think that Watanuki's relationship with Kohane has advanced somewhat, but his relationship with Doumeki has grown and is a lot more profound than it was before the time elapse. Kohane hasn't replaced Doumeki as Watanuki's seeming "special person" yet; she has just taken Himawari's place as the other pairing possibility for Watanuki, which I welcome.

okay, i'm done, *wanders back to depths of hell*
Please come back from hell more often! ;) Even if you have a dissenting opinion, your voice still adds to the discussion when you give your opinion so thoughtfully and ardently. :nod
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: xxxHOLIC spoilers thread

A bit of spoilers for chapter 210...

..chinese scans

..translation from tsuyuhime
Opening text: The request this time is… to guess the true nature of the youth who appeared from the box given by the university professor!

Page 01
W: … Can I ask questions?
H: You cannot tell simply by looking at me, you mean?
W: I’m still not that good yet.
H: Then, by the basis of your name, I will allow four questions.
(TN: The person’s language is quite formal/old, even though I’m not translating it in that way.)

Page 02
W: Is it something used in daily life?
H: No.
Once placed, it shall not be touched.
W: Is it something used in magic?
(TN: Magic, spells. Whatever you want to call the ‘powers’ in holic)
H: Yes.
It is not used for ill purposes, but for praying.
W: How so?
H: To prevent disasters and protect one’s family.

Page 03
W: The colors of these floating banners include
Green. Red. Yellow. White. Black.
Are the colors related?
H: Yes.
The five colors together make the true appearance.
W: …
H: Answer.

Page 04
W: Then lastly, let me ask another one.
H: I cannot allow that, as you have asked four questions already.
W: If we are basing it on the numbers in my name, after four questions, there is one more.
After all, my last name is ‘April’ ‘first’.
H: Only for this time then.
W: Thank you very much.

Page 05
W: Is the place you are supposed to be
One in which light does not reach?
H: Yes.
The place where I stay is one where light does not reach.
Answer quickly, one whose fake name is Watanuki.

Page 06
W: You should be a ‘heigushi’, right?
(TN: If anyone has a better translation of that word, I’d appreciate knowing it.)

Page 07
D: Watanuki?

Page 08
W: … It said… I was correct.
D: So, it is a heigushi?
W: Because it was disassembled, so the professor not recognizing it is understandable.

Page 09
W: Originally
It should have been like this, as its name suggests, connecting everything through the middle.
Heigushi is an ornament placed on the central beam of a building on its completion ceremony.
(TN: There’s a background on the ceremony mentioned here. Basically, from what I gathered, it’s the day when the central beam of the house is placed onto the house properly. Which should mean that the house is now complete, thus the way I translated it.)
It is to pray for happiness and avert disaster for the family who will live in the house.
It has many different appearances, as well as different names by which it is known. But most of them have five-colored streamers. This stems from the ‘five phases’ way of thinking.

Page 10
D: Wood is green. Fire is red. Earth is yellow. Metal is white. Water is black. The colors are used to represent them as such, right?
W: Yes.
It was fortunate that these papers were here. It was a big help.
Besides, if it is ‘placed in a location where light does not reach’, then it must have been that.
D: If the correct answer wasn’t guessed, I wonder what would have happened.
W: Looks like this was a heigushi for a building with a lot of history.
Moreover, it was carefully treated by the people there.
Otherwise, it would not have come with a human appearance to speak with me.

Page 11
W: Ah. Whether it can stay here like this now is a problem.
D: It wasn’t discussed beforehand? If so, what would have happened if you didn’t guess correctly?
W: If it was discussed, and made the other party upset, then I wouldn’t have been able to ask questions.
It would have been impossible to guess without hints.
Ah. This can be thought of as just tactics.
We now know what it is.
But like I said before, this heigushi cannot be treated like a dead thing.

