Favorites Your Favorite Secondary Characters

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I can't believe I couldn't find a thread for this. Secondary characters can be so much cooler than some main characters to be honest :D

My favorite minor characters are:
Hoshigaki Kisame of Naruto
First of all, he has a pretty striking optical design as the shark similarities are obvious. I didn't even like it at first, but as I liked him as a character I got used to it :P
He's absolutely not dogged, other than so many other characters, but always seems to be in a good mood and a pleasant guy to talk to - when he's not the enemy at least. At the same time he's a brutal and crazy fighter with a strong blood lust.
His flashback about his past enhanced my positive opinion about him further. It's been quite epic in my opinion to see the very reasonable developement how he became the seemingly crazy and weird character he was later and how he noticed his own descent into an isolated life, but clung to the first person he was able to trust.

Hitsugaya Toshiro of Bleach
I think most people who read Bleach liked him, it's pretty hard not to do so :D

My absolute favorite is Judeau of Berserk though:

He seemingly isn't very old, but an extremely reasonable, friendly and bright character. He always knows when it's a good moment to talk to someone and what to say to make others realise their own feelings and their relationships to others. He never got angry over all of the story but always improves the situation with his friendly style. At the same time he precisely knows when he just has to stay out of other people's business or keep others out of such.
About himself he says that he always was blessed with slightly over-average skills in everything, but that he cannot reach a top level in anything, so he wants to stick to someone outstanding.
If there's a character in all of manga I'ld consider to be a model to follow for myself it'ld probably be him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nGv8a_yWqU (his dialogue with Gatsu between 6:30 and 9:30 is quite characteristic for him, especially after they left the tavern: Just a few words, but exactly the right ones, making Gatsu processing his own feelings and point of view)
 
Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I find both Kurama and Hiei from Yu Yu Hakusho, Sanji and Robin from One Piece, and Kakashi, Jiraiya, and Itachi to be among my favorite secondary characters. They just ooze awesomeness and cool. Kurama, Kakashi, Itachi, Robin, and Jiraiya are smart as hell, and all of them listed can be pretty funny.
 

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
11,919
Reaction score
10,372
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
my favorite non-main characters are marco and law from one piece.
I love the devil fruit of Marco, so beautiful when he fly. Law look totally badass, he's my favorte supernova.
i also love sech from gunnm last order, he rock ;)
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Irie Shoichi (KHR): He's simply amazing and was the first character I grew attached to. He's one of the strongest characters I've ever encountered in any piece of fiction. Not in a kung fu way though. He has unbelievable mental and emotional fortitude.

Shiratori Shun (Bakuman): Lately I've began to harbor an unhealthy enormous love for Shiratori-kun. :P I love how he never gives up his dream even though his mother doesn't approve of what he does.

Higuchi Yuuya (Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro): He can become really obsessive, which is quite funny. :XD
 

<.Haruka.>

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2009
Messages
629
Reaction score
385
Gender
Hidden
Country
United Nations
The secondary characters are the ones I prefer most of but not all on the manga series I read. These tops my list:

Pandora Hearts - Gilbert and Break
Arakawa under the Bridge - Sister and Maria
Until Death do us Part - Genda, Sierra, Igawa, Dai Ibuki, Juliett and Daiba
xxxHolic - Doumeki
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles - Kurogane and Mokona
Code:Breaker - Yuuki, Shibuya and Rui
Fullmetal Alchemist - Mei-chan and Riza Hawkeye
Naruto - Kakashi, the sand siblings, Killer Bee & Jiraiya

Simply just love them how they support the protagonists on the story and even comes up as unique characters even some of them shows up on quite few chapters.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I love Gin from Bleach. Creepy, snake eyed, sinister henchman are always better than the main villain.

Serpico from Berserk is another favorite. I love how he was introduced as casual, almost uncaring about his duties as a soldier, only he turns out to be almost a match for Guts. Another character who rarely opens his eyes.
 

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 20, 2008
Messages
12,457
Reaction score
6,167
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Shao from PSYЯEN. Don't really have a superb explanation to why but for the fact that he's awesome. He's arrogant yet humble, he's quiet, poetic, and he can see the "True Nature" of people. He's basically one of the coolest side-characters ever.

I'm also madly in love with Sai and Neji from NARUTO for being incredibly awesome both of them :wtf
 

After_Image

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 27, 2009
Messages
1,657
Reaction score
2,855
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yoruichi from Bleach. She is one of the few that still hasn't disappointed me, especially being a female character in Bleach.

