Discussion - Your favorite comics! | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Your favorite comics!

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Here are some of my favorite comics, in more or less detail;

Blacksad by Juan Díaz Canales (writer) and Juanjo Guarnido (artist)

Blacksad is film noir styled detective story set in late 50s America, each volume being on individual case. It tells the story of hardboiled private detective Blacksad. All characters are anthropomorphic animals reflecting their personality and role in the story. For example most of police force are canids, while criminals are often reptiles. The main cast consist of Blacksad (black cat), side-kick and journalist Weekly (least weasel) and police commissioner Smirnov (german shepard). Blacksad himself is the only character who appears in every volume.
The art is simply phenomenal. The look is fairly realistic, yet the characters very expressive. Fully colored, beautifully with watercolors. Very cinematic, and wonderfully impressive camera angles in lot of panels, especially when there is action.
Story is also good. Not extremely original, though that is expected in the film noir style. A few suprising twists and nicely handles some typical themes as racism and the tensions of Cold War.

Bone by Jeff Smith

Bone centers around three ”Bone” cousins. Small, bald, white cartoony creatures. After some comedic disaster related to mayor elections they are ran out of Boneville. While crossing a desert they get in a sea of locusts and are separated. Each of them eventually find themselves in the mysterious Valley, inhabited by talking animals, savage rat creatures and dragons. Local men do not believe in the dragon part, but a big red one seems to bother Fone Bone regulary. Fone meets and falls in love with human girl Rose. Rose takes him to her homefarm, where she meets her grandmother and is re-united with his cousins. However, the dark and enigmatic Lord of Locusts threatens all other living things in the Valley.
Starting out as comedy and developes in fullfledged fantasy adventure of a clash between good and evil. It stills keeps the comedic edge thorough the story. The gags and some dialogue is absolutely hilarious, amazing comedic timing. The characters are loveable and the plot thrilling. Smiths art is very polished and especially his story telling abilities shine. Great composition and diving of the panels, to get the reader to experience the whole impact of both comedy and drama. Simply awesome on every aspect.

Maus by Art Spiegelman

Biography of the authors father Vladek, a polish jew and a survivor of the holocaust.The frame story is son interviewing him to make a comic of his fathers life story, and it jumps between 70s/80s New York and Vladeks memories from Poland during WWII. The trick is, jews are mice and nazis are cats. Worth noting that this is the only comic ever to win a Pulitzer.
All I can say is wow. Incredibly touching story, with many levels. Not only what happens in Vladeks life, but his sons struggles with Vladeks diffficult personality and trying to understand him. The use identical animal characters to depict different nations raises interesting point, absurdity of categorizing people like that. A lot of thematic depth, a lot to study and think in this piece of true art. Artstyle is rough, but fits the story just perfectly.

Others I enjoy greatly but are too lazy to write a better descriptions now are Sandman, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the movie is horrible compared to the original, nothing in common), lot of other works my Alan Moore, Hellboy, Asterix, Tintin, and Don Rosas Scrooge McDuck. Among others.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
@CrudeCross
Corte Maltese is great both in art and story telling. I hope you find them translated once.

@Ustegius
Nice choice Ustegius, Maus is indeed one of the comic Masterpiece. An another american comic I love is Blankets by Craig Thompson, do you know about it.
Blacksad is also very good, I was so jealous when Mashima said he received a dedicated album in his musing.

As for some other of my favorite comic in no particular order
La quête de l'oiseau du temps by Loisel, probably one of the best fantasy comic of all times.
Le Combat ordinaire by Larcenet. These three tomes were really touching. You immediately feels empathy toward the characters
Le chat du Rabbin by Sfar. At least the first album is very good, he made an animation adaptation recently, check it out if you have the occasion

As for classical
Gaston Lagaffe by Franquin. Everyone knows about Asterix, but Gaston shall be the real hero of Franco-Belgium comic
Philémon by Fred. Fred imagination is just crazy, I wish there were authors like him in the new French artists generation

Ochiru

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Finland
So theres even comic thread around here well all I can say that I have not exactly one favourite certain book but I can admit it that 8I just love Batman comics such as Batman:Year One,Batman:The Killing Joke,Batman:Under the Red Hood,Batman:Death in the Family,Batman:Knightfall,Batman:Dark Victory,Batman:Lonely Place for Dying,Batman:Knightfall,Batman:Battle for the Cowl¨
and as for current comic book series im reading are detective comics,action comics,Batman,Red Robin,Nightwing,Batman Incorporated and well anything from Justice League which has something related to Batman or Red Robin

SnuggleCupcake

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
I could never pick a specific issue, especially from any of these comics but these series would absolutely be my top ten!

Empowered(Dark Horse) - I haven't read the newest volume just yet but let's just say that this comic has been an incredibly emotional journey for me! I have loved it ever since volume 1(when it was weird and quirky) and through all the silly and dark elements of it and I definitely recommend it to anyone who would like an incredibly silly yet deeply emotional experience with reading a comic series. It is on the mature side though, so keep that in mind. ^^

Runaways Vol. 1-5(Marvel) - Jo Chen is what got me into this series because she's one of my favorite artists and I read it when I was quite a bit younger so the whole teen angst thing really hit home with me. I just fell in love and knowing there's a fifth series has been a huge highlight to my year ^^

Spider-Gwen Vol. 1-2/Ghost Spider(Marvel) - Spider-Gwen is another really good one that I picked up at just the right time in my life! I relate so much to the sorts of things that Gwen Stacy endures during these comic book runs and I definitely recommend it to anyone looking to process some tough feelings!

Supergirl Vol. 5-7(DC) - I'll admit it was the New Earth Supergirl that got me into reading Supergirl comics. She was a childhood crush of mine and I've followed her ever since!

Invincible(Image) - By the same guy that did The Walking Dead comics, it's a completed series with a fun take on the whole superhero world thing. It actually has a very enclosed superhero existence, where there are some crossovers to other Image comic series but nothing requires all the same crossovers that you see in Marvel and DC. It's nice to have that breath of fresh air.

Ultimate Spider-Man Vol. 1-2(Marvel) - I'll admit I haven't read anything with Miles Morales in it yet(cause I buy comics, and it's a very expensive hobby) but Ultimate Spider-Man is a much darker take on 616verse and I like it a fair bit more than I do the 616verse Spider-Man because it feels more ruthless and raw and fun!

I Kill Giants(Image) - A friend recommended this to me a few years ago and honestly it made me cry so much, and I quote parts of it very very often when comforting friends. I definitely recommend this as the another 'will make you cry' series!

Amazing Spider-Man Vol. 1-5(Marvel) - I grew up with Spider-Man comics because my mother read them as a kid! So no matter who writes it, Spider-Man will always have a place in my heart.

X-23: Vol. 1-4/Target X(Marvel) - I just love X-23 and the artists she's had! I've had a crush on her since Nyx and I just love her so much omg

Sunstone(Image) - I will say nothing about this one.