Page 12
D: Tsukumogami?
(TN: spirits that originate from items that have reached its 100th birthday and thus become alive and aware)
W: Putting it like that isn’t wrong.
Heigushi seemed to ‘want to be at the place where it is supposed to be’.
That is to say…
D: It wants to exist as a heigushi.
W: That’s right.

Page 13
D: Does it want to be placed on the beam of a building?
W: But if it isn’t a suitable building for it, it wouldn’t agree either.
D: …
…How about a temple?
W: Hmm?
D: A familiar acquaintance’s temple’s main hall is being renovated right now.
How would the beam there do?
W: Is it a good temple?
D: Mm. It has some history, and the priest is a good person as well.

Page 15
W: … ‘Yes’, right?
There won’t be any problems with the professor?
D: Let me explain it to him. He should understand.
What about the price?
W: Mm…

Page 16
W: You can bring some liquor to that temple’s completion ceremony, as a congratulatory gift.
Then, bring some of the same liquor here.
D: Alright.
W: This means that the request has been completed, right?
D: Mm.
W: Then let’s keep drinking.
Eh?

Page 17
W: You want to drink even though it’s not the completion ceremony?
That really is an amazing alcohol tolerance.
Doumeki, you’ll have to prepare some good liquor for the ceremony.

Page 18
W: I need to go get another cup, and some more liquor. This isn’t enough for three people.
D: There’s the liquor I brought today.
W: It would be good if it hasn’t been opened by Mokona yet.
…
D: What?
W: … Do you have plans to renovate your temple?

Page 19
D: No.
W: Calling it a temple, it might as well be a residence…
D: There aren’t any plans.
W: … Ah, nevermind.
It doesn’t need to be done immediately.
Talking about it now is still too early.

Page 20
W: I have now seen a heigushi with history. When the time comes, I will make it for you.
D: … Mm.
W: The object that protects the home
And the family that lives in it.

Ending text: A friend’s ‘home and the family that lives in it’… The thing that Watanuki truly wants to protect is…

source: http://tsuyuhime.livejournal.com/6243.html#cutid1
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo

Oh.... that's.... Hopefully it means a soon-to-come conclusion, considering how nobody knows how "soon" soon is.
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo

I wonder how that 'soon' on concluding xxxHolic on finals chapters will be.

Gonna miss the manga if it would happen, though after the arc where Yuuko died somehow made the plot/story of the series a bit clouded/confusing so I hope before it ends, there would be answers on some things like Watanuki's identity as well as if Wata will meet Yuuko again..
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
xxxHolic 210 Discussion/211 Predictions Thread

xxxHolic chapter 210 is up :)

Atlast Watanuki guessed the identity of the mysterious girl from the box, a 'heigushi'.
Watanuki's quite clever to have a fifth clue using his birthday as an excuse (4/1) instead of just only four clues. :amuse
Though I wish next time it would be Watanuki's turn to find out he's real name.
 

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 210 Discussion/211 Predictions Thread

Right; I just downloaded the raw of the 211, and I'm in the process of cleaning it up right now so that if anyone's willing to translate, I can typeset and get it out for you all!

From what I've seen, it's somthing like this:

Watanuki is walking in the rain, looking at some flowers when he sees a woman (ghost?) appear. She's holding an umbrella and she's crying. I'm assuming Watanuki asks her why and she gives an answer. He then talks with Doumeki about it, sees the woman, goes back to talking with Doumeki, and sees the woman again (this all happens in about 4-7 pages) and finally converses with her (and I'm thinking does a request?) She's still crying and it's raining (so I'm presuming this has all taken place on the same day) and finally she's surprised and finds a man who gently has his hands on her shoulder (her lover/husband/someone dear to her) and considering the circumstances, I'd say he's already moved on and she hasn't (maybe she's waiting for him?) but he takes her and she fades away. Watanuki takes her umbrella and then goes back inside the shop and leaves some last remarks with Doumeki.