Maria from Arakawa Under the Bridge. When she speaks you know someone is going to feel like they died a little inside. :XD
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Gonna add some:

Thorkell of Vinland Saga. It's one of those totally battle-crazed guys. In his case, he thinks it would be a good idea to get to Valhalla, the legendary viking heaven which can only be reached by honorably dying in battle. If I remember correctly he's already in his 40s or 50s. He even joins the britains to fight against his fellow vikings, because he thought it would be boring to just roll over the inferior british army. Later he shows some seriousness as well.
He's a ridiculously strong fighter and best known from this shot:

Thors of Vinland Saga. A total badass fighter who became kinda pacifist in his later life. He shows unsurpassable determination and calmness in regards of threats against his life.

Bjorn of Vinland Saga. A character without much importance, yet he's kinda the symbol for the "real viking". He shows fidelity till death.
He later is badly injured and when he feels his death drawing near, he takes his sword for a last time to -badly handycapped - start a duell with his leader to have a "Viking's death" in combat.



Fi/Fee of Planetes. A militant tobacco addict. Actually I don't really have an idea why, but she's cool. She changes her hairstyle from time to time, but has rather middle/short hair.
Can look quite badass:
 
Last edited:

p1xel

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
416
Reaction score
27
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Shiratori from Bakuman. Really a nice character.
Gin from Bleach. Epic smile:D
And Nishi from Gantz, if i can call him a secondary character. Mysterious man...
 

hibar90

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 22, 2010
Messages
343
Reaction score
79
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
In RK I found almost all secondary characters cooler than Kenshin. Especially Saito Hajime (the guy who use lit up cigarette to shut you up) and Seijuuro Hiko.

Ryuuji from Shonan Junai Gumi.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
My favorite minor characters are:
Hoshigaki Kisame of Naruto
First of all, he has a pretty striking optical design as the shark similarities are obvious. I didn't even like it at first, but as I liked him as a character I got used to it :P
He's absolutely not dogged, other than so many other characters, but always seems to be in a good mood and a pleasant guy to talk to - when he's not the enemy at least. At the same time he's a brutal and crazy fighter with a strong blood lust.
His flashback about his past enhanced my positive opinion about him further. It's been quite epic in my opinion to see the very reasonable developement how he became the seemingly crazy and weird character he was later and how he noticed his own descent into an isolated life, but clung to the first person he was able to trust.
wow a fellow Kisame fan, that's nice to see :) Good description, he's one of my favourity secondary characters as well.

Grimmer from Monster: One of my favourite characters in Monster. Even though he has gone trough so much and practically hasn't any emotions, he's still a nice and caring person.
His final moments are so sad and moving :crying
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Oh Grimmer was great, totally one of my favorites in Monster. Tough past, yet so caring personality. Well, it's my personal interpretation but I always thought he had feelings, but just sub-consiously denied them due the trauma. Perfectly feelingless person wouldn't be so nice.

Urasawa's series have many likeable secondary characters. From 20th Century Boys Yoshitsune is among my top. Mousy weak little scaredy cat, who in the end proved to among the most loyal and strong willed companion of Kenji. Kind man with a good heart.

I'm not a big Naruto fan, or atleast not as big as I used to be, but I also like Kisame. I never really understood all the craze about Itachi, Deidara, Sasori and even Hidan. I always thought Kisame was the coolest and most bad-ass.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Oh Grimmer was great, totally one of my favorites in Monster. Tough past, yet so caring personality. Well, it's my personal interpretation but I always thought he had feelings, but just sub-consiously denied them due the trauma. Perfectly feelingless person wouldn't be so nice.

I'm not a big Naruto fan, or atleast not as big as I used to be, but I also like Kisame. I never really understood all the craze about Itachi, Deidara, Sasori and even Hidan. I always thought Kisame was the coolest and most bad-ass.
You're absolutely right! As for your interpretation, I do think you're right again. I thought the same, feelings can't totally vanish and I was happy when he got his emotions back.
Forgot it to say last time but "Thors" from Vinland Saga is definitely great too. His speech about a true warrior don't needing a blade was epic. And btw, congratz for becoming a mod ;)

Dr.Stein from Soul Eater: I like his character because he's always between sanity and insanity. He's one of the few guys who could turn to the other side anytime.
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Hara Keito of Kokou no Hito
It's actually not much known about him... he appears and vanishes quickly and so far hasn't been seen again. He considers himself a free/solo climber who'll always climb alone. I was absolutely certain to see him again soon, but that simply didn't happen, pretty weird.
(Kokou no Hito is pretty realistic about climbing, so it is extremely deadly to attempt difficult routes without safety equipment and a team)



Oniishi-Sensei of Kokou no Hito
Buntarou's teacher both at school and in climbing. A very honest, direct and friendly guy.