I just want to clarify: there HAS been some nasty rumours going along that xxxHOLiC is ending, and while it may seem so with the dragging chapters and the shortening pages (this one was only 24 pages) it does say that xxxHOLic is reaching a 'climax' similar to the one spoken of TRC when it was on it's last arc, BUT it then says "an unexpected development". So I'm assuming this was just build up and hopefully we're getting something a little more exciting along the way.
 

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo

I'd just like to tell you all here straight out- xxxHOLiC is NOT ending, because if you read the translation properly, it says "reaching a climax...AN UNEXPECTED DEVELOPMENT".

I'm pretty sure a development is not an ending. And if you all remember, they said the same thing about TRC in January and it didn't finish until SEPTEMBER. So I'm not really sure, but it sounds like xxxHOLiC is still up and running. I do hope they get a move on with it though; things need to be tied up and with Gate 7 on the way, they need to act quickly to ensure a good ending of xxxHOLiC.
 

Snowolf

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
200
Reaction score
30
Age
36
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: xxxHolic 210 Discussion/211 Predictions Thread

Okay, I cleaned up 211 to the best of my abilities. You can download the RAW here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?a3elv6un35u38qj

If anyone's willing to translate, I'd be able to typeset it and release it! So it'd be great if anyone could do that. :D
 

twoearphones

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 16, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Gender
Hidden
Country
Vietnam
Haruka's death and appearance in dreams.

WARNINGS! SPOILERS!
(sorry i have no idea how to do the spoiler box)


i was wondering, haruka is dead, but he is still able to appear in watanuki's dreams, why is that so ? does this mean yuuko, or clow reed can contact through dreams as well ? ... will they ?
i just finished rereading the series, it has been a while so i might have skipped some details about this, please tell me if i have :P
maybe the circumstances of their deaths are different, or maybe haruka's not really dead o0o hitsuzen (i joke :P)
i've also seen various posts saying something like a girl came to the shop with a tape that has yuuko's voice in it. if this is in the manga, then i have not gotten there yet. so is it in the anime ? isn't the anime different from the manga though ?
so yeah, just trying to comfort myself and find a way back for yuuko because YUUKO DON'T LEAVE ME ;_____;
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
xxxHolic 211 Discussion/212 Predictions Thread

Chapter 211 scan is up :)

Just a simple chapter here Watanuki found a lady customer who wishs to see her love one. He helped her understand how to use correctly the charm she had on the umbrella so the lady and her lover could meet.
The payment was the umbrella with the serpent's eye charm. I hope the umbrella would help Watanuki in the future in fulfilling his wishes too.
 

ibra87

天のデンマーク語
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
May 18, 2006
Messages
6,110
Reaction score
1,288
Country
Denmark
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo

Hmmm, now I'm confused :)
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo

@ibra: I agree, its quite confusing but the common thing about the news is, it looks like holic would end the next month or two. :darn

If they'll release the last one, two or three chapters, the conclusion for the manga would be abrupt, imo. I think it would be better to have it on hiatus storywise, but probably clamp's all set for the new series instead.
 

bellcrossage

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2007
Messages
183
Reaction score
28
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: The xxxHolic Mega Convo

@ibra: I agree, its quite confusing but the common thing about the news is, it looks like holic would end the next month or two. :darn

If they'll release the last one, two or three chapters, the conclusion for the manga would be abrupt, imo. I think it would be better to have it on hiatus storywise, but probably clamp's all set for the new series instead.
The manga's ending on the 9th of February. This article states that it'll end on that date.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: xxxHolic 211 Discussion/212 Predictions Thread

It is weird to see that Clamp going to move to Kodansha's biggest rival's magazine.
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
Re: xxxHOLIC spoilers thread

chinese scan for chapter 212
http://www.imanhua.com/comic/151/list_51555.html?p=1

translation from radiomacrossing
Page 1:
I want a way to get out of there
To fly to the one I love

Page 6:
Doumeki: And then you woke up
Watanuki: Yeah
Doumeki: It’s done.
Watanuki: Put it in.
Watanuki: Alright

Page 7:
Watanuki: …..
Watanuki: OK
Doumeki: It’s good.
Watanuki: I see.
Watanuki
Watanuki: Hirezake (sake with blowfish) is really great for winter.

Page 8:
Doumeki: So.
Doumeki: Whose dream was it?
Watanuki: I don’t know, because I woke up right away.
Watanuki: Well,
Watanuki:: I’ll find out when I see it again.

Page 9:
Watanuki: If it’s necessary.

Page 10:
Watanuki: A butterfly again.
Watanuki: It’s not hot. It’s not cold. There’s no wind. There’s nothing.
Watanuki: Just a world with a butterfly.

Page 11:
Watanuki: Whose dream could this be?
Watanuki: Do you
Watanuki: Want to tell me something?

Page 12:
Watanuki: What do you want to tell someone?

Doumeki: And then that’s where you woke up again?
Watanuki: Yeah.
Doumeki: So, in the end, you weren’t able to find out whose dream it was.
Watanuki: Yeah.
Watanuki: But, if there’s a necessity for me to know, I’ll probably see it again.

Page 13:
Watanuki: The continuation of that dream.
Watanuki: A butterfly again.

Page 14:
Watanuki: Won’t you tell me?
Watanuki: What you want to tell me?
Watanuki: At least, if I knew whose dream this was.
Watanuki: Oh well.
Watanuki: I’m going to search around a little.

Page 15:
Doumeki: You searched, but didn’t find anything, and then you woke up.
Watanuki: That’s right.
Doumeki: This is the first time I’ve heard you say that you couldn’t understand a dream, Watanuki.
Watanuki: Yeah.
Watanuki: It’s been a long time for me too.
Watanuki: Eat some konnyaku too.
Watanuki: It’s good, this konnyaku.

Page 16:
Doumeki: It may taste that way.
Watanuki: You don’t like the texture.
Doumeki: Yeah.
Watanuki: For such a huge body, you sure are picky.
Doumeki: Body size and texture have nothing to do with whether you like something or not.
Doumeki: …What are you going to do?
Watanuki: It doesn’t look like there’s anything that I can do.
Watanuki: I’m certain it wants me to do something, so I’ll see it again.

Page 17:
Watanuki: The continuation of that dream.

Watanuki: It really is pitch black.
Watanuki: And there’s a butterfly flying.
Watanuki: Hey, won’t you tell me?
Watanuki: What you want me to do, or what you want to tell me?

Page 18:
Watanuki: And, whose dream is this?

Page 19:
Doumeki: You asked, but you didn’t get an answer and then woke up.
Watanuki: That’s right, but the way you say that irritates me.
Doumeki: I’m not really implying anything.
Watanuki: I know that, but sometimes it irritates me. Remember that.
Doumeki: Alright.
Doumeki: What’s (on the menu) today?
Watanuki: Potstickers. That’s why there’s Laochu (sp).

Page 20:
Watanuki: You seem very happy.
Doumeki: Because it’s good.
Watanuki: Thank you very much.
Doumeki: What are you going to do next?
Watanuki: I’m going to try to use a spell.
Doumeki: Even though you don’t know who the requestor of this job is?


Page 21:
Watanuki: Well, to me, butterflies are special.

Page 22:
Watanuki: We meet again.
Watanuki: Now, I’ve continued to see this dream so many times.
Watanuki: It’s definite that you need me for something.
Watanuki: Then won’t you tell me today what it is?

Page 24:
Watanuki: Sorry to scare you.
Watanuki: If you tell me, I’ll let you out right away.
Watanuki: What did you come to tell me?

Page 25:
Watanuki: What?

Page 26:
That form was the beloved person he continued to wait for a long time. Next issue, last episode of xxxHolic.
 
Top