Thrax the Scythian of Historie
Doesn't speak much, but it seems that honor and freedom means everything to him. Remains calm and swift no matter what situation he's in.

Daedaus of Historie
Someone totally torn between beeing a serious inventor/craftsman and extreme childish joy in his work, made me laugh :D (especially bottom right panel :XD)
http://i4.mangareader.net/historie/49/historie-1005284.jpg
 
Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Nishi form Gantz has always been my favorite secondary character, the way his character is build represents him to be cruel however he just represents a dark side of human behavior I believe Oku wanted to represent that it does not matter how old you are, in Nishi's case a 14 year old boy, some humans are just cruel and strange.

Goto/Godo from Berserk, I mean the guy is just a typical old man that really gets my respect, I like all the things he did for Guts. I just liked his overall part in the story for some reason.

Rolo from Code Geass, many might consider him leading, but all his actions pointed that he was secondary, I loved him overall character as well.
Well he was a rather confused character, but ended up being a good brother to Lelouch even though he was not his biological brother. I liked how he rescued him from the Black Knights.

Mr Satan from Dragonball Z, I mean if you do not like this guy for comedy you have got to love him for all the confusion he makes. at one point I did not like him getting all the fame and fortune but I soon got used to it and learned to like him.

Four Eyes(I don't remember his real name) from Liar game, pure hearted character I think he is one that was just mixed in a wrong game, still he is a real refreshment to the series.

Matsuda from Death Note, I always found clumsy characters to be really good-hearted, he liked to serve for the greater good I think.
In the end his character was really well done with him trying to kill Light.

Takeru
from Digimon Adventure, well not much to say, again many will consider him a lead character, and I thought he will be the lead character but I suppose in the first anime he was not such a lead character, but oh well I liked him again for being so honest and pure of heart, which was understandable he was so young.

Kuma from One Piece, hm what can I say my favorite shichibukai and well a really great character, also:
Well I always think he is one of the good guys, if not the best good guy, he made himself into a cyborg for some reason I know it, I sure wish his human personality returns.
 

Asclepius

MH Senpai
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Feb 1, 2010
Messages
9,412
Reaction score
5,154
Gender
Female
Country
Brazil
From D.Gray-man: Tyki Mikk, Road, Sheryl and Wisely. Acyually, Tyki is my favorite character from DGM.

From Naruto: Zetsu, Juugo, Mizukage, Gaara, Shikamaru, Neji, Kurenai, Minato, Kushina.

From Bleach: Hitsugaya, Ukitake, Zangetsu, Byakuya, Yoiruchi and Ulquiorra.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Roy Mustang, Riza Hawkeye, Hohenheim, and Scar are my favorite from Fullmetal Alchemist.

From Death Note, L is my favorite.

From Kimi ni Todoke, I like Yano, Yoshida, and Ryu. Yano's intelligence and wickedness is pretty awesome, and Yoshida's personality is awesome! Ryu's pretty cool, especially the way he caught the ball before it whacked Sawako.

From GE - Good Ending, I like Utsumi's friend... the one that knows a lot about women, apparently.

I forgot Trafalgar Law! Thanks to Sari (below my post) for reminding me! <3

Bloody Monday - Otoya's pretty awesome and reliable!

Piccolo from Dragon Ball is cool too. Serious, but he can funny at times. Kuririn is epic as well.

Hm, what other mangas have I read/do I read?
 
Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Let me add one more to my roster!

Trafalgar Law (ONE PIECE): I want the other Supernovas to reappear; more specifically I want to see Law again. XD He's impolite, nonchalant and the epitome of cool. He has a bear in his crew so that quirkiness draws me in as well. Hopefully more will be known about him in the future. My reasons for liking him is pretty shallow right now. :p

EDIT: You ninja'ed me, Milly!
 

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2010
Messages
2,476
Reaction score
1,663
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Gotta add Chiaki of Tenjo Tenge, Bob's very dedicated girlfriend.
Has a super cute voice in japanese :wtf
1_20080316_223828.jpg

eventually Bob is my second favorite character of that series after her, while I don't really like Tenjo Tenge itself :&
 
Top